Parker's Piece was the original home of Cambridge Town but is best remembered as being the nursery for the university. Cricket may have been played on the ground as early as the eighteenth century, and when the university formed a regular side in 1820, Parker's Piece was its home. The purchase of Fenner's in 1848 resulted in it becoming the main venue, but the Town continued to play there, as did the university occasionally. Although the last first-class game was 1864, the ground continued to be heavily used by the university, and young Jack Hobbs learned his cricket there as his father was the groundsman for a number of years. In 2005 the local council brought an end to cricket on the land, citing an inability to justify the annual £3000 cost of the upkeep as the reason.
Parker's Piece is approximately 1o minutes walk from the city centre and the railway station.