Ist ODI, Sri Lanka v England, Statistical Highlights
- It was the 1694th ODI in cricket history.
- It was the 21st match between these two sides. The record now reads: Sri Lanka 8,England 13.
- It was the 97th match on Sri Lankan soil and fifth between these two sides. Sri Lanka has lost on just one occasion.
- Rangilli Dambulla International Stadium was hosting its first ever ODI match. It has now become the 121st venue and 137th ground to host a ODI match. Jaffna also became the fifth venue in Sri Lanka to after Colombo, Moratuwa, Kandy and Galle to host a ODI match. It also became the seventh Sri Lankan ground to host ODI match (Colombo has three grounds).
- Michael Vaughan was making his ODI debut for England. He became 161st player to represent England in abbreviated form of the game.
- Umpires EAR De Silva and LV Jayasundra were officiating in their eighth and fourth match respectively.
- Mahela Jayawerdene was playing his 50th consecutive match for Sri Lanka since the World Cup game against South Africa at Northampton on 19-05-1999. He became tenth Sri Lankan to appear in 50 (or more) consecutive matches with Aravinda De Silva and Sanath Jayasuriya sharing the top slot with 96 appearances at a trot.
- England's total (143) was its lowest against Sri Lanka in all matches obliterating the 170 at Colombo RP on 10-03-1993.
- Graham Thorpe (62*) contributed 43.36 % in England's total. He now holds the distinction of highest percentage contribution in team's total in the matches between England and Sri Lanka. Graeme Hick (126*) had made a contribution of 41.72 % in England's innings at Adelaide on 23-01-1999.
- Romesh Kaluwitharana by effecting three dismissals in the match (one catch + two stumpings) equalled the existing Sri Lankan record of most dismissals by a 'keeper in an innings. Kaluwitharana had performed the same feat at Brisbane on 11-01-1999.
- Muttiah Muralitharan (4-29) achieved his 10th four wicket match haul in his 160th match. His figures are the second best for Sri Lanka against England in Sri Lanka. The best remains Sanath Jayasuriya's six for 29 at Moratuwa on 20-03-1993.
- Muralitharan has now taken 17 wickets in nine matches against England which takes him past Sanath Jayasuriya's tally of 15 wickets from 12 matches to become the leading wicket taker for Sri Lanka.
- Alec Stewart's three catches in the match equals the best performance by an English wicket-keeper behind the stumps. Stewart had also taken three catches in the World Cup game at Lord's on 14-05-1999.
- Muralitharan won his sixth Man of the Match award in his 160th match.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.