Other deaths in 1916

MR. JOSEPH CHARLES ADAMS, who died at Addlestone on January 21, aged 44, was a well-known cricketer in West Surrey. In 1911 he obtained over a thousand runs in club cricket before the end of July, and on July 1 that season made 229 for Addlestone v. J. U. C. Watt's XI on the Addlestone ground, he and A. E. Darling (168*) adding 392 together for the second wicket. At the Oval in 1908 he scored 30 and 93 not out for Surrey 2nd XI v. Wiltshire.

SAMUEL APTED, born at Reigate on July 21, 1848, died there on December 21. From 1874 until 1888 he was groundman to the Bickley Park C.C., and from the latter year until the end of 1911 (when he resigned on account of ill-health) occupied a similar position at the Oval. A painstaking and thoroughly deserving man, he gave every satisfaction during his long association with the Surrey County C.C. The excellence of his wickets had long been proverbial. They were so good as to drive even the best bowlers to despair. In 1910 the proceeds of the Surrey v. Kent match at the Oval were given to him as a benefit, with the result that he cleared upwards of £1,400. In his young days he had been a useful all-round cricketer, and as far back as 1867 had been chosen to play for the Surrey Colts. In a match against Shooters Hill he once took as many as seventeen wickets. He was a man respected by all who knew him. For many years he had been an intimate friend of the veteran Surrey cricketer, William Caffyn.

MR. HARRY THOMPSON ARNALL-THOMPSON, born at Belgrave, Leicestershire, on April 7, 1864, died at Anstey Frith, near Leicester, on December 28. In 1880 and two following years he was in the Rugby Eleven, being captain in 1882, and in his matches v. Marlborough took twenty-two wickets for 9.63 runs each and made 36 runs with an average of 12.00. Originally a fast bowler, it was on the advice of Mr. C. F. H. Leslie (the Rugby captain of 1880) that he took to slows, a style with which all his subsequent successes were obtained. He was left-handed with a high delivery, a useful batsman and a good field at slip or mid-off. During his last year at Rugby he bowled admirably, taking sixty-three wickets for exactly twelve runs apiece. In his two last matches for the School he took seven wickets in an innings for 67 runs v. Marlborough and eight in an innings for 55 v. M. C. C. and Ground, both games being played at Lord's. At Oxford he commenced well by taking seven wickets for 47 runs in the Freshmen's match of 1883, but it was not until 1886 (when he had an analysis of seven for 82 v. Lancashire at Manchester) that he obtained his blue. On his only appearance against Cambridge he scored 6 and 4 and took four wickets for 52 runs. From 1883 until 1890 he assisted Leicestershire, and in 1888 and 1889 captained the side. Against Yorkshire at Leicester in 1883 he took ten wickets for 112 runs and performed the hat-trick; v. Warwickshire a year later he obtained seven wickets for 19; and in 1888--when, under his leadership, the side beat both the Australians and Surrey--he had analyses of ten for 52 v. Essex at Leyton and nine for 65 v. the Colonials. In a minor match in 1884 he took all ten wickets in an innings, obtaining five with consecutive balls and six with seven. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1886. Whilst playing Shacklock's bowling in the Leicestershire v. M. C. C. and Ground match at Lord's in 1889, he had a painful and curious experience. The ball flew off the edge of his bat on to his eyebrow and rebounded to the bowler. Arnall-Thompson was momentarily stunned, and as the blood flowed freely suggested he should retire and finish his innings later. It was then gently broken to him that he was out, caught-and-bowled.

FREDERICK ASQUITH, born at Leeds on February 5, 1870, died at Hull on January 11. For many years he played for the Hull C.C., keeping wicket well and making good scores. In 1903 he appeared for Yorkshire v. Gloucestershire at Sheffield and made two catches.

MR. RALPH ATTEY, who died at Sunderland in January, aged 80, kept wicket for Durham in his young days.

MR. EDWARD COMPTON AUSTEN-LEIGH, a member of the well-known cricketing brotherhood, died at Eton College (where he had been a master from 1861 until 1905) on April 3, aged 76. In 1857 he played for Eton against both Harrow and Winchester, scoring 35 runs in his three innings, and he was then described as A very useful bat, but not quite quick enough in the field. At Maidenhead in July, 1860, he played an innings of 190 for Gentlemen of Berkshire v. Gentlemen of Sussex. He represented Cambridge University at tennis and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1869.

MR. THOMAS HENRY BARNARD, who died at Kempston Hoo, Bedford, on March 16, aged 50, was in the Eton Eleven in 1884 and 1885, in the latter year making 250 runs and being second in the averages to H. Philipson with 27.77. In his four Public School matches he scored 119 runs in five competed innings, his greatest success being to make 28 and 55 not out v. Winchester in 1885. He was described as An erratic fast bowler, but often very useful; has a splendid old-fashioned style of hitting: he was also a good out-field and sure catch. Since 1886 he had been a member of the M.C.C. For many years he was Secretary of the Oakley Hunt.

MR. WILLIAM HENRY BARNSBY, of Walsall, who died in January, aged 49, was for many years a well-known batsman in Birmingham League cricket.

DR. JOHN EDWARD BARRETT, born at South Melbourne on October 15, 1866, died at Peak Hill, West Australia, on February 9. He was educated at Wesley College ( Melbourne), and played in turn for South Melbourne, Melbourne University and Sydney University. When only 17 years of age he appeared for XV of Victoria against the 4th Australian team, but his first match for his State XI was against South Australia, at Melbourne, in the following season, when he took five wickets for 31 runs in the first innings and six for 49 in the second. His chief scores for Victoria were 69, 56, and 55 v. New South Wales and 68 not out v. South Australia. His medical studies kept him out of cricket for some time, but he visited England with the Australian team of 1890 and was successful. His highest innings during the tour were 97 v. An England XI at Manchester, and 96 v. Oxford and Cambridge Universities at Portsmouth. In the Test match at Lord's he carried his bat through the innings for 67. As a batsman he was left-handed with very strong defence, almost invariably playing a patient game although he could hit when he chose. He was a useful change bowler, medium-paced, with a high action.

MR. ARTHUR WILLIAM BARTON, who died at Philadelphia on August 28, aged 50, was a useful batsman who played for the Albion C.C., of Camden, New Jersey.

WILLIAM BEAVER, of Saltaire, who died on January 12, aged 69, was a very useful bowler and for some years groundsman of the Club.

COL. RICHARD BISS RILAND BEDFORD, who died about August, aged 86, played for the Free Foresters in 1859. He was brother of the late Rev. W. K. R. Bedford, founder of the Club.

MR. RICHARD BENYON BERENS, who died at St. Mary Cray on October 28, aged 82, played for the West Kent C.C. Four generations of his family have assisted the Club. His son, Mr. Richard Berens, was one of Lord Hawke's team which visited the West Indies in 1897.

MAJOR-GENERAL ERNEST A. BERGER, late of the 10th Lincolnshire Regiment, was born on December 3, 1839, and died at Southsea, of influenza, on March 20. He was in the Winchester Eleven of 1856, when he was first in the batting averages with 25. It was then said of him: Has a good defence and hits well all round: is a very good field; a fair wicket-keeper and a good change bowler. Against Eton he scored only 4 and 11.

MR. JOHN BEVERIDGE, who died at Kensington (N.S.W.) on March 15, aged 67, was formerly well known in Sydney club cricket, especially in connection with the Surrey United C.C.

DR. CHARLES CORBETT BLADES, M.D., for very many years a member of the Surrey County C.C. Committee, died on April 9, aged 81.

THE REV. GEORGE JOHN BLORE, D.D., Hon. Canon of Canterbury since 1887, was born on May 5, 1835, and died at Canterbury on February 6. In 1853, when he had a batting average of 8 for Charterhouse, it was said of him: A steady bat and frequently makes good scores. He is also a very average bowler and quick in the field. He was Headmaster of King Edwards's School, Bromsgrove, from 1868 to 1873, and of King's School, Canterbury, from 1873 until 1886. The Rev. E. W. Blore, the Cambridge Blue, was his brother.

MR. J. BROWN, who was born on February 7, 1864, and died at Copenhagen in December, aged 52, appeared in two matches for Sussex in 1890, scoring 31 runs with an average of 7.75. In minor cricket in the Eastbourne district he made many enormous scores. In 1889 he made 288 not out for College House v. Cliffdown, and in the following year 202 not out for the same side v. Willingdon. It has been stated that during the season of 1891 he obtained as many as eighteen hundreds, the highest score being 228.

