Punjab v Delhi, IPL 2013, Dharamsala May 16, 2013

Win keeps Kings XI's hopes alive

30

Kings XI Punjab 171 for 4 (Marsh 45, Miller 44*, Gilchrist 42) beat Delhi Daredevils 164 for 7 (Rohrer 49, Sandeep 3-23) by seven runs
Scorecard and ball-by-ball details

Kings XI Punjab kept themselves in contention for the fourth and final playoff spot with a win over Delhi Daredevils, who suffered their 12th defeat of the season. Daredevils played five fast bowlers and chose to bowl on a greenish pitch in the Dharamsala mountain air. That was all that went in their favour. Kings XI took advantage of Daredevils' wide lines to blaze away at the start, and despite slowing down during the middle, pulled away again at the death to post 171. It looked to be a par score for the small ground and true pitch but Kings XI's swing bowlers dealt too many blows at the start of the chase. Some late hitting got Daredevils close, but they had lost too much ground with all the early wickets.

Adam Gilchrist showed more signs of finding some touch with 42 off 26 in a 60-run opening stand with Shaun Marsh that came in 7.3 overs. Daredevils opened with Irfan Pathan and Siddarth Kaul ahead of the quicker Umesh Yadav and Morne Morkel. While the pair managed swing, Irfan ended too far outside off, as did Ashish Nehra later, and Kaul provided width either side for Gilchrist to indulge in several clean hits over the infield.

Morkel created a chance in his first over, the third of the innings, but Yadav at third man put down a slash from Gilchrist, then on 8. Realising that the pitch alone would not do it for them, Daredevils started varying their pace and tightened their lines. Irfan caught a Gilchrist skier off his own bowling, and the innings lost bite.

Marsh began to struggle to get the slower ones away, and Azhar Mahmood could not get going as well. Umesh Yadav proved difficult to target initially with his pace and full lengths. The first 7.3 overs had produced 60, the next 7.3 generated 43. It was two edged fours from Marsh off Yadav that began the final push in the 16th.

David Miller had arrived in the 12th at Mahmood's exit, and had sized up the bounce and pace of the pitch by now. He started swinging sixes between deep midwicket and long-off. R Sathish chipped in with 22 off 13 and Miller ended on 44 off 24 as 62 came from overs 16 to 19. Nehra recovered to bowl a tight final over, but the damage had been done.

Kings XI had one quick bowler less, but Praveen Kumar and Sandeep Sharma had lots of swing, and lots of control. Praveen handed Unmukt Chand another failure with a big inswinger. Sandeep had Irfan chasing a wide outswinger, and ripped one away from David Warner next ball to have him edge tamely to first slip.

At 12 for 3, Daredevils looked to Virender Sehwag and Mahela Jayawardene. Sehwag struck a few but edged behind in trying to force a good length ball off the back foot. Jayawardene's was a lucky and largely laborious innings. He was put down a couple of times and plodded to 16 off 30 before getting a few off the middle.

Ben Rohrer threatened to do the improbable with 49 off 29 as he went after Mahmood in the penultimate over. Piyush Chawla still had 21 to defend off the final over. He bowled Rohrer first ball with the quick seamer he's developed, and despite a couple of sixes from Morkel, that was it for Daredevils.

Abhishek Purohit is a sub-editor at ESPNcricinfo

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • SherjilIslam on May 18, 2013, 7:20 GMT

    I am a big Delhi fan, but was seriously dissapointed by their approach.I don't know why they bought this guy called" Ben Roehrer" He doesn't have it in him to win matches for any team.Played too many dot balls at crucial phase of the chase, then trying to chase the impossible asking rate of 25 in last couple overs like Misbah used to do for Pakistan. I would say Mahela's poor captaincy+batting this year robbed Delhi of doing any good in this IPL edition Delhi, plz get rid of Mahela and Ben Roehrer like good for nothing players. .

  • priceless1 on May 17, 2013, 8:35 GMT

    like to see Kings x1 make it to the top four , now that the Gilly is in forum the team look well balance

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:36 GMT

    The funny thing is that no one seemed to notice what a difference Gilly's innings made in the match. The top order batsmen in both teams generally had a low strike rate whereas it was the middle order batsmen who were able to accelerate once the ball stopped swinging. But Gilchrist maintained a strike rate of 161 inspite of having to face the new ball.

