Rutland Cricket Club have had several grounds, but the present site was first opened in 1883 - the land loaned by the Duke of Rutland on the understanding that the local authority would develop it into a recreation ground. In 1914 George V visited and the land was finally passed to the authority and the new extended ground was finally opened on May 6, 1925. Derbyshire played the first match there later that summer, and continued to do so until 1980, although they did return for three Championship matches in the early 1990s. The venues chequered relationship with the local authorities flared up again when a proposed massive redevelopment of the whole site in 2002 into a multi-purpose sports centre, costing millions of pounds, turned into a farce with the cricket club the obvious short-term loser.
The record crowd was 10,000 for the Championship match against Nottinghamshire in 1948.