Interviews InterviewsRSS FeedFeeds

'I've never wanted to prove anything to anyone'

Sachin Tendulkar talks about the year ahead for India, and the need to stay in love with the game

Interview by Sai Mohapatra

July 11, 2012

Sachin Tendulkar plays off the front foot, Bangladesh v India, Asia Cup, Mirpur, March 16, 2012
Sachin Tendulkar: "In my case, lack of motivation was never a problem ... From a cricketer's point of view, you've got to be madly in love with cricket." © AFP

You are not part of the squad that is going to Sri Lanka. Are you at a stage where you can actually pick and choose between series, looking at the kind of workload you are in for - big series coming up next, England and Australia?
No. I basically requested the BCCI that I wanted to spend some time with my family. That's the only reason I'm not going. This is school holiday time for my children. I don't get to spend much time with them. Looking at the rest of the calendar, it becomes difficult, and to match that with them bunking school to spend time with me… And after this for about next ten months they will not be able to spend enough time with me. So I made a request for a break.

After the World Cup you said you don't have any batting aspirations anymore. Don't you want to prove anything to anyone?
I never wanted to prove anything to anyone ever. Not that it is only post-World Cup, because that would send wrong signals. I never thought I am out here to prove anything to anyone, but yes, one big target was winning the World Cup. Other than that my only aim was to enjoy the game of cricket. I have grown up playing cricket. I haven't done anything else in my life from a professional point of view. Cricket has been my life, my passion. I just want that to continue.

You have pretty much ticked all the boxes - part of a World Cup-winning squad, India winning series abroad... A phase for you to now go out and just enjoy yourself and nothing else?
Yes. Even while doing that - playing cricket in various countries - I had fun, but when you win it gets even sweeter.

You take a lot of pride in playing for your nation. I have that terrific feeling and privilege of playing for India for the last 23 years and it's been a fantastic journey. I have no complaints at all. There have been ups and downs, and it makes you a better and strong person, it teaches you so many things in life around cricket, just as a person.

There has been an evolution in your batting, from an ultra-aggressive batsman to controlled aggression. Are there times when you think of possibly going back to some of your best years - 1998 etc - and telling yourself "I want to live that life all over again"? Deep down is there an internal competition there?
Yes, every season you always feel towards the start of the season: How do I approach the season? What is it that I can bring to the team? And this year it's no different. Always I want to do something special with the bat and to do something which I look back at after a few years and say, "Yes the season was a great one."

For any player who has played for 23 years, there are several impediments - injury, loss of form, lack of motivation, fatigue. What do you reckon you need, to be able to be at the top of your game? What is that you need to guard against?
In my case, lack of motivation was never a problem. I can't speak for anyone else. From a cricketer's point of view, you've got to be madly in love with cricket. Once cricket has started from your heart - for first it needs to have a solid foundation in your heart - and gradually from that solid foundation I believe you start building as you grow up, start playing more matches, play better standard of cricket; then gradually it finds its way to your brain and you start figuring out how to score runs and how to take wickets. But if cricket is not in your heart then results are not that great.

Rahul Dravid quit recently, and before that some of your contemporaries like Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly quit too, leaving you in a situation where you play with a number of youngsters. How important is it for you to invest in relationships, to get partnerships going with them?
It's important to know each other's nature, each other's personality, how they react to various situations, and it only helps when you have made an understanding in guiding each other when you are batting. You need that guidance, good communication, to build partnerships. And it is there. I have played with the current lot for some time, and there was one stage when I was already a part of the Indian team for six years when Rahul and Sourav joined me. So in every generation this process has to take place. I can say that I have played with all of them, so that understanding is very much there.

VVS Laxman and you are perhaps the last two remaining of that old school, for whom Test cricket is top priority. When you look at the current lot, who do you reckon the responsibility lies on to take your legacy forward?
To make someone like Test cricket, it has to [come from] within. There is no set formula that you have to do certain things and then you start liking Test cricket. I grew up dreaming about playing for India - that was the biggest thing I wanted to achieve: to play Test cricket for India and to do well. Every practice session I went out, I was prepared to work as hard as any of my coaches wanted me to; the only thing I wanted was an India cap. If anyone is prepared to do that, I would love to have him in my team.

"Always I want to do something special with the bat and to do something which I look back at after a few years and say, "Yes the season was a great one"

Yes, maybe there are individuals around who feel, "If I don't play Test cricket I don't miss much." You need not force them into [something] they don't want to be. If someone wants to be [in Test cricket] then he will find his way, will be ready to push himself as hard as anyone to realise his dreams. I don't like to push someone to like Test cricket and make him like Test cricket forcibly. I would just keep those two individuals separate.

More than the talk about having a batting vacuum once you and Laxman eventually quit, possibly a bigger problem for India is not having a great bowling combination. You need a pack of bowlers who can consistently take 20 wickets to win you matches. Isn't that the bigger challenge for India?
Yes, to win matches outside, you need an all-round good side. You need to, for sure, pick up 20 wickets. You might not have to use 20 wickets while batting to win matches but you have to pick up 20 wickets while bowling - there is no short cut, no option. All I can say is that it just can't be good batting and bad bowling and vice versa. Also, backed by good fielding.

I remember we played a Test match in Zimbabwe in 2001-02, and we won, in Bulawayo, where not a single hundred was scored, not a single five-wicket haul was taken by any of our bowlers, so that was a clear-cut indication of good team work. So in all departments you need to make sure you have done your job.

Everybody is waiting for another debut for you - as a Member of Parliament. How are you looking at that responsibility? You have always stayed away from controversy - no distractions, only focused on your cricket. But if at all it comes to taking up a stand, be it political or otherwise, are you in a position to do that?
I look at it as an honour - it's a nomination; I have not fought an election. When your name gets nominated by the president of India… I have been nominated because of my contribution to cricket for the last 22 years, which has brought me here. I cannot ignore that all of a sudden. I am an active cricketer, I will be focused on cricket. But when the time is right I will look into all those things.

This is something new to me. It's not that I will overnight bring in a lot of changes and be involved in various things. I don't want to give that impression to anyone. I will be focused on cricket for sure.

Up next are two big-ticket series - England's and Australia's tours of India, and New Zealand's tour of India before that. With a good show at home, India realistically has a great chance of regaining the No. 1 ranking. How much does becoming No. 1 again mean to you?
We can't get that far ahead and start thinking of being No. 1 again. Yes, everyone wants to be No. 1 but there are certain steps that you need to take. You can't forget the process. First we play New Zealand, so we are going to be focusing only on New Zealand and nothing else. And then the England and Australia series. We can't jump to the month of March; that way you lose your focus.

To be focused on the present is the most important factor, and that is what not only me but the entire team would want - to achieve those results which will make us smile. Everyone is expecting that we will give our best, entertain everyone with good competitive cricket.

Sai Mohapatra works with ESPN Sportscenter in India

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 14, 2012, 17:13 GMT)

@praveensorry dint understand ur complete picture but if u r accepting scores why not the last 7 of both instead of 10 for RP and 7 for ST ll tell u why because if u just take cb series for both and not purposely the south africa series to bolster his average(rp). LETS TALK JUST CB SERIES RP AVERAGE IS 3 u cant expect any one to be in team just with an average of 3 SACHINS average is 20.42 bad but still better .if u take the asia cup its 52,114,6,39,14,22 an average of 35 acceptable(not flawless though) he appeared in good touch especially against the run chase with a quick 50 against PAK. coming and going isint a sign of a legend .But perhaps gearing up for a hectic season which is more important. If he plays a series ,its said that he is not giving chances to youngsters but if he comes and goes it is said that being picky isint good.So either ways he is being blamed .

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 14, 2012, 14:40 GMT)

coolindianfan ...You come and go and not sure till when you play, is that a character of a legend??

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 14, 2012, 11:36 GMT)

@coolindianfan on (July 14 2012, 09:50 AM GMT)....praveen4honestremark on (July 12 2012, 10:07 AM GMT) Scores of Sachin in last ODI series, CB series played in Australia: 2, 48, 15, 3, 22, 14, 39 (Avg20.42). Sachin didn't played 3rd ODI so overall that's the average of last 7 ODI's Scores of Ricky ponting in last 10 ODI's as mentioned by @Sameer_Tatake : 0,31,63,10,11,2,1,6,2,7.(Avg 13.3) If RP was out becoz of poor form what did SRT so much to stay in team????? His average is 20.42 Now compare centuries of Sachin and Ponting when both are at almost at same score and balls too and ended differently SRT 65* (87b) to 114(147) SR= 77.05 against Bangladesh(Asia cup2012) RP 66*( 86b) to 104(118) SR = 88.13 against India(WC2011) India is better ranked than Bangladesh as we all know..I think you saw this post of mine earlier. I was literally not comparing, son don't just feel i was deceiving. I just was trying to show Sachin as bad too, because i could only get 7 innings i posted them.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 14, 2012, 11:27 GMT)

@coolindianfan on ...I got myself Scores of Sachin from criciinfo in last ODI series, CB series played in Australia: 2, 48, 15, 3, 22, 14, 39 (Avg20.42) it is not 23 a u mention please check yourself. Sachin didn't play 3rd ODI.But Scores of Ricky Ponting were given by @Sameer_Tatake 0,31,63,10,11,2,1,6,2,7.(Avg 13.3) . I mentioned last 7 innings of Sachin and 10 innings of Ricky, and it was not a perfect comparison i wanted to do nor i do wanted to cheat or deceive anyone. .Yes, Don't take Ricky average into account, just say one thing, is 20.42 average in 7 matches is enough for him to claim his place after he comes back? As simple as that .And one more question , where is scope of improvement if you skip tours and team order spoils . You come and go and not sure till when you play, is that a character of a legend??

