Obituaries in 1913

SIR APCAR ALEXANDER APCAR, who was born on September 2nd, 1851, died at Bangalore, in India, on April 17th. He was in the Harrow XI in 1868 and 1869, scoring 21 v. Eton in the former year and 13 and 12 in the latter. In Lillywhite"s Companion it was said of him: Is a brilliant field, returning the ball well at the wicket. Promises as he gets older to become a fine hitter. He was President of the Chamber of Commerce, Bengal, and Member of the Council of the Governor-General.

MR. JAMES WILLIAMS ARROWSMITH, head of the well-known firm of publishers, died at Bristol on January 19th. He was born at Worcester on November 6th, 1839, and was always keenly interested in cricket and other sports. For many years he was on the Committee of the County Club, and he was Chairman of the Gloucestershire County Ground Company. Among the many cricket books published by his firm may be mentioned Cricket, by W. G. Grace; Kings of Cricket by Richard Daft; Gentlemen v. Players, by F. S. Ashley-Cooper; Cricket Stories, by C. W. Alcock; and At the Sign of the Wicket, by E. B. V. Christian. Mr. Arrowsmith played a great part in the public life of Bristol, and his death caused a gap which will be very difficult to fill.

LORD AVEBURY (SIR JOHN LUBBOCK), the famous scientist and well-known politician, banker and philanthropist, died at Kingsgate Castle, near Broadstairs, on May 28th. He left Eton too early to be in the Eleven, but he was a useful left-handed batsman and a fast underhand bowler. For many years he was associated with the West Kent C. C., and occasionally he played for the Lords and Commons. He was born in London on April 30th, 1834, and was the eldest of the cricketing brotherhood.

MR. GEORGE BENNETT, who born at Naples on August 2nd, 1832, died at Southbourne, Hants, on March 11th. He was in the Winchester XI in 1849, 1850, and 1851, and in his six Public Schools matches, against Harrow and Eton, scored 155 runs with an average of 14.09, caught 5 and stumped 3, and took six wickets with his bowling. Concerning his play in 1851, Lillywhite"s Guide said that, in addition to being an able and efficient captain, he was a splendid wicket-keeper, an excellent judge in placing the field. As a batsman, too, he is very dangerous, a capital leg-hitter, at which point he set the field busily to work on the occasion of the Public School Matches at Lord"s. Very great credit is attached to him for his management, which he justly merits. On proceeding to Oxford he gave up cricket for a time in favour of rowing, and pulled in his College (New) boat, which won The Fours in 1853. In 1856 he represented his University on the Thames and at Lord"s, but was on the losing side each time. In the cricket match he was unfortunate enough to score spectacles.

SIR JAMES AUSTIN BOURDILLON, K. C.S. I., who died suddenly on April 23rd, whilst drilling his Red Cross detachment, was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1866 and 1867, being captain the latter year. In his two matches against Rugby he scored 49 in three innings. Lillywhite"s Companion said of him: A hard hitter on the on side, and always safe for a few, though often losing his wicket by trying to hit a short ball. Much improved in fielding, being at times a brilliant out-field. He was born in Madras in 1848.

MR. H. W. BROWN, an Australian by birth, who died at San Francisco on February 26th, was connected with the Alameda C.C. for 18 years.

MR. FRANCIS MATTHEW BUCKLAND, the famous Eton and Oxford cricketer of a generation ago, died at Bexhill on 7th of March. He was born at Laleham, Middlesex, on 27th of August, 1864. Mr. Buckland was in the Eton eleven in 1871-2-3, and after failing to get his blue in 1874, was in the Oxford eleven from 1875 to 1877 inclusive. At Eton he was one of the best School bowlers-right hand, medium pace-of his day, but from some cause he lost the spin from leg, which had made him difficult and, though always very steady and accurate, he was too plain at Oxford to be at all formidable on hard wickets. His bowling records for Eton were remarkable. It was strange that he should have missed his blue in his first year at Oxford, as in the Freshmen"s match he played an innings of 136 and took seven wickets for 45 runs. Afterwards for the Eleven against the Gentlemen of England he scored 51 and 49. He played a useful part in the sensational six runs victory of Oxford in 1875, playing a first innings of 22 and taking five wickets, but as an Oxford cricketer up to the end of 1876 he was admittedly a disappointment. Then, in 1877, he jumped into fame as one of the great amateur batsmen of the season. By reason of his doings against Cambridge that year, if for nothing else, he will live in cricket history. His 117 not out was beyond all doubt one of the finest innings ever played in the University match. In face of a total of 134, Oxford lost six wickets, including those of A. J. Webbe, H. R. Webbe, and A. H. Heath, for 31 runs, the position looking absolutely desperate. At this point Buckland was joined by H. G. Tylecote, and between them the two batsmen put on 142 runs. They completely turned the fortunes of the game, and in the end Oxford won by ten wickets. Buckland"s magnificent driving that afternoon is as vividly remembered at Lord"s as though the match had been played last year. Over and above his wonderful batting, he took seven Cambridge wickets-three for 21 runs and four for 29. Ten days before the University match he had given evidence that he was in great batting form, scoring 104 at Lord"s for Oxford against Middlesex. The Gentlemen were so tremendously strong in 1877 that despite his triumph in the University match, no place was found for Buckland against the Players, either at the Oval or Lord"s, but for a less representative side at Prince"s he was conspicuously successful both as batsman and bowler, scoring 50 and taking eight wickets. It was a misfortune that just as he had got to his best as a batsman he had to give up public cricket, little being seen of him after 1877. He was an assistant master at Winchester in 1880 and 1881, and afterwards became headmaster of a preparatory school at Laleham. As a batsman he was a fine type of the forward style of play taught at Eton by Mr. R. A. H. Mitchell.

