Cricket has been played at Worthing since the early 18th century, but the first recorded game took place in 1771. On April 20, 1855, Worthing CC was formed and cricket has been played at The Manor Ground ever since, with a five-year gap in the Second World War when the land was dug up for allotments. The large expanse of land, enclosed on three sides by housing and the other by a traditional stone wall, has also hosted the internationally famous Worthing Hockey Festival since 1939. It is, however, rather let down by the inter-war pavilion which achieves the distinction of combining poor facilities with a lack of aesthetic appeal.
Sussex first played at Worthing in 1935, and continued using the ground until 1964. In 1999 Sussex resumed playing second team cricket at the venue.