Suryakumar Yadav picked for Vijay Hazare after issuing apology
Suryakumar Yadav has been added to Mumbai's 14-member squad for the 50-overs Vijay Hazare Trophy after he tendered an apology to the Mumbai Cricket Association for retweeting a post on Twitter that questioned his exclusion from the team for the Inter-state T20 tournament.
"The president has accepted his apology and he has been cleared to play in the Vijay Hazare tournament. Surya had sent a letter yesterday and met with the president [Ashish Shelar] today," MCA joint-secretary Unmesh Khanvilkar told ESPNcricinfo. "Surya wrote in his letter that such things wouldn't happen in the future. He also said that it was the agency [that manages him] that had retweeted the post."
The Mumbai batsman had earlier been asked to show cause and appear before the MCA's managing committee. Consequently, Suryakumar's selection for the Vijay Hazare Trophy inter-state one-day tournament had been withheld pending the committee's decision.
Khanvilkar said on Tuesday that players were not allowed to comment on selection decisions on social media. Suryakumar, 26, has been involved in a few controversies over the last few years. Last year, Suryakumar was let off with a warning for tweeting his displeasure at opener Jay Bista's omission from the Mumbai side for their semi-final game against Madhya Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy. He had also quit as Mumbai captain midway through an underwhelming 2014-15 season. At that point he was reprimanded by MCA officials after some players complained against him for using abusive language on the field and in the dressing room.
Mumbai will take on defending champions Gujarat in the opening match of the tournament on February 25.
Arun Venugopal is a correspondent at ESPNcricinfo. @scarletrun