2nd Test, England v Pakistan, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1547th Test match in cricket history.
- It was England's 781st and Pakistan's 278th Test match.
- It was the 60th match between these two sides. The record now reads : England 16, Pakistan 10,drawn 34.
- It was the 39th match between these two sides in England. The record now reads : England 14,Pakistan 8,drawn 17.
- It was the fourth match between these two teams at Old Trafford. Pakistan has won one, while remaining three matches were drawn.
- David Shepherd was officiating in his 56th Test match which places him second among the umpires with most Test appearances alongwith West Indian Steve Bucknor. Now only Dicky Bird, another Englishman, with 66 appearances is ahead of Shepherd. The other umpire Eddie Nicholls was standing in his 16th match.
- When he reached 5 in first innings, Inzamam completed 5000 runs in his 74th Test (and 122nd innings). He became fifth Pakistani and 47th batsman overall to do so. Others with 5000 runs in a career for Pakistan are Javed Miandad (8832 runs in 124 Tests),Salim Malik (5768 in 103) and Zaheer Abbas (5062 in 78).
- When he dismissed Marcus Trescothick in first innings, Wasim Akram equalled England's Brian Statham's record of dismissing 102 batsmen as `bowled'. Now Akram is just one short of Fred Trueman's world record of dismissing most batsmen in this fashion.
- The third wicket partnership of 267 runs between Michael Vaughan and Graham Thorpe in first innings was England's best for this wicket against Pakistan in all Tests. This obliterated the previous highest of 227 between Alec Stewart and Robin Smith at Edgbaston in 1992.
- The partnership was also the highest for England against Pakistan for any wicket beating the 248 run-partnership between Colin Cowdrey and Ted Dexter for second wicket at The Oval in 1962.
- Inzamam-ul-Haq (114 & 85) twice top scored in the match for Pakistan. It was the fourth instance when He was performing this feat. The other three occasions being such occasion for him when he top scored in each innings of a Test for England. The other occasions being : v Zimbabwe (71 out of 322 & 65 out of 158) and (101 out of 231 & 83 out of 250) in the first and third Test at Harare in 1994-95 and v Sri Lanka (86 out of 256 & 138 out of 421) at Karachi in 1999-00.Inzamam now holds the record of top scoring in each innings of a Test on most occasions for Pakistan moving ahead of Wasim Raja who had three such instances. Inzamam also joined the ranks of four other batsmen -David Gower,Mike Atherton,Brian Lara and Andy Flower-who had top scored in each innings of a Test on as many as four occasions. The world record, however stands on the name on Indian little master Sunil Gavaskar with five such instances.
- The wicket of Andrew Caddick in second innings was 150th for Saqlain Mushtaq in his 35th Test. He became 65th bowler in Test annals and eighth Pakistani to reach this milestone.
- The wicket of Darren Gough in second innings was 50th for Waqar Younis against England in his 11th Test. He became third Pakistani after Abdul Qadir (82 wickets in 16 Tests) and Wasim Akram (57 wickets in 18 Tests) to do so.
- Wasim Akram has now dismissed 79 batsmen for a duck in Tests which equals West Indian Courtney Walsh's world record. Akram, though has played in only 102 Tests as against Walsh's 132. Incidentally a total of 10 bowlers have recorded 50 or more scoreless victims. Akram and Walsh are followed by Curtly Ambrose (76),Kapil Dev (68),Richard Hadlee (66), Waqar Younis (66),Imran Khan (61), Glenn McGrath (60),
Malcolm Marshall (57) and Bob Willis (57).
- England,comfortably placed at 229 for four in second innings ,was reduced to 230 for eight losing four wickets while adding only one run. It was the joint worst four wicket collapse for an English side against Pakistan. England was bundled out for 175 after being 174 for six in the Lord's Test in 1992.
- England's total of 261 was its highest against Pakistan in the fourth innings of a Test. The previous highest was 243 at Lord's in 1996. England suffered defeat on both these occasions. Incidentally England's highest winning total in the fourth innings of a Test against Pakistan is 219 for seven at Headingley in 1982.
- For only the fifth time in Test history a two match series ended with a score of 1-1. The other such series are : England v Australia in Australia (1876-77),Australia v Pakistan in Australia (1976-77),Pakistan v New Zealand in Pakistan (1996-97) and India v Pakistan in India (1998-99).
England's overall Test record : played 781,won 265,lost 225 and drawn 291.
Pakistan's overall Test record : played 278,won 79,lost 68 and drawn 131.
Nasser Hussain's captaincy record : played 21,won 9,lost 6 and drawn 6.
Alec Stewart's captaincy record : played 15,won 4,lost 8,drawn 3.
Waqar Younis' captaincy record : played 3,won 2,lost 1.