World Twenty20 2012 performance analysis

Samuels, Mendis lead the way

An analysis of individual batting and bowling performances in the World Twenty20 2012

Madhusudhan Ramakrishnan

October 9, 2012

The analysis looked at every batting and bowling performance in Twenty20 internationals, with each one getting a score. As in the IPL analysis, there's extra emphasis on the scoring rates and economy rates, given the constraints of the number of deliveries available in this format. The performances were compared against the match stats, which means batsmen were rewarded for scoring quickly in a low-scoring game, while bowlers got more points for a tidy spell in a high-scoring match than in a low-scoring one. For batting performances, the innings were compared against the average scores at each batting position - that gave a deserved push to significant innings lower down the order, given that many of them were in high-pressure situations in which quick runs were required with few balls remaining.

Marlon Samuels smashed 78 off 56 balls, Sri Lanka v West Indies, final, World Twenty20, Colombo, October 7, 2012
Marlon Samuels is the best batsman of the World Twenty20 2012 according to ESPNcricinfo's performance analysis © Associated Press

Marlon Samuels, the Man of the Match in the World Twenty20 final, and Ajantha Mendis, the highest wicket-taker in the tournament, have emerged the best batsman and bowler according to ESPNcricinfo's analysis of individual performances in the World Twenty20 2012. Samuels, who has been consistent across all formats in the last year, extended his run through the tournament and ended it as West Indies' highest run-getter (third overall). Mendis, who had struggled with injuries in the last few months, started the tournament with an extraordinary performance against Zimbabwe and ended it with 4 for 12 in the final against West Indies. The study also ranked Brendon McCullum's superb 123 against Bangladesh as the best batting display and Mendis' six-wicket haul against Zimbabwe as the best bowling performance.

McCullum became the first batsman to score two centuries in Twenty20 internationals when he smashed the Bangladesh attack in New Zealand's opening game. In a game where the other batsmen managed to score at just over a run a ball, McCullum's strike rate of 212.06 stood out. Samuels rescued West Indies in the final after they were struggling at 14 for 2 at the end of the Powerplay. His effort is ranked high not just because of the strike rate (139.28) in a low-scoring game but also because the runs came against a high-quality Sri Lankan attack in a crunch game. Luke Wright figures twice in the top ten for his knocks of 76 against New Zealand and 99 against Afghanistan. Two other stand-out performances (both in defeats) in the top ten include Eoin Morgan's 71 against West Indies and Faf du Plessis' 65 against India in the final Super Eights game. Watson, the Player of the Tournament, did not make it to the top ten but ended with two performances in the top 15. It is interesting to note that apart from the West Indies (three in top ten), no batsman from the other three semi-finalists features in the top ten.

Top ten batting performances in World Twenty20 2012
Batsman Team Opposition Runs Balls faced Points
Brendon McCullum New Zealand Bangladesh 123 58 73.07
Marlon Samuels West Indies Sri Lanka 78 56 61.73
Luke Wright England New Zealand 76 43 53.96
Shakib Al Hasan Bangladesh Pakistan 84 54 52.77
Eoin Morgan England West Indies 71 36 50.56
Chris Gayle West Indies Australia 75 41 48.18
Virat Kohli India Pakistan 78 61 47.82
Faf du Plessis South Africa India 65 38 44.50
Luke Wright England Afghanistan 99 55 44.28
Johnson Charles West Indies England 84 56 43.80