WILLIAM CHATTERTON, one of the greatest of Derbyshire cricketers, died of consumption at Flowery Field, Hyde, on March 19th, in his 50th year. For many years he occupied a high position among professional batsmen, and it was due largely to him that his county was reinstated among the first-class sides in 1894. Although he had many strokes, his batting was essentially watchful and steady. That his careful methods paid is proved by the fact that for Derbyshire alone his scored 11,619 runs with an average of 25.15. In addition, he took 199 wickets for the county at a cost of just under 23 runs each. For the M.C.C. also his all-round cricket was often most valuable, and for Mr. W. W. Read"s team in South Africa in 1891-2-his only colonial tour-he was by far the biggest run-getter. In Derbyshire"s match with Essex at Leyton in 1896 he scored 111 and 85 not out, probably only the closure of the innings preventing him from obtaining two separate hundreds. Between 1889 and 1898 he appeared in eight matches for the Players against the Gentlemen, and, with 58 at Hastings in 1891 as his highest score, made 248 runs with an average of 20.66. He was born at Flowery Field, Hyde, December 27th, 1863.

MR. STEPHEN CHRISTOFFELSZ, a good wicket-keeper and useful batsman, died in Ceylon in the first week of June. He was born on January 2nd, 1883, and was, therefore, only 30 years of age at the time of his death. He was captain of the Bloomfield C. C.

THE REV CANON ALFRED MILLARD WILLIAM CHRISTOPHER, who was born at Ealing on August 20th, 1820, died at Oxford on March 10th, 1913, at the great age of 92. He was in the Cambridge XI of 1843, when he scored 17 and 1. The match, in which there were 82 wides, was played on Bullingdon Green, and was won by Cambridge by 54 runs. Canon Christopher was a sound defensive batsman, but, entering the Church, did not keep up his cricket, although to the last he was interested in the game.

MR. ALFRED E. CLARKE, the founder of the East Melbourne C. C. in 1860, its first honorary secretary, and its president from 1885 to 1903, died on August 19th, aged 70. A piece of turf from the club ground was lowered with the coffin, as he desired.

MR. ARTHUR DUKE COLERDIGE, who died in London on October 29th, in his 86th year, was in the Eton XI in 1847 and 1848. In his three Public School matches he made 51 runs with an average of 12.75, his highest score being 28 not out v. Winchester in 1848. Examinations prevented him from playing for Eton against Winchester in 1847, and for Cambridge in the University match of 1850. For 37 years he had been Clerk of Assize to the Midland Circuit, with which he was associated for 55 years. He was the author of Eton in the Forties.

MR. ALBERT H. COLLINS, who played for Western Ontario against Lord Hawke"s team in 1891, died at St. Michael"s Hospital, Toronto, on August 5th, aged 57.

MR. CLEMENT COLMAN, the President of the Wanderers C. C. and for many years a member of the Surrey County C. C., died at Crescent Grove, Clapham, on May 19th. He was born at Montague House, Clapham, on September 1st, 1851.

THE REV. GEORGE EDWARD COTTERILL, who died at Cambridge on June 2nd, was born in the Neilgherry Hills, India, on July 28th, 1839, and was educated at Brighton College and Cambridge. He was in the Brighton XI in 1855-56-57, and in the Cambridge XI the three following years. Scores and Biographies (vi-48) described him as: A fine, free, and powerful hitter, especially to leg… Bowls round-armed rather fast, delivering also slow underhand. In the field he is capital, either at long-leg or long-leg, covering a good deal of ground, and being able to throw-in a great distance. In the England v. XXII of Gainsborough match, July 12th, 1860, he made a square-leg hit which measured 122 yards to the pitch. His height was 6ft., and weight 13st. In his three matches against Oxford he scored 90 runs with an average of 18, and took nine wickets for 10.11 runs each. He played occasionally for Norfolk in 1866 and 1867, and assisted Sussex in eight matches between 1869 and 1874. His brother, Dr. J. M. Cotterill, and his son, Mr. G. H. Cotterill, also played at times for Sussex, and two of his sons, Mr G. H. and Major H. E., obtained their Blue, the former for football and the latter for athletics.

MR. RALPH CRACKNELL, who died at Boston, Mass., on June 24th, was born in London on May 27th, 1860. He went to the United States in 1884, and soon proved himself one of the best bowlers in New England. For Longwood v. Pawtucket in 1890 he took seven wickets for 1 run, and two years later obtained seven for 18 for XV. of New England v. Gentlemen of Ireland. Twice he secured over a hundred wickets in a season, taking 106 for 4.53 runs apiece in 1891 and 107 for 5.21 each in 1905.

MR. JOSEPH CUMMINGS, who died from the heat at Pullman, III., on June 15th, was born at Durham on July 10th, 1861. He went to Chicago in 1886, and, after playing for the Wanderers, identified himself with the Pullman C. C. He was a punishing bat and a good fast bowler. His highest score was 162 for Milwaukee v. Racine College.

SIR JOHN GEORGE DAVIES, K.C.M.G., who died at Hobart on November 14th, was for many years the chief figure in Tasmanian cricket, playing in the majority of Inter-State matches arranged during his time, and also against visiting English and Australian teams. In 1884 he captained the Tasmanian team which visited New Zealand, and had always been very prominently identified with the Southern Tasmanian Cricket Association. He was born in Melbourne on February 17th, 1846, and educated at Melbourne Church of England Grammar School. For several years he was Speaker of the State Parliament, Tasmania.

MR. CHARLES DEARLOVE, the Hon. Secretary of the Knaresborough C. C. in its palmy days, died on June 21st, aged about 75.

MR. GEORGE DICKENSON, who died at St. Albans, Christchurch, (N.Z), on June 15th aged 85, was one of the pioneers of cricket in Canterbury. He played against Parr"s team in 1863-4.

MR. WILLIAM HENRY DUKE, senior partner in the firm of Messrs. Duke and Son, of Penshurst, died at Tonbridge on February 27th, aged 57.

