Mumbai A v England XI, Mumbai, 3rd day

Compton states case with half-century

Amol Karhadkar

November 5, 2012

England XI 345 for 9 dec (Bairstow 118, Morgan 76, Patel 60) and 149 for 2 (Compton 64*) drew with Mumbai A 286 (Pujara 87, Shah 92)
Scorecard

Nick Compton plays a square drive, Mumbai A v England XI, tour match, Mumbai, 3rd day, November 5, 2012
Nick Compton made his first significant score of the tour © Getty Images

As is the case with most three-day first-class games in India, there wasn't much at stake in terms of the result between the visiting England XI and Mumbai A at the Dr DY Patil Sports Stadium. But winning or losing was the last thing on everyone's mind in the England camp, for this game anyway, and they made full use of their last day in Mumbai on all counts.

After Graham Onions - just like James Anderson the previous evening - struck in his first over with the second new ball, the left-arm spin duo of Monty Panesar and Samit Patel didn't take long to dislodge the lower order; opener Nick Compton finally managed to occupy the crease for well over three ours - albeit against mediocre bowling; and, most importantly, Stuart Broad, who needed a scan on his heel on Sunday, was not just back on the field in the morning but also was cleared of a serious injury.

So, as the England camp wrapped up the first of their three Mumbai legs on the India tour, they would have been feeling slightly better than they were coming in to the game. Compton, who remained unbeaten on 64 when the teams shook hands, said there had been "a number of good performances" over the last week.

"[Alastair] Cook has got a hundred, [Jonny] Bairstow has got a hundred, Samit has batted consistently well," he said. "Panesar's bowling was accurate, exceptional. I do feel that some batsmen have played well and that does bode well."

After dismissing the remaining six Mumbai batsmen for 46 runs, England scored 149 for 2 in 52 overs - 22 of which were bowled by part-time bowlers. Compton, who was dismissed for 0 and 1 in his first two innings on tour, finally managed to get it right and helped raise England's highest opening partnership so far. Joe Root, who started off as impressively as in the first innings, fell shouldering arms to a Shardul Thakur delivery that came in and rapped him on the pads with the score on 38 but Compton carried on to get a more substantial feel of batting in Indian conditions.

And he was candid in admitting how difficult it is to concentrate on a day when there's nothing much at stake.

"Mentally it's quite challenging. It was a bit of a challenge when they brought on a couple of spinners who probably don't bowl that much in first-class cricket," Compton said. "But it's about having the right attitude in these situations, every single ball, every single minute is important. Especially for me, having missed out in the first game. It's more of a mental battle, getting back to run-scoring mode. The opposition wasn't brilliant at the end, but they bowled quite accurately in the first hour."

In the morning, Mumbai A's Hiken Shah, who started the day 16 runs shy of a deserved century, started off with two well-timed boundaries off Onions. However, the left-hander was then caught in two minds about whether to play at a ball that was going down leg and edged it to wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow. Naturally, he was disappointed to have missed out on a hundred and stood his ground in disbelief before taking the long walk back. Panesar and Patel then made short work of the tail, picking off the last five Mumbai A wickets for 22 runs off 41 balls.

Amol Karhadkar is a correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: Amol Karhadkar

Posted by Sarfin on (November 6, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

India will be 50 times stronger than Mumbai A simply because Mumbai A is the 'second' team of a state which is playing in Ranji trophy with 23 other teams. So, 24*2 = 48. I want England to win. They did well against India A. But for me, they were not up to the mark against Mumbai A. And for Compton, one fifty in 4 innings against some less than medium pacers did not convince me. I still wish England top order will do better in Tests

Posted by Selassie-I on (November 6, 2012, 11:29 GMT)

Sarfin - 50 times stronger? so by your reckoning India will score 14,300 runs before being bowled out by England and be able to bowl England out for less than 7 runs? Interesting statement...

Personally, I'm happy with how the warm ups have gone, really ready for the test series now after all this T20 of late.

