THE CORDON HOME

BLOGS ARCHIVES
SELECT BLOG
November 6, 2013

Spare a thought for Vinay Kumar

Subash Jayaraman
Vinay Kumar might have felt the Chinnaswamy Stadium was the loneliest place on earth  © BCCI

Cricket, like any other sport, provides the stage for its players to put on performances that push the boundaries of what was thought to be possible. But the very best can sometimes go hand in hand with the very worst. When South Africa successfully chased 434 runs against Australia in 2006, that remarkable chase expanded possibilities, while also providing us a piece of trivia in Mick Lewis, who had the worst returns in the history of ODIs.

Poor Vinay Kumar almost pulled a Mick Lewis last week. He is now the new owner of a shiny fifth spot in the all-time list of ODI bowling ineptitude. If it is any consolation to him, he made only the greatest spinner the game has known vacate the spot for him.

I made a few wisecracks at his expense as his nightmare was unfolding (9-0-102-1), but it must have been so hard on him. Sure, he is not express fast, he was bowling to batsmen who were swinging at almost everything, and any error in length or line was summarily punished. The size of the Chinnaswamy Stadium didn't help either. Bowlers much more experienced than him, much faster than he ever could be, also feature on the list of expensive analyses, some of them multiple times, notably Lasith Malinga, Dale Steyn, James Anderson and Brett Lee.

I am aware of the all-encompassing darkness that he must have been shrouded in. It is a slippery slope. Once the confidence goes, it is extremely hard to get any semblance of control back. The top of the bowling mark feels like the loneliest place on the face of the earth, and you seem to have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

More than anything, it is the feeling of letting your mates down that eats away at you. You don't really want to bowl another delivery, and you just want the day to be over as soon as possible.

I am aware of the all-encompassing darkness that Vinay Kumar must have been shrouded in. It is a slippery slope. Once the confidence goes, it is extremely hard to get any semblance of control back

I used to open the bowling for my university club team in the US, and we travelled every weekend in the summer to cricket grounds in Maryland and Virginia to play weekend matches. My worst bowling performance came against a team called "Windies", primarily composed of gentlemen who were expats from Jamaica. Their opening batsman, Windell Thomas, a tall, bespectacled skinny wicketkeeper, ripped me apart as he opened the batting in chase of a huge score.

We were aware of Windell's excellence (he had scored a century against us in the previous season too) but the nonchalant ferocity with which he, in the company of their No. 3, Garry Philbert, a dreadlocked Jamaican, carried out the chase completely knocked me off my game. I went for 70 in seven overs without taking a wicket. In terms of the international game, that kind of economy rate would place me right between the legend that is Ajit Agarkar and Nuwan Zoysa.

It was a regular season league game on the outskirts of Washington DC during the summer of 2005. After a slow start, my university team, which featured a former India U-15 player, Maninder Singh Bola, began to build momentum towards a big total. These are 40-over games, and generally 160 is a pretty good score. Since this match was in a smaller ground - one of the side boundaries couldn't have been more than 60 yards away - our estimation was that 200 would put us in a good place to beat the team that had creamed us the previous season. When Maninder finished unbeaten on 120-odd in a total of about 250, we felt we had the game in the bag. Oops!

When I came on to bowl, everything I tried did not work. I tried to bowl full, and was hit over the top to the straight boundary. I tried to bowl short and was pulled to the short square boundaries. I tried a few offcutters, which only sat up for Windell and Garry to place where they pleased. I took myself out of the attack to come back later, only for the beat-down to continue where it had left off.

I was defeated at the end of my miserable seven overs (one short of the maximum allowed per bowler), with the guilt of letting my team-mates down, especially after the wonderful century by Maninder, eroding me on the insides. I tried to put on a shrug-the-shoulders fa├žade, as if to say, "It wasn't my day, and it happens." Luckily for me, I got an opportunity later in the season when I had the ball in my hand to take the final wicket in the defence of a small total, and I came through for my team.

Mick Lewis played his last game for Australia when he gave away those 113 runs in that 434-game. I sincerely hope that this isn't the last time Vinay Kumar dons the India colours. After all, he was the leading wicket-taker for India in the 2011-12 Commonwealth Bank tri-series, and the fact that the World Cup, in 14 months, is in Australia and New Zealand, could mean he might just be kept around the team. He may not be the most celebrated bowler around but this would be a horrible way to go out for any international cricketer.

RELATED LINKS

RSS Feeds: Subash Jayaraman

Keywords: Club/league cricket

Posted by ThatsJustCricket on (November 7, 2013, 16:49 GMT)

Any pace bowler needs a semblance of accuracy to succeed. More so if you are bowling at a friendly pace as Vinay. With his pace coupled with his lack of control and a complete absence of cricketing common sense, it's a wonder that he managed to play so many ODIs for India. It's about time we looked beyond him.

Posted by pbelamge on (November 7, 2013, 14:13 GMT)

M Muralitharan, SL Malinga are also in the list of 'Most runs conceded in an innings' table. Still they are the best bowlers in the world

My point is just to highlight that we never know who becomes what during there tenure. One should be optimistic! and should always look for improvement

Few months ago, no one liked Rohit Sharma in the XI, but, look now, where it is turning

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 13:43 GMT)

Vinay Kumar is not of International calibre. PERIOD !

