Butt, Amir file appeals against bans
Butt and Amir, along with Mohammad Asif, were found guilty of orchestrating three pre-planned, deliberate no-balls during the Lord's Test against England last August. The trio, who were provisionally suspended by the ICC in September, were given sanctions ranging from 5 to 10 years by an independent tribunal headed by Michael Beloff QC after a full hearing in Doha, Qatar in early January, with the verdicts being handed down on February 5.
"Today my legal team served a statement of appeal upon The Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) to appeal against the Tribunal's findings in relation to the Lords Test and the sanctions imposed at the recent Hearing in Doha. Full Grounds for the Appeal will be lodged in due course," a statement from Butt's lawyer, Yasin Patel, said.
As captain at the time, Butt received the stiffest sentence, though the ban comes with a suspended sentence of five years. On the day the verdict was announced, Patel had indicated that the tribunal's recommendation to the ICC to revisit sanctions in their code was encouraging. "The tribunal's hands were tied by the ICC's code to a five-year minimum," he said. "Mr Butt is encouraged that the tribunal advised the ICC to change the code or revise the minimum term."
Butt also confirmed that he would appear at a London court on March 17th for a hearing into the criminal charges he faces - along with Asif and Amir - into the same incident.
Amir was given a straight five-year ban with no suspended sentence and had indicated his intention to appeal on the day the judgments came. "We have filed an appeal against the ban [on Friday]," Shahid Karim, Amir's lawyer, said. "The process is now set into motion. We have challenged the judgment on various grounds."
Asif has so far not said whether he will file an appeal.
Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of ESPNcricinfo