West Indies news

Gayle pulls out of Somerset deal

ESPNcricinfo staff

May 3, 2012

Chris Gayle top scored for West Indies with 80, Netherlands v West Indies, Group B, World Cup 2011, Delhi, February 28, 2011
Chris Gayle could be back in the West Indies side after declaring himself available in all formats © AFP

Chris Gayle has pulled out of his Twenty20 contract with Somerset, declaring himself committed to playing for West Indies in all forms of the game. The move could smooth the way for Gayle to return to the West Indies side for the upcoming tour of England, which would end a year-long standoff between Gayle and the WICB that stemmed from comments he made about the board in a radio interview last April.

Gayle was not chosen in the Test squad for the England tour but after progress was made in reaching a resolution between the two parties, he was considered to have a chance to be selected for the three ODIs that follow the Tests. However, those matches clash with the Friends Life t20, a tournament for which Gayle had agreed to play with Somerset, and the WICB chief executive Ernest Hilaire said Gayle could not be considered unless he categorically made himself available.

"I wish to advise that as of today, May 2nd, 2012, I have written to Somerset CC and advised them that I will not be honouring the commitment I made to them when I signed a contract with them for the 2012 [Friends Life t20]. I made it clear to them that my decision was made because of my commitment to West Indies cricket and to West Indies cricket fans, and because ... I believe that it is time for the WICB to make a decision which will provide a clearer view of my own future," Gayle said in a statement.

"I understand that by making this decision, it may place me in a position of considerable risk, since I am foregoing a signed contract, without any guarantees whatsoever, with only the hope that I will be selected to play for the West Indies again. I have now satisfied all of the requests of the WICB and their selection panel, with whom I met via teleconference yesterday, and to whom I reiterated previous assurances given to the board regarding my availability.

"So that there is no doubt, I confirmed to the selectors that I was available for West Indies duty in all forms of cricket, immediately following the conclusion of my contractual obligations to my IPL franchise, Royal Challengers Bangalore. This has been a difficult time, and I wish to sincerely thank everyone who has supported me, my family and friends, and in particular cricket fans worldwide who have continued to show appreciation for me wherever I have played. I look forward to once again putting on the maroon, and resuming my international career and my service to West Indies cricket."

Gayle has not played for West Indies since the 2011 World Cup, but he has been in outstanding form in the IPL. He is third on the tournament's run tally and has scored 81, 87, 4, 86 and 71 from his past five innings.

Edited by Brydon Coverdale

Posted by essky on (May 6, 2012, 17:13 GMT)

@JG2704 I can't seem to find my post that you replied to. I may have ranted a bit, but the point i wanted to make was the Board's response was unacceptable, which I think we both agree on. Power hungry men in position is a dangerous thing, it's a good thing Sammy has the polish for the apple. Cheers.

Posted by JG2704 on (May 5, 2012, 11:31 GMT)

@ali00 on (May 05 2012, 01:50 AM GMT) You'll probably find that WI are paying better or similar money to what Somerset were due to pay him and if Somerset were paying the same wages as his IPL team he would still not be paying for WI but sure he'll milk the support for those who believe he is purely putting his country first. As I put in other comms the Aussie test players - Clarke,Hilf , Watson and M Hussey are all playing IPL now having put in shifts for their country first. I don't diss CG for wanting to make money while he can but let's not pretend that that he's sacrificing better money for playing for his country otherwise he'd be doing like the Aussies have been doing

Posted by ali00 on (May 5, 2012, 1:50 GMT)

Good to see Gayle back in the West Indies Side and love to see him play for his country and he is doing a great job playing for his country rather than playing for money for other people.

Posted by vj3478 on (May 4, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

May be everything happens for a reason. Without Gayle playing, WI had to do lot of hard work atleast to give a fight and now they are in an OK shape. Gayle's addition will be a major plus to the improving team and the results are ought to improve and so the confidence of remaining players and WI cricket.

Posted by   on (May 4, 2012, 9:52 GMT)

Thoughts on my W.I. T20 team for the WC later this year in order: Gayle, Dw. Smith, Simmons, Da. Bravo, Dw. Bravo, Pollard, Ramdin, Sammy, Narine, Rampaul, Roach.

Posted by JG2704 on (May 4, 2012, 8:47 GMT)

re WI - Yes the teams listed look great on paper but the truth is that they are even listed behind Ireland in the T20 rankings (or were last time I looked) . Actually on paper Eng possibly look one of the weakest T20 sides and India look one of the strongest

Posted by   on (May 4, 2012, 1:35 GMT)

Sweetest News For Windies and Gayle Supporters!! Go Gayle Goooooooooooo

Posted by Rising_Edge1234 on (May 4, 2012, 0:23 GMT)

Welcome back Chris.

Now get the rest of our boys back, WICB.

Posted by Erebus26 on (May 3, 2012, 23:54 GMT)

This is brilliant news and I hope to see Gayle perform in the one day series in England. His return to international cricket can only benefit this young Windies team. He is experienced, is good with younger players and brings that quality to the top order that the Windies need. He would be great guiding a younger hand like Barath or Powell. I don't think people should doubt his commitment either even if at times he has given off the opposite impression. I hope too that the long running dispute between the WICB and Gayle can be put to bed. It's dragged along long enough to the detriment of the Windies team.

