Features FeaturesRSS FeedFeeds

South Africa in England: Great Performances

Last-chance Leeds

What do you do when you know your days are numbered? You score a Test hundred, of course. The first in a mini-series on great South African performances in England

Firdose Moonda

June 20, 2012

Peter Kirsten celebrates his maiden Test century, England v South Africa, 2nd Test, Headingley, 3rd day, August 6, 1994
Peter Kirsten: "Technically, I was at my best in that Test. Technically sound, mentally sound" © PA Photos

Day four of the second Test between England and South Africa at Headingley in 1994. The day before, Peter Kirsten had become the second-oldest man since the Second World War to score a maiden Test century, at 39 years and 82 days. But he couldn't take the field the next day.

"The press contingent gave me a few congratulatory free beers that night, to the extent that I couldn't field the next day," Kirsten said. "It was different in those days. But that hundred was the biggest highlight of my cricketing career. I mean, just to score it two Tests before I knew they were going to put me out to pasture. Not bad."

Kirsten knew he was a marked man when the series started. It was not made explicit to him, but he had no doubt the tour, only his third, would be his last. "Peter Pollock [then chairman of selectors] wanted to bring [Darryl] Cullinan into the arena, and he was too good a player to be kept out, so I knew the writing was on the wall for me. I knew before anyone even told me. I knew how they were thinking."

So it was Kirsten's last chance to make a Test hundred, not because he wanted to prolong his career or prove a point to the administrators, but in order to create a memory for himself. Kirsten felt he was ready to do that in Leeds. "I was in a good frame of mind. I got 42 in the second innings of the Lord's Test and I also scored 100 at Sussex just before that, so I felt good. I was the senior statesman and that was the time to be at my best, and I was. Technically I was at my best in that Test. Technically sound, mentally sound."

South Africa had recorded a resounding 356-run win at Lord's and saw the second Test as an opportunity to stamp their authority on the old enemy. But England kept them in the field for over 160 overs as they crafted an innings of 477. By the time Kirsten went in to bat, South Africa were "under the cosh" at 91 for 4.

"It was moving around a bit. That Leeds wicket tended to favour the bowlers," he said. "And England had a good trio of fast bowlers. Darren Gough was quick, and you always had to be at your best against him. He was a good Yorkshireman, with an aggressive attitude. Phil DeFreitas swung it around a bit, and they also had Angus Fraser."

Gough troubled Hansie Cronje with short-pitched bowling through the series, but at Leeds he targeted Kirsten. "Gough felled me when I was on 47 and I was down on the ground," Kirsten said. "But he obviously wasn't quick enough, because I batted on."

Once Kirsten reached 50, with Jonty Rhodes at the other end - "always keeping me on my toes, the little bugger" - the new ball was not far away. By the time it came, the wicket had got a little flatter and things became easier for Kirsten. Brian McMillan was a "tower of strength" as Kirsten accumulated runs, putting to use a tip given to him by one of the game's greats.

At a net practice two days before the match, Kirsten got a piece of advice he credits for the change in his approach at Headingley. "Geoff Boycott was standing behind me when we were practising, and he came to me and said, 'Kirsy, as we get older, we've got to get those feet dancing. Look to get forward a bit.' He was right, because as age creeps on you, your feet tend to get stuck in the crease."

Kirsten still remembers the shot that brought up his only Test century. "It was a fantastic drive through the covers off DeFreitas and we ran three. I wasn't dramatic when it happened. Mine was more of an inward gratification. It was a marvellous feeling and something that I can still feel. It's tangible. I can still feel the goosepimples, and the crowd's acknowledgement was magnificent."

Kirsten had been a popular figure in England, having played at Derbyshire for six seasons until 1982. Even though he was returning after a dozen years, "a lot of people knew me from my county days" as he said. "The cricket culture was marvellous and still is. The cricketing public understand how the game works and they appreciate good cricket, so South Africans are very popular there."

He doesn't think much has changed about the sense of occasion that accompanies a series between England and South Africa and said that this time around, the battle for No. 1 should heighten the contest. Kirsten thinks it will be decided on the strength of the batting and the quality of the spin.

"Both sides have excellent bowling attacks and the batsmen will battle in the first 30 overs or so, when the ball is moving around a bit. Whoever bats better in the top seven will win the series, because both sides will lose early wickets at some stage. If you look at the lower order, South Africa may have the edge but England have got the edge in terms of [Graeme] Swann. He is going to be a big factor."

The upcoming series starts at The Oval, with the Leeds Test sandwiched between that and Lord's. I would have preferred to have scored my hundred at Lord's and got my name on the board," Kirsten said. "But Hansie had a great sense of humour so he got a black pen and wrote my name on the dressing-room wall at Headingley, pretending that it was Lord's. I'm sure by now my name would have been rubbed off."