Posted by   on (July 14, 2012, 10:42 GMT)

@ praveen4honestremark for any statistical analysis u need a sufficiently big sample space 7 performance in 1 CB series is way too small a sample space to make judjement on................U must take at least 20 innings to make decision on ........................If u take past 20 ODI innings for Sachin then his avg is 39 at a SR of 85 with 3 100s and 3 50s..................which is way better that Dravid's overall record and certainly among top 3 indian batsmen in past 2 yrs...........................Sachin's bad patches are ever better than avg players overall records..................Sachin's selfish innings are at a better S/R than avg players fully commited innings..............That is the competency of Sachin

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 14, 2012, 9:50 GMT)

dude ricky poinitng last 7 scores were like (1 to 7) 10,11,2,1,6,2,7 40 runs in 7 matches an average of just over 5 more so in cb series it is 18 runs in 5 matches an average of 3 and not 13.3 ,where the hell did u get ur stats from. plz look into cricinfo and dont lie and deceive people .More worrying was the manner in which he was batting .these are numbers not even the die hard fans can defend his selection after such performance . sachin as has an average of 23(160 runs in 7 matches) , bad but better then Pointing then by miles. "his image and also was cause of many losses for his records and was also incapable to adjust for team and think for the team." In my early post I have mentioned the Team work he did .It is not up tp the level of Kumble,Dravid and Kapil but u cant call him selfish just for that.His leaving odis is a chance for youngsters to grab but if no one grabs it is it sachins fault ? He averages well against Sri lanka and could have very well used the opportunity

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 14, 2012, 6:46 GMT)

@coolindianfan You are mistaken if u are feeling that i am not giving any credit for Sachin. I have been saying that SRT is a great player, playing and scoring so many and also it helped India, but he has damaged his image and also was cause of many losses for his records and was also incapable to adjust for team and think for the team. Let's see his performance in the CB series 2012. In this ODI's he has an average of 20.42 in last 7 games he played( 3rd ODI missed, it's not counted here).If Ricky ponting was removed for if he had 13.3 as avg then is Sachin average so good so that he can be retained in ODI format??? His pick and choose policy is very much as cause of worry for team.He has left many matches in ONE YEAR. Telling it was just to give chance for youngsters he left ODI is crap.He will come back again to enter team even with this mediocre average . Want to play again, then if Rahane plays with even avg 21, SRT is out, is that ok? How is his consciousnesses allowing him?

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 13, 2012, 18:49 GMT)

@ praveen4honestremark why r u talking as if for a Sachin fan like me cricket starts and ends at sachin. Dravid as a team man has done too much and I give full credit to him for that .Its a sad fact that India as a country hasent given him enough credit. .There are others as well like Kapil and Ganguly whose work has gone beyond the role of just being a batsmen . ". But what after all when he haven't played when India needed him, even that's my point" India always needed him its just that when sachin plays well we take it for granted and we feel that He played when there was no actual need of sachin .But Sachin as a batsmen has done India proud as well and it would be wrong not to give him credit as well. Sachin has also done some team work like shaping Yuvrajs career on and off the field .He purposely rested in odis after 200 vs south africa ,for almosrt a year for the team to carry on experimenting. He dropeed himself to 4 when Saurav and Sehwag used to open. And before wc 07

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 15:07 GMT)

@jb633 on (July 13 2012, 12:29 PM GMT)....Rightly said. Dravid was always player who made things quite easy for others and people who live in dreams just feel it's what is Sachin's greatness. Let them dream like that. They are happy the same way.

Posted by SatyajitM on (July 13, 2012, 12:50 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark, you are making some strange suggestions. The best forward in a soccer team need not grab the chance to become goal keeper for the team :-) In fact a good team (and it's coach, capatain) should try to utilize the player's strength to the fullest. You play with your strengths not with your weaknesses. Some people give the example of Dravid when he additionally took up wicket keeper role in ODI. It started at a time when his batting record (avg and strike rate) was not exciting and team mgt felt he has to take up additional responsibility to keep his place. Dravid did that and in fact played so well that after a while his position as a batsman was no more in question in the shorter version. You also seem to forget, Sachin was fairly successful bowler even five years back for the team and even now when he fields he isn't a laggard. There are few junior folks (like Ashwin and Munaf) who are much worse fielders.

Posted by jb633 on (July 13, 2012, 12:29 GMT)

@Puronkis, as I said there is more to cricket than simple statistics. I am not arguing these stats with you about averages. But if you look at the nitty gritty runs scored to set up Inidan wins on a green seamer, I think Dravid was the man. I remember at Headingley in 02 series he battled the 1st day out in seaming conditions to set the platform for Sachin to come and score a ton later. IMO I would not have him in a greatest XI. I can certainly see why people would, but I just don't think he has scored enough match winning runs for him to be in my side. I do respect the man though, but as a neutral observer he has become dull to watch. I have many English and Aussie friends who have been to the game and have commented on how let down they felt that he no longer lights up the grounds like he used to. This cannot be measured using figures, but Lara always did.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 8:34 GMT)

Cont). World cup is more than any personal milestones you achieve. He did it leading from the front even his batting line up failed very badly when it was 17/5 too.Calling buffoons is too easily a word to be spoken out from mouth but that same 11 eleven members make a team and you should know how to play with each other and inspire each other to do well , that's enough to become a best team. And Kapil's dedication towards team is enough to to call him has as Greatest sportsman and Greatest cricketer , Captain India has ever produced till now.

Posted by SatyajitM on (July 13, 2012, 8:27 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark, Kapil does have high place in my heart as well for his contribution. That's why he is no3 Indian cricketer in my list :-) His 175 in 83 WC was awesome and I also say he was one of the most gifted player in world cricket. But it would be a myth to say he or the team under him played great cricket all the time. India was badly beaten in almost all matches played just a few months after the 83WC against WI in India. He was excellent during 80-83 and very good till 87. However, he was quite average for a rather long period after that. Coming to great knocks, there was time during the match with Zim in WC where Zim looked like overtaking India's 263. But India had better bowlers in English cond at that time, so they could win the match. Had India lost, I would have still consider that 175 as one of the best knocks. The same way I consider Sachins 136 vs Pak in 99 and Sunny's 96 in 1987 as two of the best knocks I have ever seen, regardless of the match result.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 13, 2012, 8:10 GMT)

@coolindianfan: Hey man whats up: i love the fact that you have copied en exact previous post of mine and pasted it here. Thanks for taking notice:) But yeah I thought of that first hahaha:)

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 7:38 GMT)

@coolindianfan on (July 13 2012, 05:14 AM GMT) You will get that chances sometimes to exhibit that for India and you will have to grab that chances with both hands at least once out of them. Where you should feel, "yes, it's my time i can share my team mates burden and be a part of team".Rahul Dravid is such type. Who comes out of his zone and does great job to India. I saw Dravid playing even opening the batting in tests and keeping the wickets for team cause in ODI's. Opening when there was genuine opener Sachin not willing to take risk because he feels insecure even though it's matter of a single innings on a particular day. So big difference how Sachin and Dravid react to teams cause. Along with Dravid I like most is Kumble. He was great for taking up Challenges. Kumble's Antigua's Wonder, oh man!

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 7:30 GMT)

@coolindianfan on (July 13 2012, 05:14 AM GMT)... What i said about Kapil is that he is greatest Indian ever till now and so i was mentioning how a player should be inspire his team , you need not be a captain for that. Sachin played big innings, that's is fact. But what after all when he haven't played when India needed him, even that's my point. He was fluent playing nicely but when team cause came he never use to raise his hand for team.I heard Devillers keeping for SA in series against England now,so appealing to hear and felt for a moment, hey man we had a guy from modern era who always stood for team cause than a over rated player who just accumulates runs which is not a true indication how good you are. The real merit of a player is evident when he just takes up the challenge coming out of the safety zone where he always plays for India.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 7:15 GMT)

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 13, 2012, 5:21 GMT)

@jb63: You have said in your previous posts that Sachin is one of the true legends of the game and a great player but I think you are contradicting yourself when u say he is not one of the greatest ever.You are the very few people who doesnt think that he is one of the greatest of all time. I mean he is in the all time test eleven of most crciket experts, writers, including crcinfo's jury who placed him along with bradman and richards in middle order. Richie Benaud also placed sachin in the all time Eleven in 2005. If you say you dont like his batting enough to call him an time great, then fair -thats your personal choice. But tell me, are you saying he aint one of the best of them all because @) he has changed his game or B) He hasnt won india as many matches.. WELL THATS THE BIGGEST MYTH. HE AVERAGES MORE THAN DRAVID OVERALL, OVERSEAS, MORE IN WON MATCHES, HE HAS SURELY WON MORE ODIS THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE GAME WITH THE BAT, HE AVERAGES MORE THAN DRAVID IN 2 INNs ,more everwhere

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 13, 2012, 5:14 GMT)

@ praveen4honestremark there are some things players like Waugh and Kapil have done but sachin dint .But u rarely find a player who is perect.infact there is only few Bradman, Richards Clive llods. Below is the list of achievements that other current contemporary greats havent achieved Bradman 11 memeber, espn cricinfo 11, benauds 11 member, Sharjah classics ,world up 1996, 2003 , 2011, a test match record of batting average 54 in austarlia and england, 46 in sa,singlehandedly winning finals of Cb series 2008,Sydney 1992, perth-the best ever inns played in aus-still standing- 1992, old trafford matchsaving century 1990,chennai match winning ton where he decimated SKW-1998 vs aus,headingly 2002 veng-148 matchwinning again,capetown 2011 v steyn and morkel where he saved a test series for India almost winning it for them with an inns of 146,175 v australia in 2009, a beligerent double century in an odi against steyn and morkel,241 against aus at sydney 2004,163 against Nz to win series

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 13, 2012, 5:04 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark i have highest regards for kapil as a player and a captain Sachin hasent played an inning like kapil in wc.Captaincy wasent sachins strong points .But does it mean that if Sachin hasent done what kapil was able to do he is selfish . sachin has played better innings then Kapils 175 which sadly ended in losing cause ,So who is to be blamed Sachin or other indian players .