MR. FRANCIS HENRY BROWNING (Lieut.-Col. of the Veteran Corps of the General Reserve), born on June 23, 1868, was killed in Dublin during the Sinn Fein rebellion on April 24. In 1885 and 1886 he was a member of the Marlborough Eleven, averaging 13.00 in the former year and 16.50 in the latter and making 36 runs in two innings in his matches against Rugby. Later he played for Trinity College, Dublin, and the Gentlemen of Ireland, and at his best was an excellent wicket-keeper and an effective batsman with a pretty style. He had played in representative Irish matches against the Australians, South Africans, and Philadelphians, and also in England, Scotland, and America. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1890 and was President of the Irish Rugby Football Union. By profession he was a barrister.

MR. GEORGE BULL, who died in London on September 10, aged 57, was an Australian journalist who toured with the 1896 team. He was the author of a booklet entitled The Australians in England.

THE REV. THOMAS FAWCETT BURRA, late Rector of Daglingworth ( Gloucestershire), was born at Dorking on August 14, 1844, and died at Swinfels, Chertsey, on July 21. He was in the Tonbridge Eleven in 1860 and two following years, heading the batting averages in 1861 and 1862 with 25 and 17 respectively; in 1862 he was captain of the side. He was then described as: A very good and steady bat, and though his style is peculiar is a safe run-getter; a safe field anywhere; with practice a good wicket-keeper; also a good lob bowler. At Oxford, where he was in the University College Eleven, he played for the Freshmen in 1863 and in one match for the University in 1866, scoring 28 not out v. Gentlemen of Warwickshire. Later he assisted the Gentlemen of Sussex. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1888.

MR. E. A. BUSH, a brother of Mr. F. W. Bush and Lieut.-Col. H. S. Bush, died in London on August 23, aged 49. He was a very useful batsman and had played for Teddington, Belsize, and other Metropolitan clubs. During the last few seasons he made some good scored in Ireland.

MR. ROBERT BUTLER, a nephew of George Parr, born at Radcliffe-on-Trent on March 8, 1852, died at Nottingham on December 19. He was educated at the Collegiate School, Newark, and Loughborough Grammar School, and in Scores and Biographies was described as A fine free hitter, especially to leg, and in the field also he is good, generally taking mid-wicket-off and long-leg. In 1870 he began to assist Nottinghamshire, and in his first match for the county--v. Kent, at the Crystal Palace--played an innings of 60 and, in partnership with Daft, took the score to 100 after three wickets had fallen for 14. Owing to business claims he was seldom seen in first-class cricket, and he was only 25 when he made his last appearance for Nottinghamshire. In 1876 he played for the South against the North in Daft's benefit match at Nottingham and scored 20.

THOMAS ARTHUR BUTLER, born at Radcliffe-on-Trent on January 2, 1849, died in New York City on March 19. For several years he was captain of the Radcliffe team, and before going to America in 1887 gained more than a local reputation as a wicket-keeper. Subsequently he accepted professional engagements with the Staten Island C.C. and the Seabright (New Jersey) C.C. He was a batsman of the stonewall order, and one of the original members of the New York Veteran Cricketers' Association.

MR. WALTER CALDICOTT, who died at Battenhall, Worcester, on September 4, aged 70, was a useful bowler about forty years ago, and occasionally played for Worcestershire. He was a member of the County side which met the first Australian team, at Dudley, in 1878.

MR. J. J. CALVERT, who died at Manly (N.S.W.) on March 19, aged 85, was formerly Secretary of the old Albert C.C. and a member of the New South Wales Cricket Association, of which for a time he was President.

COL. WILLIAM ALEXANDER CARDWELL, V.D., who died at Eastbourne on August 30, was for many years a prominent figure in Eastbourne cricket and a great enthusiast of the game. He was the first Alderman of Eastbourne and the third Mayor of the Borough.

MR. B. A. CARTER, who died in the last week of August, was Treasurer of the Pallingswick C.C. for nearly 40 years.

MR. SIDNEY CHRISTOPHERSON, who died at Bournemouth on September 28, aged 53, was a member of the Christopherson XI, composed of a father and ten sons, which used to play in the Blackheath district. Only two members of the Family team--Messrs. Stanley and Percy Christopherson--now survive.

MR. THOMAS COOPER CLIFF, who was born at Audlem, Cheshires on December 24, 1896, died in New York City on May 17. He was a generous supporter of American cricket, and was President of Columbia Oval for 25 years, of New York Cricket Association in 1903, 1904, and 1910, and of the Van Cortlandt Park League from 1911 until his death. As a slow bowler he met with success for several years.

THE 9TH BARON CLIFFORD OF CHUDLEIGH (LEWIS HENRY HUGH CLIFFORD), born on August 24, 1851, died in London on July 19. He was in the Stonyhurst Eleven and subsequently played for the Emeriti. Many pleasant matches took place at his seat, Ugbrooke Park, Chudleigh.

MR. CHARLES COLLINS, of the Dunedin C.C., was killed in a motor-car accident at Mosgiel, Dunedin, on July 1.

MR. EDWARD MATHEWS CREGAR, born in Philadelphia on December 28, 1868, died at his native place of cancer, after a long illness, on May 6. He was a fair batsman and fast bowler, and a brilliant field, who played in turn for Tioga, Belmont, and Philadelphia. In 1897 his figures for the Philadelphian team in England were 320 runs (average 16.00) and twenty-three wickets (average 27.13); during the tour of 1903 they were 219 (average 10.95) and twenty-six (average 24.07) respectively. In 1908 he was Manager of the Philadelphian side which visited us. His best performance was undoubtedly to take eight wickets in an innings for 35 runs against Warwickshire at Coventry in 1903. He was a fine type of sportsman, genial and popular, and stood 6ft. 3in. He it was who induced J. B. King to take to cricket.

MR. EDWARD CUTLER, K.C., born on May 4, 1831, died in London on December 22. In 1849 his batting gained him a place in the Eton Eleven, but in his two Public School matches he did little, scoring only 5 and 5 v. Harrow-- bowled each time by Reginald Hankey--and 8 v. Winchester. He did not obtain his Blue at Oxford. He was father-in-law of Mr. A. J. Webbe.

MR. T. H. DANIEL, who died in the second week of January, aged 80, was for many years President of the Moseley C.C.

MR. RICHARD HARDING DAVIS, F.R.G.S., who died in New York in April, aged 52, was a well-known journalist who toured England with one of the Philadelphian teams.

MR. WILLIAM ARTHUR DAWSON, who died at Ilkley on March 6, aged 65, was in the Marlborough Eleven of 1869. Against Rugby he took ten wickets for 87 runs, but obtained spectacles, C. K. Francis (who obtained seventeen wickets in the match) bowling him both times. It was said of him: A straight and difficulty medium-paced bowler and uses his head to some purpose; very nimble in the field. He represented Cambridge against Oxford in the 100 yards race in 1870, 1871, and 1872, and for a time was the champion of England over that distance. He played Rugby football for Yorkshire.

MR. WILLIAM EVELYN DENISON, born at Woolwich on February 23, 1843, died at Ossington Hall, Newark, on September 24. He was not in the eleven while at Eton, but was a good batsman, a slow round-armed bowler and generally fielded at short-slip. He was for some years seen much in military cricket, his first match at Lord's being for Royal Artillery v. Household Brigade, in May, 1867. Since 1867 he had been a member of the M.C.C., of which he was President in 1892, and had served on the Committee of the Club 1882-85, 1887-90, 1893-96, and 1898-1901. He had also been President of the Notts, County C.C. and of the Cricketers' Fund Friendly Society. In 1878 he retired from the Royal Artillery with the rank of Captain. From 1874 until 1880 he was M.P. for Nottingham. In 1900 he published, for private circulation, a pamphlet entitled: Observations on the Proposed Alteration of the Law of L.B.W. His father, Sir William Denison, whilst Governor of New South Wales, did much to encourage cricket and to have the area on the Sydney Domain granted for and laid out as a cricket-ground.

SIR KENELM EDWARD DIGBY, K.C.B., G.C.B., K.C., born at Tittleshall, Norfolk, on September 9, 1836, died at Swanage on April 21. He was in the Harrow Eleven from 1852 until 1855, being captain the last three seasons, during which the side won all its matches against Eton and Winchester. In his seven Public School games he made 170 runs with an average of 14.16, his highest score being 53 v. Eton in 1854. At Oxford he obtained his Blue in 1857, and in his three appearances against Cambridge made 10 not out and 38, 57, and 11 and 4. Subsequently he played occasionally for Norfolk and Oxfordshire. Scores and Biographies (iv-399) remarks of him: Is a fine free hitter to the leg and off, makes splendid drives, and also keeps wicket well......It is to be regretted he did not participate in the great contests of the day, as he would no doubt have shown to advantage. From 1895 until 1903 he was Permanent Under-Secretary of the Home Office.

