- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Jayasuriya b de Silva74831098189.15c Jayasuriya b Vaas1215291080.00b de Silva4573902061.64c de Silva b Dharmasena1325320052.00st †Kaluwitharana b Muralitharan2540040.00c de Silva b Jayasuriya2230430173.33not out3649582073.46b de Silva2320066.66not out1318210072.22Extras22 (lb 10, nb 1, w 11)TOTAL241/7 (50 Overs, RR: 4.82)Fall of wickets: 1-36 (ME Waugh), 2-137 (MA Taylor), 3-152 (RT Ponting), 4-156 (SK Warne), 5-170 (SR Waugh), 6-202 (SG Law), 7-205 (IA Healy)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRrun out97910128.57c Bevan b Fleming613270046.15b Reiffel65991196165.65not out10712417613086.29not out47377241127.02Extras11 (b 1, lb 4, nb 1, w 5)TOTAL245/3 (46.2 Overs, RR: 5.28)Fall of wickets: 1-12 (ST Jayasuriya), 2-23 (RS Kaluwitharana), 3-148 (AP Gurusinha)
Player Of The Match
Player Of The Series
- Jayasuriya named player of the tournament after the 2nd semi final.
- MA Taylor 74, highest score by an Australian captain in any World Cup match.
- SK Warne, 1st player to be stumped in a World Cup final (by RS Kaluwitharana).
- Sri Lanka least wickets lost (3) in any World Cup final.
- Sri Lanka are the 1st host country to win a World Cup, and the 1st country to win a World Cup final batting second.
- Sri Lanka win their 1st World Cup after only winning a total of 4 matches in the previous 5 World Cups.
On the biggest stage of them all, after Sri Lanka lost their openers early, de Silva stood head and shoulders above the competition and his team-mates
Ravindra Pushpakumara, the 12th man in the 1996 final, was asked to pass on tons of advice to the batsmen in the middle. But he didn't
Aravinda de Silva's all-round showing in the 1996 final, against Australia, helped Sri Lanka seal their maiden global title
He may not have played T20, but Asanka Gurusinha would have fit right in if he had