MR. W. H. DUNLOP, for some years well-known in connection with the Grange C. C., died at Doonside, Ayr, in December, aged 69.

SIR FREDERICK A. EATON died at Albert Place, Kensington, on September 10th, in his 76th year. With Sir Spencer Ponsonby-Fane he compiled the catalogue of the pictures, drawings, prints, etc., belonging to the M. C. C., and contributed to the volume a very interesting account of the Club since its formation. He had been a member of the M. C. C. since 1869, and was secretary of the Royal Academy.

MR. ALFRED EDGAR, one of the founders of the Bournemouth Festival, died at Holdenhurst, near Bournemouth, on April 24th. He was a useful cricketer, and was well-known in the Rugby football world in connection with the Southampton Trojans.

MR. THOMAS ELLIOT, J. P., an ardent supporter of Durham County cricket, died at Harrogate on January 23rd, at the age of 73. He had been associated with the Sunderland C. C. for over 50 years.

GEORGE FREDERICK ELLIOTT, who was born at Farnham on May 1st, 1850, died at his native place on April 23rd. He was a sound batsman, a useful change bowler, and in the field was generally mid-off or cover-point. In 1874 he played twice for Kent, but in the following year began to assist Surrey. Against Notts, at Trent Bridge, in 1876, he played a very patient innings: at one period he was in fifty-five minutes for two runs, and he took eighty-five minutes to increase his score from 12 to 16.

MR. WILLIAM HENRY BRERETON EVANS, whose tragic death at Aldershot in August, when flying with Col. Cody, caused such a painful shock, was one of the best all-round amateur cricketers of his day. Indeed, if he had been able to keep up his cricket regularly after he left Oxford, it is quite likely that he would have had the distinction of playing for England. He was a batsman of very high class, and one of the best amateur fast bowlers seen in University cricket since Woods. He was in the Malvern eleven from 1898 to 1901, being captain in his last year. He must have been about the best public school cricketer in 1901, as he headed the Malvern batting with an average of 51, and took 53 wickets. Going up to Oxford with a big reputation, he won his Blue as a Freshman. His bowling for Oxford in 1902 was disappointing, but he did very well in batting, scoring 16 and 67 against Cambridge at Lord"s and playing a great innings of 142 against Sussex at Brighton. In the following year he was less successful as a batsman, but he bowled better than at any time in his life. He had a great share in beating Cambridge at Lord"s, taking eleven wickets (seven for 52 runs and four for 34) and scoring 21 and 60. In 1904, when he was captain at Oxford, his bowling practically left him, but he was, perhaps, a better bat than ever. With two splendid innings of 65 and 86 not out, he saved his side from defeat at Lord"s, and his average for Oxford was 54. He finished his Oxford career in 1905. In that year he to some extent recovered his bowling, but for the first time he failed as a batsman in the University match, scoring only 21 and 8. Evans was first selected for the Gentlemen at Lord"s in 1903, and again in 1905. Going into the Egyptian Civil Service, he had not much chance of playing first-class cricket in recent years, but he was in the Gentlemen"s eleven, both at the Oval and Lord"s in 1909, batting very well at the Oval. He was born on January 29, 1883.

Mr. Evans was in the Oxford Association football team from 1902 to 1905, and in company with Mr. B. S. Foster, he won the Public School Racquet Championship in 1900. He was a nephew of Mr. A. H. Evans, the Oxford fast bowler of 1878-81.

ALFRED FEREDAY, 40 years ago a very well-known club cricketer in the Midlands, died at Dudley on June 11th, aged 61. He was father of John Fereday, of Worcestershire and Warwickshire, and was one of the umpires appointed for the Birmingham League upon its establishment in 1894.

GEORGE FROST, the old Derbyshire cricketer, died at Wirksworth in the first week of February, aged 64. His county career extended from 1872 to 1880, and for Derbyshire during that period he scored 776 runs with an average of 11.58.

MR. CHARLES CHRISTOPHER GOODEN, the eldest of the well-known South Australian brotherhood, died on March 6th, aged 73.

MR. J. E. GOODEN, another member of the same family, passed away in Adelaide in July, aged 67.

MR. WILLIAM STEPHENS MAIR GOODENOUGH was born at Yate, Gloucestershire, in 1826, and died at Savile House, near Bath, on January 28th. He was Honorary Secretary of the Lansdown C. C. for 30 years, retiring in 1897, when he received a presentation of silver plate. Subsequently he was President of the Club. He was one of the oldest members of the Gloucestershire County C. C.

GEORGE HAY died at Staveley, his native place, on October 24th. As he was born on January 28th, 1851, he was thus in his 63rd year at the time of his death. It was as a fast round-armed bowler that he came to the front, but he was also a fair bat and a good field at cover-point and short slip. His first appearance at Lord"s was in 1875, for Colts of the North v. Colts of the South, when he and Watson dismissed the latter in their first innings for 33, Hay taking four wickets for 10 runs and Watson six for 21. The same season Hay made his debut for Derbyshire, but his county career was short as he played seldom after 1881. He did some very good things during that time, however, his best feats being to take five wickets for 15 v. Kent at Derby in 1875, and six for 16 v. Sussex at Brighton in 1880. In 1882 he joined the ground staff at Lord"s, of which he was subsequently the head, and in 1902 was given the Whit-Monday match between Middlesex and Somerset for his benefit. His highest innings in a match of note was 49 for Derbyshire v. Lancashire, at Manchester, in 1880.

GEORGE THOMAS HAYWARD, ground- keeper in turn for the St. George C. C., at Hoboken, and the Staten Island C. C., at Livingston, died on October 17th. He was born in Bermuda on July 15th, 1839.

