England news

Pietersen exile ends with India call up

David Hopps

October 18, 2012

Kevin Pietersen looks on from the balcony after his first-ball duck, Hampshire v Surrey, CB40 Group B, West End, August, 19, 2012
The wait is over: Kevin Pietersen is back in the Test squad after 73 days © Getty Images

Kevin Pietersen has been added to England's squad for the forthcoming Test series in India, so bringing to an end one of the most extraordinary stand-offs in the history of the game between a star player and those appointed to rule.

It has taken 73 days for England and Pietersen to patch up their differences since he followed up what should have been one of the most triumphant moments of his career - a stirring century in the Headingley Test against South Africa - by talking of deep and perhaps irreparable divisions with the ECB and some members of the England dressing room.

Once the parties began to talk, the "reintegration process" of Pietersen into the England side took only a couple of days. It just took them an extremely long time to talk.

Pietersen flew back to England from the Champions League in South Africa this week for a series of meetings in Oxford and London with Andy Flower, England's director of cricket, the captain Alastair Cook and key England players with whom his relationship had become increasingly fractious. Even a delayed flight could not prevent the speedy patching up of their differences.

Confirmation that the Cold War was coming to an end came in Colombo a fortnight ago when Giles Clarke, the chairman of the ECB, flanked by a nervous Pietersen, pronounced that it was time for "forgiveness" and a reintegration into "our society."

Hugh Morris, England cricket's managing director, made what followed all sound eminently straightforward, saying: "We were keen that Kevin should hold a series of face-to-face meetings with team management and senior players before the Test squad departs for the UAE and India next week.

"The meetings were constructive and cordial and all outstanding issues have been resolved. All the England players and management are now keen to draw a line under this matter and fully focus on the cricketing challenge that lies ahead in India."

In their desire to impress upon Pietersen that no player, however talented, was greater than the team, England lacked their most destructive batsman and arguably failed to qualify for the World Twenty20 semi-finals in Sri Lanka while he was employed instead as a pundit in a Colombo TV studio.

Considering the political machinations that have gone on behind the scenes, the announcement by Geoff Miller, the chief selector, of Pietersen's return to England's fold could not have sounded more deadpan.

"We are pleased to welcome a player of Kevin's proven international calibre back into the Test squad for such an important Test series," his statement read. "As we anticipate that Ian Bell will return home for the birth of his first child around the time of the second Test in Mumbai, the team will benefit from having an extra batsman in the squad and all players who were originally selected for the tour will fly out as planned next week."

The addition of Pietersen will give England more options at the top of the order, bringing the possibility that he cdould bat at No 3, so allowing Jonathan Trott to be considered as an opening batsman in preference to the two other batsmen originally earmarked for the role, Nick Compton or Joe Root.

Pietersen has been given licence to fulfil his Champions League commitments with Delhi Daredevils before joining up with the squad. He gave his reaction on Twitter: "BOOOOOOOOM!! The happiest days of my career have been playing cricket for ENG. Long may that continue! Thanks everyone for your kind words."

Pietersen returns then, but he returns on very different terms. It could not have been made more apparent that Flower, as England's director of cricket, must be entirely respected, whether in judging how hard he trains or what training top he should wear to do it.

Flower, who had seen the last England coach, Peter Moores, lose his job after Pietersen, as captain, encouraged and then led a rebellion, will now expect unerring loyalty.

The England hierarchy is convinced that their uncompromising stance has brought Pietersen to heel and that their assertion that the team ethic is more important than any glorious individual achievement has been pronounced from the rooftops. Pietersen now has what England see as a final chance to harness his abilities to the demands of the team.

Clarke, in his announcement in Colombo, made it sound as if Pietersen had been released from imprisonment. In that case, we can presume that, in England's mind, he is still tagged, his every move watched for evidence of regression.

Pietersen is back, but who knows for how long? Relationships with several England players remain frosty, particularly with the Nottinghamshire pair of Graeme Swann and Stuart Broad, who captained England in the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.

He has played his most exceptional innings when he has felt the adulation of the crowd and acceptance of his fellows. Exuberance, overstatement and an arrogant belief in his own ability are part of his DNA. He must now perform for England in India in an atmosphere, irrespective of the "success" of the integration process, which will not be healed overnight.

It remains to be seen whether he will find inspiration from that or whether England, in taming their most unpredictable talent, may also have damaged him beyond measure.

David Hopps is the UK editor of ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: David Hopps

Posted by Nayel_19 on (October 21, 2012, 18:38 GMT)

JG2704 on (October 21 2012, 09:44 AM GMT) That was Ajmal's magic.Indian spinners don't have that venom like Pakistan has.Ashwin's got variety but in my opinion he is no good for test cricket.You need to be consistent with line & length in test cricket but Ashwin tries too much.Bell had problems with Ajmal's doosra which no Indian bowler bowls effectively like Ajmal does.Bell is a class player,you can't judge a player with just 1 bad series.Even the likes of Tendulkar,Micheal Clarke,Sanga,Jayawardene struggle against Ajmal.I back Bell to do well in this 1 (if he plays all tha matches only).

Posted by JG2704 on (October 21, 2012, 10:44 GMT)

@Nayel_19 on (October 21 2012, 05:30 AM GMT) Maybe Bell is just unlucky then because the stats tell a different story and maybe I was having hallucinations when watching our best player of spin plying his trade in UAE?

Posted by JG2704 on (October 21, 2012, 10:43 GMT)

@Meety on (October 20 2012, 21:56 PM GMT) TBH , I don't hold out much faith in Bell either. His record in SC conditions is poor and 1 x50 in the whole UAE/SL tours (inc warm up games) do little to convince me either. Woakes doesn't seem to have found favour with the selectors. Also Flower said after the UAE tour about his players being undercooked. It's good to see that he's learning his lessons and is ensuring England players are all playing plenty of cricket in the build up to the series .

Posted by JG2704 on (October 21, 2012, 10:43 GMT)

@Dravid_Gravitas_Statchin_Selfishkar on (October 20 2012, 00:26 AM GMT) PS re "Let's see if they learnt how to play spin barring KP, Bell and Trott" 1 - The only other batsman who has played in India in tests before was Cook and he has a better record than Bell in SC so why isn't he getting a mention and why is Bell (whose record in SC has been poor) being lorded up here? 2 - Guys like Compton and Root have not played there before so it's an unknown quantity. 3 - Re these crushings , if we're talking tests , our last 2 series were 0-1 and 1-1 in India - is that a crushing? Don't get me wrong you might well crush us but 1-0 and 1-1 isn't a crushing.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 21, 2012, 10:42 GMT)

@Dravid_Gravitas_Statchin_Selfishkar on (October 20 2012, 00:26 AM GMT) You say "Just at the drop of a hat we see bad blood between Indians and English. Cut it guys" but then go on to say "Some England fans can say what all they want about India but fact is that England were crushed time and again in India. Period" - Do you not feel that the second comm (regardless of the truth) goes some way to undo the 1st part?

Posted by Nayel_19 on (October 21, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

I think England will need to play some aggressive cricket if they want to win or atleast draw this series.If they play old fashion cricket which they do at home they will make it easier for India.They need to be aggressivw with both bat & ball.I dont know why you guys are argueing about bell? He is the best player of spin after KP in this squad.Bell uses his feet against spinners which is the key to playing spinners in this subcontinent conditions.I really wanted Bopara & Morgan in this touring squad as they tackle spin well & both are aggressive players too.If England openers can survive till first 20 overs of every innings then it will be easier for the other batsmen to come in and attack.I think attacking the Indian bowlers is the key here.

Posted by rickyvoncanterbury on (October 21, 2012, 4:47 GMT)

@disco_bob... when were England nmber 1 ?

Posted by disco_bob on (October 21, 2012, 3:02 GMT)

@Ashankar, WishW, in the old days people used to argue about who was the best no.1 team, W Indies or Australia. Now they argue about who was the least worst no.1 team, Ind or Eng.

Posted by Meety on (October 20, 2012, 22:59 GMT)

@Chris_P on (October 18 2012, 22:31 PM GMT) - the points you have mae about the Eng v India series are the reasons why I think Oz will do well in India. We SHOULD do better half the side plays in India half the time so we should be well aclimatised!

Posted by Meety on (October 20, 2012, 22:56 GMT)

@JG2704 on (October 20 2012, 07:38 AM GMT) - the side I "selected" was of the touring squad, the squad is not what I would of gone with. I would of included Kerrigan (India have a habit of fluffing up against unknown bowlers, Krezja is an example), & I would of selected Woakes. Woakes would of batted #7, I think he is the most credentialled allrounder going allrounder going around in FC cricket atm. I would of played him ahead of Patel, & relied on Monty & Swanny to do the bulk of the overs, rotating the pacers in shorter bursts. Regarding Bell, I s'pose there is every chance that he could have a break out summer, but I really struggle to appreciate his abilities so my mind is closed on him! I am confident that England can take a test off India & are good enough to draw a test or two as well. I suspect, that Kholi will a massive series for India, & I think Dhoni will lead with the bat, I rate Pujarra highly as well. I also think Zaheer may take a few early wickets as well. 2-1 India!