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:27 GMT

    I wonder why Gautam wasn't allowed to bat at the top order. He usually opens the batting for Karnataka. Probably he should've either opened the batting or come in at No.3. The decision to bring Pathan at No.3 , though a brave move, wasn't the best decision after all because of the swinging ball. That's why less valuable players like Gautam could've played as a shield for DD team.

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:22 GMT

    @Narabavi Hey mate, you didn't understand my point about Mahela. While he was right to consolidate the innings, you should've noticed the fact that he wasn't taking singles regularly enough like Sehwag did. He accelerated a bit after the 12th over but by then the required rate was almost out of reach. If a batsman wastes many deliveries at the start then he is expected to make up for it at the end. Very few batsmen are very successful at doing it like Dhoni and Gayle. Mahela is one of the best improvisers in the game but certainly not a clean striker of the ball to hit the big sixes. That's why he needed to score a bit quicker.

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:14 GMT

    @Tal_Botvinnik If you think Mahela did so well , then you have got to be joking. He is a much better batsman than this. Instead of wasting deliveries in the start he should've at least rotated the strike properly. Rohrer was the only one who showed some fight in the end. DD ended up short because of Mahela's slow scoring in the first 15 overs.

  • DINESHCC on May 17, 2013, 7:00 GMT

    Among the three teams (KXIP, RCB and SRH), SRH has an added advantage of playing the matches at home, that too in a slow pitch. SRH can't take both the matches lightly as RR has got good bowling unit and KKR has Sunil Narine and Senanayake whose 8 overs pose problems for SRH.

  • Narabavi on May 17, 2013, 6:15 GMT

    Mahela did what exactly Shaun Marsh did for Punjab.Reason behind sending him & Chand was prevent big hitters from the moving ball.But that mighty guys still struggled to middle the ball.Mahela's knock was a decent one under the circumstances.He accelarate the innings in the right time.Unfortunately he got out in the wrong time.If he was there, still the target was very much gettable.Umesh Yadav's poor death bowling was the main reason behind this loss.

  • Htc-Android on May 17, 2013, 5:24 GMT

    @Narbavi. When a team wobbling at 12-3 what do you expect a player to do? He did the right thing by holding the innings together. He knew sehwag was batting at the other end and he can play an aggressive innings.

  • British_North_America on May 17, 2013, 5:23 GMT

    At least I hope next time, no one pick Jayawardene for over million.

  • SherjilIslam on May 18, 2013, 7:20 GMT

    I am a big Delhi fan, but was seriously dissapointed by their approach.I don't know why they bought this guy called" Ben Roehrer" He doesn't have it in him to win matches for any team.Played too many dot balls at crucial phase of the chase, then trying to chase the impossible asking rate of 25 in last couple overs like Misbah used to do for Pakistan. I would say Mahela's poor captaincy+batting this year robbed Delhi of doing any good in this IPL edition Delhi, plz get rid of Mahela and Ben Roehrer like good for nothing players. .

  • priceless1 on May 17, 2013, 8:35 GMT

    like to see Kings x1 make it to the top four , now that the Gilly is in forum the team look well balance

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:36 GMT

    The funny thing is that no one seemed to notice what a difference Gilly's innings made in the match. The top order batsmen in both teams generally had a low strike rate whereas it was the middle order batsmen who were able to accelerate once the ball stopped swinging. But Gilchrist maintained a strike rate of 161 inspite of having to face the new ball.

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:27 GMT

    I wonder why Gautam wasn't allowed to bat at the top order. He usually opens the batting for Karnataka. Probably he should've either opened the batting or come in at No.3. The decision to bring Pathan at No.3 , though a brave move, wasn't the best decision after all because of the swinging ball. That's why less valuable players like Gautam could've played as a shield for DD team.

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:22 GMT

    @Narabavi Hey mate, you didn't understand my point about Mahela. While he was right to consolidate the innings, you should've noticed the fact that he wasn't taking singles regularly enough like Sehwag did. He accelerated a bit after the 12th over but by then the required rate was almost out of reach. If a batsman wastes many deliveries at the start then he is expected to make up for it at the end. Very few batsmen are very successful at doing it like Dhoni and Gayle. Mahela is one of the best improvisers in the game but certainly not a clean striker of the ball to hit the big sixes. That's why he needed to score a bit quicker.