MR. ROBERT DORAN, who was drowned in the Tweed (Queensland), in January, aged 49, was a well-known club cricketer in Queensland.

MR. FRANK DOWNES, who died in Little Bay Hospital, Sydney, on May 20, aged 51, was a left-handed bowler formerly well-known with the old Oriental C.C., in junior cricket, and with the Carlton ( Sydney) in senior. He appeared occasionally for New South Wales, and in his matches v. Victoria took eight wickets for 329 runs and had a batting average of ten.

DR. NORTON DOWNS, who died at Fordhook Farm, Philadelphia, on April 15, as the result of a revolver accident, played for the Germantown C.C. in 1892 and 1893. He was born on October 2, 1867.

CAPT. WILLIAM VERNON ECCLES, late of the Rifle Brigade, died at Borstal, Rochester, on June 20, aged 54. He was well-known in Army matches and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1891.

MR. LUCAS EWBANK, senior Fellow of Clare College, Cambridge, died at Torquay on May 17, aged 80. In 1860 he was in the Clare College Eleven, and was then described as A moderate bat and good long-stop. He helped to lay out the Clare and King's ground at Cambridge.

MR. MAYNARD CAMPBELL EYRE, who was born at Staten Island on October 3, 1854, died at Clifton (S.I.) on May 12. Although a good slow bowler and fair bat, he was not in the Eleven whilst at Harrow, but he played with success for Staten Island from 1881 until 1890.

FRANK HENRY FARRANDS, born at Sutton-in-Ashfield on March 28, 1835, died at Mansfield on September 22. Scores and Biographies said that he was a most excellent fast round-armed bowler, a tolerable bat, and can field well, generally at slip. He appeared occasionally for Nottinghamshire in 1871 and 1873, but, considering his skill, was seen all too seldom in matches of note. In 1870, at Lord's, he came into the Players' team at the last moment as a substitute and took ten wickets for 88 runs, but never again had an opportunity of appearing against the Gentlemen. Twice during 1873 he took all ten wickets in an innings--for M. C. C. and Ground v. Gentlemen of Worcestershire at Worcester for 36 runs, and for Lord Huntly's XI v. M. C. C. and Ground at Aboyne Castle. In 1881 the match at Lord's between Over 30 and Under 30 was set apart as a benefit for him. He became a member of the ground-staff at Lord's in 1868 and remained there until 1908, becoming head of the staff. He was extremely well-known as a capable umpire, especially at Lord's, and it was estimated that in forty years he officiated in two thousand matches.

COL. JAMES FELLOWES, born at the Cape of Good Hope on August 25, 1841, died at Dedham, in Essex, on May 3, Scores and Biographies said of him: Has been successful in the matches in which his name is found, being a very hard hitter, and a fast round-armed bowler, while in the field he can take any place with effect, except long-stop or wicket-keeper. Between 1873 and 1881 he appeared in nine matches for Kent, and in later years for Hampshire (of which Club he was for some seasons co-Secretary with Dr. Russell Bencraft) and Devon. The county grounds at Southampton and Exeter were laid down under his supervision, and he was founder of the Hampshire Hogs and Devon Dumplings. Against Chatham Garrison, at Chatham in August, 1874, he obtained sixteen wickets.

In strictly first-class cricket his greatest feats were to take seven wickets for 24 runs for Kent against Surrey at Maidstone in 1873, and 13 for 100 for Kent v. Lancashire on the same ground in 1874. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1869, and at Lord's in 1887 took part in the Centenary match between XVIII Veteran Gentlemen and XI Gentlemen of the M.C.C. As a curious occurrence it may be recalled that, when playing for M.C.C. v. Woolwich at Lord's in 1871, he hit his foot with his bat in playing the ball and broke one of his toes. When playing for North Kent XVIII v. United South of England Eleven, at Gravesend in 1875, he made 20 runs--three 6's (all over the pavilion) and a 2--off a four-ball over delivered by W.G. He was father-in-law of Col. W. C. Hedley.

THE REV. HENRY WALTER FITCH, Rector of Nether Broughton, died at Nottingham on September 18, aged 63. He was in the Bury St. Edmunds' Grammar School Eleven, being Captain in 1873. At Cambridge he played in the Freshmen's match of 1874, scoring 16 and 0 and taking five wickets in an innings for 107, but was not tried in the Eleven. Later he played for Rutland.

WILLIAM FOULKE, born at Dawley (Salop) on April 12, 1874, died in a private nursing-home in Sheffield on May 1. In 1900 he played in four matches for Derbyshire, making 65 runs with an average of 10.83, his highest innings being 53 v. Essex at Leyton. He was the famous goal-keeper of Sheffield United, was 6ft. 2½in. in height and very heavy--at least 25 stone, but always active.

MR. GERALD FOWLER, brother of Mr. W. Herbert Fowler, was born in Essex on July 27, 1866, and died at Trull, Taunton, on May 24, after an operation for appendicitis. In 1883 and two following years he was in the Clifton Eleven, being captain in 1885, when he scored 235 runs with an average of 18.07, his highest innings being 128 v. Old Cliftonians, and headed the bowling with a record of sixty-three wickets for 10.50 runs each. He had been first in the bowling figures the previous year, taking fifty-one wickets at a cost of 17.00. It was said of him in 1885: Is a good medium-paced bowler with considerable break and spin; and sometimes very deceptive; a fine, hard-hitting bat, but rather wanting in patience captaincy. At Oxford he obtained his Blue in 1888, and in the drawn match with Cambridge scored 0 not out and took five wickets for 48 runs. He assisted Essex between 1884 and 1889, after which he appeared for Somerset. His highest score in County cricket was 118 for Somerset v. Gloucestershire at Bristol in 1895, when he and L. C. H. Palairet (80) scored 205 for the first wicket; this was the match in which W.G. obtained his historic 288, his one-hundredth century in first-class cricket. Mr. Fowler was the Hon. Treasurer of the Somerset County C.C. from 1896 until 1916, and also for many years captain of the Taunton C.C.

COL. THE HON. JUSTIN FOX GREENLAW FOXTON, C.M.G., born on September 24, 1849, died at South Brisbane in May. He was educated at the Melbourne Grammar School, had been a member of the Australian Cricket Board of Control since 1907, was President of the Queensland Cricket Association, and chairman of trustees of the Brisbane Cricket Ground.

MR. HAROLD FREEMAN, who was born on January 15, 1850, died in a nursing-home in London on July 15. He was not in the Eleven whilst at Marlborough, but played later for Marlborough Blues, Abbots Langley, and Hertfordshire. He was a Rugby International and one of the founders of the Oxford University Rugby F.C. He made himself famous by dropping a goal in great style with the left foot for England in the second match with Scotland--played at the Oval in February, 1872. He was a son of Professor Freeman, the historian.

MR. J. P. A. GEOGHEGAN died in Swansea Hospital during the second week of April after an operation, aged 49. He was educated at St. Charles College and played for the Middlesex Colts, St. Thomas' Hospital, and various clubs in the Metropolitan district. About thirty years ago he went as professional to Swansea for two seasons, and subsequently played for Glamorgan as an amateur. He was a useful all-round cricketer.

MR. WILLIAM GOLLAR, who died on August 31, aged 58, played for Otago v. Canterbury, at Christchurch, in 1890-1. He was associated with the Albion C.C., of Dunedin.

DR. ALFRED GRACE, the last of the famous brotherhood, who was born at Downend on May 17, 1840, died in a nursing home in Bristol on May 24, and was buried at Chipping Sodbury. He never appeared at Lord's, but was very useful cricketer, his usual post in the field being long-stop. As a player he at no time ranked with his brothers, but in local cricket he scored several hundreds, and when only fifteen years of age formed one of the Gloucestershire XXII which met the All England Eleven at Bristol. Although he was not in the front rank of cricketers, he stood out as one of the finest horsemen in England, and for many years followed the Duke of Beaufort's hounds three or four times a week. He was known as The Hunting Doctor. For many years he practised as a surgeon at Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire. He never got over the tragic death of his son, Dr. Gerald Grace, in South Africa.