Posted by LabMan on (May 3, 2012, 19:50 GMT)

I personally feel that West Indians are under estimating Keiron Powell. His major problem to me is that he looks a little to complacent but I am ready to predict that give sufficient chance he along with Darren Bravo are going to be the most domineering batsmen not only in the Windies but the world.

Posted by WindiesFactChecker on (May 3, 2012, 19:50 GMT)

@Ron-Pierre Walcott - Let me clarify the matter, in case you did not understand. I said that they have "adopted" the policy, not introduced the policy. I am fully aware that the policy had been around for decades. However, they have not chosen to apply this policy much in the recent past as the more in demand West Indies players have generally gained more experience from playing cricket in foreign conditions and this was seen as a positive thing for such players to get more exposure. Also, as you have pointed out, in the case with Desmond Haynes, it has caused much controversy as experienced top quality West Indies players have been left out of of the International side in the past. The WICB have since re-affirmed or re-introduced this policy under the current Administration. For reference you can read the article regarding the WICB statement on selection which appeared on this very website on August 27, 2010. http://www.espncricinfo.com/westindies/content/story/474737.html

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 18:45 GMT)

Good news... the best T 20 batsman back in the side... now I want all the batsmen to pull their weight. Sammy we know what he can do and we have pollard , samuels, narine, and the rest of the crew. WE should do well and put our good team that we have on paper to the field..... Our ratings will definitely go up.

Posted by JG2704 on (May 3, 2012, 17:54 GMT)

@essky on (May 03 2012, 16:49 PM GMT) Sorry , but Gayle is an experienced man/cricketer. No one from Somerset was holding a gun to his head to sign the contract and no one from WI was doing the same to make him renege on his contract. I'm not saying the WICB have covered themselves in glory here either but the fact is that if Gayle should have stalled on the Somerset contract until negotiations had reached a dead end. Having said that , there may even have been a clause in the contract where Somerset have said that Gayle can free himself from the contract only to play for WI. If that is the case then fair play all round.

Posted by sweetiepaper on (May 3, 2012, 16:06 GMT)

Wow Can you imagine a WI Team like this for the world cup T20 2012 1.Gayle, 2.Lendl Simmons, 3.Dwayme Smith, 4.Samuels, 5. Dwayne Bravo, 6.Pollard, 7.Ramdin, 8.Sammy, 9.Russell, 10. Cooper, 11.Narine Unbeatable. Batting right down and all bowlers except the keeper. There is also the option of playing Simmons as keeper and bringing in another spinner in Bishoo or Badree (who is made for T20) pacer in Roach or Rampaul Subs Barath, Roach, Rampaul, Johnston Charles, Bishoo, Darren Bravo, Santoke, Badree, Shillinford (not sure if he's suited for T20)

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 15:57 GMT)

i think even without CG WI would be strong contenders, if not favs, to win T20 WC. I think the teams to beat are WI, ENG, and SA, with PAK as dark horses and of course you can never write off OZ, they are to cricket what Germany is to football; they can dodge, niggle, rake and scrape their way into the final. Very GLAD that CG is back in the WI fold tho...let's get the rest of WI healthy and fit and see what can happen from there

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 15:52 GMT)

The best opening pair WI had for a long time Chris Gayle & Shiv Chanderpaul and i woudl liek to see that agin ...

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 15:41 GMT)

Gayle making himself available is excellent news. I still think Sarwan and Dwayne Bravo are very much relevant to West Indies cricket and would make the team stronger. These guys have the experience and are more matured than they were earlier in their careers. In Sarwan's case it's just a matter of playing as much cricket as possible and getting his form back. The youngsters in the team need to be phased in to international cricket, not tossed in. My team (batting order): 1.Gayle, 2. Barath, 3. Darren Bravo, 4. Chanderpaul, 5. Sarwan, 6.Dwayne Bravo, 7.Baugh, 8.Sammy, 9.Roach, 10. Edwards/Rampaul, 11.Bishoo/Narine

Posted by WTEH on (May 3, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

WI officials better come out begging for Gayle to play. Gayle is the ONLY ODI batsmen that resembles the proud past Windies had.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 15:29 GMT)

Gayle is only a stop gap measure for the Windies re: our batting fortunes, and will be hard pressed to make an impression among the debris that is our recent batting performance AT HOME against the Aussies. I wish him and the team well, but do not expect much more without a batting coach operating in tandem with Gibson, and a mental strength coach for the entire team...

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 15:14 GMT)

Windies r favourites to win the WC t20 now. Congrats windies... :)

Posted by JG2704 on (May 3, 2012, 15:11 GMT)

@JustIPL on (May 03 2012, 12:27 PM GMT) Could also be that one of the reasons he has changed his mind is that WI offered him more money? I can imagine the conversation WICB "So Chris do you not think you should be playing for your country" CG - "Yes but I have now signed for Somerset and I'm a man of my word" - WICB - "What if we were to double what you are getting for playing for Somerset" - CG - "Where do I sign?"

Posted by JG2704 on (May 3, 2012, 15:06 GMT)

@Dashgar on (May 03 2012, 08:46 AM GMT) The point is that he should not have signed a contract. What would happen if Somerset (or any team) signed a player and then the player lost some form or a better player became available and the club said to the player , we've decided that although you've signed the contract we're going to end the contract and sign another player?