Mendis' 6 for 8 is certainly not a surprise at the top. Although the performance did not come against a higher-ranked team, the economy rate (2.00) and strike rate (4.00) are phenomenal. Mendis figures in second position too for his 4 for 12 against West Indies in the final. His wickets included those of the dangerous Chris Gayle and Kieron Pollard, who had both combined to put the game beyond Australia in the semi-final. Harbhajan Singh's four-wicket haul against England was one of the few bright spots for India in an otherwise disappointing tournament. Two West Indian bowlers slot in at four and five. Ravi Rampaul bowled an aggressive spell in the semi-final against Australia and finished with figures of 3 for 16 that included the wickets of Cameron White and David Hussey. Sunil Narine conceded just nine runs off his 3.4 overs in the final and dismissed Mahela Jayawardene before returning to halt Sri Lanka's fightback by picking up the wicket of Nuwan Kulasekara. Lasith Malinga, who went for 54 runs off his four overs in the final, had a below-par tournament by his standards. However, his performance against England (5 for 31), which is ranked ninth, stood out because all five of his wickets were those of top-seven batsmen.

Top ten bowling performances in World Twenty20 2012
Bowler Team Opposition Wickets Runs conceded Points
Ajantha Mendis Sri Lanka Zimbabwe 6 8 58.62
Ajantha Mendis Sri Lanka West Indies 4 12 56.67
Harbhajan Singh India England 4 12 54.28
Ravi Rampaul West Indies Australia 3 16 50.59
Sunil Narine West Indies Sri Lanka 3 9 49.24
Xavier Doherty Australia South Africa 3 20 47.44
Steve Finn England New Zealand 3 16 47.00
Ajantha Mendis Sri Lanka West Indies 2 12 45.70
Lasith Malinga Sri Lanka England 5 31 44.50
Pat Cummins Australia India 2 16 43.97

Samuels scored three half-centuries in the tournament and ended with 230 runs. None of his knocks, however, was as crucial as his stunning performance in the final which lifted West Indies from a hopeless 32 for 2 at the end of ten overs to a competitive 137 at the end of 20 overs. Gayle, who comes in second, hit the most sixes in the tournament (16). In the semi-final against Australia, he played a highly responsible knock batting through the 20 overs pushing West Indies to a huge total of 205. Watson was in exceptional form early in the tournament, winning four consecutive Man-of-the-Match awards. He ended the tournament as the top run-scorer (249 runs) but came up short in the last two matches against Pakistan and West Indies. McCullum, the highest run-getter In Twenty20 internationals comes in fourth ahead of Virat Kohli, who was India's best batsman by a distance. The top ten is rounded off by Michael Hussey, who was dismissed only twice in five innings in the tournament while scoring 155 runs.

Top ten batsmen overall in the World Twenty20 2012 (min 100 runs)
Batsman Innings Runs Average Strike rate Points
Marlon Samuels 6 230 38.33 132.94 26.16
Chris Gayle 6 222 44.40 150.00 24.32
Shane Watson 6 249 49.80 150.00 23.24
Brendon McCullum 5 212 42.40 159.39 22.97
Virat Kohli 5 185 46.25 122.51 20.49
Luke Wright 5 193 48.25 169.29 20.36
Mahela Jayawardene 7 243 40.50 116.26 17.91
Ross Taylor 5 147 49.00 145.54 16.98
Suresh Raina 4 110 36.66 126.43 15.90
Michael Hussey 5 155 77.50 123.01 15.81

With 15 wickets at an average of 9.80 and economy rate of 6.12, Mendis ended the tournament as the best bowler. Narine, who came in second, had an even better economy rate (5.63) than Mendis but did not pick up wickets with the same regularity. Samuel Badree, who is third, played a vital role for West Indies in the latter stages of the tournament ending with a healthy economy rate of 5.56. Fifth-placed Watson's all-round skills were on display throughout the tournament as he finished with 11 wickets at an average of 16.00. Raza Hasan, Pakistan's left-arm spinner, maintained an exceptional economy rate of just 4.93 despite operating during the Powerplay overs. The top-ten list is completed by Saeed Ajmal, the leading wicket-taker in Twenty20 internationals, and Dale Steyn, who had the best economy rate (4.82) among all bowlers who bowled 15 or more overs in the tournament.