MR. HENRY GROSVENOR HILL died at Handsworth, Birmingham, on June 4th, aged 51. He was educated at King Edward"s School, and was founder of the Birmingham and District Cricket League, of which he was at various times President, Hon. Secretary, and Treasurer. On three occasions whilst playing for Handsworth Wood he took all ten wickets in an innings, and for the Club in 1895 obtained 239 wickets. His appearances for Warwickshire extended from 1888 to 1900, and among his best feats with the ball were 3 wickets for 5 runs v. Derbyshire, 5 for 14 v. Durham, 3 for 15 v. Gloucestershire, 5 for 28 v. M.C.C., 5 for 28 v. Durham, and 5 for 54 v. Lancashire. He bowled left-hand and batted right. He was born in Old Square, Birmingham, on July 23rd, 1861.

MR. ALFRED HIRST, who died at Walthamstow on August 29th, played for Lascelles Hall when the club was in its prime, and was a member of the team which defeated Yorkshire in 1873 by 146 runs. He was born at Dalton on March 8th, 1845.

MR. C. J. HOARE, who died at Ash, near Farnham, in July, played for Sussex v. Hampshire, at Southampton, in 1885, scoring 4 not out and 8.

HENRY HOLMES, who died on January 6th, was born at Ramsey on Nov. 11th, 1833, and was thus in his eightieth year. He will be remembered chiefly as one of the best players in the Hampshire team in the sixties. He was included in the Fourteen of Hampshire who beat Surrey at the Oval in 1864-only match that Surrey lost that season. He then scored 17 and not out 38. In the return game, at Southampton, which ended in a draw, he did still better, making 42 and 63, and heading the score in each innings. Perhaps the best innings he ever played was 77 for the Players of the South against the Gentlemen of the South at the Oval in 1868. The Players hit up a total of 413, winning the match by an innings and 91 runs. Of the Hampshire cricketers who played with Holmes in 1864 there are still a few survivors, including Mr. H. Maturin, who, though now in his 72nd year, still takes an active part in the game.

THOMAS JAYES, the Leicestershire cricketer, died on April 16th, at Ratby, from consumption. A fine right-handed fast bowler, who, despite his pace, at times made the ball turn considerably, Jayes first played for Leicestershire in 1903, but it was not until two years later, when the temporary disablement of King gave him his chance, that he became a regular member of the eleven. In that season he took 95 wickets, and in the following summer 93, while in 1909 he obtained 102 wickets for less than 20 runs apiece. His health broke down early in the summer of 1911, when his appearances for Leicestershire were only two in number. The Leicestershire County Club sent him out to Switzerland to try what a change of climate would do for him, but there was never much hope of his recovery. Tremendously keen in the field, Jayes was one of the finest mid-offs of his generation, and by his inspiriting example he did much to encourage his colleagues. A hard hitting batsman, he once made 100 against Warwickshire at Birmingham, and another time 74 against Derbyshire, in the latter match also taking nine wickets and catching the tenth man in one innings. Against Notts at Leicester, in 1910, he scored 87 out of 112 in fifty-five minutes and in the same year he and Shipman added 59 in seventeen minutes v. Yorkshire, at Leeds. Jayes was one of the men originally picked for the Test match between England and Australia at Lord"s in 1909. At the last moment, however, it was decided to leave him out, and England, going into the field without a right-hand fast bowler, suffered defeat by nine wickets. Jayes did the hat-trick twice for Leicestershire-v. Northants at Leicester in 1906, and v. Kent at Maidstone in 1907. Born at Ratby on April 7th, 1877, Jayes was just over 36 years of age at the time of his death. He was an uncle of Astill, the Leicestershire bowler.

MR. CHARLES HENRY LARRETTE, who died at the Great Northern Central Hospital on May 9th, aged 67, was a well-known sporting journalist, who had followed cricket closely for very many years. He was educated at Uppingham.

MR. CLAUDE LEATHAM, of Wentbridge, near Pontefract, who died in April, captained the Yorkshire Colts in 1876. He was a keen follower of the Badsworth Hunt and an enthusiastic golfer.

MR. ROWLAND SUTCLIFFE LEATHER, who was born at Leeds on August 17th, 1880, died at Heliopolis on January 3rd. He was in the Marlborough XI in 1898, making 22 v. Rugby, but did not obtain his Blue for Oxford. He played, however, for the Authentics and, from 1904 to 1906, for Yorkshire 2nd XI., in the year first named scoring 108 v. Nottinghamshire Colts at Trent Bridge. His only appearance for Yorkshire was against the West Indians, at Harrogate in 1906, when he made 5 and 14.

MR. SPENCER AUSTEN LEIGH, a member of the well-known cricket brotherhood, died at Alfriston, Sussex, on December 9th. He was born at Speen, near Newbury, in Berkshire, on February 17th, 1834, and was in the Harrow XI of 1852, among his contemporaries being A. H. Walker, R. A. FitzGerald, and Kenelm Digby. Against Winchester he made only 4 and 19, but in the match with Eton he played a very fine first innings of 85 not out. Scores and Biographies (iv-398) described him as A splendid and free hitter and a capital field, either at point, cover-point, or long leg. Unfortunately, he played but seldom in the great matches of the day, but for the Gentlemen of Berkshire and the Gentlemen of Sussex he made many large scores. He assisted Sussex in ten matches between 1862 and 1866 and, with 42 as his highest score, made 155 runs with an average of 11.07.

