1782
1795
19:40, Thu Oct 28, 2021 (UTC +0100)
 

Profile

Windmill Down was for 13 years the home of Hambledon, the club moving there in 1782 after Richard Nyren took over running the nearby George pub. On June 18, 1782, the Hampshire Chronicle referred to the ground as "a field called the New Broad Halfpenny adjoining to the Town of Hambledon". It was more accessible and less bleak that Broadhalfpenny Down, and members erected a brick-built pavilion and brought turf from their old home. But as the Hambledon club declined major matches moved elsewhere. The last recorded game took place there in August 1824.
Martin Williamson

Latest Articles