  • andrew27994 on May 17, 2013, 7:14 GMT

    @Tal_Botvinnik If you think Mahela did so well , then you have got to be joking. He is a much better batsman than this. Instead of wasting deliveries in the start he should've at least rotated the strike properly. Rohrer was the only one who showed some fight in the end. DD ended up short because of Mahela's slow scoring in the first 15 overs.

  • DINESHCC on May 17, 2013, 7:00 GMT

    Among the three teams (KXIP, RCB and SRH), SRH has an added advantage of playing the matches at home, that too in a slow pitch. SRH can't take both the matches lightly as RR has got good bowling unit and KKR has Sunil Narine and Senanayake whose 8 overs pose problems for SRH.

  • Narabavi on May 17, 2013, 6:15 GMT

    Mahela did what exactly Shaun Marsh did for Punjab.Reason behind sending him & Chand was prevent big hitters from the moving ball.But that mighty guys still struggled to middle the ball.Mahela's knock was a decent one under the circumstances.He accelarate the innings in the right time.Unfortunately he got out in the wrong time.If he was there, still the target was very much gettable.Umesh Yadav's poor death bowling was the main reason behind this loss.

  • Htc-Android on May 17, 2013, 5:24 GMT

    @Narbavi. When a team wobbling at 12-3 what do you expect a player to do? He did the right thing by holding the innings together. He knew sehwag was batting at the other end and he can play an aggressive innings.

  • British_North_America on May 17, 2013, 5:23 GMT

    At least I hope next time, no one pick Jayawardene for over million.

  • Narbavi on May 17, 2013, 4:24 GMT

    What a lousy innings from the captain, put pressure on the other batsmen by wasting deliveries while chasing 170+, at one point he was on 11 from 25, he let the team down again, hope DD management learns from their mistakes and drop Jayawardena

  • Narbavi on May 17, 2013, 4:20 GMT

    @Tal_Botvinnik: Pls don't give excuses, he wasted too many balls opening the innings and was dropped twice too, what a dismal performance that was!!

  • sonu77 on May 17, 2013, 3:47 GMT

    So called India's best current fast bowler conceding 40 odd runs in 2 crucial overs.That was the turning point of the match.

  • satzzz on May 17, 2013, 3:20 GMT

    Seasoned and proven openers, Sehwag and Warner, are batting in the middle order whereas the man, famous for holding the innings and has a reputation for one of the all time greats in middle order for his country, Jayawardane, is opening the innings. This DD team is very much like Team India under Greg Chappell. Dravid opening the batting with Sachin batting in the middle order. Tough to accept but things won't change if this is the way it is gonna be proceeded. Looking for a massive change for next season.

  • on May 17, 2013, 3:16 GMT

    If SRH win today or RCB win tomorrow, KXIP out instantly.

    If RCB wins tomorrow, SRH has to win both matches to make it top four.

    Chances: SRH - 99% | RCB - 1% | KXIP - 0%. This is mathematical. But given that SRH is facing RR, I seriously doubt if they will make it to playoffs.

  • on May 17, 2013, 2:05 GMT

    shewag and warner should have played like mahela. they should have waited till the ball get old. Good tactics by mahela but sad that others didn't follow him.

    No blame on mahela

  • Tal_Botvinnik on May 17, 2013, 0:57 GMT

    @andrew27994 I am back, didn't watch the match yesterday, I don't understand why to you call it a dismal performance, he was unlucky to get out; caught of the middle of the bat.. He give some momentum in the middle of the innings with rohrer.

    MJ's Decisions are not poor but now the focus is on DD v.2014. finding spots where the players can adjust. At-least he is finding some form with some thirties.

    @gsingh7 if he was out earlier then DD would have been bowled out in just 15 overs! MJ partnered Roher for that imp. partnership.

