Second Test

New Zealand v Bangladesh

At Basin Reserve, Wellington, December 26, 27, 28, 29. New Zealand won by an innings and 74 runs. Toss: New Zealand.

Once again, rain made significant inroads, yet New Zealand still had time to win in style. Bangladesh's only change was to swap one seamer, Mohammad Sharif, for another, Hasibul Hussain, while New Zealand replaced Astle, who had a hand injury, with Horne, and brought in Drum - who had taken ten Bangladeshi wickets for Auckland - in place of Martin. After downpours so heavy that the groundstaff had to prepare the pitch under a tent, it was little surprise that it was sluggish, well below the Basin Reserve's usual standard. Fleming did not hesitate to insert Bangladesh, whose batsmen had been instructed by their coach, Trevor Chappell, to occupy the crease for longer, and to measure success in terms of time rather than runs. He would not have been pleased to see his top three still playing as if late for an urgent engagement; all fell to rash shots.

Although Cairns maintained his form from before Christmas, removing Javed Omar and Habibul Bashar in his second over, Vettori was the pick of the bowlers, looping his stock delivery and getting his arm-ball to duck in to the right-handers. Aminul Islam batted soundly either side of lunch but, once he went to Vincent's spectacular catch at gully, Bangladesh folded.

Yet more rain meant no play on the second day, and a delayed start to the third, which brought about eccentric playing hours of one o'clock till eight. By lunch (at three), New Zealand were 117 for one; after that, the runs flowed. Richardson's 83 came from 167 balls, but the sluice gates were swung fully open by Fleming, McMillan, and finally Cairns. Each scored faster than the last, and their surge allowed the captain to declare 209 ahead and invite his bowlers to make a quick kill before the sun dipped on a midsummer's evening.

By the close, 24 overs later, the top order had already been ripped out. Bond forced Al Sahariar to fend to slip, produced a quick in-swinger to trap Javed Omar in front, and then claimed a bonus when Aminul Islam flashed irresponsibly outside off. Resuming at 67 for five on the fourth morning, Bangladesh lasted just over an hour. Bond soon took his fourth wicket, and Fleming gave him plenty of time to take five for the first time in Tests, but Mashrafe bin Mortaza responded by giving him plenty of hammer, including a straight six. It fell to Cairns to mop up, dislodging Mashrafe and Manjurul Islam with consecutive balls. Again, New Zealand's comprehensive victory had taken less than seven sessions.

Man of the Match: C. D. McMillan.

© John Wisden & Co