The Parc-y-Dwrlyn ground is the home of the Pentyrch and Old Monktonians C.C., a club side who play in the Glamorgan and Gwent Conference. The club was created in the 1880's when the former pupils of Monkton House School, Cardiff's oldest boy's grammar school, created a cricket and rugby club, in order to maintain friendships and sporting activity.
The rugby club evolved into Glamorgan Wanderers R.F.C. in 1913, whilst the cricket club continued as the "Old Monks", and played at various grounds in the suburbs of Cardiff. In 1983 the club moved to a permanent home in the village of Pentyrch, and shared their recreation ground, known as Parc-y-Dwrlyn, wwhich is also the home of Pentyrch R.F.C.
A close relationship has evolved between the "Old Monks" and the villagers, and in 1990 the club's name was amended to include that of the village. After this amalgamation, a number of significant improvements were made to the Parc-y-Dwrlyn ground, including extensions to the pavilion in 1991 and the construction of a modern scorebox in 1992.
The visit of Glamorgan to Pentyrch in 1993 followed an agreement between the county club and Taff-Ely Borough Council to stage an annual match within the authority's boundaries. Glamorgan had previously visited Pontypridd, but owing to parking difficulties at Ynysangharad Park, the 1993 fixture was allocated to Pentyrch instead, despite the fact that the club had not even played a second eleven match at the ground! Significant improvements have been subsequently made to the Pontypridd ground, and the 1993 fixture with Northants remains Glamorgan's only visit to Parc-y-Dwrlyn.