Second Test Match


Toss: New Zealand.

Hoping that the pitch would turn, West Indies brought in leg-spinner Dhanraj and New Zealand recalled off-spinner Patel. The Antiguan Andy Roberts said the pitch would be low, slow and favour batsmen prepared to get on the front foot and work for their runs over the razor-sharp outfield.

Germon, however, felt New Zealand's best chance was to snatch four or five wickets before lunch on the first day. He had 166 overs to consider his folly: an attack relying heavily on two trundlers, Larsen and Vaughan, made little impression on the West Indian batting.

Samuels, who had picked up an easy 124 when the President's XI thrashed the New Zealanders in Grenada, was even more impressive here, with 125 in five and a half hours. He faced 219 balls and hit 15 fours and three sixes, completing his first Test century - in his second game - with a straight six off Patel. West Indies strolled amiably to stumps at 302 for four. Referee Denness fined Morrison for dissent over a rejected appeal against Lara. Adams, 50 overnight, completed his hundred just before lunch, skipped to 150 and reached his maiden double-century in 427 minutes; his last 100 had taken only 112 balls. In all, he faced 334 balls and struck 31 fours and a six before Walsh declared on 548.

In the 12 overs New Zealand faced on the second evening, Morrison, a sacrificial night-watchman, fell for his 24th Test duck, beating the record of Bhagwat Chandrasekhar of India. He promised a commemorative tie for his benefit.

New Zealand faced another dismal defeat; however, they made a brave show. After a rally from Spearman and Fleming, the astonishing Astle had the New Zealand flag fluttering bravely for most of the third day. His second successive century was rather more subdued than the first, but he still managed 12 fours and a six. Though Astle was whisked away by Ambrose with the second new ball, Patel's biggest Test innings for nearly five years took New Zealand to 346 for seven at stumps, needing only three more to save the follow-on.

A final total of 437 had them out of jail, only 111 behind. Suddenly, Morrison found some movement in the pitch and some strength in his right shoulder. Campbell started briskly with 36 Lara batted with all the control of a tipsy sailor but still scored 74. The others fell like skittles and, at 147 for seven, the home side's lead was only 258 and a New Zealand victory looked possible.

But it took them another 70 minutes to end the innings, which left a target of 296 from 73 overs. Twose second his regulation two - his four Test innings were 2, 0, 2 and 2 - and, once the third wicket fell at 39, Fleming had the duty of scoring a patient four-hour 56 to make sure of the draw.

Man of the Match: J. C. Adams. Man of the Series: J. C. Adams.

Close of play: First day, West Indies 302-4 (J. C. Adams 50*, S. Chanderpaul 6*); Second day, New Zealand 21-2 (C. M. Spearman 14*, S. P. Fleming 5*); Third day, New Zealand 346-7 (L. K. Germon 25*, D. N. Patel 37*); Fourth day, West Indies 147-7 (C. O. Browne 3*, C. E. L. Ambrose 0*).

© John Wisden & Co