Posted by gsingh7 on (November 6, 2012, 11:16 GMT)

4-0 WHITE WASH WAITING FOR ENGLAND , DHONI WUD DEFINATELY BEAT THEM INTO HIDING

Posted by Valavan on (November 6, 2012, 9:43 GMT)

@maddy20, cooldown mate, first of all you mostly dig out with your comments like thrashing, preparing square turners and blah blah. I have never seen any unbiased comment, you just blow the trumpet - How India is this and that? JG make always good unbiased statements, the rest of English whine you and your friends to test your mental toughness, at the end as Hammond said, indian camp and fans are more nervous than england. cricinfo please publish.

Posted by Hammond on (November 6, 2012, 8:54 GMT)

I think India will have the more nervous camp at the moment.

Posted by DINESHCC on (November 6, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

SARFIN: "50 times stronger". WHO, WHERE, WHEN, HOW, AGAINST WHOM, WHY, WHAT?

Posted by maddy20 on (November 6, 2012, 8:03 GMT)

@JG2704 I would suggest that you look at some other comments(such as the one made by subbass) before taking a dig at the Indian posters!

Posted by jmcilhinney on (November 6, 2012, 5:16 GMT)

@Patchmaster on (November 06 2012, 04:01 AM GMT), I didn't/don't blame the poor WT20 performance on Pietersen or Broad. It was a collectively mediocre performance.

Posted by Patchmaster on (November 6, 2012, 4:01 GMT)

Broad should be dropped, he's not fit enough, fast enough, and his batting certainly doesn't hold water. The fact they made him VC, is another giant blunder by management. Broad got away with awful captaincy in the T20 World Cup, because everyone blamed the terrible performance on Peiterson. In reality, Broad was as much at fault as anyone.

Posted by Akshita29 on (November 6, 2012, 3:26 GMT)

There were many spelling mistakes in my previous comment . I mean to say that England's bowling was very good both in UAE and SL . And I feel the test series is going to be exciting .

Posted by jmcilhinney on (November 6, 2012, 2:49 GMT)

@LiamF on (November 05 2012, 21:50 PM GMT), given that they finished early on day 3, I guess the match wasn't at least 3 days in duration so it can't be classified as first class.

Posted by Meety on (November 6, 2012, 1:40 GMT)

In fact, Root's last FC match was in the County season!

Posted by Meety on (November 6, 2012, 1:38 GMT)

@LiamF/CricketingStargazer - I agree with what you said about FC cricket (it would be my view), BUT I think liam might be right!!! It's not noted on player recent history as FC but Other! Interesting! During the match - there was a link to live FC records for both teams, Mumbai A had some decent experienced players - that link is now gone (usually would remain)?????

Posted by Meety on (November 6, 2012, 1:30 GMT)

Whilst I will struggle to put England as favourites in India, they do seem to be ticking off boxes. Injuries aside, the batsmen are getting some time at the crease, the bowlers are taking wickets. Whilst I don't think too much of Patel's spin bowling, he is chipping in & his batting as really impressed, so I think he is almost a certainty. Compton (IMO) has now nudged ahead of Root, although I think England should throw the textbook out & give one opening spot to Bairstow. Yes he is young, but he is not inexperienced now, I think he'd relish the chance & he has the type of gaming that could quickly disintegrate Dhoni's plans. England inching closer in the betting me thinks!

Posted by The_bowlers_Holding on (November 6, 2012, 0:58 GMT)

Watch out India you are going to get caned!

Posted by Akshita29 on (November 5, 2012, 23:42 GMT)

@Sarfin "50 times stronger " is too much brother. England's weakness is against spin but they almost beat Srilanka in Srilanka. The dropped catches from monty must have hurt them bad in the 1st test .(although I don't remember how much impact those drop catches had on the game). And they went on to win the 2nd test with ease . And about UAE debacle , there is no Azmal in the indian side . Aswin is a fine bowler but he is nowhere near Azmal at this stage of his career . Even in UAE they came back to win the Odi series 4-0 . Although you can't take much from Odi s it's an indication that they are not totally at sea while facing spinners . And their bowling was very both in UAE and SL . These test series is going to very exciting . In the odis however India would have a definite edge . But it's all about the test series now and hoping for a good show from England.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 5, 2012, 22:55 GMT)

@Liamf, a first class match is "a match of at least three days duration played by two sides of XI players declared to be First Class". It's a pretty broad definition! The match would lose First Class status if, for example, one side played 12 players (11 bat, 11 field), or were shortened to one innings each over two days. Otherwise, I don't think that it can be downgraded as most of the Mumbai side had First Class experience and were thus First Class players.

