The ground was situated on the East side of Love Lane, which ran north to south linking The Avenue with St.Mary's Street, the ground being 50 yards south of the junction of Onslow Road with Love Lane. The first known match played there was on August 23rd, 1839 when North of Hampshire opposed the South of the county. In
1842, Thomas Chamberlayne, Sir Frederick Bathurst and Sir J.B.Mill financed the development of the ground and installed Daniel Day in the adjacent Antelope Hotel and the first important match was staged there on Sept 5 and 6, 1842, when Hampshire opposed England. Five matches were played on the ground whilst it was under the supervision of Daniel Day
at it is referred to in reports as 'Day's Ground' rather than the Antelope.
|1842||Hampshire 67 and 27 lost to England 99 by an Inns & 5 runs.|
|1843||Nottinghamshire 209 & 78 beat Hampshire 131 & 117 by 39 runs.|
|Hampshire 129 and 87 lost to MCC 222 by an Inns & 6 runs.|
|1844||MCC 143 & 45 lost to Hampshire 107 & 85 for 5 by 5 wickets.|
|1845||MCC 119 & 142 beat Hampshire 64 & 59 by 138 runs.|