Posted by Nayel_19 on (October 20, 2012, 20:46 GMT)

Why Ravi bopara & Eoin morgan is not in the squad? They are the palyers other than KP who has some experience playing in Indian conditions...ECB missed a trick here (which they often do).

Posted by kunderanengineer on (October 20, 2012, 18:55 GMT)

I'm glad this didn't turn out into another unnecessarily long drawn out soap opera a la Gayle/WICB. The fact of the matter is that KP is indispensable to this England tour of India not only because he's the backbone of the England batting especially in subcontinent conditions but also because he's a box office attraction. Love him or hate him he knows how to entertain and attract a crowd. As an Indian fan I love watching him play and I know a lot of my fellow countrymen also do having watched him play in the IPL. As far as I'm concerned England vs India would just not be the same without KP.

Posted by RandyOZ on (October 20, 2012, 16:54 GMT)

Considering how bare the cupboard of England is, they desperately needed to make this move!

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (October 20, 2012, 16:13 GMT)

I want KP to score HEAPS of runs and India winning all games. The best England could do is a drawn series though with spinning pitches that would be highly unlikely. So we have it, KP - the run machine and India the victors !!!! :D

Posted by JG2704 on (October 20, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

@Meety on (October 20 2012, 03:30 AM GMT) PS - When I first read your comm , I had been debating with a regular user beginning with M and because the issue was KP and Bell etc I presumed it was from that person. I thought what a refreshing post. Then I realised it wasn't from that person

Posted by JG2704 on (October 20, 2012, 8:38 GMT)

@Meety on (October 20 2012, 03:30 AM GMT) - Morning. My point was basically that Bell,Cook and Trott have similar aves to KP and yet you'd think that by some of the comms KP was averaging like Bradman. I'll buy your reasoning with Bell and I feel much is to do with his mental approach as anything. I can see your reasoning for dropping Bell but can't see there's anyway they will do it. Is there not any league cricket any of our guys can be playing out there? Flower used the undercooked excuse/reason re UAE and if he believes this it seems he's not learning from it. I think my 11 before tour was Cook,Compton,Trott,Bell,Jonny,Prior, Broad or Bres ,Swann,Jimmy,Onions,Monty. Obviously KP would come in - prob for Jonny. Re Monty - he bowled exceptionally in UAE and was harshly dropped after 1 bad match in SL and re the prev Ind tour I think he has become better with age and experience - Swann was nobody 1st time round and I think spinners mature later. Also we need a scapegoat out there

Posted by   on (October 20, 2012, 5:08 GMT)

best bastman of world welcome to india...............

Posted by Meety on (October 20, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

@JG2704 on (October 18 2012, 20:40 PM GMT) - Just on the averages, you are right superficially, but dig deeper into the averages & you will see that Bell is not in the same class as KP. (Bell's stats are bloated by 633 runs @ 158 v Bangladesh). In India, Bell averages 20, to KPs 40+. In the last 10 yrs in India the most prolifice batsmen have been Strauss, Collingwood, KP & Flintoff. Regarding the composition of the side, I would select Finn, Anderson, Swann & Bresnan with Samit Patel @ #7, & Prior @ #6. Panesar doesn't have a good record in India & whilst Broad has a good overall record v India, I think he will fail in India. Anderson should do well (comparable style to Steyn), I think Bresnan will do the mule work for the pacers, Finn the strike bowler bowling 3 or 4 overs flat chat & Patel & Swann racking up the overs. Batting-wise, I would not select Bell, I'd go Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, & Root. I'd select Root down the order as he is a rookie & assume Compton is ready made opener

Posted by cjscanada on (October 20, 2012, 2:00 GMT)

@chan1966, stop living in a dream bud. If horses could fly, if I could be Midas, if, if... Get off it. Stop feeling bad about India winning. It requires guts and Ishant and Laxman showed the way. Learn to appreciate good things in life. In the end, it does not matter how you win. A win is a win but a memorable win. Ah, we still remember that eh? Talk about Laxman he has done it several times. Coming to your statement if England played to their potential they could win. Are you preparing for an excuse already? In your words then would it not be apt that England won because India did not play to their potential. Look accept fact s in life. India lost to England and Australia that is past. India played horribly and they deserved to loose. Now the important question is who will win? Here is my take, whoever is mentally strong will win. Let the better team win. I enjoy cricket and I am not Nostradamus, so I am looking forward and I want the Test series to be interesting. Let the fight begin

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (October 20, 2012, 1:26 GMT)

Just at the drop of a hat we see bad blood between Indians and English. Cut it guys. It's been ages since England did anything remotely significant on our soil. Let's see if they learnt how to play spin barring KP, Bell and Trott. Some England fans can say what all they want about India but fact is that England were crushed time and again in India. Period.

Posted by markatnotts on (October 20, 2012, 1:16 GMT)

Some really bizarre comments now, some even from my own countrymen of belittling Indian successes of times gone by and under rating current bowlers. However the most bizarre come from certain people claiming England play on seaming tracks at home. We don't, we play on seaming tracks at times at county level, but anyone who watches Tests in England rather than base opinion on just looking at scorecards will see most English Test pitches are slow and bland (certainly compared to Oz and SA), with a hint of nibble not regular. The real killer to batsmen in England is when it clouds over. Then batting is fraught, with danger. Not even the English though can control the weather.

Posted by whoster on (October 19, 2012, 23:54 GMT)

I hope this is now history. KP is the sort of person who says and does daft things now and again, but I'm hopeful he's learnt his lesson. I also hope everyone concerned now realises how important KP and England are to each other. It was obviously a situation that slowly festered, but it looks like the air has been cleared. England's hopes in India have been massively improved with the addition of Pietersen, and I'd certainly like to see him at 3 with Trott pushed up to open. Trott has the technique to do well as opener, and accomodating debutants such as Root or Compton in the middle order makes sense. KP or not, it's still going to be a tough ask to get any kind of result in India.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 23:23 GMT)

KEVIN IS GREAT PLAYER HAD HE BEEN IN THE WORLD CUP IN SRI LANKA ENGLAND WOULD HAVE WON IT. A TRULY GREAT PLAYER.

Posted by DomP on (October 19, 2012, 22:19 GMT)

"The addition of Pietersen will give England more options at the top of the order, bringing the possibility that he cdould bat at No 3"

Cdould he? :)

Posted by DomP on (October 19, 2012, 22:14 GMT)

I've yet to see any hard evidence that KP did anything wrong. I think Flower's time is drawing to a close..

Posted by rickyvoncanterbury on (October 19, 2012, 22:06 GMT)

WOW over 200 comments about 1 ageing player that is now going to play in a series to decide the 3rd and 4th best teams. well i suppose it gives the series some excitement.

Posted by JaiSolanki on (October 19, 2012, 20:24 GMT)

No doubt about the class of a player of KP's caliber... He is an outstanding batsman.. One of the game's great... He is an excellent player of spin bowling and by far the best in english team.. On this upcoming tour england will rely heavily on him.. It will be not be easy for english team as i think the tracks will spin a lot as was demanded by MS Dhoni regarding home advantage.. And i wish Yuvraj gets selected into Indian team..

Posted by Agila on (October 19, 2012, 20:07 GMT)

The English fans are here again..brooding over India couldnt bat in seaming conditions..come on, let the English team play better cricket to win, than make claims , that their side is a better test side than India. Dont know the rationale of these comments based on one bad series India had in England over a decade. India's 2011 tour of England was plagued with player injuries and loss of form of their top order batsmen..India played better than most test playing nations at home and away barring 2011. Peace on you guys! PS: Good that you have KP in our side now, atleast one English(imported) batsman, the world loves to watch, the others or no more than a bore!!!

Posted by Chan1966 on (October 19, 2012, 19:13 GMT)

India can win test matches only in India except for few occasions. They were humiliated in England 4/0 in 2011 and in the same year crushed mercilessly by the Australians in the same margin. But they are a different kettle of fish when they play in India against any team. Australia could have won the one-off test match a few years ago had they got rid of Ishant Sharma when India were reeling at 131 for 8 chasing 207 for victory. Had the match played in any other neutral venue Australia could have emerge victorious.If all the English players play to their true potential in the forthcoming series in India I wouldn't be surprised if they won the series.Cook and Petes have to play a big roll apart from Bell and Trot. These two will produce runs at will.

Posted by Cricfan_99 on (October 19, 2012, 19:12 GMT)

@ Smith Robertson - "even if India did win please Indian fans, your main goal is to play and win on seaming wickets for once".. how about 2007 - In Your own backyard??? And when was the last time England won a series on turning tracks of India - HA - lets not go there - eh ?

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 17:00 GMT)

ECB haven't brought pietersen to the heel, its the other way round..

Posted by itsthewayuplay on (October 19, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

good news. kp is too good a player not be playing international cricket and with test match attendances being an issue in several countries test it needs all the so-called star players it can to keep the spectators coming thu the turnstiles. as an indian fan i'm looking forward to kp playing the tests and given the way he has performed in indian conditions in the ipl, dealt with murali in the past and that india do not have any mystery spinners at the moment kp could be the key player in eng's batting and a few big innings from him would give his bowlers something to play with. kp is a big match player and it's not unrealistic to expect too much from him.