Posted by JG2704 on (May 3, 2012, 15:06 GMT)

@bestbuddy on (May 03 2012, 08:27 AM GMT) Sorry but that's wrong. I totally agree with Hipposrule and Somerset-Richard and other Somerset fans. If it was a case of Gayle stalling and missing out on other targets then you have a point. If Gayle has signed a contract then how exactly are Somerset thinking that they are taking a risk if they have a contract signed by a professional player? Somerset should be compensated but not by WICB -but by Gayle himself. He is the person who has reneged on his contract. The other point is that Somerset will have less choice as other targets are likely to have been snapped up by other clubs , made other moves.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 15:05 GMT)

I Always say World Cricket needs GAYLE ..he is such a high class Power Batsmen always pleasure to watch him and with him in the squad WI will be a tough team to beat in 20-20..u just name World's few Best 20-20 hitters..Gayle, Samuels,Dwayne Smith,Pollard,Andre Russel,Dwyane Bravo, Sammy,Narine,Roach, etc...WI and PAK n IND r teams to watch in upcoming W20 :) Thx Gayle for coming bak and treat us ur power game :)

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 14:44 GMT)

gayle storm makes his way out

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 14:36 GMT)

Good for Windies.Would love to see Gayle again in Windies colors.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 14:27 GMT)

I seriously hope WI win d 20 over WC dis year...cuz they can actually hav 8-9 such players who can bat,hit big ,ball,and r outstandin fielders..they probably may hav d best team dis WC...hoping they resolve there issues..nd win ..:)

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 14:18 GMT)

@gunnerr4life on (May 03 2012, 13:47 PM GMT) Now i can confidently say that West Indies is favorite to win the upcoming T20 World cup !!!

Posted by 6pack on (May 3, 2012, 14:17 GMT)

Gayle will have an impact in England,.... flat wickets, fast wickets.... these don't matter to certain batsmen... and Gayle is certainly one of them!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 14:16 GMT)

Well come back my Bro.can't explain how happy i'm i 2 see u back, u will make a big, big boots 2 the team, thanks man 4 thinking of us, good luck and all the best.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 14:14 GMT)

All the best Gayle...Gayle has not played for WI since the 2011 World Cup, but he has been in outstanding form in the IPL.

Posted by Donkster on (May 3, 2012, 14:14 GMT)

Glad he's not coming - We didn't really want him anyway!

Posted by mrhamilton on (May 3, 2012, 14:05 GMT)

Whoah whoah whoah ilyas hold on a second. Even if Gayle doesnt do well in the handful of T20s and one dayers (which is a big if) i dont think hes just going to be dropped like that, as apart from chanderpaul and d bravo who else is consistent in the top 6 in all forms of the game. Gayle will get an extended run and like anyone else he will be dropped than after an extended run. Only his resuming his feud with gibson will get him dropped before that time

Posted by noplay on (May 3, 2012, 14:00 GMT)

Best comment: possible Freudian slip by Keith Hall "I look forward to this day in ernest". Well let us see how Hilaire responds to Gayle's decision.

Posted by adilpakos on (May 3, 2012, 13:55 GMT)

CHRIS GAYLE WAS ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK WITH POLLARD 2 DRAVO SAMMY RUSSELL AND MANY MORE.... ;):)

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 13:53 GMT)

@antonyraj i have an opponent for you...pakistan is another storng contender for the world t20 if they pick this team:

1.imran nazir 2. hafeez. 3. ahmed shehzad. 4. umer akmal .5.kamran akmal. 6 . shahid afridi 7. abdul razzak. 8. azhar mehmood. 9.umer gul 10. saeed ajmal 11. abdur rehman 12. rana naveed 13. ahmed shehzad 14. anwar ali and 15. hammad azam

Posted by gunnerr4life on (May 3, 2012, 13:47 GMT)

Posted by ilyas on (May 3, 2012, 13:40 GMT)

Before we all start rejoicing lets bear a few facts in mind. Playing in the IPL on flat wickets, tiny grounds and some pretty average bowling is a long way from playing on seaming green wickets against a high quality England attack. Additionally if Gayle does play Tests it will take him time to get back his rhythm and technique for the longer game, so again people should not expect miracles. The big concern is if he struggles to score any runs at all and is dropped - what does he do? Does he fight to get his place back or does he swan off to the latest T20 competition?!! Hmmm I wonder....

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 13:34 GMT)

Wow Windies will be fav to win t20 world cup...good for WI

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 13:28 GMT)

Chris Gayle has proved that he can perform in all forms of the game, he has 2, count em 2 triple centuries... Welcome back Chris and best of luck. Chanders and the team can use your help. Windies overall has showed improvement and getting Gayle back will be huge for the team's performance and swagger... RALLY!!!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 13:27 GMT)

gayle strom gona hit ENGLAND big....ominous sings for them...n it also makes WESTINDIES favorates to win T20 WORLD CUP... bewarw everyone!!!!!!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 13:16 GMT)

I hope people see now that you can't pick a man if he is not available. I'm not saying the WICB is innocent or anything but Chris Gayle was behaving like, take it or leave it, you need me. Well they left it and i think Chris saw that they were not going to take it at all. Even if they don't let him play i will not feel sad, but they should. if you have you best players around just play unless they are acting like run the place they you boot the, no matter how good they are.

