Second Test Match


At Faisalabad, September 30, October 1, 2, 4, 5. Pakistan won by an innings and 3 runs. Although it had been announced that Javed Akhtar and Shakoor Rana would umpire the second Test, at the request of the Australians the umpires from the Karachi Test were retained. Australia made one change, Sleep replacing Yardley who was ill.

So stultifying did the Australians find the pitch that well before stumps on the first day, Pakistan having chosen to bat, Lawson and Thomson were bowling without a slip or gully. Mudassar and Mohsin began with a partnership of 123, Mohsin passing 1,000 Test runs. Mansoor and Zaheer added 155 in 174 minutes for the fourth wicket, with Mansoor poised on 99 for 25 minutes before cover driving Border to the boundary for his maiden Test century in his ninth Test. Zaheer, dropped when 57 and 119, hit three 6s and twelve 4s in his 337-minute innings, including 19 runs from one over by Sleep. Lawson's four for 96 from 33 overs was an effort of sustained pace and fortitude.

Two days in the field had the expected effect on the Australians. With the pitch extremely dry and containing only dead grass, Imran introduced his spinners within an hour of their first innings beginning. Qadir deceived Laird with a top-spinner in his third over and by stumps Australia were up against it. Wood provided genuine resistance, but it was Ritchie who displayed most character in the closing stages of the match. After defying Pakistan's bowlers for almost three hours before being run out in the first innings, when Australia followed on he continued calmly, judiciously and much more aggressively to make his maiden century - an unbeaten 106. Ritchie hit three 6s and nine 4s in his 295-minute innings, adding 56 with Sleep in 45 minutes as they attempted to punish Qadir. The latter, who took eleven wickets in the match, and seven in an innings for the first time, received clever assistance from his spin-bowling partner, Iqbal Qasim.

© John Wisden & Co