|India 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|NR Mongia†||c Jayawardene b Pushpakumara||7||58||38||0||0||18.42|
|NS Sidhu||c †Kaluwitharana b Vaas||111||250||200||13||2||55.50|
|R Dravid||c & b Jayasuriya||69||250||197||10||0||35.02|
|SR Tendulkar*||c Jayawardene b Muralitharan||143||292||247||20||0||57.89|
|M Azharuddin||c & b Muralitharan||126||290||199||11||0||63.31|
|SC Ganguly||c Mahanama b Jayasuriya||0||5||5||0||0||0.00|
|A Kumble||not out||27||111||76||2||0||35.52|
|RK Chauhan||c Vaas b Jayasuriya||23||44||49||3||1||46.93|
|A Kuruvilla||c Atapattu b Pushpakumara||9||24||10||0||1||90.00|
|Extras||(b 10, nb 12)||22|
|Total||(8 wickets dec; 167.3 overs)||537||(3.20 runs per over)|
|Sri Lanka 1st innings||R||M||B||4s||6s||SR|
|ST Jayasuriya||c Ganguly b Chauhan||340||799||578||36||2||58.82|
|MS Atapattu||c †Mongia b Kulkarni||26||42||31||5||0||83.87|
|RS Mahanama||lbw b Kumble||225||753||561||27||0||40.10|
|PA de Silva||c Prasad b Ganguly||126||293||211||16||0||59.71|
|A Ranatunga*||run out (sub [A Jadeja]/†Mongia)||86||150||110||14||0||78.18|
|DPMD Jayawardene||c Kulkarni b Ganguly||66||133||105||10||0||62.85|
|RS Kaluwitharana†||not out||14||42||27||1||0||51.85|
|WPUJC Vaas||not out||11||36||24||0||0||45.83|
|Extras||(b 28, lb 9, w 7, nb 14)||58|
|Total||(6 wickets dec; 271 overs)||952||(3.51 runs per over)|
|BKV Prasad||24||1||88||0||3.66||(1nb, 1w)|
|RK Chauhan||78||8||276||1||3.53||(9nb, 3w)|
- Tendulkar had an all run 4 (due to overthrows).
- NM Kulkarni took the wicket of MS Atapattu with his first ball in Test cricket. This was the 12th occasion in Test cricket.
- Mahanama had an all run 4.
- ST Jayasuriya and RS Mahanama batted throughout the full day. This was the 12th occasion in Test cricket.
- ST Jayasuriya 340 off 578 balls, 36x4 2x6. * 50 off 71 balls, 9x4. * 100 off 138 balls, 14x4. * 150 off 235 balls, 19x4. * 200 off 327 balls, 25x4. * Highest Test score in Sri Lanka (previous: DSBP Kuruppu 201*, Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Colombo (CCC), 1986/87). * Personal High Score in First-class cricket (previous: 207* for Sri Lanka 'B' v Pakistan 'B', 1988/89) * 250 off 425 balls, 29x4. * Highest Test score by a Sri Lankan (previous: PA de Silva 267 v New Zealand at Wellington, 1990/91). * Highest First-class score by a Sri Lankan * Highest First-class score in Sri Lanka (previous: FMM Worrell 285, Commonwealth v Ceylon at Colombo, 1950/51). * 300 off 518 balls, 32x4, 1x6. * First ever Sri Lankan to score 300 runs in a Test innings. * Highest Test score against India (previous: GA Gooch 333, England v India at Lord's, 1990). * 4th Highest score in Test history (Highest: BC Lara 375, West Indies v England at St John's, 1993/94).
- RS Mahanama 225 off 561 balls, 27x4 0x6 * 100 off 244 balls, 10x4 * 150 off 346 balls, 18x4 * Personal High score in First-class cricket (previous: 153 for Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Moratuwa, 1992/93). * 200 off 480 balls, 22x4
- ST Jayasuriya and RS Mahanama partnership: 576 runs * Highest Test partnership for any wicket for Sri Lanka (previous: 240* for the 4th wicket, AP Gurusinha and A Ranatunga, v Pakistan at Colombo (PSS), 1985/86). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 246* for the 6th wicket, JJ Crowe and RJ Hadlee, New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Colombo (CCC), 1986/87). * Highest First-class partnership for the 2nd wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 289 WAMP Perera and TP Kodikara, Antonians v Rio SC at Colombo, 1992/93). * Highest First-class partnership for any wicket in Sri Lanka (previous: 315 for the 3rd wicket, ST Perera and RS Kalpage, Bloomfield v Antonians at Colombo, 1995/96). * Highest Test partnership for the 2nd wicket (previous: 451 WH Ponsford and DG Bradman, Australia v England at The Oval, 1934). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket against India (previous: 451 Javed Miandad and Mudassar Nazar at Hyderabad, 1982/83). * Highest Test partnership for any wicket (previous: 467 MD Crowe and AH Jones, New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Wellington, 1990/91). * Highest First-class partnership for the 2nd wicket (previous: 475 Zahir Alam and LS Rajput, Assam v Tripura at Gauhati, 1991/92). * Longest Test partnership for any wicket (previous: 579 minutes, GStA Sobers and FMM Worrell, West Indies v England at Bridgetown, 1959/60). * First ever 500 run Test partnership * First time a partnership remained unbroken throughout 2 complete days of Test cricket. * (Note: Sobers and Worrell in 1959/60 batted throughout 2 days with an hour lost to rain.) * 2nd highest partnership for any wicket in First-class cricket (Highest: 577, VS Hazare and Gul Mahomed, Baroda v Holkar at Baroda, 1946/47).
- Sri Lanka team total * Highest Test score with only 1 wicket fallen (previous: 533/1, West Indies v Pakistan at Kingston, 1957/58). * Highest Test score for Sri Lanka (previous: 547/8 v Australia at Colombo (SSC), 1992/93). * Highest First-class score in Sri Lanka (previous: 549/8d, West Indies v Ceylon at Colombo, 1966/67). * Highest Test score against India (previous: 699/5, Pakistan v India at Lahore, 1989/90). * Highest team total in a Test match (previous: 903/7d, England v Australia at The Oval, 1938). * 3rd highest team total in First-class cricket (Highest: 1107, Victoria v New South Wales at Melbourne, 1926/27).