MR. CHARLES ERNEST GREEN died at his home near Epping on December 4. To the present generation Mr. Green was chiefly known as the leading spirit of the Essex County Club, but lovers of cricket whose memories go back to the seventies will remember him as one of the most brilliant batsmen of his day. He learnt the game at Uppingham, being, indeed, one of the first men who earned for that school any cricket reputation. In later years he rendered the school an incalculable service by inducing the late H. H. Stephenson to take up the duties of cricket coach. That step, as everyone knows, produced astounding results, Uppingham during Stephenson's reign turning out a succession of remarkable players. On leaving Uppingham Mr. Green went to Cambridge, and was in the University eleven from 1865 to 1868 inclusive, captaining the team in his last year. Of the four matches in which he took part against Oxford, Cambridge lost those of 1865 and 1866, but won the other two. It was Mr. Green's good fortune to have an exceptionally strong side under his command in 1868, the eleven including W. B. Money, H. A. Richardson, J. W. Dale, C. A. Absolom, George Savile, J. M. Richardson (afterwards so famous as a gentleman rider), and W. S. O. Warner. Of those seven players only Money and H. A. Richardson are now alive. Cambridge gained an easy victory over Oxford by 168 runs, Mr. Green, with 44 and 59, heading the score in each innings. Three years later, in the Gentlemen and Players' match at the Oval, he played the innings of his life. His score was only 57 not out, but the way in which he won the game against time will never be forgotten by those who were so fortunate as to be present. He made his last 27 runs in seven hits, and at the finish he had just three minutes to spare. As different statements have appeared in print it is only right to state that the Gentlemen in that memorable match were left to get 144 runs in an hour and three-quarters. Their victory has been made to appear even more remarkable than it was.

At Lord's, in 1870, for the M. C. C. and Ground against Yorkshire, Mr. Green played a great innings of a different kind, he and W. G. Grace standing up to Freeman and Emmett on a wicket so rough as to be quite unfit for a first-class match. Mr. Grace made 66 and Mr. Green 51, but they paid a high price for their runs, being covered with bruises from ankle to shoulder. The late Mr. Henry Perkins said, after the lapse of over thirty years, that the batting that day was the pluckiest he ever saw., and Freeman and Emmett used, in talking about the match, to wonder how the batsmen escaped serious injury, so dangerously did the ball fly about on the rough ground. Mr. Green played in his young days for both Middlesex and Sussex, and became identified with Essex long before that county took a prominent place in the cricket world. He was fond of recalling the fact that two Cambridge cricketers who threw in their fortunes with Essex-- A. P. Lucas and the late C. D. Buxton--followed him at the University at intervals of ten and twenty years respectively, and, like himself, played four times against Oxford. Lucas was in the Cambridge eleven from 1875 to 1878, and Buxton from 1885 to 1888. Mr. Green was a partner in the firm of F. Green and Co. and a director of the Orient Steamship Company. He was President of the M.C.C. in 1905. Master for a long time of the Essex Hunt, he was even more devoted to hunting than to cricket, being out four days a week every season for years.--S.H.P.

MR. GEORGE T. GROVES, who died on October 25, wad editor of W. Whittam's Modern Cricket, and a journalist by profession. He was father of Mr. G. J. Groves, who has played for Nottinghamshire.

MR. DAVID HAIGH, who died on November 24, aged 68, was a member of the Yorkshire County C.C. Committee and one of the founders of the Sheffield United C.C.

SANDERS HANFORD, born at Wilford (Notts.), in 1859, died in hospital at Boston, U.S.A., on January 17. He won unknown to fame in this country, but in America he proved himself an excellent coach and umpire. After being engaged with Rushton (Northants.) in 1880 and the Ulster C.C., of Belfast, in 1881 and 1882, he was with the Young America C.C. from 1883 until 1889, and the Philadelphia C.C. from 1890 for almost sixteen years. He accompanied teams to the Bermudas, West Indies and Canada as umpire.

PRIVATE FREDERICK PERCY HARDY (County of London Yeomanry), born at Blandford on June 26, 1881, was found dead on the floor of a lavatory at King's Cross station (G.N.R.) on March 9. His throat was cut and a blood-stained knife was by his side. He was on the Oval ground-staff in 1900 and 1901 and began to appear for Somerset in 1903. In consecutive innings for the Surrey Colts in 1901 he made 141 v. Wandsworth and 144 not out v. Mitcham Wanderers. In 1910 he played two excellent innings at Taunton, making 91 v. Kent and 79 v. Surrey. He was a left-handed batsman and a useful right-handed medium-paced change bowler.

MR. HERBERT MERRICK HARFORD, when at his best a dashing batsman with sound defence and a capital out-field, died of pneumonia at Bushey on December 29, aged 43. He played frequently for Hertfordshire between 1898 and 1911, and captained the side with sound judgment. His most successful season was 1908, when he scored 182 runs with an average of 22.77, his highest innings being 82 v. Bedfordshire at Watford, where he and W. H. Marsh (47 not out) added 127 for the last wicket. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1901.

MR. ALFRED E. HASSALL, a Derbyshire man by birth, died at Brooklyn (N.Y.) on January 22, aged 50. He played in Derbyshire club cricket until 1884, and then went to America, where he became a useful member of the Fort Hamilton C.C.

MR. ALFRED GARDINER HASTINGS, who died in London on December 26, aged 69, was in the Winchester Eleven in 1866, when he scored 8 and 3 against Eton and averaged 14 for the season. It was then said of him: Over cautious as a bat, but remarkably neat and finished in style. He was good at point. He did not obtain his Blue at Oxford.

MR. JOHN HEALY, who died suddenly of heart failure in his office in Melbourne on May 17, aged 65, was one of the founders of the Hotham (now North Melbourne) C.C. and Secretary of the Victorian Cricket Association. A sound bat and brilliant outfield, he played for the East Melbourne C.C. and in February, 1881, appeared for Victoria v. New South Wales at Sydney, scoring 12 and 4. He was the father of Mr. Gerald Healy, who has played with success for Victoria.

WILLIAM HEARNE, elder brother of J. T., was killed by an explosion at Wapping, Liverpool, on November 16, aged 56. For many years he was engaged at Wellington College, prior to which he was at Burton Court, Chelsea, with the Household Brigade. During the summer terms of 1914 and 1915 he was bowling at Winchester College. He never played in first-class cricket, but appeared in the Hearne family XI when such a side took the field.

MR. HARRY HEATON, who died at Shirebrook in the first week of July, aged 56, was well-known in the Lancashire League, first with the Colne C.C. and later with Accrington. He was a fast scorer and hard hitter, and in 1901 headed the Accrington averages with 29.00, making three hundreds. His highest score that season was 125, but his best feat was to make 101 not out v. Church.

MR. EDWARD HILL, who died in November, was well-known in the West Riding district. For about thirty years he was associated with the Dewsbury and Savile C.C., of which he was for some time the captain.

MR. ADAM HOPE, who died on October 9, played for Victoria v. New South Wales at Sydney in 1862-3, scoring 8 and 2 and making three catches. He had been a member of the Melbourne C.C. for almost sixty years.

MR. CHARLES SOUTHERN HOPE, born November 9, 1837, died in London on March 18. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1854 and 1855, and in the latter year was described as One of the best players in the Eleven, being a fine bat and a very good bowler. Against Eton in 1855 he scored 19 and 4 and took six wickets. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1867.

MR. JOHN KEMNITZ, who died suddenly in the last week of August, was an old member of the Albion C.C., of Dunedin.

BRIGADIER-GENERAL ARTHUR ROBERT KENNEY-HERBERT, late of the Madras Cavalry and formerly Secretary to the Government of Madras, died in London on March 5, aged 75. He was in the Rugby Eleven from 1856 until 1859, in the last-mentioned year (when he was captain) playing a hard-hit innings of 90 at Lord's against M.C.C., who had Dean and Royston to bowl for them. That year he was second in batting, with an average of 17.00. In his one match against Marlborough--in 1857--he scored 39 and took four wickets fro 34. He was the best bowler of the side whilst at Rugby, and an excellent short-slip.

MR. EDWARD MAXWELL KENNEY-HERBERT who died at Ealing on January 24, was born at Bourton Rectory, Rugby, December 10, 1845. Fifty years ago he was a good all-round cricketer and was then known as E. M. Kenney simply, not assuming the additional name of Herbert until 1875. As a member of the Rugby Eleven of 1864 he scored 74 v. Marlborough on the old Cattle Market ground at Islington, and averaged over 25 runs an innings for the season. Proceeding to Oxford, he obtained his Blue in 1866 and in his three matches against Cambridge took twenty-two wickets for 235 runs; in the 1868 game, which Oxford lost by 168 runs, he obtained 6 for 51 in the first innings for 8 for 68 in the second. His bowling was fast left-hand round the wicket, but he batted right-handed and was a good and free hitter. In 1868 he scored 68 for his University against Surrey at the Oval. Between 1864 and 1869 he appeared occasionally for Warwickshire, but unfortunately was not seen in first-class cricket as frequently as his skill entitled him. He was elected to the M.C.C. in 1882 and was a member of the Free Foresters. It may be added that he was also a very good rackets player, and that in 1866 he declined the honour of representing his University at that game against Cambridge.