Posted by Prateekumar on (May 3, 2012, 13:06 GMT)

Glad to hear that Gayle is going to play for West Indies ... Have a nice time Gayle. Go and have a blast. All the best for the future.

Posted by drlove2344 on (May 3, 2012, 12:58 GMT)

GREAT!! I HAVE BEEN WAITIN TO HEAR THIS A LONG TIME NOW!!! WOW!!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 12:58 GMT)

@ WindiesFactChecker on (May 03 2012, 08:06 AM GMT) You certainly have not checked facts and do not know what you are talking about, since you are suggesting that Gibson introduced a play-first policy to be selected.

This policy was around since the 1980's and was the reason Desmond Haynes after scoring 4 centuries in 5 matches in the regional championship was dropped from WI team because he missed the first match despite averaging almost 100 runs. Haynes immediately resigned from Intl cricket.

Posted by AllanofSouza on (May 3, 2012, 12:52 GMT)

From Canada: Good to see DA MAN back!! Go Gayle, GO!!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

Finally, West Indian batting will be interesting and entertaining once again.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 12:47 GMT)

THE LEGEND IS BACK! WI MAY NOW WIN THE WORLD 20/20 COMPETITION!

Posted by Munsta101 on (May 3, 2012, 12:47 GMT)

It may have come too late for the England Test Matches, but New Zealand tour West Indies later in the year. Can we please have that series extended from 2 to 3 Tests please?

Posted by VillageBlacksmith on (May 3, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

The next 10 days forecast in UK is 3 -12C with rain followed by heavy rain... I remember quite how disinterested Chris was in 2009 in Durham, hands in pockets and 3 sweaters as captain saying he did not care if test cricket died... Let's see how long his new found enthusiasm lasts!! Could be the old groin injury to the rescue!

Posted by antonyraaj on (May 3, 2012, 12:39 GMT)

WI will definetly win the world cup T20 2012.Look at the below team. 1.Gayle,2.Lendl simmons,3.darren bravo,4.Samuels,5.Bravo,6.Pollard,7.Cooper,8.Sammy,9.Russell,10.Narine,11.Roach. sub will be barath,rampaul dwayne smith etccccc. 8 allrounders in a team will definetly win any team.....so the T20world cup winner is WI.............

Posted by hardess699 on (May 3, 2012, 12:31 GMT)

well dn Chris!!! cant wait

Posted by dane400 on (May 3, 2012, 12:30 GMT)

So now it's time for the WICB to respond. Let's see what happens.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 12:29 GMT)

Great he's back, but the Windies Test squad is crazy.

Can the selectors honestly say that the squad would not be improved by the presence of Gayle, Sarwan, Dwayne Bravo, Narine and probably Russell ? I even think I'd rather have Pollard or Nash in the team over Barath or Powell.

Surely it's ODIs or T20s you blood your kids in, not Tests?

In saying that, I'm happy that Sammy is still captain, he's a good influence on the team - he just needs to score a few more runs.

Posted by JustIPL on (May 3, 2012, 12:27 GMT)

Wonderful news. few stupids thought that he will always go for money and not play for WI but he has proved otherwise. I am sure WI will be better than India against England. He was lured to IPL so that Indian bench strength could get prominance but WI bench strength kept them defensive which transpired into whitewashes later on. Blackwash time is coming back.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 12:21 GMT)

Great! WI missed you Mr. Gayle and I hope you stay humble to yourself, your fellow teammates within Wendies and us your personal fans and your fans as part of West Indies team. The Team did very well against Australia and with your involvement and contribution, they can only triumpth in England

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (May 3, 2012, 12:18 GMT)

Congratulations, Mr gayle. You have done your side of the bargain, and now hopefull the international stage may be once again your theatre.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 12:13 GMT)

Best News I heard all year..Good to have you back Gayle...Time for Sarwan to make his way back as well...

Posted by Percy_Fender on (May 3, 2012, 12:07 GMT)

I find that no one seems to remember that Sammy made his debut in England and took 8 wickets in that match. He could be the surprise package if the conditions are rainy and cloudy. The West Indies even without all the fearsome names like Gayle and Pollard have enough firepower to take on the pace attack of Anderson,Broad and Bresnan or whoever, But I am happy that Gayle will be playing for them after all. He could be the supernatural difference. I wish Sunil Narine is included as well. He could be the new Sonny Ramdhin. I only wish that we have a very dry and rainless May in England this year.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 11:59 GMT)

Gayle force is back get your tickes early the fire work is back an the attack

Posted by vish57 on (May 3, 2012, 11:57 GMT)

West Indies definitely a team capable of winning T20 world cup from England, courtesy IPL and their natural talent. Gayle, Pollard, Bravo,Russal are all capable of big hitting. Don't pitch on India, a weak bowling team with strong team politics.

Posted by Haleos on (May 3, 2012, 11:56 GMT)

Great news for WI. Poms would be shaking the in the boots.

Posted by spbthedon on (May 3, 2012, 11:55 GMT)

Gayle is a man of outstanding performance...he doesnt deserve this position...My wish is he again join to WI team....All men should commit mistake but forgive him and again join him is the best way....The conclusion he came is apt for him...He shouldnt stroll around in this T20 career...WI team want him...Hereafter he would learn to speak among public...Thats what now he wants....

