Carib Beer Series, 3rd round, 2nd day January 19, 2008

Barbados strike back after collapse

Cricinfo staff

Combined Campuses and Colleges 202 and 138 for 7 (Currency 35, Best 4-39) lead Barbados 139 (Bennett 6-59) by 201 runs
A six-wicket haul by seamer Jason Bennett helped bundle out Barbados for 139 and gain a first-innings lead of 63 on the second day at the Three Ws Oval. Barbados fought back to reduce the opposition to 138 for 7 in the second innings, leaving CCC with an overall lead of 201. Barbados never recovered sufficiently from their overnight wobble at 15 for 4, as Bennett returned to claim the wickets of Ryan Hinds and Dwayne Smith for 35 each. The last-wicket pair of Sulieman Benn and Corey Collymore added 30 in an hour to frustrate the bowlers before Shirley Clarke wrapped up the innings. In reply, CCC got off to a brisk start as their openers Romel Currency and Simon Jackson added 60 in just over 10 overs. Tino Best then struck back with three quick wickets for the addition of just one run and CCC were in further trouble as Benn later took three middle-order wickets to leave the match evenly poised. Best ended the day with figures of 4 for 39.

Guyana 171 and 59 for 1 trail Jamaica 240 (Nash 91*, Garraway 4-45, Permaul 4-75) (Lawson 5-41) by ten runs
Half-centuries by Wavell Hinds and Brendan Nash, who remained unbeaten on 91, helped Jamaica gain a valuable first-innings lead of 69 against Guyana at Sabina Park. Nash faced 254 balls in his dogged knock, which included six fours and a six, before Jamaica were bowled out for 240 at tea. Hinds made 53 while Nikita Miller chipped in with 34, during which he added 81 for the seventh wicket with Nash to frustrate Guyana. Trevon Garraway and Veerasammy Permaul were the leading wicket-takers for Guyana, picking up four each. In reply, Guyana lost Gajanand Singh early for 2, but Assad Fudadin and Leon Johnson and remained unbeaten to end the day at 59 for 1.

Trinidad and Tobago 178 for 4 (Emrit 56*, Mohammad 43*) v Leeward Islands
The second day's play in St Maarten was hampered by poor weather where only six overs were possible. Rain forced the players off the field 23 minutes into the morning session, during which T&T added 12 to their overnight score with captain Rayad Emrit going on to score a half-century. Rain intervened again early in the afternoon and the umpires decided to abandon play for the day after a 4 pm inspection.