Glamorgan v Surrey, Friends Life t20, Cardiff July 1, 2011

De Bruyn and Roy outmuscle Glamorgan

ESPNcricinfo staff

Surrey 169 for 4 beat Glamorgan 151 for 7 by 18 runs

Zander de Bruyn and Jason Roy scored half-centuries as Surrey overcame Glamorgan by 18 runs in their Friends Life t20 South Group clash at Cardiff.

As soon as Glamorgan decided to bowl, Surrey became favourites for the win on a pitch that turned appreciably later in the game. They posted a challenging 169 for 4 thanks to Roy and then de Bruyn, who put on an unbroken stand of 92 with Zafar Ansari in 51 balls. In all 102 came from the last 10 overs - 65 from the final five.

In reply Glamorgan were always behind the rate and could only make 151 for 7, although Graham Wagg made a valiant 46 from 27 balls.

At the start of the match Glamorgan looked as if they were going to restrict Surrey to a much smaller total when they reduced them to 42 for 3 in the fifth over. Skipper Alviro Petersen gambled by opening the innings with his off-spin, but it paid off as he removed Steve Davies for a duck by pinning back his off stump.

Two overs later Chris Cooke pulled off a fine catch at extra cover to dismiss Surrey captain Rory Hamilton-Brown to give James Harris a wicket with his first ball in this year's tournament. Former Glamorgan batsman Tom Maynard struck Harris for six over long-off, but in the next over the bowler had his revenge when he was caught at backward square.

Roy struck Croft, who only bowled two overs, for a straight six to bring up his half-century from 31 balls before he was caught at mid-wicket off Jones. But the turning point in Surrey's innings was Gareth Rees dropping De Bruyn at long-on off Simon Jones on 27. He made the most of his let-off, sweeping Dean Cosker for a six and a four from consecutive balls as 49 came from the final four overs and he finished on 70 not out from 52 balls.

Glamorgan's reply was not helped by the fact they lost their overseas openers - Petersen and Mark Cosgrove - in the opening eight overs. Petersen was caught at extra cover and Cosgrove was stumped off Ansari. Glamorgan also lost Rees for just 2, caught and bowled by Gareth Batty as they were left a challenging 112 from the final 10 overs.

Wagg tried his best to get his side back in it, but they were always going to finish second best after being required to score 50 from the final three overs.