Bagh-e-Jinnah ground, previously known as the Lawrence Gardens, dates back to the days of the British rule and, according to historians, cricket started being played here in the 1880. The Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir and his counterpart, of Patiala, had regular fixtures against Lahore Gymkhana, Punjab XI and other teams on this ground.
The ground played host to friendly matches, competitive fixtures as well as a British Army vs World XI and a Commonwealth XI vs Punjab XI before playing host to Pakistan's first unofficial Test against the West Indies in 1948. A few more unofficial Tests later, Bagh-e-Jinnah became a Test venue when Pakistan took on India in 1955. New Zealand and West Indies also played a Test here before Bagh-e-Jinnah lost its Test status as it played second fiddle to Gaddafi Stadium but still hosts tour matches involving visiting nations, especially England.