Victoria v Tasmania, ING Cup, Melbourne February 14, 2004

Victorian hopes ruined by Tasmania

Wisden Cricinfo staff

Tasmania 7 for 219 (Watson 63, Bailey 52*) beat Victoria 218 (Berry 64, Butterworth 3-33, Kremerskothen 3-35) by three wickets

Shane Watson had a ball against Victoria

Tasmania recorded their first win of the ING Cup season, effectively killing off any hopes that Victoria may have had of winning the trophy. In sweltering heat at the MCG, Tasmania emerged victorious by three wickets chasing a Victorian total of 218 all out. Shane Watson was the hero, belting 63 after claiming 2 for 15 with the ball.

Tasmania slumped to 4 for 90, but Watson and George Bailey (52*) gutsed it out to ensure an upset. Shane Warne was a peripheral figure in his comeback game, finishing with 1 for 48, and scoring only 7.

Victoria remain on 23 points, with Queensland (28) and Western Australia (29) now favourites to contest the final on February 29 . Victoria will need an overwhelming victory against Western Australia next weekend to have any chance.

Victoria won the toss, but were quickly in trouble, losing 3 for 31 in seven overs. It didn't get any better, and when David Hussey - in superb form this season - was out for 25, they slumped to 6 for 83. It was left to Darren Berry, the wicketkeeper-captain, to get his team back on track. Berry made 64, and added 96 with Andrew McDonald.

No dream return for Warne

Warne lasted only 12 balls before popping a return catch to Scott Kremerskothen, who finished with impressive figures of 3 for 35. Luke Butterworth was the other bowling star, with 3 for 33.

With the temperature soaring past 40 degrees, Tasmania were given a decent start by Michael Di Venuto (45). But when Warne trapped Daniel Marsh leg before for 5, Tasmania were in trouble. But Watson and Bailey saw off Warne, and edged Tasmania close to victory with a 94-run partnership.

Watson was superbly caught by Matthew Elliott off the bowling of Michael Lewis, but despite some more wobbles, Tasmania got home with three overs to spare. Both Lewis and Cameron White finished with two wickets apiece, but Victoria were left to rue an indifferent batting display.