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 2:57 GMT)

Which ever place Kapil may have in all rounders and records but he surely has high place in every Indian,every cricket lover(team lover) heart very very high above than those who just aspire and play for themselves. Kapil the captain courageous led his team to one of the greatest win of all time to be placed in at 4th place among the top ten performances in Wisden batting Performance. He led the team from 17/5 position to a win over Zim in 1983 world cup and that is what you call as doing it single handedly. He scored 175 runs which helped India to win by 31 runs. He is a team man. Bowls, bats, fields ;and his name is in ICC hall of fame. He took the a great catch to send out Viv Richards in final. Where is this overhyped player Sachin in fielding and captaining and leading team from front?? Kapil is captain to won first World cup for us when world questioned us, can Indians do it? Dare devils Kapil and its team are. He led team from front .That is how a team man and his results look.

Posted by karthik_raja on (July 13, 2012, 2:54 GMT)

@jb633. i agree that u being English fan, Dravid has always done well against u(marginally ahead of SRT - even including his recent exceptional tour). Bt, I doubt if SA/Aus fans wud say the same. Coz, they know Dravid has not fared better against them in their home conditions. Thats exactly the strength of SRT. He can play in any conditions/any format consistently. Please don't bring further argument into this. Coz, I don't want to bring down Dravid's acheivements by comparing with SRT. Dravid himself is a legend and I respect him a lot. May b, u shud get the real meaning of entertainment. There r billions of cricket fans around d world and they know wt entertainment SRT brings to the game. Else, there won't b any rise in ticket sales(in Eng,Aus,SA even Pak) whn they know SRT is playing. Its a proven fact.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 13, 2012, 2:30 GMT)

@jb633 on (July 12 2012, 22:12 PM GMT)...Well said. Like it!!

Posted by jb633 on (July 12, 2012, 22:12 GMT)

@purokis, no of course it is always interesting to hear valid arguments and everybody has their own opinion. Personally, I think that Sachin was a better player in the 90's because he was striking at the same rate against better bowlers and on tracks more suited to bowling. I honestly do think in the 00's Dravid was the main man for Inida. As an English fan I always felt more relieved to see the back of Dravid than ST. I used to like watching him more than Lara, but I think with the introduction of Sehwag he changed his approach to the game. I do not think he won as many games for Inida than Dravid did (admittedly i do not have the stats to back this up). Sachin is a great, but I do not think he is one of the greatest ever. I think in cricketing terms entertainment value should be considered and I genuinely believe he has become an accumulator not an entertainer. It is not that i blame him entirely as his tennis elbow restricted much of his strokeplay.

Posted by Lovedegame on (July 12, 2012, 19:43 GMT)

Just judging by the amount of comments that have come in on a few (not interesting) questions answered by the great one it just goes to show "Love him or hate him you cant live without him"

Posted by rtruth on (July 12, 2012, 19:30 GMT)

Tendulkar has best class and technique in the history of the game. BUT The problem is , He chokes in pressure situation and he plays for his own records not for the country. Please this is the truth

Posted by montys_muse on (July 12, 2012, 19:13 GMT)

Dhoni's luck will be back with a bang this year as India will be playing all its series at home! LOL!

Posted by StatisticsRocks on (July 12, 2012, 19:12 GMT)

Yaaaaw...............wwwwnn....Sleeping...I wake up in 2020 ...What Still Tendulkar playing.. Yaaaaaaa..................awwnnnnnn and I go back to sleep.....not interested any more

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 12, 2012, 17:39 GMT)

Also He was agreat entertainer ? In the past? Which Batsman is more aesthitcally beautiful to watch today other than Sachin. Sure people like KP OR GAYLE may occasionally score a breathtaking century, But I am talking about proper great bastman. Looking at his career In his ENTIRETY, would you not say that SRT is proably the best along with Lara of his time. And Lara no matter how great and entertainer, teams wouldnt fear him coz they knew that rest of the WI team were mediocre like India were in the early 1990s. Sachin may not be the same player he was when he was 25, but who was? He has played for 23 yrs, and more than any other player in the history of the game. His strokemakign hasnt become mundane like chanderpaul or kallis' has it? And as Boycott once said, hasne he matured and become wiser with age and thus remianed AS EFFECTIVE?

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 12, 2012, 17:34 GMT)

@JB63: Sachin ha splayed more decisive knows in recent history than in the 1990s because he has had the support. I am a die hard sachin fan but I am not being fanatical here. Please do not get me wrong It has been very nice having a healthy fair debate with you and I would love to put my point across as much I like listening to yours. So overall, where would you rank Sachin considering his entire career. Dravid above him? Really? Look at their career stats carefully. Sachin has a much better all round record than any other player of his generation with the exception of Kallis.(Kallis is still weak in eng and Aus).I have seen a lot people speak of Sachin as being the best since bradman along with sobers, richards and Lara (Sachin just pips Lara IMHO).. But DESPITE being a huge admirer for Dravid, sometimes people jump on the gun too much and are unfair to SRT I feel as his overall overseas record is much better than Dravids and he has been more consistent than Dravid.:) Await yours

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 12, 2012, 17:28 GMT)

@jb563 : Do you honestly think sachin's strokeplay has become as tedious so as to compare him to dravid? The difference in their strikerate is about 12/100 balls. Would you honestly say that his stroke making is less attractive than dravids? Could you tell me one instance except for his 100th 100 where his odi 100 strike rate has been less than 90? In msot cases, after 2008, people have marvelled at his remarkable resurgence and the tendulkar of old. Agreed, he went thru a period from 2004-2007 where he was tedious a bit maybe due to a lot of reasons. But would you say the same about him from 2008-2011? He has made it to the all time eleven of cricnfo selected by an international jury of 14 members. Would you not say then that the overall consensus of his full career is that he stands in the highest echelon of batting greats? Lets not kid oursleves about this "matchwinning" thing. Lara coulndt have played matchwinng knocks cause WI team was abysmal.Not lara's fault. but still.

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 17:14 GMT)

Sachin has proved that he also a human need to concentrate to his family also..

Posted by SatyajitM on (July 12, 2012, 16:27 GMT)

@sandy_bangalore, Kapil and Vinoo Mankad are probably among top 10 player India produced. I would put Kapil at third and Mankad somewhere between 6th to 8th. Top two spots would go to Sachin and Sunny respectively. One of the mail reasons Kapil is behind is becuase of pretty ordinary last six years (out of sixteen he played for the country). Consider this, he collected only 2.8 wickets per match for the last six years, whereas a good bowler is expected to get 4 wickets per match (which he did for first 75 tests in initial years). He was one of most naturally talented player (and my childhood hero) but could not maintain same performance througout. In the mid eightees Kapil was as good as Imran as allrounder, but by the end of career the gap widened. That's why when a discussion on best allrounders is done now, Imran is taken quite seriously but Kapli never figures in the top 5 :-(

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 15:46 GMT)

Time for BCCI to manage its players. They need to select different teams for different formats. Firstly, I think Sachin should play his last one day series against England but continue to play in the Tests. Yuvi should (despite being an excellent one day batsmen) should find place in the Tests and T20s. Sehwag and Gambhir should be allowed to play only Tests and T20s. Dhoni should prove his worth in the Tests and I guess he should quit T20s after the T20WC. Rohit, Raina, Shikhar Dhawan, Ambati Rayudu, Ajinkya Rahane should be natural choices for one days and T20s. Laxman, Pujara, Parthiv Patel, Zaheer, Ojha, Ashwin, Yadav should be confined to Tests alone.

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

I dont condemn him setting his eyes, or anyone else, for that matter as long as it reinforces the collective efforts of the group you are part of, on any record, my contention, however, is why to prevaricate the truth. You had been bold enough while facing myriad pace bowlers on many ungainly tracks, why not be in the same elements when it comes to accept the personal aspirations. I never saw Tendulkar acknowledging his contemporary peers from all across the world. I remember him always eluding smartly as and when any comments were asked on Kallis, or Ponting, or Dravid, for that matter,particularly, whenever the question touches upon the felicity of his opinion regarding their place in current dynamics of the game.

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 14:26 GMT)

Treat to watch, technically flawless, elegance and tenacity personified together...and even more superlatives and adjectives will do no service to the greatest "magician" ever. I, however, beg to differ for a while. And its not about casting aspersions over little master's batting abilities(its another matter altogether though that there have been better players than him in the crisis situations), its rather about his attitude, his demeanor. I somehow find Tendulkar's humility quite a cosmetic exercise whereby he posits himself to be somewhat different individual from what he actually is. I mean, there is no speck of doubt about his greatness, then why on earth do you need to paint yourself in different mould. There had been numerous occassions when he vehemently countered any hint or allusion as to him being going after this or that personal milestone. In reality, however, he could be seen putting his head to toe for the same objective. I dont condemn him setting his eyes, or a

Posted by jb633 on (July 12, 2012, 14:15 GMT)

@sandy_bangalore, agreed. Cricket is about winning as a team. The greatest players have won games time and again. Personal milestones should always be secondary. Sachin of 90's= legend, Sachin post 2004/5= stodgy accumulater.

Posted by jb633 on (July 12, 2012, 14:12 GMT)

@puronkis- no I stand by what I said, Sachin has become tedius. I am not denying the stats that he has done well. If you are arguing the point from a purely statistical perspective then Sachin is the master. The same can be said for Kallis. Both are great players, Sachin was a great entertainter, now he is a great accumulater. Listen to what Gavaskar has said about the change in his approach I am not just making this stuff up. praveen4honestremark has some valid points I think people are blinded because they see Sachin as a demi God. Sachin is a great batsmen, but is he really the best ever seen? Has he destroyed attacks like Lara did and won games on his own. I know these comments will be unpopular, but people give Sachin so much leeway it is unreal. Dravid was the best Indian batsmen of modern times. Sachin is 2nd. Kallis is a brilliant cricketer. But is he one of the best ever? No.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 12, 2012, 13:43 GMT)

@karthik_raja on (July 12 2012, 11:13 AM GMT)...I was talking about his role in team. It's now time that he should be removed. That was my point. Ponting has ever been a great contributor to team when team really needs him, that's what i was trying to put there. I even now respect Sachin but that doesn't mean he is a really a good player to help team and realize team values. Period.

Posted by NGKannan on (July 12, 2012, 13:18 GMT)

SatyajitM, we have a batting order to score 303 against SL and chasing 300 plus agianst PAK. Then why we are not able to score against BAN?? Everybody knows we are not so strong with ball. Didn't Sachin know that while wasting time for his 100th hundred?