Firdose Moonda is ESPNcricinfo's South Africa correspondent

RSS Feeds: Firdose Moonda

Posted by   on (June 21, 2012, 18:34 GMT)

I would like to think that when he mentions the lower order he means 5,6,7 where South Africa are slightly stronger

Posted by   on (June 21, 2012, 0:50 GMT)

I love Boycott, seems such a gentleman. Very witty too.

Posted by   on (June 20, 2012, 17:00 GMT)

I think the lower order is what seperates these teams. But, if Steyn is swinging late on all cyclinders, and Philander keeps hitting seam on perfect length ball after ball, it is ging to a tight, dramatic and fantastic test series. What about Smith's attitude? He seems to have the right presence against England. Will the Strauss captaincy prove to be the ace in the suit? Morkel might dominate the openers on a juicy wicket. Boucher might surprise us all with a final cameo - he's gt the ability.

Posted by whatawicket on (June 20, 2012, 16:21 GMT)

not sure who will be 8.9.10.jack for SA, but i expect more runs from the english late order. eng other than anderson have all score a first class 100 . i agree i think the late batting will decide who wins the series and who will be #1 at the end of series

Posted by biggyd on (June 20, 2012, 14:42 GMT)

one of the best saffa knocks ever in england must be kp 160 vs oz 2005? : )

Posted by Vindaliew on (June 20, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

Peter Kirsten was a good bloke, and this is one of those rare instances when a good guy got what he aimed for and what he deserved - especially poignant when we consider that great cricketers such as Nottinghamshire's Clive Rice and Somerset's Jimmy Cook missed out. I also love how despite his reputation for arrogance, Boycs actually shares his advice very unselfishly, and quite a few people have benefited from it. I recall Nasser Hussain once got a few pointers from him too.

Posted by   on (June 20, 2012, 11:29 GMT)

Peter Kirsten was a top tier batsman, and no doubt had he had the opportunity in tests-denied by isolation- he would have certainly made his mark. I agree with his assessment about the upcoming test series being won by the top 7 batsmen, but England certainly have the edge when it come to the lower half. Prior, Bresnan, Broad, Swan are certainly stronger than Boucher [whom I believe is on 'one tour too many'] Philander, Morkel and Steyn. The bowlers are separated by very little, if anything, and those using the conditions better, will have the edge

Posted by analyseabhishek on (June 20, 2012, 10:28 GMT)

I remember Peter Kirsten being MoM during SA's maiden win in their inaugural 3 match ODI series. He followed it up by being a star performer in the WC (2nd highest run getter) and also performed creditably in his debut test against WI. I thought he played the ball late and his batting had a certain simplicity in it. He was past his prime but could still garner away some limelight!

Posted by AdrianVanDenStael on (June 20, 2012, 9:31 GMT)

Certainly I am glad that Kirsten got his opportunity to make a test century. If I understand him rightly however he suggests that the current South African lower-order batting is strong than England's, which I don't quite see: I don't really think Boucher-Morkel-Steyn-Philander-Imran Tahir (say) are likely to get more runs than Prior-Bresnan-Broad-Swann-Anderson. However, it's certainly going to be a challenging series for England.

Posted by ballonbat on (June 20, 2012, 7:02 GMT)

It's a pity that Hansie didn't have a sense of what was right and what was wrong to go with that great sense of humour.

Still, great piece, Firdose, and a reminder of a brilliant and much-deserved Test century by Kirsten. We missed so many more. He would surely have had that Lord's century too.

Posted by wanatawu on (June 20, 2012, 5:44 GMT)

Good one Peter, you always a good guy I also enjoy your commentary

FeedbackTop
Firdose MoondaClose

'Lara v McGrath was a great battle of our generation'

Dravid and Manjrekar discuss Brian Lara's adaptability

'Bailey should lead Australia in the World Cup'

Bowl at Boycs: Geoff Boycott on why keepers don't make good captains

A good time to invest in Smith stock

Mark Nicholas: Australia's new captain has shown more responsibility in his batting without shedding his youthful bravado

'Why I was dropped is still an unsolved mystery'

Former India opener Madhav Apte talks about his short-lived Test career, and touring the West Indies

Was it right to play the fourth ODI?

Ahmer Naqvi: Why there really is no point in the PCB trying to get international cricket back to Pakistan

The terrifying bouncer

When Mitchell Johnson hit Virat Kohli on the helmet with a bouncer, Australian fielders came from everywhere. Mental disintegration had gone, replaced by the cricket unity. Two teams, one family.

Johnson and Kohli fight their demons

From the bouncer that struck him on the badge of his helmet to the bouncer that dismissed him, Virat Kohli's century, and his duel with Mitchell Johnson, made for compelling human drama

The perfect Test

After the tragedy of Phillip Hughes' death, this match showed that cricket and life will continue to go on. This time Test cricket dug in and got through to tea.

Kohli attains batting nirvana

Virat Kohli's innings on the final day transcended the conditions, the bowlers and his batting partners, and when it was all in vain, he displayed remarkable grace in defeat

Australia in good hands under proactive Smith

The new stand-in captain has the makings of a long-term leader, given his ability to stay ahead of the game