Top ten bowlers overall in World Twenty20 2012 (min 15 overs bowled)
Bowler Matches Wickets Average Economy rate Points
Ajantha Mendis 6 15 9.80 6.12 35.65
Sunil Narine 7 9 15.44 5.63 27.90
Samuel Badree 4 4 22.25 5.56 27.53
Steve Finn 5 8 15.37 6.15 27.22
Shane Watson 6 11 16.00 7.33 25.94
Raza Hasan 4 3 24.66 4.93 25.83
Graeme Swann 5 7 16.71 6.15 25.27
Mitchell Starc 6 10 16.40 6.83 24.64
Saeed Ajmal 6 9 18.11 6.79 23.42
Dale Steyn 5 6 13.66 4.82 23.07

For the performance analysis of Twenty20 internationals, click here.

Madhusudhan Ramakrishnan is a sub-editor (stats) at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Madhusudhan Ramakrishnan

Posted by satish619chandar on (October 10, 2012, 11:15 GMT)

My 11 purely based on how they fared in respective positions. Gayle, Watson(Mahela misses out because of Gayle's impact and Watson's all round balance), Kohli, Samuels, Morgan, Dhoni(Brendan statistically is more than Dhoni but Dhoni is the best WK at this position), Umar Akmal, Ajmal, Finn, Narine, Starc. Mike Hussey is missed out as he can't be squeezed in at 3. I don't want him to be at 6 as he didn't play at that position in this tournament. Baz could have been my keeper but he will be wasted at 6/7. Umar was probably the only No.6 to shine(atleast tot hat level). Ajmal was tough to drop but Mendis and Narine just pipped him into my 11. Picking the captain is the tough thing. Dhoni was not at his best in captaincy during the tournament.

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 5:30 GMT)

gayle, watson, kohli, wright, samuels, hussey, mccullum, sammy, narine, starc, mendis

Posted by   on (October 10, 2012, 5:09 GMT)

How did Gulldozing of South Africa in Super 8 bu Umer Gul's Gullish innings missed this list of top 10 individual batting performances?

Posted by Gizza on (October 10, 2012, 2:01 GMT)

This tournament was a bad one for wicketkeepers. McCullum fired in one match and that too against Bangladesh. Dhoni continued his terrible form. De Villiers shouldn't be keeping. Neither should Sangakkara. Most other teams had nobodies as keepers. Wade, Ramdin, Kieswetter, Akmal, etc. No wonder everyone is struggling to pick a wickie in their XI!

Posted by __PK on (October 9, 2012, 21:09 GMT)

Shane Watson almost single-handedly wins four games in a row and barely rates a mention? Oh dear. That should have been your first sanity check - that an intuitively obvious result is either reflected in the stats or simply explained away early in the article. It wasn't, so I never got deeper into this article than a search for the word "Watson". Sometimes the simplest stats don't lie.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 19:02 GMT)

ESPN seem to have forgotten Luke Wright's 99* against Afghanistan...

Posted by pradeep_dealwis on (October 9, 2012, 17:23 GMT)

@ Muttee..yes Ajmal is the King of Doosra NOW, but he is no Murali is he? (true that Saqlain invented the Doosra, but Murali mastered it, ...and even though i think Ajmals' doosra is a better than Murali's as a standalone ball, the overall effect is not the same)

but easily the best spinner in the world now is Ajmal, a whole lot better than overrated Swann

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 15:50 GMT)

Hats off to ESPN for covering the WT20. The quality of the coverage was great and to think that it was free was indeed wonderful. I see that the Champions League is also being covered by ESPN and for free. Thank you ESPN.

Posted by Muttee on (October 9, 2012, 15:30 GMT)

cool1sl1party1team: king of doosra? you can only wish for that. its Saeed Ajmal.

Posted by coomer on (October 9, 2012, 13:17 GMT)

@ cool1sl1party1team - I am a choker, i am a king maker but never a king(probably once in 96), i come to the finish line and fall flat on my face.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 13:02 GMT)

You gotta be kidding me.. Brendon McCullum in 4th place for just one good innings against bangladesh despite failing in all crucial matches..I guess Jaya deserved more respect...

