- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Gurusinha b Pushpakumara736411019.44run out13713719885100.00c †Kaluwitharana b Dharmasena3246562169.56not out72801014090.00not out11200100.00Extras22 (b 4, lb 7, w 11)TOTAL271/3 (50 Overs, RR: 5.42)Fall of wickets: 1-27 (M Prabhakar), 2-93 (SV Manjrekar), 3-268 (SR Tendulkar)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Prabhakar b Kumble79769392103.94c Kumble b Prasad26162260162.50run out2527612192.59st †Mongia b Kumble814141057.14not out46631182073.01not out70981106071.42Extras18 (b 4, lb 9, nb 2, w 3)TOTAL272/4 (48.4 Overs, RR: 5.58)Fall of wickets: 1-53 (RS Kaluwitharana), 2-129 (AP Gurusinha), 3-137 (ST Jayasuriya), 4-141 (PA de Silva)
- Match start delayed by 15 minutes, no loss in overs.
- SR Tendulkar and M Azharuddin 175 for the 3rd wicket, equal 4th highest partnership for any wicket for India in ODIs, highest partnership for any wicket for India in the World Cup, 7th highest partnership for any country for any wicket in the World Cup, record partnership for any wicket at the Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi.
- SR Tendulkar 137, personal high score, 2nd highest ever for India in ODIs (highest: 175* by N Kapil Dev v ZIM 18/06/1983), 4th highest score by any player in India, highest ever in Delhi, 6 centuries in his last 28 ODIs, 6 centuries an Indian record (previous: NS Sidhu 5), equal 13th on the all-time list.
- M Prabhakar bowled off-spin for his 2nd spell of 2 overs.
- Sri Lanka's 8th win from 30 in India, 12th win in 38 matches against India, 5th win in 19 matches against India in India, 1st win in 4 matches in Delhi.
How much do you know about the sixth World Cup?
Venkatesh Prasad dismisses Aamer Sohail as emotions run high in the India v Pakistan World Cup 1996 quarter-final
Ravindra Pushpakumara, the 12th man in the 1996 final, was asked to pass on tons of advice to the batsmen in the middle. But he didn't
The former Kenya captain recalls Kenya's shock win over West Indies in 1996 and his spell that had Australia quivering in 2003
Behind the scenes at a global tournament mostly involves endless meetings, faxes, waiting around, and dealing with fans' and the media's outrage