Bangladesh A v South Africans, New Road, 3rd day July 27, 2008

Peterson makes most of practice time

Cricinfo staff

South Africans 429 for 3 and 328 for 4 dec (Peterson 103*, de Villiers 100, Nel 56, Kallis 55) drew with Bangladesh A 121 and 97 for 2 (Iqbal 65)

The South Africans opted for extended batting practice on the final day against Bangladesh A at New Road, continuing their second innings well into the second session before setting a notional target of 637. AB de Villiers and Robin Peterson cashed in on the easy runs available with centuries, while Bangladesh batted out the final 27 overs of the match.

With the third Test starting on Wednesday, Mickey Arthur and Graeme Smith clearly didn't want to over-exert the bowlers with an extended spell in the middle. Andre Nel sent down an extra five overs, following his three-wicket haul in the first innings, as he prepares for a likely call-up in place of the injured Dale Steyn.

However, most of the day wasn't a great advert for first-class cricket. Jacques Kallis didn't resume his overnight 55, but is expected to be fully fit for the Test after a minor injury scare with a finger problem on the second day. de Villiers, who made 174 at Headingley, reached an even 100 before also retiring as the bowlers were given a chance to find some batting form.

Peterson, the reserve left-arm spinner in the squad behind Paul Harris, milked the bowling with ease while Nel made 56. Peterson's fifth first-class century came off 153 balls as Bangladesh used nine bowlers, as they had in the first innings. Mushfiqur Rahim had to leave the field after injuring his shoulder trying to catch Peterson.

When Smith eventually declared before tea Nel and Makhaya Ntini opened with five and four-over spells respectively. The spinners then took over, with Peterson continuing his good day as he removed Bangladesh captain Junaid Siddique with the last ball before tea. Tamim Iqbal responded with a positive 65 off 86 balls, comfortably the highest individual score for Bangladesh in the match. He became Peterson's wicket second before the match was called off at the start of the final hour.