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 12, 2012, 12:55 GMT)

@sandy_bangalore: Accumulating runs. Thats what everyone does right? What has Kapil Dev done? Lol. Your logic is ridiclous and you are letting perosnal favourites affect your cricketing judgement. And dont give me rubbish that he hasnt played when it matters You cant expect sachin to win you every match especially he ehas a team full of bafoons in the 1990s. please qualify ur statemnts as they are pretty outlandish.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 12, 2012, 12:51 GMT)

sandy_bangalore ..vinooo and kapil better than sachin? Seriously? I mean are you even aware of what YOU are talking? Just because they are all rounders? sorry but sachin is far and away the greatest sportsman India has ever had. Just coz u dont like his fame and wealth and success, you cant make ridiculously bias judgemtns just cause players from the past lived a simpler life. You must be completely unaware and a complete novice as far cricket watching is concerned ...@ JB63: YOU SURE DONT WANT ME TO HIGHLIGHT SACHIN'S EXCEPTIONAL RECORD OUTSIDE INDIA AND OUTSIDE THE SUBCONITNENT WHERE HE AVERAGED MORE THAN 55! And iif you say he is tedious to watch... u clearly hvent watched any of his inns in australia even in India's disastrous tours- or the couple of half centuries in englans which were as fluent as ever.. Tedious? He has scored 5 150s in ODIs in the past 3 yrs. Agreed he has had a rough past year by his lofty standards but TEDIOUS? YOU MUST BE JOKING.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 12, 2012, 11:48 GMT)

@sandy_bangalore on (July 12 2012, 10:28 AM GMT)..Thanks for naming two Indian greats. Kapil dev i knew but i heard Vinoo Mankad for first time after you said. Exceptional talent he is as you said, a ever green all rounder.He is one of the three cricketers to have batted in every position, from the first to the last, during his Test career. I read about his just now. Thanks again.

Posted by karthik_raja on (July 12, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark. Abt ur comparison of centuries scored by SRT and Ponting, if SRT's 77+ strike rate is not enuf for low ranked(as u say) BD, then Ponting shud hv known that his 88+ strike rate will not help against high ranked(as u say) Ind. Isn't it..?? If thats the case, Aus media/fans shud hv jumped on Ponting for palying selfishly which had cost them the WC(the trophy ranked higher than Asia cup). Bt, they didn't. Coz, they know how to respect the performances. I will repeat, 290 is a defend able target against (low ranked) BD. Its our listless bowling performance which cost the match. Not the SRT's century. As I said b4, come up with better stats/points to prove ur (il)logical theory.. :)

Posted by sandy_bangalore on (July 12, 2012, 10:28 GMT)

Some of the guys writing here saying "The greatest cricketer ever" needs to have some knowledge of cricket first. Do the names, Sir Garrfield Sobers or Jacques Kallis ring a bell. Not even the greatest cricketer India has produced actually. That would easily go to either of Vinoo Mankad or Kapil Dev. Accumulating runs dosent exactly equate to being the 'greatest ever'.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 12, 2012, 10:07 GMT)

India is better ranked than Bangladesh as we all know. Overall it's just can come to conclusion that Sachin is just over hyped than actually he is now.

Posted by Alkais on (July 12, 2012, 9:54 GMT)

Guys, enough of this talk " Sachin still loves the game. He is still." Its high time, he retires from the game. He is denying the same opportunities he got to the youngsters on the wings. There could be a case where , when he retires, that youngster would have passed his learning yrs. Somebody should tell him, boy its time to stop. Sachin is being selfish by continuing playing cricket. Selectors has to take decision. No matter, hw well sachin is playing now, its time for him to hang his boots with grace rather than selectors push him out. Indian selectors needs to be gutsy. But I dont see anybody have that guts to tell Sachin. Come on Sachin, its high time to give chances to youngsters. If you want to win IPL Trophy, u can play only IPL matches. But dont deny the chances of youngsters.

Posted by jb633 on (July 12, 2012, 9:45 GMT)

@puronkis, yeah you say his strike rate has remained the same but his attacking instincts have been reigned in. Just read the article and ST's own assessment of his batting. The only reason Sachin is safer is because India produce pitches that offer absolutley nothing to the bowlers, with quick outfields and small boundaries. I am not suggesting he is not a top bat because he is a legend, but he is no God. Statistics only tell half the story (why Kallis is never submitted into an all time XI). I used to love Sachin but now he is tedius to watch. I am not having a go at him because he has amassed a record number of 100's but as a neutral, I think Lara, Warne, Ambrose and Dravid are the more influential players of the modern era.

Posted by SatyajitM on (July 12, 2012, 8:29 GMT)

Guys, there is no point responding to folks like praveen4honestremark with logics as some people decide not to be logical and keep ranting about. Talking about that "Contoversial" 100, regardless of the fact that both batsmen playing good knocks (Kohli and Sachin) felt a score of 270-290 would be good enough and eventually they got it, ragardless of the fact that every other team in the tournament (SL, Pak) won matches whenever they scored more that 240 against the same opposition(Ban), the fault has to be Sachin's!

Posted by Sameer_Tatake on (July 12, 2012, 7:48 GMT)

1) Two Top performers in ODI SRT & Viv Richards 2) For people blaming him selfish for not coming down the order: Every person has a role in a team or organization. e.g. our PM scored as FM but failed as PM, CEO cannot do a job of COO/CFO or company suffers. 3) Every person has a good day and bad day. A bowler can bowl a very good spell and a batsman has to slow down. Even Sir Aggy bowled a dream spell in Aus to win a Test Match 4) If I score 80 in 60 balls, then I have leverage to score 20 in next 40 balls so that I maintain the strike rate of 100. Whats wrong in slowing down near 100 when you know you can accelerate later and score big? Its called calculated innings 5) RP had to retire from ODIs because of his dismal form. His last 10 innings are 0,31,63,10,11,2,1,6,2,7. Avg 13.3. Also RPs slow 100 in WC which cost AUS the match. If he had accelerated and not played for 100, AUS might have posted 300+ and might have won. Is RP the most selfish as he did it in WorldCup

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 7:15 GMT)

Out of 97 comments 7 comments are against the genius

Posted by karthik_raja on (July 12, 2012, 7:03 GMT)

@himanshu.team. May b, u shud read my post again. If u still can't understand wt I am trying to convey, lemme know. I will explain u in detail. I will never say SRT a selfish..

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 6:59 GMT)

Himanshu.team u got the wrong person kartic- raja is a die hard srt fan it is that praveen chap who is the one

Posted by Jack_Tka on (July 12, 2012, 6:07 GMT)

Sachin is a great batsman, but not a great team-player. Indian team has benifitted by the runs he scored for himself. Two incidents: (1) He was very vocal in a certain TEST match where he was intending to score 250, but Rahul Dravid, as a captain made a declaration. (2) In England, Rahul Dravid batted till the end of First Innings, and cam back again as an opener to bat in the SECOND INNINGS. I still believe, somebody else should have opened the innings, that somebody meaning: Tendulkar. NO ONE ELSE among the team(at that time) had ever opened the innings either in ODI or TEST during that test except Tendulkar. And there is no point in sending a Rookie to open in a pressure situation when you have GREATs in the TEAM.

Posted by himanshu.team on (July 12, 2012, 5:37 GMT)

Karthik_raja: Just about anything can be proven right AND wrong by statistics. It is just a matter of chosing the right sample. You chose the 100s scored in losing cause and the strike rate between 70-100 in such games. Do you have any idea that in such situations wickets are falling at other end. So you need the regular batsman to hold his fort. He must drop anchors, play safe and ensure that he himself does not get out so that the team may not get into even more trouble. But surely the objective of your exercise is to paint Sachin as a selfish person. I for one would say, if he was so selfish and did not play for the team, he would never have got the respect and love of everyone: teammates, opposition, past greats, journalists, experts everyone! There is a bigger reason for that. A reason that people like yourself, who can not digest true greatness, will never understand.

Posted by rofl on (July 12, 2012, 5:10 GMT)

All round great guy..we are lucky to have you in the Indian team!

btw can anyone tell me what is with his new hair style nowadays..it scuks big time!

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 12, 2012, 4:34 GMT)

@ praveen4honestremark u clearly mentioned in ur earlier comments that he is selfish .his 100 against bd was slow so u think he is selfish . ill tell u one incident that will definately put an end to the debate .In wc 11 against westindies the appeal for his caught behind was turned down by the empire but he felt he was out and he simply walked.That wouldnt be the case in which if he was selfish.After the wc all players dedicated the wc to him. that wouldnt be the case if he was selfish right.i do agree his 100 against bd wasent the best ,but think about it if we couldnt defend 290 when pak managed to defend 230.isint that a question mark on our bowling .if sachin has an off day he is criticized .but if bowlers have an off day it is understandable.why?

Posted by Number1CricketFan on (July 12, 2012, 3:55 GMT)

Sachin Tendulkar and Mahela Jayawardene are two of the best and elegant batsmen in the world today. once they retire, the world will realise how much we wish them

Posted by   on (July 12, 2012, 3:14 GMT)

keep on playing keep entertaining us...u little champion..love u

Posted by karthik_raja on (July 12, 2012, 3:04 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark. Whn u mean "Scoring bulk of runs" won't take the team to greater heights, yes. obviously, no further discussion can b made. Just 1 question. Can u statistically prove ur statement.?? I can statistically prove that u r wrong. Lets take the list hundred's scored by him. Esp in losing cause and that too in second innings(coz, that gives more picture abt his selfishness rite? If u feel other way, well, put up ur stats instead of just bad mouthing.). And check his strike rate between his scores of 70 to 100. there r 3 such hundreds in losing cause while chasing. 2 of thm being very famous. 143 against Aus in Sharjah. I bet, u wil hv no question abt that. The second 175 against Aus in Hyd. He crossed 70 in 65th ball and reached 100 in 81st ball. So, 16 balls for that 30 runs. SR almost 200. And the other century, He has taken 29 balls for that 30 runs(77 to 106). No big difference in SR. Infact he has accelerated more in that period compared to pre-70 session. got it??