THE HON. GEORGE WILLIAM SPENCER LYTTELTON, fourth son of Baron Lyttelton, died at his residence, Hill Street, W., on December 5th, in his 67th year. He was born in London on June 12th, 1847. Spencer Lyttelton, as he was generally called, had the family devotion to cricket, and though he did not earn the fame in the field that was won by three of his brothers-Charles, Edward, and Alfred-he had a good record, both at Eton and Cambridge. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1863, 1864, and 1865, making his first appearance at Lord"s against Harrow as a member of a brilliant team, which included Alfred Lubbock-the finest school batsman of 1863-E. W. Tritton, the Hon. F. G. Pelham (afterwards Earl of Chichester), and J. Frederick. The match was drawn, Tritton scoring 91 and 58, and Lubbock 0 and 80. In the two following years Harrow were overwhelmingly strong, beating Eton by an innings and 66 runs in 1864, and by an innings and 51 runs in 1865. Spencer Lyttelton was the most successful batsman for the beaten side in 1864, playing a second innings of 50 against some admirable bowling, but he failed in 1865. His best score for Eton was 96 not out, against Winchester in 1864, he and W. S. Prideaux winning the match in great style by nine wickets. At Cambridge Mr. Lyttelton was in the eleven for two seasons- 1866 and 1867. He did nothing against Oxford in his first year, but in 1867 he was one of the heroes of an intensely interesting finish. Cambridge required only 110 to win, but five of their best wickets were down for 54, E. M. Kenney"s left-handed fast bowling being very difficult. However, Cambridge won the game without further loss, W. S. O. Warner-a fine bat and still finer racquet player, who died at the age of 27-scoring 34 not out and Lyttelton 20 not out. Spencer Lyttelton was clearly at his best as a batsman in 1867, as in that year he scored 114 at Fenner"s for the University against Cambridgeshire. Mr. Lyttelton in public affairs was best known as chief private secretary to Mr. Gladstone, 1892-94. An excellent musician, he was on the Executive Committee of the Royal College of Music.

MR. HERBERT MENZIES MARSHALL, who died at South Kensington on March 2nd, will be chiefly remembered as the long-stop in the Cambridge eleven to the late Robert Lang"s tremendously fast bowling in the University match of 1862. Cambridge won the game by eight wickets, Lang taking five wickets for four runs and four for 31. The long-stop has disappeared from modern cricket, but fifty years ago the position, more especially at Lord"s, was one of great importance. Perhaps for the reason that he had Lang"s bowling to deal with, Mr. Marshall was generally considered the best long-stop of his day. However, he had other qualifications as a cricketer, being a brilliant bat, though, according to Scores and Biographies, rather careless in the matter of defence. He was in the Westminster School eleven in 1858-9-60, captaining the team in his last year, and was in the Cambridge eleven for four years, 1861-4 inclusive. In 1861 he scored 76 not out and 2, and in 1862, 31 and 0 not out against Oxford, but he failed as a batsman in 1863 and 1864. Mr. Marshall, who was born at Outwood Hall, near Leeds, on August 1st, 1841, was picked for Gentlemen against Players both at Lord"s and the Oval in 1861 and 1862. He met with no success in batting in these four matches, but he had the pleasure of taking part in the wonderful drawn game at the Oval in 1862, when the Players, at the finish, had 33 runs to get with two wickets to fall. An artist of no small distinction, Mr. Marshall was at one time vice-president of the Royal Water-Colour Society. He was Professor of Landscape Painting at Queen"s College, Harley Street, from 1904.

JOSEPH MARSHALL, who played occasionally for Derbyshire from 1887 to 1890, died at Derby on January 15th, aged 50. He was an excellent slip, and a good scorer in club cricket, but for the county his highest innings was only 31 v. Surrey, at Derby, in 1887.

MR. ROBERT HENRY BULLOCK MARSHAM, the well-known Metropolitan magistrate, died at Bifrons, Canterbury, on April 5th. Though he never took anything like the position in the cricket-field gained by his younger and still surviving brother, the Rev. C. D. Marsham-one of the most famous of amateur bowlers-Mr. Marsham in his young days was a good player. At Oxford he was in the eleven only one year, being on the losing side in 1856. Mr. Marsham had the distinction of being picked for the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord"s in 1859 and 1860, and also for the Gentlemen under 30 against the Players under 30 in 1862. His best score in these three matches was 24 in 1862, when he opened the Gentlemen"s first inningswith the late Mr. E. M. Grace. The Players won all three matches very easily. Mr. Marsham played with great success for the M.C.C. against the Surrey Club (with Caffyn, Tom Lockyer, and H. H. Stephenson), at Lord"s in July, 1859, taking four wickets for 40 runs and eight for 27. The M.C.C. were the weaker team, but Mr. Marsham"s bowling won the match for them by 119 runs. His bowling was rather slow round-armed with a twist in from leg. He made a lot of runs for I Zingari, and was fond of recalling that he took part in the double-tie match between Cranbury Park and IZ. in 1864. In 1860 he was chosen to play for England against Kent, at Canterbury. He was born at Merton College, Oxford, September 3rd, 1833. From 1853 until 1864 he assisted Oxfordshire, and in the last-mentioned year he also assisted Buckinghamshire, playing an innings of 59 against Middlesex at Newport Pagnell.

THE REV. DR. WARD MAULE, of the Cambridge XI of 1853, died at Boulogne-sur-Mer on September 23rd. He was born September 1st, 1833, was educated at Tonbridge, and appeared occasionally for the Gentlemen of Kent. At Tunbridge Wells in 1854, whilst bowling at practice to Fuller Pilch before the match between Kent and 18 of Tunbridge Wells, he took the single stump three times in successive balls. Oh! sir, said Pilch; I should not have believed it possible. In his one match against Oxford he scored 7 and 14 not out, and took three wickets. He wards his own wicket, while he mauls those of others, once said a well-known cricketer.

MR. DORAB E. MODY, a well-known Parsi cricketer, died suddenly in May at the early age of 39. He was a useful, painstaking batsman and an energetic field.

THE REV. THE RT. HON. ROBERT CHICHESTER MONCREIFF, 3rd Baron Moncreiff, who was born at Edinburgh August 24th, 1843, died at Tanworth, Henley-in-Arden, on May 15th. He was in the Harrow XI of 1862, when he scored only 1 and 6 against Eton. Mr. Haygarth said of him:- Is a good batsman, though he does not participate in the great contests, his efforts having been confined almost entirely to Gentlemen"s matches in the Midland Counties.