Posted by Dhushan on (May 3, 2012, 11:35 GMT)

That's more like it. You can't expect the WICB to select him if he's not fully available to play for West Indies. He can't say "Tell me if I'm in the team or not because if I ain't I wanna go play for Somerset." Which is pretty much what he had said to the WICB in the last email. Anyway, now that's committed himself & made himself available I hope that the board selects him. Good luck in your 2nd coming for the maroons big man. Cheers

Posted by stickywicketnick on (May 3, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

Haha, this is bad news for New Zealand with them touring in June/July. Great news for World Cricket though, players of his quality should never have been out of the game.

Posted by Sarangarajan on (May 3, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

Wonderful Chris Gayle- you have made the right choice. For persons like me who love good cricket, there is nothing better than seeing Gayle batting splendidly in all forms of Cricket for his nation- THE WINDIES . Chris is very talented and it is a pity that his prime form has not been utilised in the last one year on intentional national .Better late than Never. All the good luck Chris.

Posted by Sarangarajan on (May 3, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 11:12 GMT)

I'm So Proud of You Chris Gayle...Well done Star!!! now go on and show Your True Qualities .

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

A step in the right direction, ball in Hilaire's court. I can live with this. This was all I was asking. Welcome back & good luck.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

Good decision by gayle for playing,Best of luck

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 11:00 GMT)

This is intresting,so we will see what the selectors will do now,the ball is in their court.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

it is good for Westindies but very bad for RDB.. they gonna face lot of troubles in IPL with opening....

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 10:42 GMT)

The prospect of witnesseing

Gayle, Dwayne Smith, Pollard, Bravo, Russell and Sammy smash sixes all over the Oval on June 19 is one that i'm looking forward to greatly!

Knowing my luck it will rain though, lol.

Seriously though, i think the West Indies have a side capable of beating England in the 3 ODIs and T20is. The aforementioned players along with Narine, Shillingford, Roach, Samuels, Ramdin will make a formidable starting XI.

The tests though are a great worry and i think England word class bowling attack will beat us easily. Our bowling department should give them a decent matchup but i can see a typical match going as follows.

Eng 290, West indies 200, Eng 250 West Indies 190 all inside 4 days

Posted by AMUSMANI on (May 3, 2012, 10:26 GMT)

Good Decision by GAYLE. For playing country should be the first priority of every player. Good luck Gayle and Westindies

Posted by MattRyan on (May 3, 2012, 10:25 GMT)

I'll honour thi$$ contract, but not tha£ one. Really? Will be great to see him back in whites. However, whilst it will strengthen West Indies performances, what has transpired is not good NOT West Indian cricket as a whole.

Posted by SanatAttavar on (May 3, 2012, 10:24 GMT)

Gayle sadly is a misunderstood man like so many others who stand on the right side of the law, unfortunately the people in power in this world don't seem to understand / appreciate plain speaking men. Good on you Gayle! Way to go! Am sure WI Team needs you as much you need them.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 10:05 GMT)

Good news....WI will have a bright future !!!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 9:58 GMT)

Gayle's commitment to play for West Indies henceforth,having accepted the conditions stipulated by West Indies Cricket Board is indeed good news.It is not money that matters,playing for one's National Team is a great honour that every young sportsman strive to achieve.Gayle's inclusion will undoubtedly strengthen West Indies batting line up in the one day series due to follow and make England's task of winning the series much tougher.

Posted by Brdmara on (May 3, 2012, 9:52 GMT)

wow GAyle is back can see more fireworks from Gayle Gud LUck

Posted by Imthiyaz_Haniffa on (May 3, 2012, 9:42 GMT)

Great News....The right choice made by Gayle to uplift the emerging WI Cricket.

Posted by ultimatewarrior on (May 3, 2012, 9:35 GMT)

I hope when WI will include IPL Stars Gayle / Cooper / Bravo / Pollard / Sunil Naraine in their starting line up, they can even defeat England in England.....

Posted by creekeetman on (May 3, 2012, 9:35 GMT)

who cares about odi's? gayle should be playing tests, the windies have 0 openers of test standard apart from gayle.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 9:33 GMT)

Overjoyed that CG is back. The way is now clear for him to continue is journey toward greatness.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 9:29 GMT)

good for westindies, because he is a match winner player

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 9:22 GMT)

Very happy to listen this news. wish u all the best we r got a chace to look rocket shot in international matches

Posted by Noball_Specialist on (May 3, 2012, 9:21 GMT)

I wonder if he'll take the form he's been enjoying back with him.

Posted by SamAsh07 on (May 3, 2012, 9:15 GMT)

1. Gayle 2. Dwayne Bravo 3. Chanderpaul 4. Powell 5. Pollard 6. Darren Bravo 7. Sammy 8. Baugh 9. Narine 10. Rampaul 11. Roach

Make this happen :D

Posted by ncurd on (May 3, 2012, 9:12 GMT)

For International Cricket this is great news and I fully applaud it. As a Somerset fan and member I'm massively annoyed we got pulled into this Circus. We clearly signed him on the understanding he wasn't going to play for WI. Now we are a few months without a 2nd overseas player and the gap has to be plugged as Gayle would of have been playing. Who can we find on such short notice who's actually willing to play?