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 12:58 GMT)

My 11 would be Gayle,Watson,Kohlli,Sanga (wk) , Samuels,Wright , Sammy (C) ,Cummins , Starc, Ajmal, Narine. - I'd like to have squeezed Swann in there but then also I think the SL spinners were more deserving than Sanga and despite not qualifying both the SA spinners deserve a mention. Jaya was better than Sanga as prob was Mccullam but Jaya in would leave the team with no WK and Mccullam in would leave the side with no SL rep which would be surely wrong. I somehow have 3 Aus players (who only made it to the semis) in there and only 1 SL player so maybe I'd bring in one of the SL spinners in for either Starc or Cummins

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

Interesting sides there. Gayle,Watson.Jaya,Kohli,Samuels are in all 3 sides and Hussey is in 2 of the 3. This may sound biased but I'd have Wright in above Hussey and Wright was definitely better than Morgan IMO. I'm also not 100% sure about Jaya and I'd try and squeeze Sammy in there as a captain and all rounder so maybe my balance would be different. Spinner's excelled by and large and I think Swann was better than Finn FOR Eng but that would mean too many spinners in Hopps 11.I'd also say Cummins deserves a mention and is maybe unlucky not to get into any of the sides. Also would say that the SL spinners were better than Jaya but who could displace Narine or Ajmal?

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

With those who say about Steyn , I suppose we have to consider that in their pivotal match vs Pakistan I seem to recall that the 2 main pacers went for runs and could not finish off Pak and AB should almost certainly have bowled 2 of the spinners out on that day considering what they were doing on the day.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 12:57 GMT)

@essel1 on (October 09 2012, 10:16 AM GMT) I understand your feelings re Mallinga. I think the big problem is that his spell was pivotal to the match. Had he even gone for 8 or 9 an over WI would have been 15 runs or so lighter which may have made a huge difference. In all fairness it was more Samuels/Sammy batting exceptionally well as opposed to LM bowling poorly and I guess he'd still make most people's current T20 sides.

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

I would like to mention - as I did on the Final thread - Sammy's bowling performance in the final. 2 overs 2 wickets for 6 runs and coming on at a time just when SL needed to accelerate and if you added the 26 runs he scored off 15 balls at the end of the innings , in a low scoring total , I'd say that has to be one of the if not thee all rounder performance of the tournament. I would say thee most disappointed fans must be SA fans who looked so hot up til the super 8s. Players like Amla who had been so magnificent until then just seemed to go off the boil

Posted by JG2704 on (October 9, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

From my team , England's point of view - I think the stats really prove how reliant we were on a few players. Besides our much talked about absentee - we really only had Wright as a batsman (with one off performances from Hales and Morgan) and Swann and Finn as the bowlers. Finn seemed to grow as the tournament kicked on and Swann was IMO excellent and when you consider he was the victim of Johnson's blitz vs WI and SLs excellent positive playing of him it says it all that his average was just above 6. It also confirms what I said about our other bowlers that Swann and Finn were going for 6 an over and Eng were chasing 180 on a few occasions.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 12:05 GMT)

what about Imran Nazir's 76 runs inning where that will go. i think it should be the part of top 10 performances.

Posted by D.V.C. on (October 9, 2012, 12:00 GMT)

How are the points calculated? Shane Watson has more runs at a higher average and identical strike rate to Chris Gayle, and yet is ranked behind him with fewer points.

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 11:45 GMT)

Mendis HAHA what a joke. 6 wkts against Zim and 4 against WI. both who are extremely weak in spin and havent played mendis. mendis gets smashed against good teams, rather anyone who has played him couple of time. SL would never dare to play mendis against india again. after one series his game was over. there are much better bowlers, much better spinners than him. only players like naseer hussain keep calling mendis amazing and mystery. lols one series mystery. this honour should have gone to more deserving winner. if just the numbers have to speak perhaps the best batsman should only play against weak bowling attacks so they can stack up the runs. and he will be considered the best. ridiculous.