Posted by LiamF on (November 5, 2012, 21:50 GMT)

This match was noted as First Class through its duration, now it's only listed as "other match". Does anyone know why it was downgraded?

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 5, 2012, 21:45 GMT)

@JG2704, I'm well aware of your preference for a 5 man attack both home & abroad. As I've said before I think 7 batsman is fine at home and in places like Aus & SAF but Asia is different as was proven last winter. Personally I think the bowling unit looked more threatening when Monty was in it last winter, we got away with in a bit wen we won in Colombo thanks to a match winning effort from swann. I think with Samit getting runs the likely hood is that he will be the 7th batsman & Monty wiill miss out, much how you call it. In fact I don't disagree too much with the team you have suggested, Broad hasn't been at his best since he was injured last winter, but I would want Finn in he's passed fit, rather than Onions. I can't help thinkin Woakes should have got in the squad I think he would have balanced the team well batting at 7 and being the 5th bowler.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2012, 21:40 GMT)

@Sarfin on (November 05 2012, 14:11 PM GMT) - Re "India will be at least 50 times stronger..." - Nice to see another balanced piece of commenting whereby the poster does not feel the need to exaggerate

Posted by   on (November 5, 2012, 21:22 GMT)

A pretty decent show by england. But I would love to JB in the starting 11 of first test. His expression after getting out to spinners is priceless!

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 5, 2012, 21:16 GMT)

@JG, declared policy was to give everyone two games. That means Alistair Cook opening with Joe Root, with KP, Prior, Bairstow, Morgan, Bresnan & Monty all playing. Stuart Meaker has to play and Stuart Broad plays or he will have to miss out in the Test. In theory, Nick Compton, Samit Patel, Trott, Bell and Anderson are all due to miss out. However, I think that both Compton and Bell need another game if they are to be in the starting XI. It will be interesting to see who plays and who misses out. You have to believe that the selectors were looking at the XI v India A as close to the starting XI for the 1st Test. Swann, Monty & Samit will be in the XII, with Monty playing if it looks like it will turn, with England playing all 3 (!!) spinners. Of the quicks it looks like Bresnan + Anderson, with (probably) Broad the third seamer. When Broad is focussed he is dangerous with his height: I want to see him focussed if he is going to play!

Posted by   on (November 5, 2012, 20:51 GMT)

India will crush England 4-0 unless rain occurs:D

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2012, 18:13 GMT)

@SirViv1973 on (November 05 2012, 14:23 PM GMT) I'd go 5/1/5 with my bowlers being Bres,Swann,Jimmy,Onions,Monty and that would have been my bowling unit before Broad and Finn picked up their injuries. If we're going 6/1/4 - which we will do because the selectors will show no adventure/attacking instincts - then Patel is a must as our 6th batsman as he is a spin option and I guess then Monty misses out. I feel with our injury problems to pacers 2 pacers is too risky because if 1 gets injured we have just the 1 pacer and also 2 pacers would increase the workload on our pacers which is the last thing we need.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2012, 18:13 GMT)

@CricketMaan on (November 05 2012, 13:41 PM GMT) Patel is really a batsman who bowls a bit , just like Bres is a bowler who bats a bit so Patel is a bowling option as opposed to a bowler. I'd go for Bres above Broad right now. If Broad is injured it may be a blessing in disguise

Posted by JG2704 on (November 5, 2012, 18:12 GMT)

Personally I'm not getting to carried away here. As we were reminded so often yesterday , this is nowhere near the quality of the real Indian side who will - acc to one poster "be 50 times better". Anyway , I'm pleased for Nick to finally get up and running and I guess if they play him in the next game it gives an indication they are keen on playing him. Surprised they didn't play KP in this game. Wouldn't it be strange if he actually missed selection due to the middle order players outperforming him? Also with Monty getting a few wickets it'd be interesting to see if he's put his name forward. I'd like to see Jimmy rested for the next game-replaced by Bres.Re batting , it's a bit of a headache as we want to see some more of KP but at whose expense? Maybe Patel has already done enough to cement his place but then we want Matt back so do we just give Root,Morgan,JB just one game each or do we give Nick a break and Root a 2nd game.?Quite a conundrum. Maybe Trott or Bell could make way?