As mentioned it's been heavy in Somerset marketing that Gayle is playing T20 for us and this will hurt the county bad.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 8:59 GMT)

As an Englishman, I would love to see Gayle batting for the Windies this summer. Our bowlers want to test themselves against the best, and Gayle is right up there with the Tendulkars and Sehwags of the game

Posted by sharidas on (May 3, 2012, 8:55 GMT)

Extremely happy to hear the news. I wish Windies and Gayle all the best and look forward to seeing Sarwan also back in the team soon.

Posted by Dashgar on (May 3, 2012, 8:46 GMT)

Somerset fans might feel a bit hard done by but seriously, this guy should be playing International Cricket. You should be happy that a struggling nation has got one of its stars back, even if it means that your club and national side may suffer in the very short term. A strong West Indies means a strong cricket world.

Posted by liaqathussain on (May 3, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

lets all hope now wicb can see sense and make sure gayle is a permenent part of the westindies team. international cricket is better off with gayle. full respect for gayle simple as that,

from pakistan,

Posted by Simoc on (May 3, 2012, 8:38 GMT)

What will Mr Hot air come up with now? These WI administrators are full of themselves at the expense of the team.

Posted by JG2704 on (May 3, 2012, 8:30 GMT)

Can't blame the guy for wanting to play for his country which is what we all want. But as a Somerset fan I feel let down that Gayle even signed a contract only to pull out. I hope Somerset show compassion over this but the correct way to go would have been for Gayle not to sign the Somerset contract until he was 100% sure he would honour it otherwise what's the point in a contract? As for Somerset I'm wondering who will fill the void. I wouldn't mind seeing on of the Pak players such as Afridi , Ajmal or Hafeez . On hindsight (as in the county championship) maybe a bowler or a bowling all rounder might be the way to go. I quite like what Stephen Smith has been doing in IPL.

Posted by satanswish on (May 3, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

Go Gayle Go!! WI needs you.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (May 3, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

Has nobody been following the shocking weather we've been having here in UK? Any overseas batsman who had any sense would want to stay away from English county cricket at the moment... Seriously though, good move by Gayle. As US_Indian says, there are so many talented WI players going to waste due to lack of committment and motivation because of very poor handling.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

good move by gayle.....al d best 4 u in west indies cricket....

Posted by bestbuddy on (May 3, 2012, 8:27 GMT)

@HipposRule: Somerset approached Gayle knowing full well that the Windies were touring England at that time (and had known for 2 seasons) and that since Gayle had not at any time retired from international cricket there was always a chance he might not be available. Somerset took the risk and it hasn't paid off. Rather than whine about him not being available you should be celebrating the fact that this tour just got a tad more interesting

Posted by PFEL on (May 3, 2012, 8:25 GMT)

Yep Gayle good, WICB bad. so many clueless fans as to what was actually going on. Do people even know that Gayle demanded outrageous money from the WICB to play for West Indies? If he really cared he wouldn't have waited until IPL is over lol. Great Player, but so arrogant and selfish. To be perfectly honest West Indies cricket team has been doing better without him and I think he would just be a disruptive influence.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 8:19 GMT)

Good that Chris Gayle is making himself available for the Eng-WI ODIs because of "my commitment to West Indies cricket and to WI fans"

Posted by Midonoff on (May 3, 2012, 8:11 GMT)

good news for the wi, they will on doubt a stronger force. With Gale, barath, simmons, pollard, bravo there's certainly some fire power if all play in same team for the odi's.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 8:08 GMT)

Mymain concern as a Somerset fan is who and how we are going to be compensated. Gayle signed a legal contract which he has now broken. I obviously don't know the details of the contract but if it is a legla contract then there must be ramifications. You can not just refuse to honour contract and ply your trade elsewhere for more money (or similar). Can Somerset now approach a contracted player for, say Surrey, and convince them to not honour their contract and play for Somerset instead? Dangerous ground is being approached. I seriously hope Somerset do sue either Gayle or the West Indies Cricket Board. 1 we no onger have a overseas player, 2 it will be very hard to get a top noth replacement of simiar calibre and 3 there will be significnat marketing and merchandising ramifications for the club. i.e. Somerset would have been marketing twenty/20 corporate days and simlar under the Gayle brand as the selling point. I wait with anticipation...

Posted by WindiesFactChecker on (May 3, 2012, 8:06 GMT)

Well, let's wait and see if the WICB selectors actually select him to play in the Limited Overs Squad. Because under Otis Gibson they have adopted this ridiculous policy where you cannot be picked for a West Indies Team unless you have played in the most recent regional tournament. They used this policy to keep out both Pollard and Dwayne Bravo in recent West Indies 20/20 Teams, when they were away playing in Australia's Big Bash. So let's see if Hilaire and the WICB selectors fall back on this policy as an excuse to keep him out of the side for the limited overs leg of the tour. As somebody who has been following the antics of the WICB for 18 years, I would not be surprised.

Also, please remember that he had signed the contract with Somerset before there was any hope of him being selected again for West Indies. So at the time he had full intention of honoring his commitment to them, before he and the Board came to this possible resolution.

Posted by CricketAbhimani on (May 3, 2012, 7:45 GMT)

@US_Indian, your comments are spot on. My view is that Gayle should play for WI since he has a good record and is in good form. Of course, he'll be dropped if he does not perform. The point here is if somebody is good enough, he must play for his national team. Personal differences shouldn't play a role in any issue, let alone national issues.....