Posted by cjscanada on (October 19, 2012, 16:38 GMT)

I hope for England's sake Pieterson does not start all over again and we have another one in Virender with a little lesser attitude though. This is one of the reason I would not put India as the firm favourite. We do not have the mettle of a Dravid and Laxman to bank on, Sachin's mind is not as sound and Dhoni's load seems to keep getting heavier and it appears getting a little blurry with each series or tournament. When I see him bat now, he seems very uncertain. Bhajji has lost the plot. A few bright spots are; Ashwin is a fighter, Kohli is in a zone and Pujara has somewhat shown he is a fighter. I believe India lost the series in England due to the mental state rather than skills. So I believe this will be a lot closer series than what is being made out. England are a good side and to be fair to the English let us not base it on T20 or the one off series. If England start up well initially and self belief, I will not want to be the one to predict this contest. Goodluck to both.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 16:36 GMT)

siva_gk 2010/11 Ashes series in Australia unless my geography and Cricket knowledge is as bad as yours i believe that was away from home.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 16:16 GMT)

Finally!!! KP is where he should be!!! good for cricket, not so much for the indians

Posted by yogesh.gg on (October 19, 2012, 16:13 GMT)

Doesn't matter much. Now 2-0 instead of 3-0.

Posted by Htc-Android on (October 19, 2012, 16:07 GMT)

go peterson go!!!! THRASH THESE CLUB LEVEL INDIAN BOWLERS. we are with you.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (October 19, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

@ Baundele- Agree with you re Bureaucrats. They stand against any sort charismatic breakthrough. ECB remind me of the Vogons in HitchHikers guide to the Galaxy.

Posted by bigwonder on (October 19, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

@WishW, England is not considered good opposition when playing outside of their home turf.

Posted by pdsina on (October 19, 2012, 15:34 GMT)

Don't come to India even with KP 4-0 is inevitable.

Posted by maximus1982 on (October 19, 2012, 15:26 GMT)

at last england got it right. Pietersen can demolish any attack in the world and probababy the best batsman in hte side now. not seeing him in the last world cup was very sad. hope he will prove the ECB who is he and the talent in he got .....

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 14:46 GMT)

finally sensibility prevails.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 14:41 GMT)

@WishW so true mate... But the series win against the English is written on the wall, considering their expertise against spin bowling

Posted by Cricket_gods_of_Nalanda on (October 19, 2012, 14:37 GMT)

Finally.....Cricket Wins!

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 14:15 GMT)

So much for the England Selectors' disciplinary action ....One Tournament changes Andy Flowers Power equation ? Kevin Pietersen wins in the end and why not ! England's success has been because of his irrepresible batting, which helps his team mates to score big ! Keep it Up Kevin cricketing people are with you.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 19, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

@hnlns on (October 19 2012, 10:22 AM GMT) You make a good pro point re KP here. Bell is a player who when playing positively looks such a different player but all too often he gets bogged down and looks easy prey. Morgan (who I don't feel is a test batsman anyway) came in for the UAE tour and then tried to play in a different manner and looked a whole different player

Posted by JG2704 on (October 19, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

@maddy20 on (October 19 2012, 09:29 AM GMT) I'm not blaming the defeat on 2 players , but as you are quick to point out that it was ONLY KP that was the difference between Eng losing 2-0 and 3-0 , then my point of Bell and KP's dismal performances in UAE (as THEE 2 worst performing batsmen) is as relevant. I notice that fans are quick to praise such players when they do the job but when they are woeful they conveniently overlook their failures. In the 1st test when we needed these players to dig in to save the match , neither did. Also if you read markatnotts comms properly , he is purely talking about T20s and not tests. Are you sure you were responding to the right person as he doesn't mention anything about suddenly?

Posted by siva_gk on (October 19, 2012, 13:42 GMT)

@WishW...England will never will against any team outside their country. Even in their own backyard they got battered by SA ealy this year by 2-0, that too by innings defeats. So..you better watch out for the outcome of the upcoming series and it'll be the reverse of what you have said....Yes... I agree that India lost to England 4-0 last year. But it's now the payback time...

Posted by bigwonder on (October 19, 2012, 13:38 GMT)

As I had indicated earlier, this was an expected decision from ECB. They knew that going into India for a test series without KP was a guaranteed whitewash for them. What an about face for ECB. After all they only care for winning - by any means necessary. England fans, you will now see the real value of IPL - what KP will bring to the table. You all knew that but never had guts to acknowledge it.

Posted by jb633 on (October 19, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

@hlns- you raise a good point. I have always felt our weaknesses lie in the fact that our batsmen are scared to use their feet. I would honestly rather see our batsmen stumped than lbw.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 13:19 GMT)

It is quite saddening to note that the ECB at last bowed to Pieterson. ECB is well known in the past for taking disciplinary action on a player, even he was on top form. Take the case of Boycott for example. Now ECB has no other alternative since it badly needs a top class batsman of Pieterson's calibre. Anyhow, all is well that ends well for both ECB and Pieterson. Wishing Pieterson a good luck!

Posted by CrissCross786 on (October 19, 2012, 13:13 GMT)

@WishW While i agree with your comment about Dhoni and Sachin,Both are pretty much a liability for India for some time now but you have to know that England is not really a team which symbolizes a "good opposition" in the subcontinent.

Beware of Cheteshwar Puajara though, that guy loves to bat :)

Posted by ashankar on (October 19, 2012, 13:07 GMT)

@WishW Well first of all i agree that England is a great opposition to play against. No questions about that. But with Dhoni as the captain and with Sachin in the Team we were the no.1 Team for relatively longer period than England (waiting to reply on Flat track bullies and Tigers at home and lambs abroad debates but let us take that next time). Eng and Aus series were indeed an embarassment to us but that does not mean that we are a weaker team.Esp in our conditions with left arm and right arm spinners attacking from both the ends, England has a lot to worry and KP's return is no fortune changer for them (Again, waiitng to debate on Ajmal and Co and India's mediocre spin duo claims) Ofcourese KP has played a lot of T20 games here but Test cricket is differe (English know better than us). Am confident that we need not even have rank turners but just a 'normal' Indian wicket is more than enough to bundle up Eng. Abt Dhoni and Sach pl add more value to ur claims n v shall debate that.

Posted by yogesh.gg on (October 19, 2012, 12:59 GMT)

Doesn't matter much. Now 2-0 instead of 3-0.

Posted by S4CHIN_IS_GOD on (October 19, 2012, 12:54 GMT)

Hahahaha, Integration more like licking and begging to me. England can;t win anything without foreign players. Might as well buy Ajmal, Sunil Narine and integrate them into your team. England started India downfall. It will be Indians, who bring the downfall to many Arrogant IPL WANABE'S. I will love every moment of these players dancing and jumping without clues.

Posted by markatnotts on (October 19, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

@maddy20, So and there we have it, a bad year for England in losing two test series, and drawing and winning one other still leads you to conclude that England are a worse test team than Bangladesh. I must be missing something here did England lose to Zimbabwe in Tests in England before the SA series - I must have missed that as it wasn't on Sky.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 12:24 GMT)

Good, hope they can put this behind them and get on with it now, it should never have been allowed to deteriorate to the situation it did. Now the XI looks capable of competing in India, if it is 1 Cook* 2 Compton 3 Trott 4 Pietersen 5 Bell 6 Bairstow 7 Prior+ 8 Swann 9 Broad 10 Anderson 11 Finn. Options after that are Morgan for Bell (if he goes home) or Bairstow (if he struggles), Patel for the same if we want a 2nd fill-in spinner, or Panesar for Finn if the wicket is going to take a lot of turn. India without Dravid and Laxman, and with Tendulkar possibly on the wane (don't think I'll write him off just yet!) are definitely weaker than a couple of years ago, but if they prepare turning tracks (as they are quite within their rights to do) then I can still see England struggling. After our performances vs Pakistan and Sri Lanka last winter, I would be pleased with a drawn series, and delighted if we sneak it, but I'd still make India narrow favourites regardless of KP's return...

Posted by DINESHCC on (October 19, 2012, 12:15 GMT)

WishW: When KP is returned to your team, you predict a 4-0 white wash. If your team is depending on a single player, you will not will any series. But I agree with you as long as Dhoni and Sachin is in our team, it is a cakewalk for England. You add Raina and Sehwag also in that list.

Posted by WishW on (October 19, 2012, 11:41 GMT)

@ashankar...as long as Dhoni is your captain and Sachin is in the team..Inida will not win test matches against good opposition...simple...

Posted by hnlns on (October 19, 2012, 11:22 GMT)

His addition no doubt would keep Indian spinners thinking since he is not afraid to attack, unlike most English players who are stuck to the crease and defensive when playing spinners and thus become an easy prey.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 11:11 GMT)

Well that is good news to see KP back but for how long. The IPL is not far away

Posted by PhaniBhaskar24 on (October 19, 2012, 10:47 GMT)

What ever.....india wins 2-0....England spins with KP outside the field...india will spin on the field with ball....

Posted by maddy20 on (October 19, 2012, 10:33 GMT)

@marknotts Not suddenly my friend. It took a steady worsening of quality over 1 year when they have not won a single test series barring the home series against WI.