Posted by Marcio on (October 9, 2012, 11:42 GMT)

Hiring someone who can count would be nice. Shane Watson scored more runs at a much higher average and strike rate than Samuels, but he finishes 3rd. Of course Watson is Australian, so we must interpret his results in the worst possible light. They are not real because... (add reasons blah blah blah).

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 11:35 GMT)

Sometimes you can argue with pure numbers... How is Watson ranked lower than Gayle as a batsman? More runs at a better average and the same strike rate... Is the number of sixes really that important if two batsmen strike the ball at the same rate?

Posted by Mervo on (October 9, 2012, 11:35 GMT)

Looked again .. Watson scored more runs at a much higher average than Samuels. Game over!

Posted by Mervo on (October 9, 2012, 11:33 GMT)

Nah. Watson was the best batsman. Won more matches with his bat. Probably the best bowler too

Posted by Pappu_bhai on (October 9, 2012, 11:19 GMT)

What?Steyn is better than Balaji in this World Cup? U should be kidding.I have told initially that Balaji is as Good as Steyn or maybe better.Then Why only Steyn is in Top 10?Where is Balaji? Balaji had more number of wickets compared to Steyn.Balaji has won India Game against Pakistan.What Steyn has done?Has he won any game for his team in this WC?Then how was he better than Balaji?

Also SAF will happily take Balaji instead of Steyn but India is proud of Balaji.We have one Balaji for ur steyn who is going to beat all Steyns records.Wait and c.....

Posted by mmrana99 on (October 9, 2012, 11:10 GMT)

@SRTMEANSPUB ; how could you rate bangladesh team against kiwis below par....we white-washed them in 4 ODI series...please show respect before giving derogatory comments....

Posted by ChathuSL on (October 9, 2012, 11:02 GMT)

Well done menda...............

Posted by cool1sl1party1team on (October 9, 2012, 10:42 GMT)

I am the Master Blaster. I am the Slinga. I am the Toe Crusher. I am the Dilscoop. I am the Classic. I am the King of Doosra. I am the Mystery. I am the Legend. I am the Runners Up at WC 2007, Barbados. I am the Runners Up at WC 2011,Mumbai. I am the Runners Up at T20 WC 2009, Lords. I am the Runners Up at T20 WC 2012, Colombo.

When World joked of us at.. We showed them

Who we really are.. I am the Highest Score in all formats. I am the Biggest Partnership. I am the Leading wicket taker. I am the Most stumpings in ODI. I am the Most runs in one Stadium I am the 800 wickets. I am the Present #1 T20 Team I am the Winner of 3 ICC awards in 2012 I an the best Umpire I am the Joint Winner of Champions Trophy 2002 I am the 1996 WC Champion. I am the Destructor. I am the Aggression. I am the Spin Wizard. I am the Nightmare for the wickets. I am the Class. I am the Courage I am the Passion. I am the Fearless I am the Unpredictable. I am the Hunter. I am the Smallest cricket playing country

Posted by   on (October 9, 2012, 10:36 GMT)

You don't agree with Graeme Swann being in top 10? This is a stats analysis, pure and simple, you can't argue with the numbers.

Posted by Buckers410 on (October 9, 2012, 10:15 GMT)

looks good. can;t agree with greame swann's place on the top 10 bowlers list. he is over rated so much

Posted by SRTMEANSPUB on (October 9, 2012, 9:46 GMT)

You got to be kidding me......brendon scored around 120 out of 212 in single inning against below par bangladesh..,.and his remaining 90 odd runs were very slow.....jayawardena deserves his rank.....

Madhusudhan RamakrishnanClose