Posted by rvfrano on (July 12, 2012, 1:43 GMT)

My favourite batsman of all times. A great batsman and yet so humble.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 12, 2012, 1:23 GMT)

@on (July 11 2012, 21:14 PM GMT).....It's simple when you cannot play for team, please get down.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 12, 2012, 0:35 GMT)

@coolindianfan on (July 11 2012, 17:45 PM GMT)...I blame people who are capable of but still worry about that elusive hundreds and slow down. It's been the opponents target to slow down runs when he comes near 100. Blaming bowlers is bad. When you had things in control you wasted so many bowls for hundred. First this guy is incapable to play fast, just because of hundred if not the score would have been near 330 against BD. Every day is not ours, some times bowlers may get hit. And once batting innings is over we should be get feeling that what was in our hands we tried to do best. But that didn't happen when he thinks about his 100. When we see an innings we should feel , yes these guys did their best; tried their best to get as many runs as possible as there was good platform to score above 300 easily for pinch hitters to come after him.

Posted by Mary_786 on (July 12, 2012, 0:33 GMT)

Champion batsman who will retire when he is ready. Enjoy it while he is there because all cricket fans will miss him when he retires

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 23:46 GMT)

Sachin is still India's best batsamn. Who is knocking on the door to replace him? If the bowling does not come good, batting alone can't save them. They won the world cup because the bowling could be exposed only for 50 overs and the batting was good insurance. In test matches, bowling 100+ overs is a problem, which is why the losses in England and Australia happened. The bowling made Ponting look good when he is not that good any more. The bowling is too undisciplined and it appears there is no strategy in attacking opposing batsmen or the bowling just cannot execute such strategy.

Posted by landl47 on (July 11, 2012, 23:05 GMT)

Sachin has been a great player and a wonderful ambassador for the game. His problem now is one he can't do anything about; he's 39. His performances over the last year have dropped off; he couldn't make his 100th international hundred against England or Australia and had to wait for the more modest Bangladesh bowling to reach the target. That would have been the perfect time for him to retire, because if he carries on I'm afraid he will be just ordinary. That would be sad for one of the true legends of the game.

Posted by kumarcoolbuddy on (July 11, 2012, 22:52 GMT)

@MZEEM, can you prove us if he is zero in overseas?

Posted by bigdhonifan on (July 11, 2012, 22:49 GMT)

SACHIN CRITICS HAVE A POINT TO PROVE, NOT SACHIN. Greates Batsman of ALL TIME.

Posted by asiacricket1234 on (July 11, 2012, 21:16 GMT)

TBH its a pointless interview. He have answered these question so many time with the same answer. Only "This interview was conducted in Herzogenaurach, Germany, at the headquarters of Adidas, where Tendulkar placed the shoes he wore during his 100th century in the Adidas walk of fame" this bit is interesting in this interview LOL

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 21:14 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark I fail to understand what your argument is here. You are accusing a batsman for scoring runs.Also when you accuse that he is not scoring to his potential you definitely have high standards for Sachin. Also I am curious to know who the other legends are that you claim so well for the team.

My take on this, befor 2003 WC he was in his 20s and he was attacking more. That is what the team needed. After 2003 Sehwag made in roads into the team and started doing what Sachin used to do before. So Sachin took a backstep and started playing with controlled Aggression.

Stop accusing a batsman for scoring runs and a bowler for taking too many wickets.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 20:44 GMT)

Sachin has not pretty much ticked all the boxes along with many his compatriots. The glaring ones missing are Test series wins in Australia and South Africa which we have not been able to do ever. He had a golden chance to do it last time around but we all know what happened there.

Posted by bigdhonifan on (July 11, 2012, 19:40 GMT)

No DRS... we know what D/L method (English invention) is doing.. first stop D/L method and accept VJD method...

Posted by deepesh.mittal on (July 11, 2012, 19:40 GMT)

[Continued] It was media n ppl who criticized him for complete one year for not hitting 100th 100, but actually when it came ppl start looking selfishness in that particular inning. No one in india talks about bowling performances, we lost test matches in australia and england because of our bowling as well,our bowlers are not capable of taking 20 wkts, we lost aganist bangladesh in aisa cup from a situation when bangladesh required 124 in 84 balls, however 289 was a perfect total for bangladesh, it was bowlers who are responsible for that defeat. We never talk abt bowling department in which we are struggling from so many years. For wining a match, atleast one of batting or bowling should click but it won't be like for wining batting shuld click every time irrespective of bowling. I think calling sachin a selfish man is like abusing his contribution of last 23 years which he made for the country.No one should tell him when he has to retire.

Posted by deepesh.mittal on (July 11, 2012, 19:37 GMT)

Lot of ppl out here wants sachin to get retire so that new youngster can replace him but no one has suggested any names who can actually replace sachin will be able to face australia in australia. If we talk about india's recent worst performance it was in australia...in that series sachin was the 2nd highest scorer after virat kohli...while gambhir,shewag, dravid, dhoni, laxman(our test specialist specially against Australia) performed below average but no one talks about any of these players. As far as one day is concerned youngsters got fair chance to perform for which sachin, gambhir, shewag played under rotation to create a place for extra youngster due to which rohit,raina,jadeja,ashwin,vinay, irfan all got complete series to play but each of them performed below average. I am talking abt only australia series becoz it was the recent one, if I start talking abt sachin prev contributions then 1000 words would be very less..!! [continued]

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 18:57 GMT)

the last line was very much intersting

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 18:14 GMT)

Sachin should be forced to retire from ODIs. He is not going to make the next world cup and India needs to build for that, exactly like Australia does. He said he only wants to play with people who are willing to do anything they're told to achieve success...looking from the outside in, it only looks like Sachin, Kumble and Dravid were like that. What does he think about Sehwag and Yuvraj

Posted by torsha on (July 11, 2012, 18:10 GMT)

I have a lot respect for Sachin than I had ever before. It really hurts me when people say that he is playing for records. The passion he has for cricket is just unbelievable and the people who haven't suffered pain, struggle and competition in their life, will never going to understand about his game and his attitude towards cricket. There won't be any player like him in future. So till he is there, please enjoy the game of cricket and stop criticizing. He is the BEST cricketer in the WORLD!

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 18:03 GMT)

Sachin always scores runs. he always does. even in recent series in England and Australia. he was the only batsmen in touch but never carried because no-one played alongside him. Its not always his fault, but who else can you blame it on, he is the best indian batsmen and most experienced too. Its easy to blame him. look at the stats and kind of team he was playing with. Imagine SRT in Australian team playing alongside gilly, warne, pointing, Hayden and magrath. they would have never lost. SRT would have played with more freedom. but the indian team he played with always flatters when he fails, we have seen this so many times no one can deny that, May be SRT wants to play as many overs as he can, to make sure india dont lose the game cuz if he fails you know they will unless there is yuvraj who could stop the deafeat. its my opinion but do see the stats.

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 11, 2012, 17:51 GMT)

The difference between Sachins critics and sachin is that they want to prove a point to someone and Sachin -"'I've never wanted to prove anything to anyone'".that is the hallmark of a great person and only a fool will question his status as a player

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 11, 2012, 17:45 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark dude there is some relevance in ur point of slowing down on 100 but the only example is that of his 100th 100 but that is it.It would be unfair to blame sachin for the loss his overall strike rate was 78 (and mind u that is all that counts)and virats strike rate was 80 in that match .in that case virat is as much to be blamed as Sachin is .Also did u notice that we couldnt defend 290 while pak defended 230 on the same ground against the same team .dosent that give u a bigger picture.It is human to feel the pressure of an event unlikely to be replicated again.if that is not enough ill give u another situation in the same match.we had to defend 36 runs in 18 balls,in 1 over pathan leaked 17 in the next P Kumar leaked 14 .who is to be blamed? Sachin.Sachin has not been performing well in aus and Eng series ,but his performance wasent pathetic just bad.and mind u better then most of his team mates

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 17:32 GMT)

@Vimalan Sadhasivam on (July 11 2012, 14:02 PM GMT)...It's not the complete ODI strike rate i am talking about. Counting the calibre Sachin have he should play well even when he arrives near 70's. But sadly he takes more than 50 balls even for that 30 runs, that's not any one of the legends take. And it's not a case of single match. He is been the same from some years, you can have a check yourself. Thank you.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 17:17 GMT)

@coolindianfan on (July 11 2012, 16:35 PM GMT)....Selfish theory?? I haven't made any or i never made any. But the fact remains is that he never played well upto his standards when he comes near to century. He may have done some things that might have helped but not to forgotten that he never was proactive to think about team before himself. If he would have thought for a team then he would have not wasted so many deliveries when playing against BD ; it was just to get century and assume he would have played a little faster then he would surely would have been helpful in putting a unreachable score for BD's. He may have lost a hundred in the process but ever remembered for getting Asia cup as didn't slow down near hundred. He just thinks about himself and it bound to happen the same way anytime he plays for himself.

Posted by Cricketfan101 on (July 11, 2012, 17:12 GMT)

People i know its good to give youngsters a chance but all the greats retire at the same time there will no one to give advice to the youngsters and give tips and use there expirence to help so dont ask all the great to retire and lets face it dhoni,gambhir, sehwag not going to be able to give good test match advice

Posted by jay_vkjay on (July 11, 2012, 17:10 GMT)

Sachin is one among a few players in India who can choose between series. He is not going to Sri lanka for a pointless bilateral series. That's OK.I think once he got one more hundred and four fifties in ODI's he will quit ODI,because that will make 50 hundreds & 100 fifties.Almost untouchable feet.But for his 49th ODI hundred(100th overall) he made a 114(147) well below par for a batsman of his caliber.And I strongly believe that this slow innings(even in a good batting track) cost India the match against Bangladesh and finally led to an early exit in Asia cup.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 16:56 GMT)

@Sayantan Bhattacharya on (July 11 2012, 15:14 PM GMT)..... He loves cricket and just is playing cricket because of that, there is no doubt in that. And you saying he played match after his father death.When emotions run high you tend to do something for your loved ones who wanted to see you play well. Even Sachin did the same. He dedicated that innings for his father. Dedication towards team and playing for team demands is completely different which you cannot relate this to his father incident.Having said this it's too complex to talk about his father incident here. So let's leave it aside. Thank you.

