June 17, 2000

Gloucestershire v Zimbabweans, Day 2

Zimbabwe strengthened their hold on the Vodafone Challenge match with Gloucestershire when they reduced the home side to 146-7 at the close of the second day's play in reply to their 568.

And Gloucestershire's disappointment was compounded by an injury to opener and acting captain Tim Hancock, who fractured a knuckle on his left hand during fielding practice in the morning.

Hancock will play no further part in this match and will be sidelined for at least three weeks.

Hancock has been a key performer during Gloucestershire's surge to three one-day trophies in the last year and the county must now start their defence of the NatWest Trophy against Worcestershire on Wednesday without him.

Gloucestershire pace bowler Jon Lewis had something to smile about, however, as he returned career-best figures of 8-95.

He took five of the last six wickets to fall after Zimbabwe had resumed on 405-4 in their first innings.

Lewis accounted for Paul Strang and Heath Streak in his first five overs and then bowled Grant Flower and had Paul Strang caught at backward point by Chjris Taylor.

Lewis, whose previous best haul was 7-56 against Nottinghamshire last year, then wrapped up the innings by having Bryan Strang caught at cover by Matt windows for 73.

His aggressive innings had come off only 77 balls and contained 12 fours and a six.

Gloucestershire's reply was struggling from the moment that Imraan Mohammed, son of former Gloucestershire favourite Sadiq, was dismissed in the third over for a duck by Streak.

Streak then went on to claim the wickets of Windows, for a fluent 47, Jack Russell anmd Mike Cawdron to end the day with 4-58.

Pommie Mbangwa bowled with excellent control to finish with 1-11 in his 12 overs, having had Dominic Hewson caught behind by Andy Flower.

The Strang brothers took the other wickets to fall. Bryan had Taylor caught at midwicket by Trevor Gripper and Paul had Lewis snapped up at long leg by Dirk Viljoen.