Posted by Somerset-Richard on (May 3, 2012, 7:44 GMT)

Well, from all of us at Somerset, "Cheers then Chris, thanks for nothing!" You had a contract with us!

Posted by eZoha on (May 3, 2012, 7:30 GMT)

Good gesture by Gayle. I just hope he when he plays for WI, he doesn't pretend that he is more important than the team.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 7:27 GMT)

good luck for England bowlers

Posted by vak1997 on (May 3, 2012, 7:24 GMT)

looking forward for gayle playing intl cricket.. but thanks to Chris Gayle for being available for the full season of IPL 2012.

Posted by THARUNJI on (May 3, 2012, 7:00 GMT)

Great News ,Welcome back Gayle

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 6:54 GMT)

well played Mr. Gayle! You have made us proud with your commitment. Let's see who's the real bully, now.

Posted by HipposRule on (May 3, 2012, 6:48 GMT)

Sorry - got to differ from most of the comments. As a Somerset member he's hardly given us much opportunity to get a replacement - not at all impressed, he should never have signed with us, equally the club's management should have made it binding. Hope we get some compensation from WICB.

Posted by rydberg on (May 3, 2012, 6:48 GMT)

i hope sarwan , suleiman bennand lendl simmons also make an international comeback.....................!!!!!!!!

Posted by anver777 on (May 3, 2012, 6:45 GMT)

Welcome back Gayle !!!!!!!!! good for WI cricket !!!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 6:45 GMT)

Gayle just needs one century to pass Lara and Haynes. May he do that against England. And for those who think he cannot plat Tests, look at his average in the last 4 years. Only Shiv comes close, not to mention 2 triple centuries, one against the mighty South Africans. Let de man play all versions of the game!!!!

Posted by US_Indian on (May 3, 2012, 6:37 GMT)

Just the right decision- let us hope the other party to this issue reacts with some sense in the interest of the WI cricket. Now Gayle has to show through his actions his commitment towards the game and the country and sincerely rally behind the team and act as a guide, mentor the younger ones, I see a bright future of WI cricket as they have some of the best players but just they need to be put together and motivated and monitored for better results. And the WI management should also not behave childlishly or with inflated ego and act with sanity in the interest of the game and WI as a whole. Just imagine these guys-Gayle, Bharat, Bravo brothers, Shiv, Sarwan, Powell. Pollard, Russel, Sunil, Shillingford, bishoo, fidel, roach, rampaul and many more who are in no way inferior to anyone in the business but just lack committment and motivation because of the poor handling of the issues if these are sorted out they can be as good as any team in the world even though cant match their old.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 6:34 GMT)

Can WICB effort "Mr. Gayle" service if he belongs to other country? Thanks Mr. Gayle.

Posted by Munkeymomo on (May 3, 2012, 6:32 GMT)

Sad I won't see him play for Somerset, but I'm glad to hear he is going to be back in his rightful place in international cricket, he's one of the best to watch.

Posted by bobagorof on (May 3, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

This is the first sign that Gayle is putting the WI as a priority that I can remember since the mess began. On recent form one would expect that he would be selected, as his competition (Barath, Brathwaite, Powell) have not been in good form of late. Has Gayle satisfied the other conditions the WICB have placed on his return (eg apologising for his comments)? Team selection is more than just picking the most talented players, as there are many factors that go into a winning team, and I agree with Dashgar that I hope he's able to get behind Sammy and the current team.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 6:27 GMT)

Well Probably this is the best news that I have herd since last one full year.Gayle We most Warmly welcome you back to the West Indies team Man you are the shinning star of this team and as long as cricket lives Your name will be written in golden letters. I say these words even before your retirement,I wish you all the best in cricket as well as everything in life Have a GREAT COMEBACK One more thing I would Like to say that The spectators that come to watch cricket and pay for it YOU are the one that really Entertains us and we feel the money we paid to see cricket is justly done and we go home happy and satisfied.So again good luck to you for your return to West Indies. Javed Sani,USA. Los-Angeles.

Posted by msankar on (May 3, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

wow.... its a great news for all cricket lovers!!!!!!

Posted by Naren on (May 3, 2012, 6:08 GMT)

England will be hoping that WICB continues with its mockery.

Posted by NAZMO-CRICKFANN on (May 3, 2012, 6:06 GMT)

thank you gayle for making things clear for us

Posted by riverlime on (May 3, 2012, 6:00 GMT)

HA! I told you all that Gayle is itching to let his bat talk again. The WICB still want to show that they rule though and I wouldnt be surprised if they come up with some other way to put their own spin on things.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 5:59 GMT)

Hope advent of CH Gale would bring more relief to WI team.. although they have performed well against aussies in recent ODI & Test series..

Posted by beyondanything on (May 3, 2012, 5:56 GMT)

HOPE HE WILL PLAY FOR WEST INDIES. BUT WILL WICB PAY FOR HIM?????

Posted by Dashgar on (May 3, 2012, 5:52 GMT)

This is awesome. I really hope he gets behind Sammy and the team now for a long time.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 5:49 GMT)

Well England will get some competition now and will make some money too....sorry for the T20 hosts but a man have to do what a man have to do...i wonder what is the next WICB move is!!!!

Posted by satish619chandar on (May 3, 2012, 5:48 GMT)

Well.. Sanity prevails.. This is what we need Gayle.. Come a bit down and expect others to come down..

