Purchased on a lease in 1902 - the freehold was bought in 1924 - and the home of Castleford CC, the pavilion was built in 1925 and later that decade it was first used by Yorkshire 2nd XI. In 1959 the venue was bought by the local council.
Savile Park hosted one Yorkshire match, albeit in odd circumstances. Rain washed out a Gillette Cup tie against Cambridgeshire at Leeds and the alternative - Bradford - was also unplayable. So the teams decamped to Castleford where it started raining on arrival. Eventually a ten-over game took place. A second senior game was held in 2000 when MCC played Zimbabweans.
In 2004 the pavilion was the subject of an arson attack but it was refurbished in 2006-07.