SAMUEL MORGAN, Warwickshire"s first regular wicket-keeper upon the re-establishment of the County Club in 1882, died at the Crown Inn, Edgbaston, in February. He was a poor batsman, and did not take part in county cricket after 1886.

MR. THEODORE H. MORRIS, who was born on October 10th, 1840, and died on February 15th, was educated at Haverford, where he was one of the leading batsmen and a successful underhand bowler. He was a member of the Merion C. C. until the day of his death, and was father of Messrs. C. C. and H. H. Morris.

MR. ARTHUR HENRY AYLMER MORTON, who died in London on June 14th, aged 77, was in the Eton XI of 1854, when Lillywhite"s Guide said of him: Bowls straight, and generally a good length; in the field is somewhat slow. His batting is sometimes very effective. Eton lost both their School matches in 1854, but Morton took nine wickets v. Harrow, and the same number v. Winchester. He scored 19 runs in his four innings. For some years he was M. P. for Deptford.

MR. V. V. MURPHY, one of the best-known cricketers in British Columbia, was killed in a motor accident on June 9th, at the level crossing at McKinnon Junction at the early age of 32. He was born in Ireland, and was a very effective bowler. For the Cowichan C. C. in 1912 he took 100 wickets for 8.17 runs each.

MR. DANIEL SMITH NEWHALL, a member of the famous American brotherhood, died on July 13th, in the Jefferson Hospital, Philadelphia. Born on April 7th, 1849, he was only 15 years of age when, in 1864, he played for Young America v. St. George and for Philadelphia v. New York. He was chosen frequently to represent the United States against Canada, and in 1885 was captain of the first team in America to defeat an English side. Philadelphia beat E. J. Sanders" XI by ten runs. Mr. Newhall was captain of the team of Gentlemen of Philadelphia which visited England in 1889. Lillywhite then described him as: A stubborn bat, and punishes loose bowling heavily. Is wonderfully quick in the field, a sure catch, and can bowl slow, round, or lobs, as necessity demands. For several years he was President of the Germantown C. C.

MR. FRANK NIGHTINGALE, for some years captain of the Reigate Priory C. C., died on May 20th.

DR. EDWARD RUSSELL OGDEN, who died on May 15th, at Chicago, was born at Oakville, Canada, June 17th, 1862, and educated at Upper Canada College, Toronto, where he was in the Eleven four years, commencing 1876, and captain the last three. He played for Canada against the United States in 1881, 1883, and 1884, captained the Canadian team which visited England in 1887, and led the Chicago team for a number of years. Whilst on tour in this country he scored 701 runs with an average of 23.37, his highest innings being 133 v. Gentlemen of Hampshire, and took 91 wickets for 16 runs apiece. He was clearly the best all-round player in the side, and bowled medium-pace right-hand and batted left.

GEORGE OSBORNE, for over 30 years professional to the Upper Clapton C. C., died on March 1. He was a fast bowler, and in the three games in which he was tried for Middlesex in 1881 took four wickets for 102.

MR. WALTER BADELEY PATTISSON, who died at Beckenham on November 6th, entered Tonbridge School at the age of nine, and was a member of the school eleven in 1869, 1870, and 1871, being captain in the last year and always keeping wicket. He left school at the age of sixteen, and eventually became a partner in Messrs. Hores, Pattisson, and Bathurst, solicitors. It was in consequence of his business engagements that he was unable to play regularly for his county. He was playing for Kent when Mr. W. G. Grace made his famous score of 334 at Canterbury. His first appearance for the county was in 1876, when he played at Brighton against Sussex and made 36 in the second innings. He continued to play occasionally for the county until 1887, sometimes captaining the team. Altogether he appeared for Kent in twelve matches, making 214 runs with an average of 10.70, and occasionally playing under the name of W. Batt. After giving up first-class cricket in 1888 he was elected to the Committee of the Kent County Cricket Club. From 1872 to 1880 he was the hon. secretary of the Tonbridge Cricket Club, and from 1886 to 1888 the hon. Secretary of the Bickley Park Cricket Club, for which he made many hundreds. Mr. Pattisson was also prominent as a Rugby Union player, and at three-quarter he took part in some of the international trials in 1874, 1875, and 1876. He was not only one of the many first-class cricketers, but also one of the finest athletes produced by Tonbridge School. He was born at Witham, in Essex, on August 27th, 1854.

THE 14th EARL OF PEMBROKE died at Naples on March 30th. He was born February 20th, 1853, and was President of the M.C.C. in 1896.

MR. CLEMENT PERERA, a well-known member of the Singalese Sports Club, died at Colombo in June.

MICHAEL PIERCE, who died in Sydney on February 4th, at one time gave promise of making a name for himself as a player, being a sound bat and good field and a slow bowler who kept a good length and could make the ball break both ways. By far his greatest feat was to take eight wickets for 111 and five for 154 for New South Wales v. South Australia, at Adelaide, in December, 1892. Subsequently he settled in Queensland, but represented that State only once-against the English team in 1894-5, when he did nothing of note.

MR. HERBERT PIGG, the well-known Hertfordshire cricketer, died suddenly in Manitoba on June 8th. He was born at Buntingford, Herts, September 4th, 1856, and appeared for his native county from 1876 to 1897, having previously assisted Northamptonshire in 1874 and 1875. As a member of the Cambridge XI of 1877 he did practically nothing against Oxford, scoring only a couple of runs in his two innings and having nine runs scored off him without taking a wicket. Subsequently he took part in the Hastings Week with success, making 7 and 59 and taking eight wickets for 125 for South v. Australians in 1886, and in two Gentlemen v. Players" matches, in 1889 and 1891, scoring 54 for twice out and obtaining a dozen wickets for 13.66 runs each.