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 5, 2012, 17:55 GMT)

@bobmartin, it's the standard pre-series psycological warfare! My feeling is that England have had 4 very good days so far and 2 rather mediocre ones. Had the balance been the other way around I would have worried. I still get the feeling that the Indians have missed a trick by playing some of our batsmen who must have had some mental doubts into some decent form rather than trying to go at them hard and provoke a batting crisis. All the batsmen apart from KP (who has had just one innings) have had some time at the crease and six of them have got at least one fifty, so it is job done then. The bowlers, on the other hand, look underdone to me: hopefully Haryana will provide some stiffer resistence and a couple of tough days in the field.

Posted by bobmartin on (November 5, 2012, 16:55 GMT)

Why are the detractors of England so keen to jump on to any results from these WARM UP games... They are nothing more than net practice in the middle a chance for most of the England players, who haven't played any serious cricket in something like 3 months.. to get some match PRACTICE... Get the implication behind the capitals ???

Posted by Naresh28 on (November 5, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

India need to give NADEEM a game versus England, he is a great spinner. Takes wickets by bucket full. Lots of clean bowls so hitting the stumps regularly. He has just finished playing a Ranji game and a few weeks back played IPL.

Posted by bouncedout on (November 5, 2012, 16:45 GMT)

well done son, knew you'd come good.

Posted by subbass on (November 5, 2012, 16:01 GMT)

People are just talking garbage. England have been satisfactory in the warm up games. The general idea is that you warm up, not peak and this is exactly what has happened. India beware you are about to get beaten and it's gonna really hurt ! You may lose test status come the end of the 4-0 hammering.

Posted by FreddyForPrimeMinister on (November 5, 2012, 15:41 GMT)

After all the scathing comments from Indian fans yesterday, it's nice to see England polish off Mumbai's last 7 wickets for just 54 runs giving them a very healthy lead of 59, followed up by a nice solid second innings platform. When will these hopelessly biased individuals (from both sides, it has to be said) realize that neither team has a strong advantage over the other and providing injuries are kept to a minimum, the series should be a hard fought one with probably a close result. Certainly nobody is going to win 4-0 as England did back home, so let's keep the comments sensible and BALANCED so we can all look forward to what should be a good battle between two evenly matched sides. Disrespectful comments only reflect badly on yourself and the country you support. Thank you.

Posted by dabhand on (November 5, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

Sarfin - so your prediction is England will lose 9 wickets for under 7 runs - personally I guess you are wrong but we'll see. Perhaps you would explain exactly what you expected from a 3 day game, was it England to score a huge amount of runs in a day and a half and then bowl the other side out twice to win by an innings and X00 runs or something. If that was the case you are giving credit to neither team nor recognising the conditions of the ground.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 5, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

@Damo_s, Ind played just one warm up game before the series in Eng last year a 3 day game against a decent Somerset side which also included Andrew Strauss. They basically didn't have time for anymore as they were playing a test series in the Carribean up until about 10 days before the first test.

Posted by Valavan on (November 5, 2012, 15:11 GMT)

The best XI for England could be Cook,Trott,Morgan,Pietersen,Bairstow,Patel,Prior, Bresnan, Swann, Finn/Broad and Anderson. No need Nick Compton as Bairstow can make a decent show up front. England should give a whole hearted performace to enforce a result in their favour, hopefully they take the leaf out of the PSS Test Vs SL in April. Goodluck and hardwork England. Now you dont have the Gorilla (No.1 Test ranking) at your shoulders, so play it and make it with a great show. cricinfo please publish

Posted by Damo_s on (November 5, 2012, 14:53 GMT)

England can only play who is put in front of them, i.e. a team full of right arm mediums. We didnt collapse and bowled them out for less than our total. Why is that an unconvincing performance? When India came to England I recall from 2011 that the warm up teams we provided were pretty much full strength and a mixture of spin and seam, basically normal service. India have deliberatly kept our batsmen away from spending time against spin. Poor sportsmanship and / or running a bit scared IMO.