JOHN KING, associated with the Scarborough C.C. for almost 45 years, died on December 29, aged 82. In his day he had been a useful fast right-hand bowler. For the Club v. Harrow Wanderers in 1871 he took all ten wickets in an innings.

MR. SIDNEY J. LAMBERT, who died suddenly in Wellington (N.Z.) during the last week of September, had played on a few occasions for Otago. He was a fast round-armed bowler, and against Canterbury at Dunedin in 1873-4 took three wickets for 4 runs. later he was a well-known umpire in Wellington.

THE REV. EDWARD BERNARD LANE, who died at Bristol on December 4, aged 37, was for several seasons one of the best forcing batsmen in Bristol club cricket.

COL. ARTHUR MOFFATT LANG, C.B., R.E., an Indian Mutiny veteran, was born on November 15, 1832, and died at Guildford on August 6. He was not in the Eleven at Rugby or Cheltenham, but captained the team at Addiscombe and subsequently kept up the game in India and Burma.

MR. THEODORE LEESE, who died at Crickets Hill, Weybridge, on December 25, aged 42, was in the Eleven at Winchester in 1893, after being twelfth man the previous year. He was excellent at point and a good but nervous batsman. In his only match v. Eton he scored 7 and 0, and made four catches. His batting average was 12.00 in 1892 and 12.93 in 1893. He did not obtain his blue at Cambridge. He was the fourth son of the late Sir J. F. Leese, Bart., of Lancashire.

SIR JOHN LESLIE, 1st Bart., born on December 16, 1822, died in London on January 23, aged 93. He was the last surviving original member of I. Zingari, the oldest Blue, and (since the death of Sir Spencer Ponsonby-Fane) the oldest member of the M.C.C.; he had been elected to the Club on May 31, 1841, on the proposal of the Hon. E. H. Grimston, seconded by the Hon. Robert. He was not in the Eleven whilst at Harrow, but played for Oxford against Cambridge, at Oxford, in 1843, scoring 8 and 12; Cambridge won by 54 runs, R. Blaker (grandfather of Mr. R. N. R. Blaker) and B. S. T. Mills bowling for them unchanged throughout. Sir John was a cousin of the great Duke of Wellington, and could recall having seen George IV and Talleyrand.

SIR FRANCIS LEY, 1st Bart., born on January 3, 1846, died at Epperstone Manor, Notts, on January 17. He was President of the Notts. County C.C. in 1907.

MR. FRANK DAWSON LEYLAND, who died in London on April 20, aged 60, was in the Harrow Eleven in 1873, being a batsman with a pretty style, a very fast right-hand bowler and a good field. He had a batting average of 9.54 and his fifteen wickets cost only 8.33 runs each. Against Eton he scored 9 and took six wickets for 44--three for 19 and three for 25, Harrow winning by five wickets.

MR. LEWIS VAUGHAN LODGE, born December 21, 1872, was found drowned in a pond near Buxton, in Derbyshire, on November 21. He was in the Eleven at Durham School and played for both Durham County and Hampshire, being a useful batsman. Apart from making 48 and 55 in the only two innings he played for Durham in 1897, he did little in country cricket. At Cambridge he played for the Freshmen in 1892 and for the Seniors in 1893. He was a well-known Association footballer, being a Cambridge blue and an international.

MR. Alfred Lubbock died at Kilmarth Manor, Par, Cornwall, on July 17. Cricketers who memories go back to the early'70's will recall Alfred Lubbock as one of the greatest batsmen of those days. Mr. Lubbock had a short career in first-class cricket, practically giving up the game before he was 28, but so long as he appeared in public he was in the very front rank. There were no Test matches in his time, but in his best seasons he would have had every right to play for England. Indeed, it was for England against Middlesex at Lord's, in 1867, that he made his highest score in a big match--129. W. G. Grace, then a lad of under 19, was on the same side, and scored 75. There was something appropriate in the two young men doing so well together. In the pages of Scores and Biographies, it is stated that, with the exception, perhaps, of W. G. Grace himself, no one ever did so much with the bat up to the age of 20 as Alfred Lubbock. This is a sweeping claim, but there is abundant evidence to support it.

Lubbock was in the Eton eleven for three seasons, captaining the side in 1863. Bearing in mind the comparatively small scoring at that time, it is safe to say that in the whole history of Eton cricket his batting for the school in 1863 has never been surpassed. He scored 174 not out against Winchester, 0 and 80 against Harrow, and he had, if one remembers rightly, an average of 58. Even R. A. H. Mitchell--generally regarded as the best of all Eton batsmen--never had a school season so brilliant. Leaving Eton before he was 18, Lubbock played a little first-class cricket in the next three years, but did nothing exceptional. In club matches, however, he made hundreds of runs, playing in 1866 an innings of 200 against the Royal Engineers. Then in 1867 he revealed his full powers against the best bowling, following up his 129 for England at Lord's with 107 not out for Gentlemen against Players at the Oval. For the moment he threatened to be W. G. Grace's most formidable rival. In subsequent years, however, he was not seen very often, but whenever he cared to played he was sure of his place in the Gentlemen's Eleven at Lord's. He was, indeed, one of those rarely-gifted batsmen who could at any time step into a big match and play as well as if he had been in full practice for months. He finished with Gentlemen and Players matches in 1871, failing in the wonderful match that C. E. Green won for the Gentlemen at the Oval, but scoring 42 and 21 against George Freeman's bowling at Lord's and 0 and 41 in John Lillywhite's benefit match at Brighton. Altogether he played eight times for the Gentlemen between 1866 and 1871, scoring 396 runs, with an average of 30--a very fine record at that time.

Alfred Lubbock was a member of the team that R. A. FitzGerald took to Canada and the United States in the autumn of 1872, and in Wickets in the West--FitzGerald's account of the tour--there are many references to him. In those vivacious pages he is always spoken of as Alfred the Great. The travelling team played a match at Lord's in 1873 against Fourteen of the M.C.C., with Rylott. In that match--his last at Lord's, or, at any rate, his last of any consequence-- Lubbock showed that his skill as a batsman had in no way left him. Getting 46 not out, he kept nearly all the bowling to himself, scoring six or seven times from the last ball of the over--a remarkable feat with fifteen men in the field.

Those who remember Alfred Lubbock in his great days will agree that no batsman was better worth looking at. For grace of style he held his own with the first Tom Hayward, Richard Daft, and C. F. Buller. An enthusiastic American critic said of him that he carried batting into the region of the fine arts. In the field he was very brilliant at long leg and cover point. Born in London on October 31, 1845, Alfred Lubbock was in his 71st year.--S.H.P.

MR. JOHN MALPASS, who died at Consett (Durham) in February, aged 60, was a well-known local cricketer in his younger days. He kept wicket for the Consett and District C.C. when the team won the Durham Country Cup in 1891.

JOHN MARSH, the well-known aboriginal fast bowler, died in hospital at Orange (N.S.W.) on May 26. He played Grade cricket for the South Sydney and Sydney Clubs, and also appeared for New South Wales. In the match with Victoria at Sydney in February, 1901, he was no-balled seventeen times for throwing by R. Crockett, of Melbourne; the other umpire, S. P. Jones, however, allowed his bowling as fair. A few seasons later he had a six months' tour through the Commonwealth with a Hippodrome company, being exhibited in the role of a fast bowler and demonstrating his skill to any countrymen who were anxious to stand up against him.

SIR RICHARD BIDDULPH MARTIN, 1st Bart., who was second cousin of the brothers Norman, of Eton, was born in Eaton Square on May 12, 1838, and died at Overbury Court, Tewkesbury, on August 23. Like his father and brothers, he was an enthusiastic member of the West Kent C.C., and played occasionally for the Club. He was not in the Eleven either at Harrow or Oxford. His family's love of cricket was commemorated in a poem by Benjamin Aislabie.

MR. AUGUSTUS GEORGE MELLY, who died on January 4, aged 51, was a well-known Liverpool cricketer.

MAJOR SIR HENRY PAULET ST. JOHN MILDMAY, 6th Bart., born on April 28, 1853, died at Dogmersfield Park, Winchfield, Hampshire, on April 24. He was a good, steady bat and safe field, who had played occasionally for Hampshire and also for the Household Brigade. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1875, and was formerly in the Grenadier Guards.