Posted by maddy20 on (October 19, 2012, 10:29 GMT)

@ JG2704 So what were the other players doing in UAE? If I am not wrong there are 11 players in a cricket team and it would be unfair to blame the loss on a couple of players. Its not like Eng has a quality replacement for them anyways, especially in spin-friendly conditions!

Posted by ashankar on (October 19, 2012, 9:48 GMT)

@WishW. Would appreciate if you explain how?

Posted by Rogerunionjack on (October 19, 2012, 9:41 GMT)

The final nail in India's coffin. Welcome back KP, better late than never. The most sensible decision by the ECB for a while. Dressing room harmony? Don't worry about it, lads. It's amazing what a 4-0 whitewash will do for team unity.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 9:30 GMT)

@WishW: i agree with you in this...KP is irreplaceable talent.

Posted by ThirteenthMan on (October 19, 2012, 9:30 GMT)

Very wrong and very sad. It seems to put winning above all else and that attitude has no place in sport.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 19, 2012, 9:20 GMT)

@ Chris_P on (October 18 2012, 22:31 PM GMT) Yes , agree with everything you write. India's bowlers aren't as good as the Pakistan bowlers but are probably better than the SL bowlers we struggled against and their batsmen (at home) are prob still better than the Pak batsmen. However - as I think you intimate yourself - neither sides fans should get cock a hoop about how it'll all go.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 19, 2012, 9:20 GMT)

@markatnotts on (October 18 2012, 22:06 PM GMT) Echo your comments and said it at the time. There was certainly some poor batting in all games - inability to keep the scoreboard ticking over with 1s and 2s - and some shoddy fielding too but the biggest fault comp to 2010 was our inability to keep the totals down. I think Collingwood's captaincy was greatly missed. I don't think I've ever seen a pundit on TV where I've agreed with everything he has said.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 19, 2012, 9:19 GMT)

@bobmartin on (October 18 2012, 18:07 PM GMT) I'm kind of half with you here but can't really comment on whether ECB are being lenient with KP now or were harsh on KP to begin with without knowing what was said in the texts. To me Giles Clarke has alot to answer. If he is now saying he believed there was nothing derogatory in the texts then - being that the texts have now been deleted and therefore there is no evidence - why did he believe the texts were derogatory then but does not believe so now? Please publish this time , nothing untrue or of any offence towards Bob.

Posted by WishW on (October 19, 2012, 9:05 GMT)

@hammond..compare bairstow to teh gerat KP?...bairstow hasn't even shown glimpses of the early KP...terrible comparison

Posted by WishW on (October 19, 2012, 9:03 GMT)

India watch out!your gonna lose this as well...4-0 to England!

Posted by Mervo on (October 19, 2012, 8:51 GMT)

England seem to have moved through a phase where they picked or sought foreign-born players to make up their team. They are now picking more English-born and developed players. This is good but they will need some time for these players to mature and develop confidence.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (October 19, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

@JG2704: Yes, of course it's possible that one of the three I named will be in the first Test. It's what happens as the series develops that the issue of having match-fit reserves (& in this respect it is the batting, not the bowling that is the major concern) may become crucial. A defeat, an injury or two, an illness, or several illnesses (anyone remember '63-4?) & the readiness of the reserves comes under scrutiny. Modern tour schedules don't allow for much match practice between Tests & this leads me to wonder whether some local sides, preferably at fc level, could/would have an England guest player or two. The experience would be invaluable & I'd imagine that Joe Root, say, would jump at the chance to play a meaningful game rather than carry out endless drinks & towels. Incidentally, a reciprocal arrangement for teams touring UK would do nothing but good for the building of cordial relationships. It's a bit of blue Indian sky .. that's all.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 8:25 GMT)

My request to Indian team and administrators. England may come heavily prepared not just with physical fitness but also with tactical aspects based on analytics such as how to get each batsman out and how to handle bowling et al. Don't waste your time once you're done with CLT..Hold workshops and camps to put the team together and analyse every player from England thoroughly to take their wickets and to handle their attack. With application of mind and well thought out plans, India can hand them 4-0 just the way it received last year. Remember those wounds!!

Posted by davidlister on (October 19, 2012, 8:21 GMT)

What a fuss over almost nothing this has been. Memo to English cricket authorities: Keep life simple in future- simply pick your best players and let other considerations- "dressing room harmony", etc- fit around that simple dictum. Cricket is a sport, sport is about winning, and you maximise your chances of doing that by utilising the best available talent. And if there are disputes in the dressing room then it is the job of team management to manage those- the clue is in the name after all...

Posted by 100_rabh on (October 19, 2012, 7:26 GMT)

ah..my search for tickets for Mumbai test starts now!!

Posted by masoodali150 on (October 19, 2012, 7:10 GMT)

Great Player. exited to watch him in England Team.

Posted by Hammond on (October 19, 2012, 7:09 GMT)

I just hope this doesn't hinder Bairstow's development within the side. To me he has just as much potential as the early KP did.

Posted by Samar_Singh on (October 19, 2012, 7:04 GMT)

Its always nice to have a champion players in the team . Hope the upcoming test match against India would be interesting and competitive..

Posted by sandeepgla on (October 19, 2012, 6:05 GMT)

Before KP i assuming 4-0 to India now KP is back i will say 4-0 to India hahaha.

Posted by ashankar on (October 19, 2012, 4:50 GMT)

@Akshita29 Pretty good observation with the season. Whatever the case and conditions are i think India's 8-0 loss was mostly due to opening failure rather than the collective failure as many claim. Because IMHO a couple of batsmen atleast in the non opening and bowling played fairly well at least in patches during these tours. I would say if Viru and Gauti give us a good start we have good chances of winning over England.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 4:47 GMT)

Whether he delivers or not is altogether an other issue, the very fact that he is in the squad has already made the series interesting and I hope ECB realize they need him for the coveted no. 1 Test Team Status to be achieved as Kev has already on more than one occasion has proved he is an all time great (he also needs them though as we all know how his ego works...he feeds on adulation and his ego needs the adulation and the ego is his driving force). Oh yeah big KP fan here.

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 3:58 GMT)

Yippee! Now England's challenge in India can be taken seriously, although i believe it'd be huge mistake to under-estimate their bowling attack!

Posted by Narasaiah on (October 19, 2012, 3:56 GMT)

Good to see KP back :-) it will be a great test series for both sides - England trying to prove their ability on spinning tracks while India trying to groom their new generation of test cricketers.

Posted by Baundele on (October 19, 2012, 3:52 GMT)

Why do I hate Bureaucracy? Because they waste your time for stupid reasons or no reasons at all and at the end you must have to smile, even after all the sufferings. The ECB with their mismanagement harmed English cricket, kicked out the best player of the previous occasion from the WT20. And now when they were getting beaten heavily, the chap is called back all of a sudden.

Posted by kevin_se_doos_24 on (October 19, 2012, 3:48 GMT)

That's because they know they don't stand a hope in hell. Perhaps now it won't be a whitewash but rather a 2-0 to India! Do't worry, come the second test Pietersen will tweet that prefers IPL and we'll be back to square one.

Posted by CricShanghai on (October 19, 2012, 3:42 GMT)

There are people who watch the sports will appreciate and like KP's outgoing personality and expression, one can see from the ICC T20 pundit works that he did, doing the Gangnam Style dance in the studio. He put so much other 'soft' characteristics to the game with his personality, as well as the 'hard' bat and ball. It's natural that his peers will see the other side of his persona, perhaps due to what they are lacking, jealousy and such, finding excuses to throw him off. Frankly, to the general public around the world, what matters are when we switch on to the sports, we want entertaining sport performances with 'character', not what're stirred up behind the board directors' closed doors....

Posted by   on (October 19, 2012, 2:52 GMT)

Definitely, not a good news for Indian team! MSD - its time to pull up the socks!

Posted by fr600 on (October 19, 2012, 2:30 GMT)

I bet India was hoping it wouldn't happen.

Posted by BG4cricket on (October 19, 2012, 2:16 GMT)

Personally I would go with Cook and Trott to open with Bell at 3 followed by KP and Bairstow. In the conditions in India I think they will need more bowling options so I would have Prior at 6 and bring in Patel as the other spinner batting at 7. Broad and Swann are useful bats lower down and I think they will need an aggressive approach if they are to do anything and they will need to hope the batting performs better as it should. KP and Trott will need to score heavily though if England are to be any hope.

Posted by Liquefierrrr on (October 19, 2012, 1:53 GMT)

I hope he does remarkably well simply to prove that this was an exercise in counter-productivity for the ECB. Their stubborn methods have delayed KP returning and with horrific results for the side itself. England looked meek in the world t20 and were outclassed by SAF in the recent test series. They wanted to think that his omission wouldn't bear too much of an impact but it did, they were revealed to be a substantially lesser side without him in all formats. The depth that Strauss and Broad have churned on about looks far more shallow when one player was removed. Pleasing to see Bairstow do well though. I'd like Eng to beat India at home, as India at home is considerably tougher than India away (of which they are basically awful) but the side is going to have to fire on all pistons as India are, recent away performances notwithstanding, a great side and filled with plenty of spiky, dangerous players.