Posted by jackiethepen on (November 5, 2012, 14:50 GMT)

Compton and Bell were both not out, Sarfin, they can only play the opposition. I agree with jmcilhinney, it made no sense to end the game while those two were at the crease trying to get time in the middle, building a good partnership. Where's the logic? But I've said this so many times about the way England run their warm up games. Preparation like this is just poorly managed. And why not send in Bell ahead of Trott who got a decent run in the first match?

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (November 5, 2012, 14:41 GMT)

I do not think so much that it was Mumbai A,after all Pujara played for them, but the fact of it being a 3 day game which took away from the value of the game. England are probably feeling okay now except over the injuries and mercifully they have a 4 day game to play next. I guess there they will have to play the test side if fit. I might though leave Trott out for Root and give both opening contestants the gig. Patel must be in pole position for 6 and the attack comprise 3 seamers and Swann. Which seamers though is not certain apart from JA.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 5, 2012, 14:23 GMT)

Good for NC to get some runs under his belt I suspect JR will get another chance to stake his claim in the last warm up game. I still think the big question is the balance of the team. at home the make uo of the team is simple 7 batters, 3 seamers and Swanny. Here there seems to be so many questions, should we go with 5 out and out bowlers and sacrifice a batsman ? If we do that then JB would likely be the batter to miss out and he's just made a ton. If we stick with 4 bowlers can we afford to just have 2 seamers ? If we do go with 2 seamers and SF is fit should he play instead of SB ? if we go with the best 5 bowlers Is the batting line up strong enough to have SB bat at 7 ? or should TB play in stead of SF or SB to strengthen the batting ? I could probably go on, but there will be some big decisions to make over the next 10 days

Posted by Sarfin on (November 5, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

Not a convincing performance at all. English team should worry a lot. That is the second team of Mumbai without any spinner. Yet they lost 9 wickets below 350. A half century from Compton against Mumbai A??? Not buying it. India will be at least 50 times stronger...

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 5, 2012, 13:47 GMT)

@jmcilhinney Agreed. I would have thought that a chance for Ian Bell to reach 50, even against very friendly bowling, was one not to be missed. Today was a much better day for England all round, with a big collapse from Mumbai A and Nick Compton getting some runs and, more importantly, showing the fight that England will need to wear down the Indian bowling.

Posted by CricketMaan on (November 5, 2012, 13:41 GMT)

With Compton almost securing his place (unless Root's bowling option lures Cook), will Englad choose Bresnan over Bell? That way they can play 5 bolwers with the 5th being Patel. JA, SB, GS, TB, SP, KP..can do the job if India makes them to bowl beyond 90 overs!!

Posted by jmcilhinney on (November 5, 2012, 12:42 GMT)

Not the most convincing effort from England but at least the top order scored a few in the second dig. I have to say though, I don;t understand this seemingly default action of calling off these warm up games early. They are 3-day games so everyone knows that they are going to be draws so why call them off early when they turn out to be draws? In the first game, Raina was fighting for a spot in the India Test side and failed in the first innings and then agreed to call the game a draw while at the crease on 16. Surely he could only benefit by batting on and scoring a few runs. Here, Compton and Bell had both failed twice prior to this second innings and yet they call the game off early with those two at the crease. Surely they could both benefit from more time at the crease, even if it wasn't exactly the same conditions as they'll see in the Test matches. We keep hearing about time in the middle being important so why give up the opportunity to get more?

Amol KarhadkarClose
Tour Results
India v England at Dharamsala - Jan 27, 2013
England won by 7 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
India v England at Mohali - Jan 23, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
India v England at Ranchi - Jan 19, 2013
India won by 7 wickets (with 131 balls remaining)
India v England at Kochi - Jan 15, 2013