Posted by soumik on (July 11, 2012, 16:54 GMT)

With all due respect please retire soon and don't think about how India will fair without you.Not a single great player was replaced properly in the history of cricket but that was not an excuse for any one of them to retire in the first place.This is not tennis or golf where your opinion counts.This is a team game and you are represeting your country so you can't pick and choose,rather you should be ready to represent your country whenever asked for.If you are not,please retire with grace and stop the mockery of nationalism.We've seen enough of it anyway.

Posted by Vkarthik on (July 11, 2012, 16:50 GMT)

He was with his family for 2 months.. he wants 2 more months? At his age this is bit ridiculous to pick and choose series he wants to play. For christsake you are playing for your country. He used to be very professional. Nowadays he just finds means and ways to prolong his cricketing career as long as possible. Frankly it is doing no good to Indian side. There is no such thing as "less important ODIs" or "more important ODIs" (unless you play against very weak sides like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. Manoj Tiwary made a 100.. That's it never got a chance to play for India again. Same with Rahane's chances.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 16:44 GMT)

we are not playing over seas in next 10-12 months its right time for sachin to allow youngsters set in and feel secure about their place in the side rather than uselessly playing for records..... its better if sachin should retire and let other youngster (not that young) to get a chance..... all of them are average 24 years old and 2 more years they will not be considered by bcci giving reasons as they are no more under the young bracket...... its too selfish for sachin to play further.....

Posted by coolindianfan on (July 11, 2012, 16:35 GMT)

@ praveen4honestremark"The only thing that happened and happening is that he aspired for himself and due process India benefited a little but most times we lost for his selfish Hundreds he made, with thinking of 100 only and wasting balls when nearing century." dude get a life when dravid and pointing were out of form they looked up to sachin .I dont know about ur home made theorem of wasting balls . it is a far cry from reality .he is the only batsmen to reach century by hitting 6s 6 times .he dosent score that slowly for sure . try taking into consideration that he had 54 100s in winning causes ,not many players ull find with such records.and why is it just abt 100s there were innumerable 80s and 90s which gave us victories ,even 50s and even quick 30s and 40s .dont forget he can also ball.on 1 occasion he won the match with bowling 6 runs needed and we won because of him ,when will u take that into consideration.the indian team dedicated the wc to him that puts to ur selfish theory

Posted by ansram on (July 11, 2012, 16:26 GMT)

I have to admit I was a very big fan of Sachin in the 90s, that selfless daring kid was an eighth wonder of the world. In his second half he has hardly played match winning test knocks, especially in away conditions, inspite of his illustrous colleagues doing so, and has essentially focussed on personal landmarks. I am afraid to say that Sachin has hurt his legacy of late, and has lost many diehard fans recently, and has been a selfish player over the last decade or so. He was a Richards like player early on but increasingly started playing for himself. Yeah, he never wanted to prove anything, he never tried to prove that he was a big match winner like Lara. He should have called it a day after the WC cup, his dragging on is just selfish pursuit of records. Team India would not benefit from this, and he is going to hurt the prospects of a few upcoming stars. If India has plans to field him in WC 2015, it makes sense to let him play, else no sense in it.

Posted by Master01 on (July 11, 2012, 16:22 GMT)

Greatest cricketer the world has seen. bar none. How many 16 year olds could face up to Waquar and Wasim? We have been priveleged to see him play

Posted by Lovedegame on (July 11, 2012, 16:18 GMT)

I agree with @ praveen4honestremark on getting slow nearing his hundred s like we saw in the Asia cup which cost the match in turn the series and i also dislike the way SRT later says that he does not play for records that is total crap. Though i still ove him for all the greatness achieved all the Stats he has does not only belong to him but also to India. Last thing speaking about his form if you want to watch a coaching text book of cricket in a video YOU WATCH SRT, when he bats now days he looks unbeatable pleasure to watch and i wish he goes on 4 ever. One last thing i know for a fact now that he has achieved all records he will bat with freedom and not slow down near a 100 of course until its like 150 centuries or a big landmark .LOL

Posted by prashant1 on (July 11, 2012, 16:08 GMT)

Sachin AKA God FOREVER !!!!!

Posted by mukesh_LOVE.cricket on (July 11, 2012, 15:54 GMT)

One more meaningless interview , for all his talent in batting sachin tendulkar continues to play for himself , its easy to speak big words in a press conference or interview anyone can do it , but when his cricketing actions are analyzed we see a different picture

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 15:50 GMT)

Despite being a huge fan of Sachin - I have to say, this was a fairly pointless interview full of standard, dull questions. The most interesting part of the interview was the last bit of info about his shoes .. Enough said!

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 15:27 GMT)

Sachin is a true legend.Humble and classy. His record says for himself.A Fan from Pakistan

Posted by akpy on (July 11, 2012, 15:17 GMT)

@puneet...i cannot get this argument from you and some others about sachin ruining someone else's chance - and yet, he skips lesser priority ODI tours like SL precisely to give youngsters an opportunity of the international stage and yet, he gets criticised then too !! Didnt he give up his 20-20 spot,when clearly in 2007 and even now, he is a readymade pick for any 20-20 team, bcos he can give a flying start !! In a year, India plays 30 ODIs and sachin plays about 10 of those and IS giving chance to youngsters already !! Bottom line is perf and in the last many years, his only ODI failure was in Australia when he threw away some starts (both in tests and ODIs) which he normally converts. He was top score for India in WC too ahead of viru, gauti, virat, etc.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 15:14 GMT)

@praveen - "I never saw him doing any favour for team India." You are pretty myopic in your opinion about SRT. Recall 1999 WC in England. Sachin's father passed away during the WC. In spite of that, he chose to continue playing for India in the tournament in total dedication to the team and cricket. If that is not a testimony of his love for Indian cricket, then I can sight plenty other examples.

Posted by rtruth on (July 11, 2012, 14:55 GMT)

You have already proved that you play only for records. It is crystal clear.

Posted by akpy on (July 11, 2012, 14:49 GMT)

@ryanharris...bradman was never part of an australian team that won in India, because he never toured india; so, is it a blot in his career? Sachin not being a part of indian team that won in aus/sa is disappointing for indian team as a whole but churlish to hold against any one member in a team game...Lara, Hadlee, Botham, etc never won WC - so, arent they great players? get some perspective mate !!

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 14:45 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark: I am not sure why you are raising the massive strike rate dip in the 90's as a concern. Other greats like Ponting strike rate has dipped massively when he has crossed the 90-figure mark. Instance is second test match at Sydney against India. To me, massive strike rate dip is something not a compelling argument. As for Sachin being picky about matches, he wants to preserve himself for 2 more years. He is no longer a young bloke and not getting any younger. Which means, it is a chance to an youngster. The reason why he had made himself available for australia, england (but could not play) and asia cup is that the matches were played out of India. Moreover, he does not get to spend much time with his children and this is the right time for him being picky and that is why he had opted out of this series. Fair enough I would say mate

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

oh Common guys.. Give hime a break. Stop weening about his 100's and his approach towards 100's. Remeber the number of times he got out in nineties. if he was just luking for his 100's he could have easily made them. Its like saying that you guys never over work wen ur boss is around ur desk. Every person wants to get to a milestone wen he works his ass off. It ain't a crime!! And abt his retirement, he is gud enough to decide abt it. Remeber he has carried the burden of the nation for 23 yrs and its time u hav some respect abt it. He has done what none of the billions of ppl(in INDIAN) could do!!

Posted by MZEEM on (July 11, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

"He never wanted to prove anything to anyone," I think he is right. He always played for his ownself to prove to himself for the records, not for the country. A hero in India and zero in overseas.

Posted by henchart on (July 11, 2012, 14:32 GMT)

This man will never announce his retirement.He has to be eased out .Who knows he might be nurturing a desire to play for India till he is 45 and also alongside his son and that would be some record,given the fact he is crazy about records ,even if he screams from rooftop that he isnt.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 14:08 GMT)

@bvnathan on (July 11 2012, 13:24 PM GMT)..I have no personal grudge against him. Even i liked him. But not now,when he started playing for himself.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 14:05 GMT)

@Divakar Chandrasekhar V ....Going for hundred is not bad. But he takes more than 50 odd balls for his last 30 runs. Unusual. No one is so bad at it than Sachin.He is just so involved in his hundred that team no where comes near his mind.He should just free his arms and hit runs not thinking too much when he is at 70's. He may as well get out but that runs he scores will be valuable than the 30 runs he scores in 50 balls when there are plenty of batsman yet to come. As an Indian cricket team fan it hurts me, because i want Indian team score be secure enough to win there. It happened many a times when he comes near century and after all i see matches for India team win not for Sachin hundred.

Posted by Outside_Off_Stump on (July 11, 2012, 14:03 GMT)

The sooner Sachin retires the better for Indian cricket. And Dhoni has to go as well.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 14:02 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark, Mr honest guy, can you prove with proper stat your hypothesis of Sachin's strike rate going down nearing a century. Just check the so called legends like Lara, Ponting, Dravid et all their overall ODI strike rate and compare that with Sachin. Do you know he holds the world record of hitting a century by 6s in test cricket ?

Posted by shaantanu on (July 11, 2012, 14:00 GMT)

with all his cricketing talent he could contribute immensely to indian cricket by grooming kids instead of becoming a RS MP.sachin is also not known to voice his opinions like some other cricketers.so i wonder how much he will contribute being an MP.worst decision ever by sachin.even worse than his decision to skip series and not retiring.Mind it i have been an ardent follower of sachin just like any other indian and i respect him for all his achievements.but i wonder why our greats cannot take a call on retirement at the right time.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 13:59 GMT)

Rahul Dravid has just retired and the team hasn't even found his replacement yet... It would be selfish of Sachin to retire right now for the sake of his 'legacy' and leave the team in more trouble! Good on the legend for continuing to be a "team man"!