Posted by Chesty-la-roux on (October 19, 2012, 1:11 GMT)

Could there possibly be any more room on the face of the ECB for yet more egg? Until such time as they address the root cause of this pitiful debacle I fear that there will be no shortage of egg space. Keep your eye on the pea as Giles and the ECB moves the cups, this sideshow is far from over.

Posted by disco_bob on (October 19, 2012, 1:10 GMT)

I can't quite put my finger on it but Pietersen somehow reminds me of Alex in A Clockwork Orange. Lets just hope Kev doesn't run into a couple of his old mates.

Posted by disco_bob on (October 19, 2012, 1:05 GMT)

It's got a long way to go before it's over, at least until Kev's autobiog and then some.

Posted by yogi.s on (October 19, 2012, 0:22 GMT)

Happy to see KP back for Eng. He is such a critical player for eng in all formats and especially on the subcontinent coz he along with bell are the best players of spin in the england line up. England would have resolved the issue ultimately because he is irreplaceable, but sometimes I wonder if it was expedited bcoz of the India tour.

Posted by landl47 on (October 19, 2012, 0:19 GMT)

Some strange comments about 'what if this was an ordinary player?' Ordinary players, those who are having to fight to retain their test place, don't go round making demands on the national selectors to change the country's schedule to suit them and announcing they are retiring if their demands aren't met. KP tried to take advantage of his status, learned he couldn't, threw his toys out of the pram and then backed down and abandoned his demands. In the meantime, England played without him and played respectably in the games that mattered. Might they have done better with him? Yes, he's a good player. Are they competitive without him? Of course- they drew the ODI and T20 series against SA and played pretty well in the T20 World Cup for a side which only had 1 player over 27 (Lumb was in the squad but didn't play). England's side is stronger with KP in it, but that won't determine the series against India. It takes 11 players to win a game and a strong squad to win a series.

Posted by vxttemp on (October 18, 2012, 23:47 GMT)

Welcome back KP though it becomes more difficult for Indians. By the way, yes he can be the next angry young man in Bollywood(may not be young but he can get exception :-) )

Posted by dsig3 on (October 18, 2012, 23:41 GMT)

At least they have KP back. The problem for England is that their next tier players are just rubbish. Bairstow, Bopara, Patel, Root, Taylor all look like typical English batsmen. That is, they aren't much chop.

Posted by Chris_P on (October 18, 2012, 23:31 GMT)

@JG2704. Sorry I missed the "7" when posting to you earlier. I agree India should be favourites, but there are probably more question marks than recent series. a) They haven't been as impressive in winning at home the past 12 months with both West Indies & New NZ mounting some spirited efforts. b) England's bowling efforts against Pakistan was very good, their batsmen let them down abysmally & 3) there is no Ajmal in thei Indian team nor a pace attack as strong (IMHO) as Pakistan's to work over batsmen. I'll find this series absorbing & a good pointer to the future of both countries with changes almost inevitable. The ageing Indian batting line-up is stil therel & not getting stronger with the passing of every year. Form, as you know, cannot stay with you forever.l

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 23:26 GMT)

"Nice bubble you live in, England are far better than India in Tests. I know it hurts to read the truth but that is it."

@ SamAsh07

Yep, nice bubble you live in, dude. India has been far better in the last decade or so in test matches than England, and not just in home conditions either. We have had successful test tours to England (won 1 series and drawn 1), Australia (drawn there), n SA (drawn there).

Sure we had an embarrassing last 2 away tours on bouncy pitches, but what has England done on alien conditions, on slow turners, they got beat even by WI (not by the current re-juvenated side) in their last tour there. N lets not even get started on their ASIAN CONQUESTS', LOL.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 23:25 GMT)

I'm not a fan of the Indian team for various reasons but even though KP is back India on their grounds can destroy anyone and I mean anyone on these pitches. It can quite easily be 4-0 this time around to India. England should not forget what happened in UAE and needs to play phenomenally well to stand a chance and hypothetically, even if India did win please Indian fans, your main goal is to play and win on seaming wickets for once.

Posted by markatnotts on (October 18, 2012, 23:06 GMT)

One more point about KP and our disaster in the recent T20 cup. If some people actually watched the England games, only against India was the batting completly terrible. In the losses to WI (worthy champions), and SL, the bowling let us down more than anything. In 2010, England were often facing smallish targets. Sidebottom was a great unsung missing link this time round with Dernbach in particular leaking runs. The former has retired from internationals and so we took a hit. If you also look back at score cards from 2010, KP didn't play or didn't contribute in some games. Anyway, my view for the 4 test series is 2 1 to India or a 1 1 draw.

Posted by jb633 on (October 18, 2012, 23:00 GMT)

With or without KP I really do see our side struggling in this series. The bookies have England at 6-1 which says all you need to know about who should control this series. If by some miracle England can start to use their feet there is nothing to suggest that the Indian spinners should bamboozle us like Ajmal did, but that is long shot. The Indian bowling attack is lightweight to say the very least and if batsmen get after them early they tend to give up. However from an English perspective it will take someone to be brave early doors to shift the momentum in our favour. I would not even mind the idea of perhaps shifting Prior up the order to get on top of Ashwin and Ojha. Still I think in reality though we will stick to the "try and grind" them down approach, which is bound to fail. Please England be brave and take a chance. Don't get caught like sitting ducks again.

Posted by markatnotts on (October 18, 2012, 22:49 GMT)

@samincolumbia, yep England had a bad tournament, but please don't let your emotions blind you to fact. Or did England actually lose to New Zealand? That would fly in the face of what I saw on TV. Next I will hear from someone telling me Oz or Pak got to the final and won the tournament lol!

Posted by samincolumbia on (October 18, 2012, 22:32 GMT)

ECB likes to learn lessons the hard way...First the Stanford debacle and now KP. They went into 2012 T20 WC as champions and all they had to show for was that they beat minnow Afghanistan. lolz.

Posted by SCC08 on (October 18, 2012, 22:09 GMT)

I hope for Emglish crickets sakes that he doesn't score big early on in this tour to India, because if he does, he will probably request to miss a portion of the tour to take up a Bollywood offer..

Posted by Mervo on (October 18, 2012, 22:07 GMT)

A good thing too. I have watch Root and he is pretty average. Can't see much there at all.

Posted by usernames on (October 18, 2012, 22:06 GMT)

They should have apologised to him for treating him like rubbish. They went to the t20 WC at their arrogant best and got smacked all around. The light bulbs went off and they realised how poor a team, irrespective of the format, they are without a Pietersen, especially in the Indian subcontinent.

Most welcome though; at least the series would now have some contest. @sunny1307 -- ridiculously optimistic, sire! That very team would be beaten 7 days in a week in India. KP, Morgan and Prior can put up a decent fight when it comes to batting but the rest are dead in the water. Anderson and Broad are going to get smacked; what would be interesting--and perhaps pose a challenge--is how Swann bowls. I'd love to see him take some wickets.

All that said, I really hope India picks better openers this time around. Sehwag is a liability, no matter what anyone says, and has to be dropped. Gambhir can get maybe an extra series but that's it. Even with the two of them, I don't see India losing this.

Posted by PACERONE on (October 18, 2012, 21:59 GMT)

The term," no one is bigger than the team" is a misnomer.Instead it could be said that "the team is no good without it's best player".England has realized that they will/cannot win without KP.They can pretend otherwise.Broad and Swann can be replaced not KP.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (October 18, 2012, 21:46 GMT)

That's fantastic news for his fans like me. Welcome back KP. Welcome to our country. We all love you. Go give it your best against our top class spinners. Can't wait for the battle to unfold. Can't wait....

Posted by SamAsh07 on (October 18, 2012, 21:44 GMT)

@Ravi Kiran - Nice bubble you live in, England are far better than India in Tests. I know it hurts to read the truth but that is it.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 18, 2012, 21:41 GMT)

@Nutcutlet on (October 18 2012, 18:30 PM GMT) Personally I would play a 5/1/5 for sure but as that is clearly never going to be part of England's thinking , they'll play a 6/1/4. In this case at least 1 of the 3 mentioned would get a game. I don't like to second guess the selectors , but unless they open with KP there is automatically a place there , whether they promote Bell or Trott or bring in Root or Compton. I think Morgan should be the player who misses out. He doesn't seem to have played much 1st class cricket this summer and hasn't set the world alight in Div 1. Also I think they put him on a full contract with the probability of KP not returning in mind - a like for like thing.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 18, 2012, 21:41 GMT)

@maddy20 on (October 18 2012, 17:19 PM GMT) Swings and roundabouts . If it wasn't for players like him and Bell - who so many non English fans lord over - averaging 20 between them in UAE , England might/would have won one or 2 of those tests.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 18, 2012, 21:41 GMT)

@phoenixsteve on (October 18 2012, 18:45 PM GMT) India also have a very impressive home record and judging by our form in tests this year India must start as firm favourites.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 18, 2012, 21:40 GMT)

What a load of nonsense comments here. Anyone would have thought that KP was averaging double all of what the other England batsmen were averaging and re him being a great player of spin in SC conditions in tests - Hello! In UAE he was our 8th best batsman , averaging 11.16 - not 111.6. On the plus side , he is possibly thee one batsman who when he is in the zone can force a win with his rate of scoring and he adds fluency to an innings but let's have it right here , we have 3 other established batsmen in our side in Cook,Trott and Bell and 2 of them are averaging within a couple of runs of KP and the other is (last time I looked) averaging slightly more.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 21:35 GMT)

ECB come out of it looking like silly primary teachers. If only the English could produce managers what could we be.

