St Anne's was situated within the grounds of St Anne's House, the largest dwelling in Barnes. In 1888 the pitch was let to the Lyric Club - whose members included leading players such as WG Grace - and the fixture list was a whose who of the top social clubs. In 1890 the Lyric Club played and won a first-class match against the touring Australians. But, for reasons unknown, the following year the club was in financial trouble and in 1892 it was wound up. Cricket continued on the site for a few more years until the house was demolished in 1900 and the land built over.