West Indies news February 15, 2016

Darren Bravo pulls out of World T20; 12 players in for West Indies

ESPNcricinfo staff
89

Play 01:37

A West Indian cricketing crisis has been averted, with near full-strength team set to participate in the World T20; 12 of the original 15 picked by the WICB for the tournament have signed the required contracts. Among the three who have not signed is batsman Darren Bravo, who has written to the board saying he wants to focus on Test cricket. Allrounder Kieron Pollard and spinner Sunil Narine had pulled out a few days ago, citing incomplete rehab work on injury and bowling action respectively.

The WICB named allrounder Carlos Brathwaite and offspinner Ashley Nurse replacements for Pollard and Narine, and an alternative for Bravo will be picked soon.

The threat of the WICB sending a second-string squad to the World T20 escalated after Darren Sammy, West Indies' Twenty20 captain, exchanged a series of emails with board chief executive Michael Muirhead, asking for the player remuneration to be revised. Muirhead was unrelenting on the matter, though, and told Sammy that if each member of the original squad of 15, which was picked on January 29, did not write individually to the WICB by February 14, the board would conclude he "refused" selection.

An episode like the controversial pull-out from the India tour in 2014 - over the revised contracts that significantly cut the internationals' salaries - will not be repeated emerged last week after Sammy told Muirhead that the players will play in the World T20, but the WICB "cannot continue to be unfair and unreasonable".

Meanwhile, Bravo said the reason he was opting out was because his long-term goal was to do well in Test cricket. "I'm very grateful and humbled for the opportunity to represent the West Indies at the World Cup," Bravo was quoted in a WICB media release. "However, I'm of the firm belief that I have a very big part to play in the resurgence of West Indies cricket in the longer formats of the game and I will like the opportunity to play in our Professional Cricket League [the regional first-class tournament] because it will put me in good stead and will allow me to achieve those goals that I have aligned myself for the year 2016 and beyond."

Comments have now been closed for this article

  • yogeshsingla on February 19, 2016, 17:05 GMT

    plz bring dwyane smith for bravo. or play cottrell. GAYLE, FLETHER, SIMMONS BRAVO RUSSEL BRAITHWAITE SAMMY HOLDER BENN COTRELL BADRI. BOWLING 1-8 BADREE, HOLDER 9-13 BRATHWAITE BENN 14-20 BRAVO, BRATHWAITE(15) BENN.

  • jupiterlaw on February 18, 2016, 20:48 GMT

    I believe that Bravo's failure to attract any interest at the recent IPL auction may have contributed to his arrival at that mindset.

  • Drew2 on February 18, 2016, 7:59 GMT

    Cpt.Meanster re Darren Bravo. He has played a fair bit of Twenty20. His average is good, but his strike rate is poor by Twenty20 standards. He may just be facing his limitations and going for his strength.

  •   Mg Gm on February 17, 2016, 21:39 GMT

    Good decision. 2020 is street cricket. anybody can play. Boring.

  • adreanal on February 17, 2016, 21:07 GMT

    Give Darren Bravo a break. He does not think that he is capable of playing big shots that are required in 20/20. He doesn't want to eat up dot balls, so he is gracious to bow out before the game starts. Wise move. Bring in Gidron Pope from U19..

  •   Give Get on February 17, 2016, 15:36 GMT

    Even if Darren Ganga pulls out, if the West Indies have Marlon Samuels they would again win the T20 World Cup, great excitement and master display of power play with class, classy player

  • DingDong420 on February 17, 2016, 9:54 GMT

    until the next time.. Have lost a lot of respect for Windies players.

    Put the U19 boys in, at least they will play with their hearts

  • PaddyRasta2 on February 17, 2016, 4:43 GMT

    For all you cynical posters. It does not make sense at all dropping out. He would have been played before Samuels who is in attricious form and would have had the chance to showcase T20 talent in India, the world's biggest stage. Could it not just be a genuine and honest decision to concentrate on FC cricket?

  • Metman on February 16, 2016, 22:52 GMT

    @ capt.meanster......completely agree with you concerning Darren Bravo. This man has been putting up his name for the IPL T20 auction for about 3 years now,but yet he wants to tell sensible people that he wants to skip this T20 to concentrate on his test cricket as though the WI play 5 test matches every year. Most people who have their contacts and those who keep their ears close to the ground know the REAL reason.

  • SHARAT400* on February 16, 2016, 20:42 GMT

    Why is nurse ahead of perumal/ bishoo?? Is there a real issue with guyanese players and WICB??

  • No featured comments at the moment.