Broadhalfpenny Down was the home venue of the Hambledon club from 1756 to 1782. The venue was originally the village's sheep common and was also used for racing, but when Richard Nyren took over as landlord of the Bat and Ball, adjacent to the ground, it really took off and staged some of the era's great matches. Nyren moved to The George at the Hambledon club followed him, switching their home to Windmill Down.
For over a century no cricket was played on Broadhalfpenny Down but its place in cricket history remained. In the early 20th century a few games were played there and in 1924 Winchester College bought the freehold with the aim of encouraging more regular use of the ground.
After World War Two the Royal Naval Signal School at HMS Mercury - the home of CB Fry - took over the lease and some of its officers founded the Broadhalfpenny Brigands CC in 1958. They still play there.