Ranji Trophy Super League, 6th round, 2nd day January 3, 2007

Muzumdar and Nair put Mumbai in command

Cricinfo staff

Mumbai 464 for 8 (Muzumdar 112, Nair 86, Aslam 5-132) lead Rajasthan 155 by 309 runs

Mumbai piled on the runs and the pressure on Rajasthan as they ended the second day 309 ahead at the Wankhede Stadium. Amol Muzumdar played a captain's knock of 117, while Rohit Sharma and Abhishek Nair chipped in with valuable half-centuries to extend Mumbai's lead. Nair played an aggressive knock of 86 and shared a 234-run stand with Muzumdar. After both were dismissed, Sharma and the lower order strengthened Mumbai's position, with Vinayak Samanth helping himself to an unbeaten 41 at stumps. Mohammad Aslam, the left-arm spinner, was the pick of the bowlers, taking five wickets.

Andhra 92 for 4 trail Delhi 355 (Tehlan 109, Aditya 72, Fai1 5-115) by 263 runs

Delhi took a firm grip on the game after reducing Andhra to 92 for 4 after posting 355 in their first innings. Ishant Sharma prised out two wickets, including the vital wicket of Venugopal Rao, to leave Andhra struggling at 45 for 4 but the hosts attempted to stabilise through an unbroken 47-run stand between Prasad Reddy and Chandramouli Prasad. Earlier, Aditya Jain guided the lower-order, after his overnight-partner Mayank Tehlan fell after reaching his hundred, to take Delhi to a healthy total. Mohammad Faiq grabbed two more wickets to end up with a five-wicket haul and prevent Delhi from running away to a massive total but the visitors held the advantage by the end of the day.

Bengal 172 for 7 trail Hyderabad 309 by 137 runs

Hyderabad were sitting pretty after an allround bowling performance left Bengal limping at 172 for 7. Ranadeb Bose struck three blows to restrict Hyderabad, overnight on 258 for 6, to 309. Bengal lost wickets at regular intervals and slipped to 104 or 6 before they tried to rally through a 60-run partnership between Rohan Gavaskar and Saurasish Lahiri.But Pragyan Ojha dismissed Gavaskar to put the hosts on top. Bengal and Hyderabad are tied at 8 points apiece.

Tamil Nadu 119 for 4 trail Karnataka 426 ( Akhil 73) by 307 runs

Karnataka, who amassed 426, were eyeing a first-innings lead after reducing Tamil Nadu to 119 for 4 at the end of the second day's play in Bangalore. Balachandra Akhil blasted a quick 73 to lift Karnataka, overnight on 309 for 6, to a huge total. Tamil Nadu started their reply in a disastrous fashion when Srikkanth Anirudha was run out in the first over but recovered through a 78-run partnership between Ramaswamy Prasanna and Murali Vijay. But Appanna, the young left-arm spinner, removed Vijay to regain the initiative. Three wickets fell in the space of 41 runs as Tamil Nadu found themselves in trouble.

Maharashtra 72 for 1 (Kanitkar 39*) trail Gujarat 369 (Niraj Patel 112, Sanclecha 5-128) by 297 runs

A five-wicket haul by seamer Anupam Sanclecha restricted Gujarat to 369, blotching their sound start, on the second day at Nasik. Shortly after Niraj Patel - overnight on 92 - reached his century, Gujarat lost their way. Sanclecha struck twice, sending back Parthiv Patel and Niraj Patel, and Gujarat lost four wickets for just 35 runs. Kirat Damani then salvaged the situation with a half-century, and was well supported by the lower order. Damani's 52 came off 81 balls with eight fours and a six. Maharashtra began their reply in a cautious manner, ending the day at 72 for 1 after Dheeraj Jadhav lost his wicket to Damani's off breaks.

Saurashtra 134 for 5 (Kotak 39) trail Haryana 308 (Mishra 84, Dhruv 5-88) by 174 runs

Saurashtra were in a spot of bother against Haryana at Rajkot as they lost their top five for 134, still trailing by 174 runs. Resuming on 238 for 7, Amit Mishra and Sandeep Singh continued their resistance, adding 27 before Sandip Maniar sent back Singh for 58. Mishra looked set for his maiden first-class century before falling to Rakesh Dhruv, who picked up his fifth wicket. Saurashtra stumbled in their reply, as Shitanshu Kotak and Jaydev Shah failed to convert their starts, both falling in the 30s. Mishra picked up two quick wickets by the close of play.