JOHN PRESTON, who died in Birmingham on February 16th, aged 74, played a few times for Warwickshire in 1882 and 1883, when past his prime. He soon dropped out of the side, but attended the Edgbaston ground whenever a county match was in progress there.

CHARLES QUEST, one of the best-known players in the Northants district 40 years or so ago, died on August 2nd. At his best he was a capital bat, a useful bowler and a very smart field.

MR. OLIVER REDGATE died at Nottingham on May 11th, in his 50th year. He played a few times for Notts in 1891, 1892, and 1894, but never realised expectations. In club cricket, however, he was to be feared.

MR. JOHN E. ROBERTS, who died at Medomak, Maine, on August 15th, was born at Leeds on December 10th, 1856. He was the chief bowler in the Metropolitan District Cricket League Championship in New York in 1899.

MR. ARTHUR ROBINSON, who died at Bristol on February 24th, was on the Committee of the Gloucestershire County C. C., and Captain of the Clifton C. C. He was a member of the famous Backwell House family.

COL. BARTON SCOBELL, who died at Kingwell Hall, Somerset, on July 18th, aged 76, was a great lover and keen supporter of the game.

MR. THOMAS SHEEHY, who died at Hobart on June 21st, was Secretary of the Southern Tasmania C. A. from 1868 to 1894. He was a very fine field, especially at long-stop, and did much good early organizing work for Tasmanian cricket.

MAJOR W. H. SHEPHERD, a Vice-President of the Yorkshire County C. C. from 1893 until his death, died at Hadleigh, Suffolk, on January 20th, aged 78.

MR. FREDERICK A. SLADE, who fell off a motor-boat into the Hudson on June 28th, and was drowned, was in the Ardingly XI in 1887 and captain of the Manhatten C. C. in 1903. He was 43 years of age.

MR. S. C. SLATTER, for many years Hon. Secretary of the Cross Arrows, died on July 13th.

MAJOR ROBERT B. STEWART, who died at Cala, Cape Province, on September 12th, aged 57, was in the Wellington XI in 1872-3-4, being captain the last year, when he made 745 runs, with an average of 33. His highest innings was 176 v. Classical. He also headed the bowling averages, taking 72 wickets for less than ten runs each. For some years he was quite first-class as a batsman, and at cover-point he was brilliant. In South Africa, where he was stationed many years, his best feat was to score 150 for King Williamstown against Port Elizabeth in 1879-80.

MR. CHARLES STOKES, Hon. Treasurer of the Yorkshire County C. C., died at Sheffield on October 7th, at the age of 65. He had been a member of the Committee for thirty-six years.

THE REV. CHAMPION WALBANK STREATFEILD, who died at Lillington, Leamington, on April 12th, was born September 28th, 1837, and was in the Winchester XI, in 1854 and 1855. In the Public Schools matches-one against Harrow and two against Eton-he did very little, scoring only 35 runs in four completed innings. Lillywhite"s Guide said of him: Has a good defence, but requires more confidence… His long-stopping was excellent.

MR. HERBERT EDWARD SUGDEN, who played twice for Derbyshire in 1882, scoring 9 and 1 v. Australians and 0 and 3 v. Lancashire, died at Bradford on May 14th, aged 50.

MR. NOEL DUGLEY TAGART, of the Clifton XI of 1896 and two following years, died at Molyneux Park, Tunbridge Wells, on October 8th, at the early age of 34. He was a good batsman, a fine field at point and occasionally of use as a change bowler. He averaged 31 for Clifton in 1896, 19 in 1897, and 44 in 1898, when he was captain. In the last mentioned year he scored 103 v. Incogniti, and 54 and 51 v. Cheltenham. He did not succeed in obtaining his blue at Cambridge, and in the few matches in which he subsequently appeared for Gloucestershire, did not succeed in making more than 28 in an innings.

MR. HARRY THORNBER, captain of the Cheshire Eleven about a quarter of a century ago, died in Middlesex Hospital in July. He was described by Lillywhite as a steady bat, with sound defence; fair change bowler; excellent judge of the game.

CAPT. FRANCIS DYKES WALKER, of the M.C.C., I Zingari, and Yorkshire Gentlemen C.C., died on January 5th, at Dalry Cottage, Harrogate. He was a very great lover of the game.

MR. CHARLES THOMAS WEATHERBY, a partner in Messrs. Weatherby, stakeholders to the Jockey Club, who died at Hayward"s Heath on June 24th, was born in May, 1860, and was in the Winchester XI from 1877 to 1879, being captain the last year. Lillywhite"s Companion for 1880 described him as a fair bat and field, and said that he worked hard for success all the term. In his three matches with Eton he made only 28 runs in six innings.

HAROLD WHICHELOW, of Berkshire, died in the Royal Berkshire Hospital on January 14th at the early age of 23. In 1907 he was appointed to the ground-staff of the Reading Amateur Sports Club, and two years later played his first match for Berkshire. He was a most promising cricketer, and in 1910 had headed the County"s batting averages with 52.

LEES WHITEHEAD, at one time a member of the Yorkshire Eleven, died of pneumonia on November 22nd, at West Hartlepool. Born on March 14th, 1864, he was in his 50th year. When he came out for Yorkshire in 1889, Whitehead showed considerable promise as a fast bowler, taking fifty-two wickets for the county that season in all matches. However, he did not improve on his early performances, and though associated with Yorkshire for a number of years, he could only be described as a useful cricketer. He often travelled with the team as twelfth man-a thankless position. It is likely that if connected with a weaker county than Yorkshire, Whitehead would have taken a higher place in the cricket world. He was not quite good enough for the brilliant company in which he found himself; still he was always a capable bat and bowler.

MR. JOHN W. WIGLEY, of the Trenton C.C., died at the Mercer Hospital, Trenton, New Jersey, on October 25th, aged 59.