Posted by AnyoneButVettel on (November 7, 2013, 13:32 GMT)

If you'd opened your article with the 2 words that you closed it with, I wouldn't have bothered to skim it through. Considering Vinay Kumar as an "international cricketer" is what Indian fans have to put up with .. as close to horrible as it gets. RCB does deserve him though.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 13:06 GMT)

Both Vinay and Ishant have been given multiple chances to cement their place in the Indian bowling lineup but every time they have flattered to deceive. I agree with the sentiment of this article and did not like the way people went overboard with their criticism of these two guys but the fact remains that right now, maybe, sitting out of the team is the best thing that could happen to them. Let us remain optimistic, maybe they will return stronger. #FingersCrossed

Posted by CricketChat on (November 7, 2013, 13:04 GMT)

I doubt any amount of fan support will save Vinay's career now. He has been playing on without solid performances for a while now. Hard to see any captain or selector backing him now compounded by the fact there are many young pace bowlers waiting in the wings. That's why it is hard for Vinay and Praveen Kumar (leading Ind ODI attack not long ago) to come back now.

Posted by siddhartha87 on (November 7, 2013, 1:32 GMT)

Vinay Kumar bowls his cute bouncers at 125 Kmph.Likes Maxwell and Watson did not even considered him a regular bowler.Vinay can get wickets only when batsman slogs him.Period.

Posted by   on (November 7, 2013, 1:24 GMT)

@Leggie, you are so wrong to compare a Vinay against a legend Javagal Srinath. No Comparisons just because they both come from the same state, Karnataka. Javagal Srinath has on most occasions been a terrific performer for India and was one of the best fast bowling opening pair India ever had!!

Posted by   on (November 6, 2013, 21:40 GMT)

Mind you that Vinay Kumar has come through his rungs of Ranji and Domestic circuit to be where is currently. Sadly, if that is all India has got, then we have to accept and look at ways to make things better for our fast bowlers. Dhoni aptly said that while India chased down three 350+ scores, nobody said any bad about Australian bowlers!!! @Leggie: Srinath was the best ever fast bowler that India produced. Even today India does not have a bowler of the skills, humility and the caliber of J. Srinath. The great Ricky Ponting, though had better of him in World Cup finals, was always tormented by Srinath. India had all-time best bowling pair of J.Srinath and V.Prasad!!

Posted by android_user on (November 6, 2013, 15:57 GMT)

vinay and ishant must realize that it isn't about raw pace but erratic line and length. they must take a cue from bhuvaneshwar kumar, who may be much less gifted, but is a prized asset for his captain and team simply because of his ability to stick t9 the plan and keep things simple. you don't need to have akramesque swing or Thomson's pace or Ambrose's bounce to survive. one can as well play within their limitations like the meerut boys, praveen and bhuvaneshwar, to be sufficiently effective in ODIs.

Posted by its.rachit on (November 6, 2013, 15:57 GMT)

the over that he bowled to shane watson (3 sixes) were hit was probably the perfect example of how pathetic he is as a bowler ... same bowl was bowled half way down the pitch and 3 sixes were hit ... if this is the best Indian can produce (me included, sorry state of affairs), then we do not have a chance in the WC ....

Posted by   on (November 6, 2013, 12:10 GMT)

Ishant & Vinay unfortunately have repeatedly been unreliable - and almost never brilliant. If a bowler repeatedly can't pitch the ball where they intend to, they don't deserve a spot on a national side - because you are letting the side down.

This is unfortunately not a sport that forgives nice guys - you either make it at the highest levels or you don't.

The selectors need to look elsewhere - and find people who can bowl consistently to an agreed upon plan. If batsmen outsmart them, so be it - but what you don't want is to have bowlers who let down the side by not executing to a team plan.

Posted by Sagarneel on (November 6, 2013, 12:01 GMT)

There's only one answer to this lengthy write-up - look at the stats of Bhubaneshwar Kumar in the same game, who too, incidentally is not fast and was bowling in the same ground against the same opposition. I think with the likes of Md. Shami emerging, and a fully fit Zaheer Khan (if he continues to play in ODIs), the curtains are drawn for him and Ishant.

Posted by Fan1969 on (November 6, 2013, 11:15 GMT)

It is nice of Subhash Jayaraman to stand up for Vinay. However, it is not the first time Vinay/Ishant have leaked runs.

I am an Indian fan and find that they seem to repeat past mistakes too often. Half trackers at moderate pace or full tosses on the leg side are doled out often. If you bowl two boundary deliveries an over and 2-3 decent deliveries you still go for more than 8-9 runs an over.

Can't they just bowl line and length and pack the field on one side they choose to bowl. After so many games also if Vinay/Ishant cannot bowl what they desire means they lack skill/practice.

How can a ball aimed to be a yorker outside off turn to waist high full toss on leg side? and not once but repeatedly missing line and length.

The Aussie bowlers were hit for as many runs in this series. However the aussie bowlers bowled to the field it was the excellent shots by Kohli, Dhawan, Rohit and Dhoni that made them leak runs.

Bowl well, if the batsman still hits then it is OK.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Subash Jayaraman
Subash's introduction to cricket began with enduring sledging from his brothers during their many backyard cricket sessions. His fascination with the game took hold in 1983, but mostly it was the cricket commentary over All India Radio, about the water-tight front-foot defence of Gavaskar that did it. @thecricketcouch

All articles by this writer