Brian McMillan quietly calls it quits (15 November 1998)
15 November 1998
Brian McMillan quietly calls it quits
Colin Bryden, Sunday Times
Brian McMillan, for years one of South Africa's most competitive cricketers, has stepped silently out of international cricket.
Although he has not officially announced his retirement, McMillan, 34, has informed officials of his decision. He will continue to play for Western Province. He did not attend last week's camp for potential Test batsmen and Peter Pollock, convener of selectors, said McMillan would not be considered for the Test side "because I believe he has retired".
Contacted in Bloemfontein where is playing for Western Province against Free State, McMillan asked: "Who told you that?" and said he was busy on another call. He suggested phoning back in half an hour but was then not available. He did not respond to a message.
Ali Bacher, managing director of the United Cricket Board, said he had spoken to McMillan, who confirmed that he was no longer available for international matches. McMillan is contracted to the United Cricket Board until the end of April on a retainer of R14 098 a month.
Bacher said the board would have to take a decision whether to pay the player for the remainder of the contract term. There is a precedent for allowing long-serving players a "notice" period, with Kepler Wessels and Fanie de Villiers both having retired during a season when they were under contract.
McMillan played in 38 Tests, scoring 1,968 runs at an average of 39.36 and taking 75 wickets at 33.82.
Source :: Sunday Times