MR. CRAIG SCHOFIELD MITCHELL, who died at Philadelphia on August 10, aged 33, was a member of the Philadelphia C.C. Eleven which visited England in 1912.

PREBENDARY GERALD HENRY MOOR, Vicar or Preston, Brighton, since 1905, died on May 31, aged 65. He was born at Tunbridge Wells on July 19, 1850, and was in the Radley Eleven in 1865 and three following years, being captain in 1868. He was a steady batsman and played occasionally for the Gentlemen of Sussex between 1869 and 1875. In club cricket his activities were chiefly with the Forest Row and East Grinstead Clubs.

MR. GEORGE MOORE, who was born at Ampthill, in Bedfordshire, on April 8, 1820, died at Maitland (N.S.W.) on September 29, in his 97th year. He went to Australia in 1852, and played against the English teams taken out by Stephenson, Parr and W. G. Grace. In his matches v. Stephenson's side he was very successful as a bowler, taking three wickets for 10 runs and five for 20 for XXII of New South Wales on the Sydney Domain, and four for 22 and six for 39 for a combined XXII of N.S.W. and Victoria on the same ground. He played in three of the matches between New South Wales and Victoria; at Melbourne in 1871-2 he took six wickets for 56 runs, and at Sydney in the following year three for 17. He was grandfather of C. G. Macartney.

MR. WILLIAM MORTIMER, born on May 2, 1874, died at Crowborough on October 31. He was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1892 and 1893, being second in the batting averages with 22.91 in the former year and first with 30.46 in the latter. In his two matches against Rugby he was very successful, his three innings realising 106, 38 and 98. In the autumn of 1895 he visited America as a member of Mr. Frank Mitchell's team, but took part in only two games. He was a steady bat and a good field at point. At Cambridge he obtained his blue for Rugby and later appeared for Blackheath, the South, Kent and England. He also represented the University at hockey.

THE HON. JOHN MURRAY, M.L.A., who died on June 21, was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Melbourne Cricket Ground. He was Premier of Victoria 1909-1912.

MR. PHILIP M. NEWLAND, born at Adelaide on February 2, 1876, died on August 11. In Australia he ranked high as a wicket-keeper, but when he visited us as second wicket-keeper in the team of 1905 he found the varying pace of our pitches too much for him. During the tour not much work fell to his lot, but this was owing partly to the fact that he was not very robust. For South Australia, for which he appeared for the first time during the season of 1899-1900, he played several useful innings, among them 77 v. New South Wales and 50 v. England, both at Adelaide in 1903-4. By profession he was a solicitor.

MR. ALLAN GORDON CAMERON NEWSUM, born at Bridgetown (Barbados) on January 6, 1872, died in New York City on May 28. He was a fair cricketer, playing with Columbia Oval for several years and afterwards with the Manhattan C.C. of Brooklyn, New York.

MR. STEPHEN COX NEWTON, born at Nailsea (Somerset) on April 21, 1853, died in a nursing-home at Ipswich on August 16, after an operation. Scores and Biographies described him as A fine and free hitter, and a most excellent field. At cover-point he was one of those who came nearest in excellence to the incomparable Vernon Royle. At Victoria College, Jersey, where he once threw the ball 120 yards in the Sports, he was in the Eleven for as many as seven seasons, 1866 to 1872 inclusive, heading the averages in 1867, 1868, 1869, 1870, and 1872, when he played an innings of 117 v. Elizabeth College, Jersey. He was captain during his three last years at the College. At Cambridge he obtained his Blue in 1876, but made only 7 in the match with Oxford. Between 1876 and 1890 he assisted Somerset, and captained the side from 1880 until 1884. In 1885 he appeared, under the residential qualification, for Middlesex. For some years he was Headmaster of Loudoun House School, St. John's Wood. Since 1878 he had been a member of the M.C.C. He was not related to Mr. A. E. Newton, also of Somerset.

MR. WILLIAM NICHOLSON, who died on April 8, aged 96, played for many years for Maidenhead C.C., of which he was President to the day of his death. He was not related to Mr. William Nicholson of Harrow and the M.C.C.

MR. FREDERICK HENRY NORMAN, born at Bromley on January 23, 1839, died in London on October 6. He belonged altogether to a cricketing family, his father, two brothers and a son having (like himself) all been in the Eton Eleven; he was, too, a nephew of the famous Mr. Herbert Jenner-Fust and related by marriage with the Barnard, Bonham-Carter, Dyke, Nepean and Wathen families. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1854 and three following years, being captain in 1857, and in that of Cambridge for three seasons, commencing 1858, and captain in 1860. In his matches against Harrow and Winchester he made no long scores, but against Oxford in 1858, when he obtained his Blue as a Freshman, he played a first innings of 43. He was a free and attractive batsman, hitting well and successfully, and making many large scores. At Cambridge in 1858 he made 100 for the University v. Cambridge Town Club, and at Lord's, in 1859, 103 for Gentlemen of Kent v. Gentlemen of England. He played in excellent style, perhaps rather too much forward for the rough wickets of his time, when the ground at Lord's was fiery and dangerous. On modern wickets he would doubtless have been a great success. He had been coached by Martingell. In the field he was generally long-leg and cover-point. He was a member of the original Committee of the Kent County C.C., formed at Maidstone in 1859, and also one of the original Trustees of the Mynn Memorial Benevolent Institution for Kentish Cricketers. Between 1858 and 1864 he appeared in ten matches for Kent, and at Lord's in 1858 assisted the Gentlemen against the Players. He used sometimes to play for the Home Circuit--he was admitted a barrister, Inns of Court, in 1863--which had some very good cricketers, Robert Marsham, R. A. Bayford, etc., and some famous men like Sir George Honyman, A. L. Smith and the Hon. A. F. Thesiger, who all became Judges. In one of the Home Circuit's matches, at Maidstone, Mr. Norman got over a hundred, and to commemorate the event Honyman (with whom he read law) gave him some law books; a bat would perhaps have been more appropriate. Mr. Norman had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1863 and served on the Committee of the Club from 1866 to 1868.

MR. WILLIAM SOUTH NORTON, born at Town Malling on June 8, 1831, died in the Charterhouse, London, on March 19. Scores and Biographies said: He is a very steady batsman, combined with occasional hard hitting, especially to square-leg. Bowls round armed of middle speed also, and in the field is often point. He played for Kent in 63 matches between 1849 and 1870, scoring 1,378 runs with an average of 13.50 and taking twenty wickets at a cost of about 22 runs each. His two highest innings for the Country were in 1866--120 not out v. Sussex and 59 v. Surrey, both at Gravesend. He was captain of the side for some years, and in 1859 became joint honorary secretary with Lord North to the old Kent County Club, formed that year at Maidstone, the latter position he retained until the re-formation of the County Club in December, 1870, but Lord North resigned after holding office for one season only. For the Gentlemen of Kent Mr. Norton's best score was 96 not out v. Gentlemen of Sussex at Brighton in 1864, and in a match between the same sides at Tunbridge Wells in 1861 he took seven wickets for 19 runs. Two of his brothers, Messrs. Bradbury and Selby Norton, and two cousins (Messrs. W. O. J. Norton and Thomas Selby) also appeared occasionally for Kent. Mr. Norton wrote an important chapter in the History of Kent County Cricket.

DR. G. PAGENSTECHER, born in Saxony in 1828, died at the Portway, West Ham, in February, aged 88. Up to 1910 he was a member of the Committee of the Essex County C.C., and for a short time the secretary. He did much to obtain West Ham Park for the people. In his younger days he had been a useful cricketer

JAMES INKERMAN PAYTON, born November 5, 1854, died at Nottingham on March 1, aged 61. He was formerly well-known in connection with Warwickshire cricket.

THE REV. ARTHUR CYRIL PEARSON, born on January 9, 1838, died at St. Leonards-on-Sea on November 8. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1855 and 1856, and in his two matches against Eton scored 11 runs in four innings and took three wickets. His fielding was remarkably good.

THE HON. THOMAS HENRY WILLIAM PELHAM, C.B., born at Stanmer Park. Lewes, December 21, 1847, died at Putney Hill on December 23. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1866, when he scored 30 and 13 not out v. Winchester and 0 and 9 v. Harrow. Scores and Biographies said of him: He is a good batsman, field well, generally at mid-wicket-on or third man, and can bowl slow round-armed. He did not obtain his blue whilst at Cambridge. Since 1881 he had been a member of the M.C.C. The Hon. F. G. Pelham, afterwards 5th Earl of Chichester, who played for Eton and Cambridge, was his elder brother.