Posted by Chris_P on (October 18, 2012, 21:33 GMT)

@JG204, I really though the ECB had put the line in the sand & was going to move on to the next stage. Not sure what to make of this due totally to the effect, if any, the fallout within the English camp. There is no doubt Pieterson is a class act, but can he play without distracting the rest?

Posted by JaiSolanki on (October 18, 2012, 21:12 GMT)

For ur kind info PHOENIXSTEVE if u r saying that INDIA hide behind their flat tracks then that's same with english team.... I have seen them been thrashed on spinning tracks.. And recently on seeming pitches too... And if u r talking bout results then ENGLAND are going to loose this series 1-0.. KP will rock for sure..

Posted by markatnotts on (October 18, 2012, 21:08 GMT)

@maddy20, how on earth can you claim my first point was true. Please explain why England without KP are suddenly the worst Test team in the world? Absolutely no evidence whatsover. Still don't get prejudices get in the way of facts if that suits you.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:56 GMT)

My Indian team - sehwag,gambhir,pujara,tendulkar,kohli,yuvraj,dhoni,ashwin,zaheer,ojha,yadav. This team will beat England 7 times a week.

Posted by Naresh28 on (October 18, 2012, 20:44 GMT)

Its time India did a complete change of the test team. We need the youngsters to put up their hands. India has plenty of young batsman e.g. CHAND. This guy played so well in Oz in U19 games.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:44 GMT)

GOOD FOR THE MCC THAT BETTER SENSE PREVAILED.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:42 GMT)

Ojha,ashwin,lbw,bowled,bat pad catch ................ These will be the bowlers and their mode of dismissal which will floor england

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:36 GMT)

Well done ECB, Well done KP - cricket is the winner! And Broad and Swann must now continue to mind their p's and q's, if they continue to pursue and to enjoy a gentleman's game. Now let your bat continue to the talking KP.

Posted by sunny1307 on (October 18, 2012, 20:33 GMT)

1.Cook 2.Compton 3.Trott 4.KP 5.Bell 6.Morgan 7.Prior 8.Swann 9.Bresnan 10.Broad 11.Anderson.Play this team in each game and you will win 2-0.

Posted by sunny1307 on (October 18, 2012, 20:29 GMT)

England is winning the series 2-0.I don't see indian bowlers easily getting Cook,Trott,Bell,Pietersen,Compton out twice easily.Nick Compton will be the highlight of this series and Anderson among the bowlers will be the star.Mark my words.If India lose this series Sachin will surely hang up his boots after the odi's in January.He may play the Australia home series but if we can't beat poms then we definetly can't beat Aussies.Therefore since sachin would like to go out on a winning note it would be better not to Play the Aussie test series.Who knows may be if he doesn't play India might win.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:27 GMT)

I'll bet Root and Compton are gutted.....

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 20:21 GMT)

All who follow modern day cricket and the top players you will expect KP return . Its about time . Do what ever you want , say what ever you want and receive a "slap on the wrist" . Now let the game begin .

Posted by xylo on (October 18, 2012, 20:08 GMT)

I believe this is more of a case of ECB realizing that their chances in subcontinental conditions is pretty much zilch without KP, and are trying to put on a victorious face.

Posted by phoenixsteve on (October 18, 2012, 19:45 GMT)

@Muski and other.... You guys are right. The inclusion of KP will not make any difference to the expected results. I expect England to thrash India without or with KP. India are a second rate test team who hide behind their flat tracks and dodgy umpiring decisions. Roll on the Universal application of UDRS and maye India will re-think policy after their upcomimg Test cricket lesson? Wellcome back KP --- COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Posted by warnerbasher on (October 18, 2012, 19:39 GMT)

Mmm. I said England needed this character more than he needed England and he's won the battle. Love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room when they get together again. This ain't over.

Posted by binojpeter on (October 18, 2012, 19:37 GMT)

Good news. Good luck to England and KP and welcome to India from an Indian fan. I am hoping for a highly competitive series.

Posted by Nutcutlet on (October 18, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

KP's return is to be welcomed as England can now put its best team into the field. There are now 17 players on tour and keeping them all match-fit is going to be taxing, to say the least. It seems unlikely that Root, Bairstow & Compton will be doing much more than fetching & carrying. I'm just wondering whether the reserves will have the opportunity of playing some local cricket along the way. It will be interesting to see what provision is made for those who also serve: those that stand & wait.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

Back to playing times!!!!!

Posted by oj..cricfan on (October 18, 2012, 19:28 GMT)

India have Yuvi back :) he will get him as before :) no change to result, still 4-0 India

Posted by sams235 on (October 18, 2012, 19:20 GMT)

Oh good, we need a good 'show' both on and off field :)

Posted by bobmartin on (October 18, 2012, 19:07 GMT)

Ask yourselves this.. if the transgression of discipline had been by Bopara... or Bell or Bresnan for example, the chances are they would never have worn an England shirt again. The ECB have demeaned themselves and all that they claim to stand for by their acceptance of Pietersen's behaviour. Firstly, despite all the rhetoric they have in fact surrendered all credibility and secondly, have created a precedent and whereby any England player who transgresses in future will expect to be treated in a similarly lenient manner.

Posted by yasi janjua on (October 18, 2012, 19:05 GMT)

wellcome kp........now england side can handle indain spin attack

Posted by Sudhir65 on (October 18, 2012, 18:48 GMT)

Test cricket is boring as you will still see most of the grounds empty or near empty, as has been the case earlier with Test matches in India. But with Pietersen added, some Indians may want to see him play.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (October 18, 2012, 18:44 GMT)

This has all been very Shakespearian-from 'Much Ado about Nothing' to 'All's Well that Ends Well.' A good fight to win!! NOW we can watch cricket and enjoy it.

Posted by 200ondebut on (October 18, 2012, 18:42 GMT)

Won't make any difference to the result - England will thrash the old and unfit Indian side with or without him.

Posted by gsamiru on (October 18, 2012, 18:38 GMT)

Good news for world cricket after sometime ............. Good Luck KP !

Posted by MOHDsarfaraz on (October 18, 2012, 18:36 GMT)

now these tour will be interesting,now the big man return will so us some class , but at the end result will in the favor of INDIA inshah Allah we will win,best of luck Englishmen,,jai hind

Posted by samudralakiku on (October 18, 2012, 18:27 GMT)

Clear sign that England are afraid of the thrashing they may receive without KP in the test team. Especially this move is justified after their showing in the world T20 in SL.

Posted by Akshita29 on (October 18, 2012, 18:23 GMT)

Wellcome back Kp . I don't care who wins or lose . I want to see good competitive and exciting cricket . But it's not all about Kp , other english players have to perform as well for England to be competitive in the series. Lot will depend on Anderson and Swan . One thing is good for Englands that matches would be played in winter so early morning dew could help english fast bowlers and English players don't have to suffer from extreme heat also .

Posted by the_blue_android on (October 18, 2012, 18:22 GMT)

I guess 7 days of cricket is all it took for the ECB to go and plead KP to get back into the team even though they all make it sound as if they set KP straight. It's more like re-integrated process for ECB more than KP.

Posted by maddy20 on (October 18, 2012, 18:19 GMT)

@markatnotts The funny thing about your statement is both of the points highlighted are true. We have seen a sample of that in world T20. While losing is not always a bad thing, the clueless stroke-making was hilarious to say the least. If not for him the SA series scoreline would have been 3-0!

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 18:16 GMT)

But there won't be unity in England dressing room. India will take easy advantage of that. My prediction - India will win Mumbai and kolkata test,hence winning series 2-0.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 18:08 GMT)

@dinesh and without kohli, india is like kenya

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 18:01 GMT)

No one is bigger than the team, and Kevin made a terrible blunder. There can be no excuses for his conduct, but, it is always better to build bridges than to burn them. However, Kevin should be on a long probation, and any future misconduct should see him in total exile. I think that before long, Kevin will again do something stupid, and this time there will be no forgiveness.

Posted by muski on (October 18, 2012, 17:56 GMT)

Well Iam afraid its not going to make much of a difference to the expected results. Indians are most certainly going to return the favour. The way the English batsmen played in the recent months in the sub continent only points to a whitewash.

Posted by InnocentGuy on (October 18, 2012, 17:52 GMT)

After Gilchrist and Lara, KP is the only guy I won't mind playing well against India.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 17:46 GMT)

without KP and Bell in England sq. its like Finland

Posted by S.giridhar.s@gmail.com on (October 18, 2012, 17:33 GMT)

They cant win,survive,market without him!! They cant do anything without him!!

Posted by markatnotts on (October 18, 2012, 17:33 GMT)

This was always going to be a "win win" for the anti England brigade. They can say it is because we are worse than Bangladesh without him. If he hadn't have been licked it could have turned into a "stubborn ECB" rant.