Posted by WindiesWillow on (May 3, 2012, 5:45 GMT)

Excellent. I'm eagerly awaiting Mr. Hilaire's reply. Seems like we hear from him more than anyone else on the WICB. The only people that this is bad news for are the English ODI bowlers. I'm sure the ECB selectors will have to do some serious thinking now.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 5:44 GMT)

He wants to play T20 world cup in Sri Lanka to strength and show his T20 value for IPL people and other T20 team owners.If he want to play for his country why playing for WI after finishing IPL.But as a cricket lover I love to see Gayle in international cricket.Will hope he will play all forms of cricket for WI in near feature.

Posted by muski on (May 3, 2012, 5:43 GMT)

Good news for WI Cricket. With about 5 Top performers in IPL and with couple of other blokes currently doing duty for WI, there is no reason why Windies cant do well in the T20 world cup. It will certainly be the boost that is reqiured to revive WI Cricket.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 5:41 GMT)

very very happy.... fan from India!!

Posted by getsetgopk on (May 3, 2012, 5:25 GMT)

Why wasn't all this done before the Aus tour of WI? Gayle could have joined the IPL now just like the other Aus players, Gayle has always been a selfish man, his inclusion in WI team now would create more problems than solve anything, he's arrogant and not a team player. But full marks to WICB by showing this man his rightful place.

Posted by Rezaul on (May 3, 2012, 5:25 GMT)

Great news! Cant wait to see Gayle play for West Indies again.

Posted by sony_sr on (May 3, 2012, 5:24 GMT)

Excellent! I won't be surprised if WI pulls out some surprises in England. Watch out for sunil narine.

Posted by PatelJaiminH on (May 3, 2012, 5:16 GMT)

Alert 1 to England Cricketing Area

Chris "Tornado" Gayle is coming..

Posted by khaledys2 on (May 3, 2012, 5:07 GMT)

gayle was never arrogant. its just fault aquisation

Posted by shanepe2003 on (May 3, 2012, 5:06 GMT)

Should have ask a deal from L. Malinga another guy who dosent care abt country…..lol

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 4:58 GMT)

Excellent and Exciting News.....The ball is in the WICB court....Go Windies....Look Out Pommies for you shall be pummelled by the Gayle Force One.....assuming he is picked..

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 4:57 GMT)

he is a tremendous hitter and good news for westindian supporters

Posted by maddy20 on (May 3, 2012, 4:51 GMT)

To all those West Indies fans who though he was arrogant well you see the real character of the man now. His no.1 priority had always been WI. I for one would not be surprised if he skips part of next year's IPL coz he has to fulfill his national duties.

Posted by ricky05 on (May 3, 2012, 4:43 GMT)

very good news for the windies. welcome back gayleee

Posted by Carvert on (May 3, 2012, 4:33 GMT)

Well the ball is in WICB's court, let's see how they respond. I know many will engage in conjecture and try to impose their interpretation, but the facts speak for themselves, Chris has put his hands up and says I am willing to be a part of the set up...your move.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 4:31 GMT)

I don't know if he should take the captaincy back, but damn they need Gayle. Brathwaite is still to young and has a lot of work to do, Barath is up-and-down. What happened to Lendl Simmons?

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 4:30 GMT)

Good news Chris, the best in one year. I looked forward to this day in ernest and I wish you well in your future cricketing years. I want to see WI win again and I do believe with Chris Gayle in our team, we can continue the upward trend, certainly we can do no worse than we've done in the past 10 years. It's in-comprehensible why a player in the calibre of Gayle, who is so highly respected and regarded throughout the cricketing world and who can no doubt make any team in International cricket should be languishing outside the perimeters of his own Country's cricket team.

Posted by Sinhaya on (May 3, 2012, 4:24 GMT)

Wellcome back to international cricket and glad to see the stand off over at last! Hope to see you clobber the English bowlers to all corners of the ground. Good luck Gayle and so relieved indeed!

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 4:22 GMT)

Out of those in the IPL, Gayle, Pollard, Bravo, Narine, Russel in ODIs would be great for WI. Samuels is overrated and should get a boot with both PWI and WI.

Posted by   on (May 3, 2012, 4:20 GMT)

Can't wait to see Gaylestorm once again!!! Cheers!!! A good sign for T20 World Cup. Go Windies!!! Fans from Nepal are with you!!

Posted by Lees_Legends on (May 3, 2012, 4:14 GMT)

Finally some good news out of the Windies

Country Fixtures Country Results
4th ODI: WI Women v NZ Women at Basseterre
Sep 19, 2014 (09:30 local | 13:30 GMT | 09:30 EDT | 08:30 CDT | 06:30 PDT)
5th Match, Group B: Tridents v Kings XI at Mohali
Sep 20, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
1st T20I: WI Women v NZ Women at Kingstown
Sep 23, 2014 (14:00 local | 18:00 GMT | 14:00 EDT | 13:00 CDT | 11:00 PDT)
2nd T20I: WI Women v NZ Women at Kingstown
Sep 25, 2014 (14:00 local | 18:00 GMT | 14:00 EDT | 13:00 CDT | 11:00 PDT)
12th Match, Group B: Tridents v Cape Cobras at Mohali
Sep 26, 2014 (16:00 local | 10:30 GMT | 06:30 EDT | 05:30 CDT | 03:30 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »