September 8, 2001

Leicestershire dominate against Glamorgan

Richard Thomas of the South Wales Evening Post

Leicestershire were on course for victory after forcing Glamorgan to follow-on on the second day of their CricInfo Championship Division One match at Grace Road.

Replying to Leicestershire's first innings of 372 all out Glamorgan were tamely dismissed for just 146, leaving the visitors needing 227 second time around to make Vince Wells' side bat again.

Only skipper Steve James, who carried his bat for 61, presented any real first innings resistance as Glamorgan lost their last eight wickets for 108 to all but confirm relegation to Division Two.

Following-on James was one of two wickets to fall before the close, along with Matthew Maynard who registered a pair - dismissed twice in the day to James Ormond. By the end of day two Glamorgan had reached 126-2 still 100 adrift with Jimmy Maher going well on 78.

James Ormond did the main damage in the first innings bagging four Glamorgan wickets in what could be his last championship match for Leicestershire.

The new England cap claimed the wickets of Maher and Maynard in the space of four balls to instigate the Glamorgan collapse.

Wells chipped in to claim the wickets of Adrian Dale and Robert Croft - his fifth duck on the trot - with consecutive balls after Mike Powell had surrendered tamely to Devon Malcolm.

Ormond struck twice more at the start of his second spell to dismiss Mark Wallace and Andrew Davies.

Neil Burns capped a good couple of day following his 111 by taking six catches in the innings to equal a Leicestershire record.

The wicketkeeper resumed today on 66 with his county 274-7 but went on to score a 112-ball century with 18 fours.

Leicestershire were eventually bowled out for 372 having added 98 in 75 minutes which was an impressive score considering they were 26-3 and then 93-5 either side of lunch yesterday.

It took Leicestershire until just the sixth over of the morning to reach 300 and their third batting point.

Ormond was the first wicket to fall bowled by Darren Thomas from a delivery that kept low and Burn's innings - five minutes short of three hours - came to an end when he had his stumps rearranged by Andrew Davies's first ball.

Devon Malcolm spanked Thomas for a six before Carl Crowe was caught at silly mid-off.