Posted by ameen786 on (October 18, 2012, 17:30 GMT)

This is great News I wish KP plays well in india and give a good fight in test series...Best of luck KP

Posted by bleedingice on (October 18, 2012, 17:30 GMT)

Even with kevin on the team its going to be a challenging tour for the english, i don't see them being able to deal with the indian spin attack.

Posted by Hira1 on (October 18, 2012, 17:26 GMT)

Welcome back KP ...at last egos were surrendered for the sake of cricket

Posted by tinysteelorchestra on (October 18, 2012, 17:23 GMT)

How exactly have the ECB 'tamed' Pietersen? Already he's not joining the squad until his Champions League commitments are completed!

There can be no doubt that KP is, on his day, irresistible. But there is also no doubt that for every dazzling display there's a stupid early dismissal when the team needs him to knuckle down.

I would still expect India to win, even though I'm an England fan. We're hopeless in the sub-continent and poor against quality spin wherever we play.

Posted by vinjoy on (October 18, 2012, 17:16 GMT)

There are two ways to look at it. ON emotional side, players play for fans. Not many will play in IPL even for this kind of money if stands are empty. Peterson means excitement, charisma and style to the game so this is good for cricket. Why to deprive the fans even of 4 tests without the best player in the team. ON ADMINISTRATIVE side, his approach could have been more professional and formal though his concerns are genuine. If a BOPARA, RAINA, or WILLIAMSON takes similar stance, I doubt the administration will make such an effort to bring the player back. So, it questions the process.

Nonetheless, all is well that ends well. I anticipate a 1-1 result in the series.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 17:13 GMT)

More than apologies and so called rapprochements, it was the visible frailty of English batsmen against the quality spin bowling in the T20 WC, which has expedited KPs reform to the English fold. Any which way, its good to know that he is back!!!

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 17:13 GMT)

Posted by the_blue_android on (October 18, 2012, 17:10 GMT)

I guess the 're-integration process' has been expedited out of desperation.

Posted by batnpad on (October 18, 2012, 17:09 GMT)

So what exactly is the "reintegration process" ? Lmao..

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 17:07 GMT)

atleast no one can say now that we beat a depleted England side :)

Posted by Aristotle01 on (October 18, 2012, 17:05 GMT)

Ooooh..... the minute the ECB saw once again(In the WORLD T-20) how utterly hopeless their team is in the SC they quickly decided to resolve this issue and add him to the test squad. Lol. I now expect a 3-0 result to India instead of a 4-0.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (October 18, 2012, 16:57 GMT)

The IPL coordinators already have their cheque books waiting for him to come over with the England squad...

Posted by web_guru2003 on (October 18, 2012, 16:51 GMT)

If it was some star from Pak/India, patch-up would have occurred in couple of days with board going to its knees.

WELL DONE ECB. Boards should never compromise on discipline no matter how big of a star it is. KP probably did huge miscalculations when he decided to hold that press-conference. Anyway, things have been sorted out and I'd love to see KP in action again.

Posted by hungrybunny on (October 18, 2012, 16:51 GMT)

Shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Where are all those cries about discipline and Team first gone!!!!!!!!!!!. Would the solution be so simple if it would have been some ordinary player.

All principles gone out of window. well done ECB!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 16:49 GMT)

welcome back KP... as a cricket lover I wish to see you hit a ton or double ton in India and make a good comeback... but at the end of the day as an Indian fan I really want India to whitewash the English team in all the three formats for the upcoming series....

Posted by ashankar on (October 18, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

Not a surprise. Welcome KP and wish your return be marked with an astonishing 4-0 Brownwash :). But really, good to have KP and now i expect some serious competition.

Posted by sharidas on (October 18, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

Its good news for Cricket that Kevin is back in the team. I look forward to a good series.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 16:47 GMT)

This section will be full of comments from Indian fans telling how England team is completely worthless and everything they have achieved is due to KP only.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 16:41 GMT)

more problems for india now i doubt easy series win for india . have to wait how it goes no predictions

Posted by jonesy2 on (October 18, 2012, 16:40 GMT)

as a supporter of the mighty australians i am glad he is back playing for the gutless ecb. he does far more damage and has more detriment to his own side than any opposition side. how can he even feel like he can show his face around the other players let alone play test cricket with them? and all this has done is confirm that england have absolutely no integrity, no dignity and no depth or talent to cover the overrated pieterson. their upcoming series against india is going to be one of huge embarrassment. im predicting 3 massive losses

Posted by chesterman69 on (October 18, 2012, 16:36 GMT)

Another sad sad sad day for English cricket - player power - player power player power - weak management weak management weak management

Posted by crindo77 on (October 18, 2012, 16:34 GMT)

Heh heh heh. Its gonna be one big KP cake feast; I'm sure he'll get a few centuries on this tour. That t20 batting performance must have made the English selectors and Flower break into KP's hotel room in Colombo to get him to sign the contract. Well, better late than never. Important milestones of mutual respect ( and self assessment) have now been met. Its been officially endorsed by the ECB that England suck without KP, and then some. The dust of Ahmedabad and Nagpur now awaits the new respectful English team. Will the buried hatchets resurface? This will be fun. Can't wait.

Posted by rahulcricket007 on (October 18, 2012, 16:34 GMT)

everybody knows england needs kp in subcontinent . i will not be surprised if he gets dropped from england team after india 's tour is over .

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 16:32 GMT)

Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooo For Cricket Lovers!!! Now England Can Give a Game to Indians!!

Posted by hyrclov on (October 18, 2012, 16:30 GMT)

that's good news , England are truly on the rise with cook as skipper , may enjoy when they lose but the wheels are in motion definately now

Posted by priceless on (October 18, 2012, 16:26 GMT)

So about time "the posh public school gents have had threir say" Hope they will give KP back his expenses especially the 3grand fine that started it,

Posted by rajeshyrk on (October 18, 2012, 16:24 GMT)

with the kind of great players of spin England producing(we all saw how they did in srilanka very recently) this is expected. ENGLAND minus KP in India for a Test Series -- big Joke :)

Posted by Tim40621 on (October 18, 2012, 16:23 GMT)

AWESOME NEWS!! great to have KP back....i dont care what he said or did....just want him back bashing bowling attacks!!

Posted by Shaitan_Zindabad on (October 18, 2012, 16:22 GMT)

Well KP coming to India is brilliant news not just for english but all cricket fans. I still fancy the Indians to win 2-1 or 2-0.

Posted by Rajesh_india_1990 on (October 18, 2012, 16:18 GMT)

It is going to be a close series..As India is in rebuilding phase i think it will be 2-1 in favour of India..

Posted by SVicious on (October 18, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

The England Squad has already been named. How did Pietersen make it into the squad post the announcement. This is Preposterous and just as rediculous as the ECB's handling of this issue.

Posted by dixitpiyush on (October 18, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

hmmmmm....... as an Indian Fan I wish it should have at least lasted for tour of India but as a KP fan I welcome it

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

Now England is a far potent team to challenge India in India, than without KP. Based on current form along with Amla and deVillers, he is one of the top 3 batsmen in test cricket.. and by leaving him out England dropped their best man.. Good to see KP back, despite being an Indian supporter.

Posted by jimbond on (October 18, 2012, 16:17 GMT)

As is the norm, Peterson will play brilliantly well in one test and probably win it for his team (at least ensure a draw); and in the remaining two tests cause enough dissent for the team to lose properly. Whatever he is, he is no team man. Even in one T-20 match, this much could be discerned. While playing for Delhi against Kolkata, in one over, Sehwag was playing Narine with ease and had in fact hit him for a six in one over, and in Narine's next over, though KP was struggling, he never tried to take a single. His ego is too big for the team. Else he needs a strong and tough 'Andy Flower' type of captain. I don't think either Cook or Broad can handle him.

Posted by puppalagopikrishna on (October 18, 2012, 16:16 GMT)

welcome back to the international cricket man..............................we are very much excited to see u back in england colors......................you are the legend of legends..................go for a kill of all the bowlers............danger bell for all the bowlers in the world......all the best for second innings

Posted by inde on (October 18, 2012, 16:14 GMT)

gud news........this will boost up the squad..

Posted by Rogerunionjack on (October 18, 2012, 16:13 GMT)

Well done ECB, better late than never. Another 4-0 hiding is now assured.

Posted by SHKS on (October 18, 2012, 16:12 GMT)

This is going to be happen.There is no other player in current England team who can play spin more better than KP .After defeat in T20 World cup England has no other option left without adding Kp.In middle order no strong batsman are there who can tackle Indian spin atack in a spin friendly wicket.

Posted by smjr on (October 18, 2012, 16:12 GMT)

Thanks god we have some real cricket (Test cricket) in coming months. The T-20 cricket (Champions league,IPL, SLPL, BPL) is attractive for players as they got huge amount of money but for crowd and fans it is actually very boring as no heart is involved with teams having mixed nationality players are representing. I think a time will come may be 2 to 3 years that people will get fed up with these fours and sixes stuff. However T-20 played between bilateral countries and ICC tournaments may survive.

Posted by zuber21886 on (October 18, 2012, 16:09 GMT)

well England were in desperate need of him, without him they would not even draw the matches, well now the competition will be good.