  • Lankan_Pride1981 on May 16, 2013, 23:46 GMT

    whats indian cricket gonna gain from this? from number 1-4 batsmen in punjab kings 11 are overseas players

  • on May 16, 2013, 23:11 GMT

    It is interesting to note that the 3 who qualified have Indian captains who knows better to handle the local guys. This was not the case till 2012. In 2012 also we had the teams with indian captains in the final. The classic example of failure is PWI where they dont have anyone to lead and manage properly. Good for MI that Punter was changed early and made RS more responsible. One doesnt need a rocket science to understand the failures of other teams. MI and CSK has got good Indian batsmen and bowlers supported by good allrounders. That was exactly RCB was lacking. RR is only a one season wonder and will be difficult to repeat the same level next year. If you look at CSK and MI, they reatined the core team after 3 seasons and it paid rich dividends. With the next round of auction due, MI, CSK, RCB is expected to retain the maximum number of players, if allowed. If IPL is inducting one more team for 2014, they can put 3-4 teams for a qualifier stage and let 2 of them to play mainstage

  • on May 16, 2013, 20:36 GMT

    @Unmesh_cric though RCB can loose to CSK by a margin of 50 runs, but can Kings XI beat MI by a margin of 50 runs in their last match :D moreover SH will also not loose both of their upcoming matches, one with RR and the other with KKR

    to modify Tajirul Haque figure I can say SRH have 60% chance, RCB has 39% chance and Kings XI has 1% chance :-)

  • Doconcall on May 16, 2013, 20:30 GMT

    I apologize people.....When I read royals on the upcoming matches, I was still thing RCB, but soon realized it is RR. Anyways, I am with you all on thinking that Kings are out of contention. Firstly, they have a big match coming up against MI and they will need to win it. Also, if they win against MI, Sunrisers have to loose both their matches and RCB has to loose it with big margin. But it will be good contest for the next couple days. Yay.....IPL

  • andrew27994 on May 16, 2013, 20:22 GMT

    Oh would you look at that ? Baseball-Sucks and Tal_Botvinnik are missing. Quite expected after Mahela's dismal performance.

    But amazing fight shown by Rohrer which really made a match of this. Sandeep Sharma and Praveen Kumar were outstanding. KXIP, however need to perform a lot better than this to beat MI.

  • Unmesh_cric on May 16, 2013, 19:59 GMT

    @Tajirul Haque, I agree that Kings XI have a very very slim chance, but I wouldn't call it 0 % chance. If Kings XI win their next match by a huge margin (let's say 50 runs) and if RCB lose their next match by a big margin (~50 runs), their net run rates will be pretty close. Right now KXIP net run rate is close to 0 and RCB's is ~ +0.3. But with the above scenario, KXIP run rate will go to approximately +0.15 and RCB run rate will go down to ~ +0.15 or lower. I know this is highly unlikely since KXIP rarely win with such a big margin and RCB don't get thrashed by such a massive margin. But KXIP have a theoretical chance if above scenario actually happens and if Sunrisers lose both their remaining matches. There are a lot of "if"s for KXIP to qualify though :-)

  • on May 16, 2013, 19:37 GMT

    YES Kings are out and sunrisers have much better chance to go up.

  • on May 16, 2013, 19:24 GMT

    Prove How is Kings XI still in the hunt??

    I think they are out of the tournament mainly because they have a very bad run rate as compared to RBC. Even if RCB loses the last match they will have a better run rate than KIngs XI. So, if SRH loses both of their remaining matches, RCB will qualify without wining the last match.

    In my opinion, SRH is the most probable time in the forth spot as they have two chances. so, SRH has 60% chance, RCB 40% and Kings XI 0% to qualify for the forth spot in the qualifiers.

    Let me know if I am wrong!!

  • gsingh7 on May 16, 2013, 19:20 GMT

    mj lost yet another match by his bowling changes and less than 100 sr when required sr was 180. he alongwith mathews have produced worst results and rightly so their teams are bottom of pile .

  • gsingh7 on May 16, 2013, 19:18 GMT

    doco-- srh play rajasthan royals who already qualified for play offs. kings 11 can sneak through if they win mi in 2 days and rest results go in their favour. gilly is in form so is marsh and miller, indian bowlers like praveen sandy awana and chawla are more than decent on these tracks. if kings 11 go through then they will win ipl 6

  • on May 16, 2013, 19:18 GMT

    @Doconcall SRH plays RR tomorrow not RCB.

  • SurlyCynic on May 16, 2013, 19:17 GMT

    I was amazed to see all the comments on the live commentary calling Miller a 'one hit wonder'. Before today Miller had averaged over 60 in this IPL at a strike rate over 160, with one hundred and 3 50s, including a match-winning 80 odd where he won the match in the final over. And he wasn't even in the KXI team for the first few games.

