- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRrun out (Muralitharan)45741333060.81c Ranatunga b Vaas39334460118.18not out12611817854106.77c Tillakaratne b Jayasuriya5731071.42not out78718642109.85Extras9 (lb 2, nb 3, w 4)TOTAL302/3 (50 Overs, RR: 6.04)Fall of wickets: 1-64 (AJ Stewart, 10.1 ov), 2-139 (NV Knight, 26.3 ov), 3-148 (N Hussain, 28.4 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Fairbrother b Gough51364562141.66run out (Hollioake)00500-c Fairbrother b Mullally312120025.00b Croft2848791058.33lbw b Wells12011116290108.10c Wells b Gough4151572080.39run out (Hussain)56120083.33c Fairbrother b Wells25183011138.88run out (Fairbrother)13112020118.18not out24140050.00not out22600100.00Extras13 (lb 9, w 4)TOTAL303/9 (49.4 Overs, RR: 6.1)Fall of wickets: 1-3 (RS Kaluwitharana, 1.1 ov), 2-8 (MS Atapattu, 3.5 ov), 3-68 (ST Jayasuriya, 10.1 ov), 4-134 (HP Tillakaratne, 22.6 ov), 5-223 (A Ranatunga, 38.4 ov), 6-235 (WPUJC Vaas, 41.4 ov), 7-269 (DPMD Jayawardene, 45.2 ov), 8-288 (UDU Chandana, 47.4 ov), 9-298 (RS Mahanama, 48.5 ov)
Player Of The Match
- 4th Umpire - P Angley
- Scorers: MN Ashton (Eng) and RM Artis (SL)
- 12th Men: BC Hollioake (England) and ASA Perera (Sri Lanka)
M Muralitharan was called for throwing at 17.4 overs by umpire RA Emerson at square leg. Sri Lankan captain A Ranatunga then confronted the umpire and a heated argument followed. Ranatunga then summoned the Sri Lankan players to leave the field. Team manager Ranjith Fernando and match referee Peter van der Merwe were summoned and discussions and phonecalls to the Sri Lankan Cricket Board were conducted on the boundary line before play resumed. 14 minutes were lost.
- GA Hick 50 in 85 mins from 66 balls, 1x4, 2x6
- NH Fairbrother 50 in 66 mins from 57 balls, 2x4
- GA Hick 100 in 164 mins from 109 balls, 2x4, 3x6
- Hick/Fairbrother 4th wicket partnership 154* in 86 mins from 129 balls
- DPMD Jayawardene 50 in 51 minutes from 43 balls, 4x4
- DPMD jayawardene 100 in 142 mins from 100 balls, 6x4
- Sri Lanka innings: 1x7 ball over
- Sri Lanka won at 10.19pm
- Attendance: 9850
'Obviously there's a campaign against him in Australia'
Five years after he no-balled Sri Lankan Muttiah Muralitharan for throwing at the Adelaide Oval, causing a furious row with Arjuna Ranatunga, umpire Ross Emerson said that he remains convinced that Muralitharan's action 'is worse than ever before'