- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc LO Tikolo b EO Odumbe44274353162.96b EO Odumbe33185142183.33c Onyango b Karim841031207381.55c Modi b Suji145115153145126.08not out754049131187.50run out014000.00not out00300-Extras17 (b 1, lb 5, w 11)TOTAL398/5 (50 Overs, RR: 7.96)Fall of wickets: 1-83 (ST Jayasuriya), 2-88 (RS Kaluwitharana), 3-271 (AP Gurusinha), 4-377 (PA de Silva), 5-383 (HP Tillakaratne)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Muralitharan27234050117.39b Vaas1428341150.00b Dharmasena969512284101.05st †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan022000.00run out (Muralitharan)41821112050.00not out2540452162.50c Muralitharan b Ranatunga417150023.52c sub (MS Atapattu) b Ranatunga23182221127.77not out2440050.00Extras22 (b 1, lb 9, nb 5, w 7)TOTAL254/7 (50 Overs, RR: 5.08)Fall of wickets: 1-47 (KO Otieno), 2-51 (DN Chudasama), 3-51 (MO Odumbe), 4-188 (SO Tikolo), 5-196 (HS Modi), 6-215 (EO Odumbe), 7-246 (LN Onyango)
Player Of The Match
- PA de Silva 100 in 92 balls
- PA de Silva 145, highest ever score for Sri Lanka in ODIs (previous best ST Jayasuriya 140 v NZ at Bloemfontein 08/12/1994), first ever century for Sri Lanka in the World Cup.
- A Ranatunga 50 in 29 balls
- Gurusinha dropped by Onyango off Karim when on 79.
- Gurusinha hits a ball outside the ground and the ball is lost. Umpires provide a replacement ball.
- de Silva, and then Ranatunga crossed 5000 runs in ODI cricket, - the first two from Sri Lanka to do so - during this innings.
- Sri Lanka 398 runs, highest ever score in ODI history. Sri Lanka now have the top score, but also have 6 of the top 12 totals scored against them.
- SO Tikolo 96, highest ever score for Kenya.
How much do you know about the sixth World Cup?
Behind the scenes at a global tournament mostly involves endless meetings, faxes, waiting around, and dealing with fans' and the media's outrage
A Brian Lara special helped West Indies see off South Africa in the quarter-final of the 1996 World Cup
Ravindra Pushpakumara, the 12th man in the 1996 final, was asked to pass on tons of advice to the batsmen in the middle. But he didn't
West Indies had the 1996 semi-final against Australia in the bag. Then they found a way to throw it away