    Today was another good innings, but noone can fire every time in T20 - too many risks are taken, even Gayle misfires between big innings. So when someone is scoring at the highest strike rate in the IPL why are fans so quick to criticise?

  • Natesan333 on May 16, 2013, 19:03 GMT

    DD needed over 11 an over and MJ goes for 39 of 42 balls. good going captain, way to lose an other game for Delhi.

  • No featured comments at the moment.

  • Natesan333 on May 16, 2013, 19:03 GMT

    DD needed over 11 an over and MJ goes for 39 of 42 balls. good going captain, way to lose an other game for Delhi.

  • SurlyCynic on May 16, 2013, 19:17 GMT

    I was amazed to see all the comments on the live commentary calling Miller a 'one hit wonder'. Before today Miller had averaged over 60 in this IPL at a strike rate over 160, with one hundred and 3 50s, including a match-winning 80 odd where he won the match in the final over. And he wasn't even in the KXI team for the first few games.

    Today was another good innings, but noone can fire every time in T20 - too many risks are taken, even Gayle misfires between big innings. So when someone is scoring at the highest strike rate in the IPL why are fans so quick to criticise?

  • on May 16, 2013, 19:18 GMT

    @Doconcall SRH plays RR tomorrow not RCB.

  • gsingh7 on May 16, 2013, 19:18 GMT

    doco-- srh play rajasthan royals who already qualified for play offs. kings 11 can sneak through if they win mi in 2 days and rest results go in their favour. gilly is in form so is marsh and miller, indian bowlers like praveen sandy awana and chawla are more than decent on these tracks. if kings 11 go through then they will win ipl 6

  • gsingh7 on May 16, 2013, 19:20 GMT

    mj lost yet another match by his bowling changes and less than 100 sr when required sr was 180. he alongwith mathews have produced worst results and rightly so their teams are bottom of pile .

  • on May 16, 2013, 19:24 GMT

    Prove How is Kings XI still in the hunt??

    I think they are out of the tournament mainly because they have a very bad run rate as compared to RBC. Even if RCB loses the last match they will have a better run rate than KIngs XI. So, if SRH loses both of their remaining matches, RCB will qualify without wining the last match.

    In my opinion, SRH is the most probable time in the forth spot as they have two chances. so, SRH has 60% chance, RCB 40% and Kings XI 0% to qualify for the forth spot in the qualifiers.

    Let me know if I am wrong!!

  • on May 16, 2013, 19:37 GMT

    YES Kings are out and sunrisers have much better chance to go up.

  • Unmesh_cric on May 16, 2013, 19:59 GMT

    @Tajirul Haque, I agree that Kings XI have a very very slim chance, but I wouldn't call it 0 % chance. If Kings XI win their next match by a huge margin (let's say 50 runs) and if RCB lose their next match by a big margin (~50 runs), their net run rates will be pretty close. Right now KXIP net run rate is close to 0 and RCB's is ~ +0.3. But with the above scenario, KXIP run rate will go to approximately +0.15 and RCB run rate will go down to ~ +0.15 or lower. I know this is highly unlikely since KXIP rarely win with such a big margin and RCB don't get thrashed by such a massive margin. But KXIP have a theoretical chance if above scenario actually happens and if Sunrisers lose both their remaining matches. There are a lot of "if"s for KXIP to qualify though :-)

  • andrew27994 on May 16, 2013, 20:22 GMT

    Oh would you look at that ? Baseball-Sucks and Tal_Botvinnik are missing. Quite expected after Mahela's dismal performance.

    But amazing fight shown by Rohrer which really made a match of this. Sandeep Sharma and Praveen Kumar were outstanding. KXIP, however need to perform a lot better than this to beat MI.

  • Doconcall on May 16, 2013, 20:30 GMT

    I apologize people.....When I read royals on the upcoming matches, I was still thing RCB, but soon realized it is RR. Anyways, I am with you all on thinking that Kings are out of contention. Firstly, they have a big match coming up against MI and they will need to win it. Also, if they win against MI, Sunrisers have to loose both their matches and RCB has to loose it with big margin. But it will be good contest for the next couple days. Yay.....IPL