Posted by bumsonseats on (October 18, 2012, 16:06 GMT)

so does that mean someones dropped from the initial squad or do we go with an extra squad member.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 16:05 GMT)

well come kp in int cricket again hope u play more 10y consistent in the side

Posted by WheresTheEmpire on (October 18, 2012, 16:04 GMT)

There seem to be a lot of lines being drawn - "in the sand" and "under the matter". Perhaps the only line that is relevant is when an important series is on the line and then the nagging question will always be: will there be repeat of the events of the past 3 months? Instead of a "drawing a line in the sand" perhaps it is really a case of heads in the sand and if so this could, very sadly, turn out to be a bad decision for English cricket and their fans.

Posted by smjr on (October 18, 2012, 16:03 GMT)

It is a resounding turnaround. I have got feeling that England has burning desire to beat India in test series this winter. They won last series in india , I believe under Mike Gatting captaincy in 1983-84. The bottom line is that in big cricket (Test cricket) you must have match winning players who create difference between two teams. Yes, Pieterson is match winner but England also need match winning bowler on low bounce indian wickets but I cant see likes of Steyn, Shoab Akhter, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram type bowler in this English team that could unsettle indian batsman. However English spinner like Swan and Panesar are as good as Ashwin and Ojha. Both teams have equal strength but india has an edge as they play spin bowling better than England. However it will be tough series and England is not going to be easily beaten this time.

Posted by aarfeen on (October 18, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

luv it <3.....welcum 2 ind k.p....

Posted by meetagod on (October 18, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

Good decision England. Put all things behind and move forward. Remember, cricket is an English's Iconic sport. Be open and innovative. Good luck to you all.

Posted by Hattrick_Capes on (October 18, 2012, 16:00 GMT)

WHY ENGLAND WHY??????

Posted by NAHEEM on (October 18, 2012, 16:00 GMT)

Thanks cricinfo..Today i m very happy..news of the day.. i hope kp will b back odi and t20 squads

Posted by Sinhaya on (October 18, 2012, 16:00 GMT)

I am so glad and just cannot express my happiness. Good luck KP and hope you last for many years to come. Looking forward to seeing your blistering knocks.

Posted by EverybodylovesSachin on (October 18, 2012, 15:59 GMT)

Drama of the year 2012..and the award goes to KP

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:57 GMT)

Now the test series is 60-40 in favour of India.

Posted by kevinpp2412 on (October 18, 2012, 15:56 GMT)

this is the best news i heard from last few weeks. england increase there chances to perform well in india. he is one of the best player of world cricket in all forms, good to be back KP... we r soo happy BEST OF LUCK KEVIN SHOW THEM U R THE BEST

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:56 GMT)

WOW THAT WOULD SPICE UP THE CONTEST BETWEEN INDIA AND ENGLAND.KP KNOW HOW TO TACKLE SPINNERS IN INDIAN CONDITIONS

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:55 GMT)

Now that's really good news. He is an exciting Cricketer with Bat (and even with Ball at times).. The series is really going to be a good one..

Posted by FreddyForPrimeMinister on (October 18, 2012, 15:53 GMT)

Thank goodness for that - I was getting sick and tired of the whole shannigans. What should have been sorted out over a few beers between a handful of team mates ended being strung out into cricket's equivalent of War and Peace. Can we please get back to talking about real cricket now? There are so many comments made by people about KP, Swann, Broad, Jimmy etc that you'd think these people actually "knew" the players, as oppossed to believing whatever story is in this week's press. The fact is that England are a much stronger team with KP in it, and hopefully we'll now be able to give India at least a half decent game!

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:53 GMT)

Much expected for the good of cricket. We love KP to be here. For sure without him there will be no contest. Of course, Cook is at his best still. Bell could do play his role and Bopara can do well tool (Yes he does it only in subcontinent pitches). But the bowlers are gonna suffer. What happened in England last year is a different thing. The pitches are going to be different and the SG cricket ball which is used in the subcontinent would assist the spinners comparative to fast bowlers.

Welcome Back KP !! Much needed for cricket and England. Hope the rain wont play the spoil sport.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:50 GMT)

oh drat! this is not good news, now some of the daredevils are playing with their immediate future opponent.

Posted by alikhan224 on (October 18, 2012, 15:49 GMT)

Goodness me what a fantastic news for cricket lovers...although his attitude has never been good, but his quality and inclusion in test team will definitely boost up england's chances against india in india...not really a good news for indian team but surely a morale booster for england...score BIGGGGGG kp.

Posted by phunny_game on (October 18, 2012, 15:44 GMT)

Saving grace for the English cricket team... Wouldn't have been a nice sight to see their batsmen having no clue. At least now, one is good enough to turn the tables.

Posted by Aasifi on (October 18, 2012, 15:44 GMT)

Nice ti hear that. That really is good news for England and for Pieterson

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:43 GMT)

Great news for england ,I think KP is best player of spin in England.India have to do hard work to get him out ,as he will have point to prove.

Posted by Greecedevil on (October 18, 2012, 15:42 GMT)

Well, it isn't a surprise. England team badly needed him to play in India as they do not have techincally able batsman to play in subcontinent conditions. That'sthe reason why they hurried to clear him on all charges and included him in the squad. They dont want to lose badly in India, but they will.

Posted by VJ.Harry on (October 18, 2012, 15:41 GMT)

Welcome Back Kevin...but this time jus turn off cell phones and concentrate on batting...LOL

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:41 GMT)

Luv u KP...very gud decision by ECB..in the best intrest of the game

Posted by Resultpredictor on (October 18, 2012, 15:41 GMT)

Thats good news, Welcome back KP. Hope to see u soon in India

Posted by yorkshirematt on (October 18, 2012, 15:40 GMT)

Disappointing that the ECB have relented but at least when he fails in India it will stop everyone going on about how he's "England's best player"

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:39 GMT)

Really good for England's chances in the sub-continent. But at the same time, unfair for players like Root or Bairstow who might have had a chance otherwise.

Posted by NaniIndCri on (October 18, 2012, 15:38 GMT)

After essays about team unity Eng found out they can't win outside without KP.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:38 GMT)

Dam good news,Now I will following test series

Posted by ATC1810 on (October 18, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

How much money has been wasted sorting this out? Also how much has Pietersen added to his carbon footprint by flying to this meeting and then back to SA? It would be very interesting to know how Mike Brearley would have handled this affair.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

wat a wonderful caption.."Pietersen added to India Test squad"...lol..juz wonder the editor was on cloud9 while getting this news

Posted by bcric12 on (October 18, 2012, 15:36 GMT)

very good decision

Posted by ankit_barry on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

Well done ECB, ur a true champion in spit & lick cryathlon competition. Welcome KP, series without you would have been blan. All the best.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

Gud to know that Kevin will be playing for England...............

Posted by yomeshk on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

So England have chickened out...scared of losing in India they recall the only hope that can save them from losing 4-0..roflll...

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

WOW.. shocking decision from ECB...

Posted by Ulcer on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

Good news finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by trueanalyst on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

Good now der will be no reasons for the defeat

Posted by bharatputra83 on (October 18, 2012, 15:35 GMT)

It is indeed good news for KP. Bharat is behind you, KP. Couldn't help but sense a bit of panic in the England administration though. They know they gloated during Bharat's horrid tour for 4-0, but then remembered the 5-0 hammering when England was back in Bharat, and know they are up for yet another hammering if they don't play their cards right.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:34 GMT)

That's a very wise decision. I'm actually happy for England staff and management and KP that this was sorted out in a good manner and moving on for everyone's best interest and start fresh. Now England has a great chance of taking on favourites India. Lets hope with all these big Cricket series coming soon IND-ENG, AUS-SAF, BAN-WEST, SRI-NEW etc that for fans sake bring us a great contest. I'm glad T20s are now out of the way cheers for your time guys all the best!!!

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (October 18, 2012, 15:31 GMT)

Champers time!!! Common sense has shone through. At least India have our best to play aghainst, and the crowds too can see a real team.

Posted by   on (October 18, 2012, 15:29 GMT)

thats good news for england atleast they can now be competitive.. but we have kp ka baaap.. uv singh.. he ll be back nd rocking kp nd english team..

David HoppsClose
David Hopps David Hopps joined ESPNcricinfo as UK editor early in 2012. For the previous 20 years he was a senior cricket writer for the Guardian and covered England extensively during that time in all Test-playing nations. He also covered four Olympic Games and has written several cricket books, including collections of cricket quotations. He has been an avid amateur cricketer since he was 12, and so knows the pain of repeated failure only too well. The pile of untouched novels he plans to read, but rarely gets around to, is now almost touching the ceiling. He divides his time between the ESPNcricinfo office in Hammersmith and his beloved Yorkshire.
Country Fixtures Country Results
Final: Durham v Warwickshire at Lord's
Sep 20, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Derbyshire v Leics at Derby
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Essex v Worcs at Chelmsford
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Glamorgan v Hampshire at Cardiff
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Kent v Gloucs at Canterbury
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Lancashire v Middlesex at Manchester
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Northants v Sussex at Northampton
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Warwickshire v Durham at Birmingham
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Yorkshire v Somerset at Leeds
Sep 23-26, 2014 (10:30 local | 09:30 GMT | 05:30 EDT | 04:30 CDT | 02:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »