Glamorgan v Surrey, CB40 Group B, Cardiff June 2, 2012

Davies guides Surrey through the rain

Surrey 173 for 9 beat Glamorgan 107 for 9 (Kartik 4-27) by 57 runs D/L

Group B leaders Surrey continued their unbeaten start to the CB40 campaign with a convincing victory over Glamorgan in Cardiff. Half-centuries from Steve Davies and Zander de Bruyn helped Surrey to 173 for 9 from their 40 overs and then spinner Murali Kartik helped restrict Glamorgan to 107 for 9 before rain ended proceedings 14 overs from the end, with figures of 4 for 26.

Surrey, who won by 57 runs under the Duckworth-Lewis method, have now been successful in all four of their matches while Glamorgan are still looking for a win in any competition.

Put into bat Surrey raced to 40 for 0 before captain Rory Hamilton-Jones edged John Glover to debutant Martin van Jaarsveld at slip. Jason Roy had brought up the Surrey 50 with a straight six but then edged Simon Jones to slip. It left Surrey 61 for 2 in the eighth over.

Davies, who reached a 32-ball 50, miscued a drive to mid-on and only six more runs were added before Tom Maynard went leg before to Allenby. It left Surrey 96 for 4 in the 18th over. Although de Bruyn looked solid the Surrey wickets kept falling. Allenby had Matthew Spriegel caught behind and Gareth Batty was bowled by Glover, while Cosker trapped Jon Lewis lbw with his final ball.

Kartik went to a fine running catch in the deep by Allenby off Will Owen as Surrey slipped to 166 for 8 before losing de Bruyn from the final ball. He went for 52 from 79 balls.

In reply Stewart Walters edged a good ball behind from Jade Dernbach at the end of the third over before van Jaarsveld was trapped lbw by Jon Lewis. It left Glamorgan 30 for 2 in the eighth over.

De Bruyn had to go off with an injured hand with Spriegel having to finish the over, but it worked in Surrey's favour as the stand-in bowler bowled Marcus North. It was the first of two wickets in the space of three balls as Kartik struck with his second delivery to trap Gareth Rees in front. Glamorgan slumped to 41 for 4. That became 49 for 5 as Mark Wallace was bowled by Kartik and Chris Cooke was run out.

With Glamorgan reduced to 81 for 6 all hope was lost when top-scorer Allenby was stumped giving Kartik the charge before Stuart Meaker bowled Cosker and Will Owen became Kartik's second stumping victim. But rain forced the players off the pitch with 14 overs remaining and Surrey celebrated.