Posted by mark2011 on (July 11, 2012, 13:54 GMT)

I think @praveen4honestremark is fiar comment. it is a analytical think.it is true when century is near SRT is bit more cautios and take more ball to reach there.. it is true.. if you check stats. it will be found!!.. no body shud be heart broken by this... it is a fact!!

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 13:53 GMT)

@puneet_usa, so what you are saying is because Sachin is playing lot of players suffered due to the one slot occupied by Sachin whereas there are 10 more slots available in the team. since Ganguly retired, I haven't seen one settled new comer in the team in the last 4 years except may be Kohli. what happened there ? do you think we have anyone half the ability of Sachin waiting in wing ? I haven't seen any. if you have, let me know. BTW, Sachin literally forced his way into the team at the tender age of 16 by way of his fearsome performances in all the domestic tournaments. Name one player like that currently who is waiting in the wing and we can talk about it.

Posted by shaantanu on (July 11, 2012, 13:50 GMT)

With due respect to the man its about time he retired from the shorter format of the game.He has the world cup now and has 100 100s as well(after many failed attempts in eng and aus).even your fans like me are getting bored now.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 13:48 GMT)

@ Divakar Chandrasekhar V on (July 11 2012, 12:01 PM GMT)...That's not a single example; there are many to quote like his massive strike rate dip when he reaches near hundred. Compare with any other greats like Lara or Ponting. You will find it out yourself.And also pick and choose policy of matches. Interviewer has failed to ask why so many matches he skipped in past one year. He skipped many matches in past one year. It's not every time his kids are free?? He have naive reason for every series or match he skips. It's understood whatever he does we should not ask or be blindfolded. I cannot be like that.

Posted by correctcall on (July 11, 2012, 13:47 GMT)

What a pity that you did not take the opportunity to ask his view on DRS. Many feel he is the reason why India will not accept DRS - a great opportunity lost !

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 13:38 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark: Sachin craves for hundreds. Nothing wrong in that. Viv Richards is considered as an explosive batsman, but at times, when he is on 99, he will take about 8 deliveries to go to 100. They need that hundred badly. After playing so well for 90 runs and scoring at a rapid pace, nothing wrong in taking a bit more time to go to 100. You can't expect everyone to be Sehwag or Gilly.

Posted by mark2011 on (July 11, 2012, 13:38 GMT)

certainly SRT can play still good criket and he should not retire soon. all the best wishes to him fro Sri Lanka.

Posted by bvnathan on (July 11, 2012, 13:24 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark - your comments appear more personal than professional. You are trying to pick some grey spots in the larger canvass of SRT career. True, in a TEAM game, everyone has to contribute for the success. Even Michael Jordan, NBA legend would not be the player without the support of his team. Michael Schumacher, F1 champion would not be the driver without his supporting cast. Even great football players taking penalty kicks when the team is on the cusp of victory, misses out the kicks to the dismay of the entire team, supporters and the nation. What SRT as a player has achieved is by his own concentration and love for the game - and any player who wants to copy him should be willing to go thru the grind and withstand the expectations of 1+billion population

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 13:15 GMT)

Only people who had done better than Sachin could talk anything against him. Is there anyone out there?

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 13:10 GMT)

@karthik_raja on (July 11 2012, 10:35 AM GMT)..Greater heights doesn't mean scoring bulk of runs. Yes, it's true that no body can control result after you do a deed but having said that there are big question marks on hid deeds. He has not understood the importance of his team win. Whenever he nears a hundred, he plays many balls, why?? many many more more than any other legend. ok, let's take it that he can't cope with pressure( in one game or two games) wasting little more deliveries. But how many more years he need to change this attitude?? Just think. As you wanted, there will be no more discussion on this.

Posted by puneet_usa on (July 11, 2012, 13:02 GMT)

Folks- I cannot insist enough that unfortunately millions of Sachin crazy fans are not ready to accept that it is time to move on- The aura and charm a lot of people use to have is decreasing day by day- If you ask me What else Sachin has to achieve in cricketing world which anyone else has achieved- I feel he is in a big state of self-denial that he is done playing cricket- he just cannot think how his life would be without cricket because that's what he lived for BUT - please pay attention BUT in this process isn't he is destroying another Sachin in making-he has already ruined a lot of players- Just leave your emotions for Sachin aside and think??? Also think what if some players who would have never said Good bye to cricket when Sachin broke into cricketing world at that early age-he might have gotten faded like so many players who are never able to perform to their full potential- SOMEONE VACATED SPOT FOR SACHIN-HE SHOULD TOO..

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 13:00 GMT)

What a completely pointless interview! Nothing here that we already didn't know. Really, either you find a new insight into a man or you find other men to talk to.

Posted by StatisticsRocks on (July 11, 2012, 12:56 GMT)

We as cricket fans were blessed to see the fab 4 play at the same time for India during our era. Had we had one good bowler of WAZ's or Waqar's class we would have ruled the world, no doubt that. My fellow Indians who time and gain are falling into the trap of ridiculing our own cricketers my advise to you is celebrate the very fact that the gr8 SRT, The Wall, Dada and VVS played for our country rather than comparing who is better than who. In the coming years we will fail in all forms of the game including the upcoming series against Australia and England.England for sure will register their first win in our home grounds. My biggest concern is who is going fill the existing void in the test matches....The only good thing going in our favor is that BCCI generates 75-80% of cricketing revenue and like it or not IPL. Worry abt our nations cricketing future rather than trying to find who is the best. It takes 11 to win matches and not just 1.

Posted by Nampally on (July 11, 2012, 12:43 GMT)

Sachin was heart & soul of the Indian batting over the past 22 years. He scores nearly 15,500 runs @ an average of 55 in about 190 Tests & over 18000 ODI runs at an average of about 45 & S/R of 86. He is #1 in the world in total runs scored in Test matches, After all these years he is still the best Indian batsman albeit his concentration lapses occasionally.He can still score heavily but his scores are more in mid 30's to mid 50's rather than centuries.I am sure if he is fit he will play in all 3 forthcoming Test series & will score heavily too. I request SRT to improve his concentration & focus to carry his scores in triple figures. Cricket is about technique, shot selection & concentration. It has been great having Sachin around for such a long time. I first saw him in Canada getting about 8o runs when he was just 14 or 15. What an innings it was. Everybody in the crowd were simply amazed at the young genious. I wish SRT all the best for the future games. Remain fit & concentrate!.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 12:27 GMT)

GOOD part abt this interview is that they have not asked about RETIREMENT

Posted by Keshav21 on (July 11, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

@rayan: Its completely wrong to blame sachin for test series loss in SA and Australia.If you look at the test series, contribution of sachin batting was immense. India drawn the series in Australia in 2003 in that tour he scored double hundred in Sydney, and took two crucial wickets in Adelaide when India won the test. In SA, last tour he scored to century when all others failed.

Posted by iHitWicket on (July 11, 2012, 12:02 GMT)

What can readily be seen is his focus on cricket and his love for the game. It will always be great to watch Sachin play for India and not being able to see Sachin's name on the team list will be a loss. BUT time moves and you have to move with it. The question now is about how much Indian cricket will be benefited by Sachin playing 2 more years of Test matches at home? Should a youngster be given that opportunity in place of Sachin? Mind says 'Yes' and heart a BIG 'NO' - the image of Sachin crouched in dust storm of 1998 Sahrjah match against Australia is etched in my heart. Can't just bid farewell to Sachin when he wants to and is capable of playing as well as anyone else. He was there before all others modern greats, and he is still here. Ohh well the Heart WINS. Sachin, but please for a while go back to the 1998-2003 days, and let us get to feast our eyes and heart's, yet again.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 12:01 GMT)

Ridiculous comments by Praveen4honestremark. Just because he turned down the request to come down the order does not make him a selfish player. However if that is the case, then Chanderpaul is a selfish player. Despite the team management telling him to go up the order, he is not willing to do it. Ricky ponting, when suggested by Greg Chappell, to bat at No 4 in 2010 ashes he turned it down. They have cemented their batting position by playing exceptionally well over the years. And by the way, Sachin has scored centuries while batting No 4 for India ODI's and had India win many matches. To me, its SACHIN the world's greatest batsman.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 11:46 GMT)

Best batsman of anytime, with due respect Sir Bradman. He single handedly managed the indian batting in 90's. Now he is still the key person. He has class, power, elegance and excellence. Above everything he is a true gentlemen and icon for the generations to come. A person on such talent does not need to prove but to enjoy the game of cricket. People comment on him without even played the game at any level is shocking. Tendulkar is a hero and the best batsman of the world without a shadow of doubt. Hats off Master.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 11:35 GMT)

@Ajit Kumar Panda on (July 11 2012, 10:48 AM GMT)..I only questioned Sachin's batting when he approached his century. I just was mentioning it. He takes more balls then a settled player when he moves from 70 to 100. strike rate drops suddenly in that period than even Dravid. Even though with great batting skills Sachin posses and strike rate of around 86,; when he approaches hundred it drops to 60's -70's why so sudden fall? Dravid with even less strike rate than him maintains the almost same strike rate same through out his innings;may be +/-5.Compare SRT stats with any other legend like Ponting too. When compared scores are b/n 70 to 100 b/n two you will understand that he is just thinking his century more.It's been the trend from some years( Except few games when he was under fire) He does it even we have plenty of wickets in hands. So, if playing a team like BD, ZIM even in drop in strike rate and less runs on board is ok, but what when playing Aus, SA..results go against us.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 11, 2012, 11:22 GMT)

@NAZIMUDDIN RANGELA.. INDIAN TEAM WAS THRASHED IN PAKISTAN IN 2004? YOU MUST BE DREAMING OR KIDDING!!!! HAHAH WE THRASHED PAKISTAN IN BOTH TESTS AND ODIS HANDSOMELY AND SACHIN WAS AT THE FOREFRONT OF SOME SPECIAL PASTINGS HE USUALLY RESERVES FOR JOURNEYMEN LIKE SHOAIB AKHTAR.