MR. HENRY WILLIAMS, honorary secretary of the Thames Ditton C. C. for 21 years, died on November 29th.

THE REV. WILLIAM WINGFIELD, who was born at Gro, Montgomeryshire, September 30th, 1834, died at Cotton Hill, Shrewsbury, on April 19th. Scores and Biographies (v-29) said of him: As a batsman he is very hard hitter, especially forward and to leg, and in the field was noted as a wicket-keeper till his hands gave way, and then he generally took long leg or cover-point. He was in the Rossall XI in 1850, 1851, and 1852, and in that of Cambridge in 1855 and two following years. In his three matches against Oxford, owing largely to a score of 54 in the game of 1857, he made 85 runs in six innings. Against the M.C.C. in 1855 he had played an innings of 69. From 1853 to 1881 he appeared for Shropshire. In June, 1855, he was the coxswain of the Cambridge crew that defeated Oxford in the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley, and in 1856 he filled a similar position on the occasion of the Cantabs" defeat of the Oxonians on the Thames.

GEORGE COLLINS WINGHAM, for 46 years groundman and professional at Shorncliffe Camp, died on November 25th, aged 76. He appeared occasionally for Kent 2nd XI, and as recently as last season took part in good class club matches. In 1908, at the age of 71, he took 331 wickets for 3,912 runs, average 8.79, and made 916 runs with an average of 19.91. In 1906 he obtained 265 wickets, and in the following year 266. He was a slow bowler with plenty of top spin.

DR. L. FORBES WINSLOW, a well-known specialist in mental diseases, who was born in London on January 31st, 1844, died suddenly on June 8th. At Cambridge he was captain of the Downing College XI, and all his life he was a close follower of the game.

MR. RODMAN WISTER died at the Media (Penn.) Hospital on August 4th, in his 70th year. He was founder for the Young America C.C., and a member of a well-known American cricketing family.

MR. JOHN J. (HICKORY) WOOD, author of The Cricket Club of Red Nose Flat, died at Purley, Surrey, on August 25th, aged 54.

MR. WILLIAM HAMILTON YATMAN, of the Winchester XI of 1836, died at Bournemouth on January 13th, in his 94th year. He was born on April 6th, 1819, and was Father of the University Boat Race, having pulled for Cambridge as far back as 1839. He scored 11 (highest in match for either side) v. Harrow, and 2 and 1 v. Eton, and it is worthy of note that in the two games, although only 347 runs were obtained from the bat, extras amounted to 214.

JOHN H. YOUNG, who played a few times for Derbyshire in 1899, 1900 and 1901, died on August 2nd, aged 37. He was born at Melbourne, near Derby, on July 2nd, 1876, and began his professional career with a year"s engagement at Old Trafford. His best score for his county was 42 v. Leicestershire, at Derby, in 1900. Subsequently he accepted engagements at Southport, Bootle, and Chard.

The following Deaths occurred during 1912, but particulars were not received in time for inclusion in WISDEN"S ALMANACK for 1913.-

THE REV. WILLIAM HENRY ARUNDELL, who died at Bournemouth on November 29th, 1912, was born at Cheriton Fitzpaine, in Devon, on May 4th, 1842, and was educated at Cheltenham, where he was in the Eleven in 1861. In the match with Marlborough, which Cheltenham won by seven wickets, he scored 21. He was then described as A promising bowler and fair bat. He will always be best remembered for an innings of 201 not out, made in about six hours without a chance, for Gentlemen of Cheshire v. Gentlemen of Shropshire, at Chelford, in June, 1873. His county cricket was played for Devon and Cheshire, for the latter shire whilst Curate of Chelford in 1872 and 1873. He was father of the Rev. W. R. H. Arundell and Capt. Arundell, was an enthusiastic angler, an excellent shot, and an ardent follower to hounds.

MR. J. W. EGGLESTON, who played for Victoria v. New South Wales in March, 1869, died in October, 1912.

MR. GEORGE ELLIOTT, who died at Farnham on December 14th, 1912, aged 83, was a very useful club cricketer in his day. He was father of G. F. Elliott, who died in April.

COL. ARCHIBALD GRACIE, who was on the Titanic when the vessel went down the previous April, died in New York on December 4th, 1912. He was born in Mobile, Alabama, in 1858, and kept wicket for Staten Island in 1895 and 1896.

MR. JOHN HAIGH, President of the Lascelles Hall C.C., died at Rochester, U.S.A., December 14th, 1912. Both his father and grandfather had been identified prominently with the Club, and his death at the early age of 40 was much regretted. He was born December 2nd, 1872.

MR. FREDERICK JAMES IRONSIDE, a well-known follower of the game in Sydney, died at Moore Park, Sydney, on December 24th, 1912. He was born March 3rd, 1836, and complied several small handbooks on the game.

MR. FRANCIS BRERETON NEWETT, who was born at Belfast, February 7th, 1875, died at Port Arthur, Ontario, September 13th, 1912. He was in the Rossall XI in 1892, 1893, and 1894, being Captain the last year. In 1893 he headed the School averages with 26: his highest score was 137 v. Liverpool C. and G., two days after making which he obtained 199 in a minor game. He was a keen worker in the field, and as a batsman combined sound defence with good punishing power. For some years he was captain of the North of Ireland C.C., and in 1902 won the Irish Amateur Golf Championship.

CAPT. LAWRENCE EDWARD GRACE OATES, who died on March 17th, 1912, his thirty-second birthday, whilst returning from the South Pole with Capt. Scott"s ill-fated party, played cricket for his House as a lower boy at Eton.

CHEVALIER EPIFANIO RODRIGUEZ, who died in London November 26th, 1912, aged 57, was a well-known M.C.C. and Emeriti cricketer. He was known facetiously as The best cover-point in Spain.

T. SHERRIN, a well-known maker of Australian cricket-balls, died November 19th, 1912.

© John Wisden & Co