|Photos||Video & Audio||Blogs||Statistics||Archive||Shop||Mobile|
WRIGHT, MR. CHARLES WILLIAM, died at Melton Mowbray on January 10, aged 72. A very good bat and wicket-keeper at Charterhouse, he got his Blue at Cambridge as a Freshman in 1882 and played four times against Oxford, his captains being the three Studds and Lord Hawke. In those matches he scored 292 runs with an average of 48. His innings of 102 in 1883 was faultless and attracted so much attention that the Cambridge authorities presented him with a medal. Born at Harewood, Yorkshire, Charles Wright when quite young went with his parents to Wollaton in Nottinghamshire, and before he was thirteen played cricket at Trent Bridge, where he was fortunate to receive coaching by the leading county professionals, to whom he was much indebted. He first appeared for Nottinghamshire in 1881 and played intermittently with the County until July, 1899. A very steady bat, he usually went in first, and when wickets fell fast his defence often averted a complete collapse. For a scratch eleven at Stoke-on-Trent in 1890 against the Australians he went in first, scored 26 out of 60 and, in the second innings, carried out his bat for 7 in a total of 51. A year later when Nottinghamshire fell at Lord's before M.C.C. for 21, he was last out for 5, the top score, only 15 runs coming from the bat. In the second innings of this match he made 39 out of 69, but the County were beaten in a day by an innings and 37 runs. On treacherous pitches, his strong back play enabled him to keep up his end against the best bowlers. In 1883 he played for the Gentlemen against Players at Lord's and the Oval. The loss of the sight of one eye in a shooting accident no doubt influenced Mr. Wright to give up active participation in the game comparatively early in life, but his interest in cricket remained unabated. Treasurer of the Nottinghamshire Club for many years and a Trustee since 1900, Charles Wright was always closely in touch with his County's cricket. He went on four tours; with teams captained by Lord Hawke--to America and Canada in 1891 and 1894; to India in the winter of 1892, and to South Africa three years later.