MR. Frank Penn, the famous Kent batsman of a generation back, died on the 26th of December at his home, Bifrons, near Canterbury. Though little of nothing had been seen of him in the cricket field for thirty-five years he was far indeed from forgotten. Born at Lewisham on March 7, 1851, Mr. Penn had a short but very brilliant career, ranking for several years among the finest batsmen of his day. He had a free, commanding style, and combined strong defence with splendid hitting. Stepping out of ordinary club cricket into first-class matches, he was, from the beginning, thoroughly at home in his new surroundings. He began to play for Kent in 1875, and in the following year he was seen at Lord's for the first time, scoring 44 and 35 for M.C.C. against Yorkshire. No doubt was felt as to his class. Indeed he made such an impression that he was picked for Gentlemen against Players in 1876, both at the Oval and Lord's. Thenceforward he was in the front rank. Unfortunately, his health gave way just when he was at the height of his fame. In the season of 1881 he was attacked by an affection of the heart and, being forbidden to run, had perforce to give up the game. Among those who helped Lord Harris to re-establish Kent cricket no one did better work than Mr. Penn. His best year for the county was 1877 when he made 857 runs in twenty-four innings--three times not out--with an average of 40. He made many big scores for Kent, the highest being 160 against Surrey, at Maidstone in 1878; 148 against Surrey, at the Oval in 1877; and 135 against England, at Canterbury in 1877. Perhaps the innings of his life, however, was 134 at Lord's, for M.C.C. against Cambridge University, in 1879, when he treated A. G. Steel's bowling as it had never been treated before. He had finished with cricket before Test matches became frequent, but it was his privilege to play for England against Australia at the Oval in September, 1880, in the first of the long series of contests in this country. Scoring 23 and not out 27, he made the hit that gave England a victory by five wickets in that memorable game, cutting George Palmer for four. Now that he is dead the only survivors of the England eleven of 1880 are Lord Harris and Mr. A. P. Lucas. Mr. Penn was a member of Lord Harris's team in Australia in 1878-9. He appeared eight times for Gentlemen v. Players, batting well, but without any conspicuous success. His best score was 52, at the Oval in 1876. As a batsman, Mr. Penn had one advantage over many of his contemporaries. Learning the game against bowlers not devoted to the off theory he knew the joy of real leg hitting. He could hit as hard to square leg as William Oscroft. He was President of the Kent County Club in 1905.--S.H.P.

DR. JOHN ALEXANDER CAIRNS PENNY, a Dublin man by birth, died at Gayndah (Queensland) on April 18, aged 55. A very good all-round cricketer, he played much in Ireland--for the Leinster C.C. and Gentlemen of Ireland--before settling in Australia in 1886. He played against Shrewsbury's team whilst in Australia, but did not take part in representative eleven-a-side games.

MR. Henry Perkins, so well known to all classes of cricketers as secretary of the Marylebone Club, died on the 6th of May at his home, Ormskirk, New Barnet. Born at Sawston, Cambridgeshire, on December 10, 1832, he was in his 84th year, and had survived nearly all the contemporaries of his early days in the cricket field. He went from Bury St. Edmund's Grammar School to Cambridge, and played once against Oxford at Lord's, scoring 5 and 27 in 1854. Mr. Perkins never rose to fame as a player, but he was a hard hitting bat, a fearless fieldsman, and, following the fashion of his time, he bowled lobs. It was his privilege to take part in many a good match at Southgate when Mr. John Walker and his brothers provided the best club cricket that could be seen in England. He played for Cambridgeshire in the great days of Hayward, Carpenter and Tarrant, and tried hard, but without success, to keep the county club going when he became honorary secretary--1866 to 1868. To the end of his life he was fond of recalling a famous match between Cambridgeshire and Surrey at the Oval in 1861. He was in at the finish with Alfred Diver, Cambridgeshire winning by two wickets. In that match Hayward, Carpenter and Julius Cæsar all made hundreds. Mr. Perkins did not become a personage in the cricket.

The professional lob bowlers ended practically with Walter Humphreys. Ridley had not so much spin as some of the men named, but he had excellent judgment, and was quick to find out a batsman's weak points. In fielding his own bowling he was brilliant indeed, fearing nothing. Ridley was in the Eton eleven in 1870 and 1871, and in the Oxford eleven from 1872 to 1875. He played a very fine innings of 117 against Harrow in 1871, but in his four matches against Cambridge he scored only 61 runs in seven innings, once not out. Captain of the Oxford team in 1875, he won a sensational match against Cambridge at Lord's by six runs. Cambridge had gone in to get 175, and with seven wickets down the score reached 161, or only 14 to win, H. M. Sims and W. S. Patterson being well set. At this point Mr. Ridley put himself on with his lobs, and with his first ball he bowled Patterson. G. Macan was next in, and amid great excitement seven runs were added. Then a very fine catch at long on got rid of Sims. A. F. Smith, the last Cambridge man, had to face Ridley, and the situation proved too much for him. He stopped two balls, but the third clean bowled him, and the match was over. That was the greatest day of Ridley's cricket life. Except the two runs' victory for Cambridge in 1870, when F. C. Cobden did the hat trick, there has never been such a finish to the University match.

During his career Mr. Ridley did many brilliant things in the cricket field. His highest innings in first-class matches was 136 for Middlesex against Surrey at Lord's in 1883, but perhaps his best was 103 for Gentlemen against Players at Lord's in 1876. He played for Hampshire from 1875 to 1878 and for Middlesex from 1882 to 1885. In Gentlemen and Players matches he scored 491 runs with an average of 24.55 and took nineteen wickets. Though good enough for any eleven he was never picked for England against Australia. For the Gentlemen of England against the Australians at Lords in 1884, however, he played an innings of 68--the highest score on the side. He was born at Newbury, Berkshire, on September 11, 1852.--S.H.P.

MR. WILLIAM C. ROBISON, of the Sydney Crown Law Office, died during the first week of July. He was educated at Sydney Grammar School, and played for New South Wales v. Queensland at Sydney in March, 1894, scoring 15 and 0. In Sydney he was associated with the Canterbury and Burwood clubs.

MR. LAURENCE WILLIAM SIMPSON ROSTRON, who died at Broadstairs on May 14, aged 43, was in the Winchester Eleven in 1891, being contemporary with Messrs. J. R. Mason, H. D. G. Leveson-Gower and R. P. Lewis. Against Eton he scored 41 and 9 and was sixth in the batting averages with 16.83. It was then said of him: A most useful man to send in first, as he is patient and has a good defence. Later he played for the Beddington C.C. of Surrey, and he had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1892.

THE RIGHT HON. JAMES ROUND, P.C., who was born at Colchester on April 6, 1842, died at Birch Hall, Essex, on December 24. He was educated at Eton, where he was in the Eleven in 1860 with R. A. H. Mitchell and the Hon. C. G. Lyttelton, being then regarded as a first-rate long-stop, a useful lob-bowler and a steady and painstaking batsman. Against Harrow he scored 0 and 20 and v. Winchester 5 and 22. Whilst at Oxford he developed into the best amateur wicket-keeper of the day and led the Christ Church Eleven; curiously enough, however, he did not receive his Blue, although while still in residence he was chosen for the Gentlemen v. Players match at Lord's. Of his four appearances against the Players decidedly the most successful was that at the Oval in 1867, when, besides scoring 29, he caught 3 men and stumped 2 and allowed only one bye in a total of 249; altogether he had a hand in the downfall of eight wickets during the innings. On the Magdalen Ground, in 1867, he scored 142 for Southgate v. Oxford University. For many years he appeared with success for Essex, and until the close of the season of 1882 was Treasurer of the County C.C. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1865, and served on the Committee from 1869 until 1871. For 38 years he represented East and North-East Essex in the House of Commons.

MR. WILLIAM IRVINE ROWELL, born at Singapore on June 18, 1869, died at Stansted, Essex, on December 17. A very useful and steady batsman and a good field, he was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1886 and 1887, being captain the latter year. In his matches against Rugby and Cheltenham he made 115 runs in eight innings, his highest score being 65 v. Cheltenham in the former year. At Cambridge he did little of note, and it was due to an innings of 53 at Lord's for the M.C.C. against the University that he received his Blue in 1891. Against Oxford he scored only 3 and 1, and for Cambridge during the season he made but 69 runs in eight innings. Subsequently he played often for the Marlborough Blues. During the season 1890-1 he received his Blue for Rugby football. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1889.

MR. JOSEPH ROWLEY, a hard-hitting left-handed batsman of the old Albert C.C. of Sydney (N.S.W.) died in October, aged 56.

