- BATSMENRM4s6sretired hurt165285180b Hill1-00c Hill b Shaw12--0run out1-00b Southerton15--0c Ulyett b Southerton5--0c Greenwood b Lillywhite0-00b Southerton17--0not out18--0c Southerton b Shaw3-00b Shaw0-00Extras8 (b 4, lb 2, w 2)TOTAL245 all out (169.3 Overs, RR: 2.16 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-2 (Nat Thomson), 2-40 (Tom Horan), 3-41 (Dave Gregory), 4-118 (Bransby Cooper), 5-142 (Billy Midwinter), 6-143 (Ned Gregory), 7-197 (Jack Blackham), 7-240* (Charles Bannerman, retired not out ), 8-243 (Tom Kendall), 9-245 (John Hodges)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Garrett632411912026.14c Cooper b Hodges718181038.88c †Blackham b Midwinter3662592058.06lbw b Thomson1021142047.61c EJ Gregory b Midwinter12622003.84c †Blackham b Midwinter931241029.03b Midwinter1028220035.71b Midwinter832250025.00not out3547413074.46c & b Kendall1015141066.66c Cooper b Garrett621210028.57Extras1 (lb 1)TOTAL196 all out (136.1 Overs, RR: 2.15 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-23 (John Selby), 2-79 (Harry Charlwood), 3-98 (George Ulyett), 4-109 (Andrew Greenwood), 5-121 (Tom Armitage), 6-135 (Alfred Shaw), 7-145 (Harry Jupp), 8-145 (Tom Emmett), 9-168 (James Lillywhite (jnr)), 10-196 (James Southerton)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Ulyett41081040.00c Emmett b Shaw726260026.92c †Selby b Hill2032282062.50c Emmett b Shaw087000.00b Shaw316140018.75c Southerton b Ulyett1773681023.28c Emmett b Ulyett1131261035.48lbw b Shaw620160030.00b Shaw315140020.00not out1722223077.27b Lillywhite818181044.44Extras8 (b 5, lb 3)TOTAL104 all out (68 Overs, RR: 2.29 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-7 (Charles Bannerman), 2-27 (Nat Thomson), 3-31 (Tom Garrett), 4-31 (Tom Horan), 5-35 (Bransby Cooper), 6-58 (Ned Gregory), 7-71 (Jack Blackham), 8-75 (Billy Midwinter), 9-75 (Dave Gregory), 10-104 (John Hodges)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Thomson b Kendall021000.00c Midwinter b Kendall55500100.00lbw b Midwinter417180023.52b Kendall1317161076.47c Horan b Hodges3881814046.91b Kendall2462471038.70st †Blackham b Kendall2950022.22c †Blackham b Kendall33231009.37b Kendall927280033.33b Hodges4640066.66not out17120014.28Extras5 (b 4, lb 1)TOTAL108 all out (66.1 Overs, RR: 2.44 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-0 (Allen Hill), 2-7 (Andrew Greenwood), 3-20 (Harry Jupp), 4-22 (Harry Charlwood), 5-62 (George Ulyett), 6-68 (Alfred Shaw), 7-92 (John Selby), 8-93 (Tom Armitage), 9-100 (James Lillywhite (jnr)), 10-108 (Tom Emmett)
Balls per over
- Thu, 15 Mar - day 1 - Australia 166/6 (C Bannerman 126*, JM Blackham 3*)
- Fri, 16 Mar - day 2 - England 109/4 (H Jupp 54*)
- Sat, 17 Mar - day 3 - Australia 83/9 (TK Kendall 5*, JR Hodges 3*)
- Sun, 18 Mar - rest day
- Mon, 19 Mar - day 4 - England 108 (66.1 ov) - end of match
- Alfred Shaw bowled the first Test delivery to Charles Bannerman, who went on to become the first Test centurion. Hill had both the first Test wicket and the first catch. Midwinter picked up the first 5 wicket haul, and Blackham had the first stumping.
- W.Newing fielded for Bannerman.
- Southerton is still the oldest Test debutant at 49 years 119 days.
- Bannerman scored 69.6% of his side's runs from the bat - still a record in Test matches - his 165 took about 290 minutes and included 18 fours.
- C Bannerman retired hurt at 240/7 (split the index finger on his right hand by a ball from Ulyett)
- Attendances on the four 4 days were approximately 4500, 4000 10000, 2000
A new biography of Charles Bannerman seeks to explore why his cricketing peak was brief and lonely
If Tom Horan rings a bell at all today, it is as a name in the very first Test in 1877, and on the Australians' inaugural tour of England a year later
A look back to the first game in cricket's premier format