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 11, 2012, 11:12 GMT)

@jb63: There has been absolutely no indication of him curbing his attacking instincts . His strike rate has remained exactly the same over the past 12-15 years with a plus minus difference of maybe 2 runs/100 balls. ALSO HE HAS BECOME A LOT SAFER as a batsman and that has helped India on numerous occasions( cbseries 2008, chennai test 2008, multan 2004-historic win, capetown '11, colombo 2010, etc etc)... Also, he playes that fantastic upper cut like a genuis. Noone can match him in most shots. @Ryanharrisgreatcricketer: Since you are Indian you should know that he has been instrumental in atleast drawing test series in these two countries, also having won 4 test matches in these two countries, and this is big thing since in the 1990s INDIA WAS A ONE MAN TEAM WITH SACHIN PLAYING LONE MAN BATTLE and India used to get badly beaten in those days in Aus and SA. So yes, he has achieved evrything. And anyway, The world cup is the biggest triumph of them all so I really disagree with you .

Posted by mano.mcse on (July 11, 2012, 11:05 GMT)

He is legend. his speak also genius. Totally he is god of cricket. no words to express.

Posted by thalalara on (July 11, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

His grandson deserves watching him bat live, hope he plays for the next 15 to 20 yrs.

Posted by RyanHarrisGreatCricketer on (July 11, 2012, 10:51 GMT)

How can you say that sachin has achieved everything? He has not been part of a winning test team in South Africa and Australia

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 10:48 GMT)

@ praveen4honestremark ! Gentleman, may I give a statistic on the centuries scored by Tendulker ? He has scored 100 centuries. out of these 100, India has own in 53, lost in 25, drawn in 20, one tie and one no result. In Tests, out of his 51 centuries, India own in 20, drawn in 20, lost in 11. In One dayers, out of his 49 centuries, India own 33, tied 1, no results in 1 and lost 14. After following this fact you may now convience yourself first on your statement. Legends of crickets around the world, all picks Tendulker as the greatest, are not novice and blind.

Posted by karthik_raja on (July 11, 2012, 10:35 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark. So, u r suggesting that SRT has never taken India to greater heights. Only naive cud post such a remark. Not an honest one as ur id suggests. SRT is not a Indian player. He is a global treasure. Players like him r acknowledged all over d world. Only player of his stature wil draw support among Aus/SA/Eng crowds. So, very few here in this forum seems to say that they r more knowledgeable than some of the world's greatest cricket brains. There is a saying in our land which u wil b aware of. DO UR DUTY and DONT WRY ABT REST. RESULT WIL B TAKEN CARE OF. In cricket, his basic duty is to score runs and he has been doing it for almost 23 years consistently. Its we, the indian who shud stand behind him and support him(for that matter, any Indian player) to do well which will ultimately result in India topping the charts. Don't bring unnecessary SELFISH concepts. A man who returned to play for country immediately after his dad's funeral can never b selfish. period.

Posted by karthik_raja on (July 11, 2012, 10:23 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark. Please change ur id. There is no honest in ur remark. I guess u r talking abt ODIs, since u r asking him to come down the order. Its a known fact that SRT plays to his best whn opening in ODIs(please check his stats @ diff batting position). Whenever he is made to come down the order(ofcourse, on the name of team's cause) neither he nor the team had done well. Results r there to c for every1. As an example, please care 2 check his performances in WCs. When he opened batting, both himself and Team did well. (96,03,11). We can see the dismal performances of team when the batting order is screwed (99, 07). And another point to b noted here is, SRT has came down the order in many ODIs for team's cause under Ganguly/Dravid's captaincy. I hv been following ur posts recently. All i could see some biased vision towards SRT.

Posted by RahulPatil89 on (July 11, 2012, 10:17 GMT)

He is been always a superb cricketer and person without any ego.He is role mode for me because inspite of so many achivements he's still down to earth.I just salute him for his contribution to indian cricket and I think everyone should

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 9:34 GMT)

Nothing can be final, perfect, flawless, faultless and unblemished. One can't pronounce it to be THE THING'. It's true to Tendulkar and his cricketing career as well.

Cricket is the game of records. Each ball bowled creates a record, each run scored gets into records books, each wicket is also a matter of record. Each match, each innings of the match, each day of the match, the ground on which it's played, how many fans watched it all get into record books.

Everyday records are created and broken. No record is everlasting.

In this game a couple of failures turn a hero into villain, his houses are attacked by angry fans. History is witness to all this.

Here I recall an incident about Tendulkar. Way back in 2004-5 when our visiting team was brutally thrashed by Pakistan, even top journalists of India went all out against the Little Master and wrote him off branding him as ENDULKAR!

But same gentlemen were ga-ga over him when he scored his 100th ton. News was splashed on front pag

Posted by indianpunter on (July 11, 2012, 9:24 GMT)

Retire, retire, retire... in grace ! lest have the ignominy of being dropped. This guy still wants to play ODIs. such a shame

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 9:12 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark: In a country with over a billion ppl., we know every one will not think alike. U start picking a nice guy and get noticed. So now ur job is done. God bless you.

Posted by jb633 on (July 11, 2012, 9:08 GMT)

@praveen4honestremark, I agree with you to some extent. I think Sachin was far more important for Inida during the 90's when the team was not actually doing particulalry well. During the 00's with the form of Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag, Sachin was no longer indispensable and I do not think this suited him. I am not suggesting he was a selfish player but I think he really forged his reputation during the 90's. I think he was a far better player during that period (more fluent and eye catching). Since the WC 2003, he has generally reigned in his attacking instincts to become a run machine. All in all he is still a legend though, but as a neutral he is no longer my favourite batsman. I think Lara won more games and gave the fans more entertainment.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 9:00 GMT)

A true legend.. We salute you Sir :)

Sometimes I wonder why do we need a foreign coach when we have so much of knowledge database in our country. Agreed Gary and Wright gelled well into our culture but consider this :

Sachin and Dravid as batting coaches, Zaheer and Srinath as fast bowling coach,Kumble as spin bowling coach and Robin Singh as fielding coach and most importantly Sir Kapil Dev as seperate coach for all rounders. I am sure BCCI can afford a team of 16 and 4 coaches in form of (Kapil,Dravid,Srinath and Robin) coz Sachin and Zaheer are still part of current teams courtesy IPL financial gains :) Youngersters will have so many teachers to learn from. Even in school we have different teachers for different subject so why not apply same for Cricket??

Posted by SatyajitM on (July 11, 2012, 8:54 GMT)

Very matured interview from Sachin. Wish him and entire Indian contingent Best for the upcoming season. May batters get runs, bowlers wickets and captaincy luck again smile on Dhoni :-)

Posted by Aristotle01 on (July 11, 2012, 8:54 GMT)

All hail the master-One of the greatest sproting role models of his time-and anyone else's time. The most influential Indian along with APJ abdul kalam. The most outstading sportsman India has ever produced. The magic mag. One of the greatest cricketers of all time along with bradman, sobers, and warne. The greatest batsman the game has seen since bradman-Technical brilliance-indomitable Hunger for runs- an unsatiable hunger for success-team and personal- he has brought honor and glory to the game in ways that have been. are, and will always be simply unmatched. All sachin haters clearly havent played sport in life or they are simplyyyy to jealous of his superhuman achievements.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (July 11, 2012, 7:58 GMT)

Every cricketer who gets a chance to play for India should aspire about taking India to greater heights. But some aspire for themselves. Sachin aspired that he could play the best cricket as only a batsman.He continued playing the same way and even continuing the same way.If he would have aspired about India then he would have played with the team. It's not about himself alone playing, it's like playing with team, playing for team. Ex: On a given day you may be asked to bat in middle order to make batting order perfect for that series; when you are not able to adjust for a team then you are not a true team person . I never saw him doing any favour for team India. The only thing that happened and happening is that he aspired for himself and due process India benefited a little but most times we lost for his selfish Hundreds he made, with thinking of 100 only and wasting balls when nearing century. A true team man would have changed his gears when so many wickets in hands many times.

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 7:01 GMT)

The very fact that Sachin is an Indian is a matter of pride for the nation....he has served our country for 23 years achieving such great feats for the nation that probably will never be achieved by another mortal...he is a complete gentleman of the game and has stayed clear of all controversies and focused only on cricket...I only hope that Sachin paaji can contribute to Indian cricket till the next world cup...we all know it is a long shot but if he can continue the same way then we are all in for a treat while he keeps piling on the records...wish you all the success and blessings from the world over....

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 6:32 GMT)

U are still the best proud to be an indian

Posted by   on (July 11, 2012, 6:30 GMT)

good interview with the maestro speaking from the heart as always - sachin has really matured as the years go by and his choice of words is exemplary. wishing our lovable 'tendlya' all success in tandem with the team's success.

ps .. Sai .. you lucky one - envy you for once !

FeedbackTop

'Smith revelled in captaincy'

Modern Masters: Graeme Smith gave you the impression that he's not going to back down, whatever the contest

How we misunderstand risk in sport

Ed Smith: Success, failure, innovation - they are all about our willingness to take risks and how we judge them

No repeats

ESPNcricinfo XI: From Sheffield to Jalandhar, grounds that have hosted only one Test

England's selection errors could lead to series defeat

Ian Chappell: Persisting with Cook as captain, and picking batsmen with limited techniques, will hurt them

Have England lost their new-found identity?

Hassan Cheema: Cook and his boys seem to have fallen out of touch with the relentlessness that took them to No. 1

Ridiculed Ishant ridicules England

Ishant Sharma has often been the butt of jokes, and sometimes deservedly so. Today, however, the joke was on England

Vijay rediscovers the old Monk

The leave outside off stump has been critical to M Vijay's success since his India comeback last year. Contrary to popular opinion, such patience and self-denial comes naturally to him

England seem to have forgotten about personality

They have to see a glass that is half-full, and play the game as if it is just that, a game; and an opportunity

Bhuvneshwar on course for super series

Only 15 times in Test history has a player achieved the double of 300 runs and 20 wickets in a Test series. Going on current form, Bhuvneshwar could well be the 16th

Ishant's fourth-innings heroics in rare company

In India's win at Lord's, Ishant Sharma took the best bowling figures by an Indian in the fourth innings of a Test outside Asia. Here are five other best bowling efforts by Indians in the fourth innings of Tests outside Asia