MR. CHARLES DUNELL RUDD, born in Norfolk in 1844, died in London on November 15, aged 72. He was not in the Eleven whilst at Harrow, although no mean cricketer, but in 1862 won throwing the cricket-ball. Subsequently he was a generous supporter of the game in Kimberly, South Africa. Mr. C. J. E. Rudd, of the Harrow Eleven in 1890 and 1892, was his son.

MR. JOHN RUSCOMBE POOLE SANDFORD, of the Sudan Civil Service, who died at Khartoum on July 29, aged 35, was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1898, when he had a batting average of 10.00.

MR. ANTONIO SANS Y CABOT, born in Cuba in 1848, died on January 2. He was a very enthusiastic supporter of cricket and for many years had been associated prominently with the Philadelphia C.C. At the time of his death he was Governor of the Club, and for several seasons he had been its Treasurer.

MR. EDMUND SCANLON, who died at Newton (N.S.W.) on January 9, played for New South Wales v. Victoria at Melbourne in December, 1877, when, going in last, he scored 25. He was a good batsman and wicket-keeper.

MR. ARTHUR SHAW, of Huddersfield, a Golcar man by birth, was drowned accidentally in the Colne, at Golcar, on March 22, aged 57. In 1886 he helped to found the Huddersfield Cricket Association and in 1891 the Huddersfield Cricket League. He had played for Golcar, and was a good friend to Yorkshire professionals.

JOSEPH SILCOCK, born at Matchling Green, Essex, on June 24, 1832, died at Bishop Stortford on March 21. He was left-handed both as batsman and bowler and for very many years was identified with the Bishop Stortford C.C. In 1882 the match between Hertfordshire and Essex, at Bishop Stortford, was given to him as a benefit. He was cousin of Frank Silcock.

HARRY SLATER, who died on November 20, played occasionally for Derbyshire between 1882 and 1887. He was a useful fast bowler, and a fair bat and field. Three of his sons have appeared in county cricket.

MR. WILLIAM ALDWIN SOAMES, born at Brighton, on July 10, 1850, died in London on December 27. He was in the Brighton College Eleven in 1868 and three following years and in 1875 appeared in three matches for Sussex. His experience in county cricket was unfortunate, for he failed to score in four consecutive innings--v. Hampshire at Brighton and v. Gloucestershire at Cheltenham. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a good average bat and fields well at long-leg or cover-point. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1874.

MR. R. A. STRAWSON, who died on April 8, aged 64, was for many years a member of the Lincolnshire County C.C., and a good bowler.

MR. MARSHALL TAYLOR, who died at Bishop Stortford on February 24, aged 79, was formerly a well-known amateur cricketer playing for Hertfordshire, M.C.C. and Bishop Stortford.

MR. JAMES RICHARD THORNTON, born on January 11, 1861, died at Burgess Hill on March 1. He appeared in one match for Sussex in 1881, and again in 1883, making 67 runs with an average of 16.75 and taking one wicket for 30 runs.

MR. DAVID TONG, for 27 years Secretary of the Elland C.C., died in January.

THE HON. WILLIAM JOSEPH TRICKETT, M.L.C., born on September 2, 1844, died in the first week of July. He was for some years President of the New South Wales Association.

MR. BERTIE WENTWORTH VERNON, a generous supporter of Northamptonshire cricket, died at Stoke Bruern Park, Towcester, on February 28, aged 69.

SIR HEREWALD WAKE, 12th Bart., born on July 19, 1852, died at Courteenhall, Northampton, on January 5. He was a supporter of Northamptonshire cricket and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1874.

MR. EDWARD PREST WARD, a Yorkshireman by birth, died at Victoria (B.C.) on October 29. A good wicket-keeper and batsman, he played for St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, and--later--in British Columbia. He was Vice-President of the Victoria District Cricket Association. His highest score was 124 for Albion v. Burrard.

MR. GEORGE TOWNSEND WARNER, one of the senior masters at Harrow, died suddenly at Harrow on September 23, aged 51. He was not in the Eleven either at Harrow or Cambridge, but was very fond of the game, and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1893. The Rev. G. T. Warner, the Devonshire cricketer of about forty years ago, was his father.

MR. JOHN WHITE, who died at Bury St Edmunds on November 24, aged 59, used to play for the Bury and West Suffolk C.C. He was a prominent member of the Suffolk Hunt.

MR. REMINGTON WALTER WHITE THOMSON, born in 1861, died at Hans Place, London, on January 29. He was in the King's College XI, of Cambridge, in 1884.

MR. WILLIAM WHYMPNER, who died at Esher on January 28, aged 32, was a useful all-round member of the Surbiton C.C.

MR. JOHN WILLIAMS, who died in Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney (N.S.W.) during the second week of July, aged 61, was for many years well known in Sydney cricket, first with the old Osborne C.C. and later with the Ivanhoe. He was a fast-medium right-handed bowler.

PROFESSOR ARTHUR MASON WORTHINGTON, C.B., F.R.S., born at Manchester on June 11, 1852, died at Oxford on December 5. He was not in the Eleven at Rugby, but played later for Trinity College, Oxford.

MR. JOSEPH MAGHULL YATES, K.C., the County Stipendiary at Manchester, died at Dunham Woodhouses, near Altrincham, on April 17, aged 71. He was in the Westminster Eleven in 1861 and 1862, being top of the batting averages in the latter year, when it was said of him: A very neat player. Has some very promising points in batting, hits well to leg, and also cuts well; his fielding at long-stop is not to be surpassed; bowls well at times. In 1866 he played for Cambridge University v. M. C. C. and Ground, at Cambridge, scoring 10, but did not obtain his Blue.

Particulars of the following Deaths were not received in time for inclusion in WISDEN'S ALMANACK FOR 1916:--

MR. EDMUND RICHARD HAWKINS, who was born at Karachi, in India, on April 1, 1871, died at White Plains, N.Y., on November 30, 1915. He was educated at the Bedford Grammar School and, after leaving England, organized a cricket club at Manaos, Brazil, and identified himself in the United States with the Crescent Athletic Club. He was also a member of the New York Veteran Cricketers' Association. He was an aggressive batsman and a brilliant field.

MR. SPENCER THOMAS OLDHAM, born at Sutton-in-Ashfield on January 9, 1854, died at Mount Washington on December 26, 1915. He was well-known in connection with the Baltimore C.C., and in 1884 scored 149 for the club v. John Hopkins University.

world till he succeeded Mr. Fitzgerald at Lord's. He became secretary of the M.C.C. in October, 1876, and ruled--an easy-going autocrat--till the end of 1897. About the great things that happened at Lord's during his long period of office--most important of all the appearance of the first Australian eleven in 1878--a substantial volume could be written. Even after the time for retirement had come he was constantly at the old ground--he was one of the M.C.C. auditors to the day of his death--and it always struck me that in those later years he liked particularly to talk to men who had known him in his days of power. No one could meet him without being struck by his personality and strength of character. He had a wonderful memory for cricket, and to the end it remained unimpaired. Almost the last time I saw him I happened to make a slip as to the age of an old Cambridge blue and he corrected me on the instant. I believe I am right in saying that, though full of admiration for many modern men, he thought the famous Billy Buttress the most difficult of all slow bowlers. Concerning that eccentric genius he could tell many good stories. He had his foibles--all his friends knew them--but scores of famous cricketers to whom the Pavilion at Lord's was a holy place will retain pleasant and kindly thoughts of Henry Perkins.--S.H.P.

MR. JOHN HENRY PONSONBY-FANE, eldest son of the late Rt. Hon. Sir Spencer Ponsonby-Fane, was born in London on July 21, 1848, and died at Brympton, Yeovil, September 11. He was in the Harrow Eleven in 1866 with W. B. Money, W. H. Hadow, and F. C. Cobden, and in his match against Eton scored 33. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a good, steady batsman, a most effective lob-bowler, and an excellent wicket-keeper. Playing for I. Zingari v. School of Gunnery, at Shoeburyness in July, 1874--it was a twelve a-side match--he obtained nine wickets in the first innings and ten in the second. He played much for I. Zingari, and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1867.

MR. JAMES REDFEARN, who died on March 10, aged 79, played for Victoria v. New South Wales at Sydney in February, 1863. He was described as Good bat and very powerful hitter; good in the field.

MR. ARTHUR WILLIAM RIDLEY, one of the finest all-round players of his day, died suddenly at his home, 92 Eaton Place, on the 10th of August. Mr. Ridley was a first-rate batsman of the true Eton type, a superb field in whatever place he chose to fill, and a capital lob bowler. As an amateur lob bowler he was nearly the last of a long line that included V. E. Walker, T. C. Goodrich, E. T. Drake, W. M. Rose, and W. B. