South African cricket November 21, 2003

Klusener back in the reckoning

Wisden Cricinfo staff



Lance Klusener: out of the wilderness
© Getty

Lance Klusener appears to be back in favour with South Africa's cricket selectors after he was included in a 14-man squad to represent a Rest of South Africa team which will take on Western Province, the Standard Bank Cup Champions, in the Sports Trust Challenge on December 8.

Klusener was dropped from the national team in the wake of South Africa's disastrous performance at the 2003 World Cup and has since been embroiled in a legal dispute with the United Cricket Board of South Africa over his contract. Earlier this week, Klusener was quoted as saying that he would like to resolve the differences between himself and the board.

"It's great to see him back in refreshed and rejuvenated form for KwaZulu Natal," said Omar Henry with reference to Klusener's recent displays. "Lance has shown good all round form, in particular with the ball, so far this season and his experience and explosive talents will be of great value to the Rest of South Africa."

According to Henry, the match would give the selectors an opportunity to include a number of fringe players in the Rest of South Africa squad. "With the likes of Gibbs, Smith, Kallis, Kirsten and Prince not available, there is the chance for the likes of Justin Ontong, Hashim Amla and Morne van Wyk to perform in an atmosphere that won't be too different from a full blown international," he said.

Only Natal's Amla has not been capped at full international level. Western Province players were not considered for selection.

Rest of South Africa squad: Mark Boucher (captain), Hashim Amla, Boeta Dippenaar, Andrew Hall, Lance Klusener, Neil McKenzie, Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini, Justin Ontong, Robin Peterson, Shaun Pollock, Jacques Rudolph, Morne van Wyk, Monde Zondeki.

Comments