Kynaston Studd      

Full name John Edward Kynaston Studd

Born July 26, 1858, Netheravon, Wiltshire

Died January 14, 1944, Marylebone, London (aged 85 years 172 days)

Major teams Cambridge University, Middlesex

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm fast

Education Eton College; Cambridge University

Relation Brother - GB Studd, Brother - CT Studd, Brother - AH Studd, Brother - HW Studd, Brother - RA Studd

Batting and fielding averages
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
First-class 54 96 3 1681 154 18.07 1 11 22 0
Bowling averages
Mat Balls Runs Wkts BBI Ave Econ SR 5w 10
First-class 54 500 322 12 3/32 26.83 3.86 41.6 0 0
Career statistics
First-class span 1878 - 1885

Sir John Edward Kynaston Studd, Bart., O.B.E., the eldest but the last of three brothers who captained Cambridge in consecutive seasons, gained high renown in other walks of life before passing on at the age of 85 on January 14. Altogether six brothers Studd played in the Eton XI, those besides the three Cambridge captains, being A. H., H. W. and R. A., and the youngest of them, R. A., got his Blue at Cambridge in 1895, while an elder half-brother, E. J. C., played for Cheltenham in 1866. G. B. captained Cambridge in 1882, and now of the three he alone survives, C. T., most famous in the cricket world, having died in 1931. All three were in the Cambridge eleven of 1881 when Oxford won by 135 runs, and the next year they helped in a revenge victory by seven wickets with G. B. in command, a result exactly repeated under C. T. in 1883; but strange to relate Oxford turned the tables by the same margin when J. E. K. led the Light Blues. At Eton J. E. K. Studd was never on the losing side in the big School matches with Harrow and Winchester, but in these seasons his best score was 52 against Winchester in 1877. After two years in business J. E. K. went up to Cambridge and was four years in the eleven without doing much in the University match, his aggregate for eight innings reaching only 100, but in 1882 he and his brothers took a large share in defeating by six wickets the great Australian side who later in the season beat England at Kennington Oval by seven runs. J. E. K. scored 6 and 66, G. B. 42 and 48, C. T. 118 and 17 not out. When Cambridge batted a second time requiring 165 runs for victory, the two elder brothers put up 106, the first appearance of three figures on the telegraph board against an Australian side in England without a wicket falling. After leaving Cambridge, J. E. K. Studd played occasionally for Middlesex, but gave his time to business and the Polytechnic, of which he was President from 1903 until his death. Knighted in 1923, Sir Kynaston became Lord Mayor of London in 1928 and was created Baronet at the end of his official year. When President of M.C.C. in September 1930 he gave a banquet at Merchant Taylors' Hall to the Australian team captained by W. M. Woodfull. Canon F. H. Gillingham, the old Dulwich College and Essex batsman, in his address at the Memorial Service in St. Paul's Cathedral, said that after coming down from Cambridge Kynaston Studd realised that games were but a preparation for sterner duties, and in his presence it was easier for men to be good and harder to be bad. He made such rapid progress in the life of the City that he became the leading citizen of this Empire. Everything he touched he lifted up. As a Merchant Taylor and Fruiterer and a high officer in the Masonic world, Sir Kynaston exercised his splendid influence in the quietest manner, with benevolence a leading feature in his character.
Wisden Cricketers' Almanack