- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Brown214130014.28c †Russell b Hick7412016210061.66b Cork18100012.50b Mullally14821829918167.88run out (Salisbury/†Russell)712131058.33lbw b Cork1764761026.56lbw b Ealham1034501029.41c Hick b Salisbury451111374040.54c †Russell b Mullally1129282037.93c Brown b Mullally49131044.44not out1037752027.02Extras11 (b 3, lb 5, nb 3)TOTAL340 all out (108.2 Overs, RR: 3.13)Fall of wickets: 1-7 (Aamer Sohail), 2-12 (Ijaz Ahmed), 3-142 (Saeed Anwar), 4-153 (Saleem Malik), 5-209 (Shadab Kabir), 6-257 (Wasim Akram), 7-267 (Inzamam-ul-Haq), 8-280 (Mushtaq Ahmed), 9-290 (Waqar Younis), 10-340 (Rashid Latif)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Waqar Younis511071397047.66lbw b Wasim Akram1282220150.00lbw b Mushtaq Ahmed391021216038.23b Ata-ur-Rehman771672396046.10b Waqar Younis420180020.00c †Rashid Latif b Ata-ur-Rehman2579803031.64not out411101725037.27c Saeed Anwar b Ata-ur-Rehman3470075.00lbw b Waqar Younis55310100.00b Waqar Younis023000.00b Ata-ur-Rehman11722005.88Extras27 (b 9, lb 13, nb 4, w 1)TOTAL285 all out (102.4 Overs, RR: 2.77)Fall of wickets: 1-27 (MA Atherton), 2-107 (NV Knight), 3-107 (AJ Stewart), 4-116 (GA Hick), 5-180 (MA Ealham), 6-260 (GP Thorpe), 7-264 (DG Cork), 8-269 (IDK Salisbury), 9-269 (AD Mullally), 10-285 (SJE Brown)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc †Russell b Mullally881441988161.11c †Russell b Cork331512045021.85lbw b Cork761261829160.31c Thorpe b Brown511211045.45c Ealham b Cork701481879047.29not out2758953046.55not out3443606079.06Extras19 (b 4, lb 14, nb 1)TOTAL352/5d (113.2 Overs, RR: 3.1)Fall of wickets: 1-136 (Saeed Anwar), 2-136 (Shadab Kabir), 3-161 (Mushtaq Ahmed), 4-279 (Ijaz Ahmed), 5-308 (Inzamam-ul-Haq)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Waqar Younis11927005.26c sub (Asif Mujtaba) b Mushtaq Ahmed642112788030.33c sub (Moin Khan) b Mushtaq Ahmed891892588047.08lbw b Mushtaq Ahmed33562008.57b Waqar Younis4661066.66b Mushtaq Ahmed58111062.50c †Rashid Latif b Waqar Younis18120012.50b Waqar Younis31090030.00c †Rashid Latif b Wasim Akram4058727068.96c sub (Moin Khan) b Mushtaq Ahmed618251033.33not out1027402037.03Extras17 (b 6, lb 7, nb 4)TOTAL243 all out (97.1 Overs, RR: 2.5)Fall of wickets: 1-14 (NV Knight), 2-168 (MA Atherton), 3-171 (AJ Stewart), 4-176 (GA Hick), 5-181 (MA Ealham), 6-182 (RC Russell), 7-186 (DG Cork), 8-186 (GP Thorpe), 9-208 (AD Mullally), 10-243 (IDK Salisbury)
Pakistan , elected to bat first
Player Of The Match
Pakistan led the 3-match series 1-0
25,26,27,28,29 July 1996 (5-day match)
- Thu, 25 Jul - day 1 - Pakistan 1st innings 290/9 (Rashid Latif 7*)
- Fri, 26 Jul - day 2 - England 1st innings 200/5 (GP Thorpe 43*, RC Russell 4*)
- Sat, 27 Jul - day 3 - Pakistan 2nd innings 162/3 (Ijaz Ahmed 20*, Inzamam-ul-Haq 0*)
- Sun, 28 Jul - day 4 - England 2nd innings 74/1 (MA Atherton 24*, AJ Stewart 46*)
- Mon, 29 Jul - day 5 - England 2nd innings 243 (97.1 ov) - end of match
- Man of the Match adjudicator: Jonathan Agnew
- Atherton dropped by Rashid Latif off Ata-ur-Rehman when on 19, and the England Total at 39/1.
- A maximum of 124 overs to be bowled in England's 2nd innings.
- Inzamam-ul-Haq bruised his left knee and left the field. Shahid Anwar substituted.
- Thorpe dropped by Rashid Latif off the bowling of Waqar Younis, when on 73 and England Total at 254/5.
- Lunch taken at the fall of the 9th wicket, Mullally.
- Aamer Sohail is injured. Shadab Kabir is opening the batting with Saeed Anwar.
- A female streaker runs towards the pavilion.
- Knight edged a googly from Mushtaq Ahmed and was dropped in the 1st slip by Aamir Sohail, when his score was 48 and England Total 100/1. While Knight indicated that he had played the ball, the Umpire awarded legbyes (2 runs). Replays however showed that Knight had indeed hit the ball.
- During the Tea interval, the umpires decided to award 2 runs to Knight (that were earlier awarded as legbyes).
- Ealham gave a chance of caught and bowled to Mushtaq Ahmed when on 18 and England Total 157/4.
- Wasim Akram off the field, Moin Khan the substitute fielder.
- Thorpe dropped at short leg off the bowling of Mushtaq Ahmed, when on 43, and England Total 200/5, in the last over of the day.
- The last instance when England played 2 left-arm seamers together was in 1912, H.Dean and F.Foster, 2 Tests.
- Simon Brown picked up his maiden wicket off his 10th ball in Tests.
- Cork was off the ground for a brief while to get his elbow bandaged, Andrew Flintoff substituted.
- Saleem Malik was dropped by Atherton (a difficult chance) of Ealham when he had not opened his account.
- Inzamam-ul-Haq's 5th Test century, all of them made abroad. He reached his century with a 4 and a 6 off Hick's bowling.
- Cork left the field in the 72nd over. Flintoff fielding as the substitute.
- Inzamam-ul-Haq dropped by Thorpe off Brown in the slips, at the individual score of 132, and Pakistan Total 251/5.
- When on 136, Inzamam-ul-Haq's crossed his previous highest score of 135* made against New Zealand.
- Mushtaq Ahmed and Rashid Latif ran 5 runs, but the TV replay umpire ruled that as only a 4, as the ball crossed the boundary.
- The 9th wicket fell on the 4th ball of the last over of the day. That was the close of play for Day 1.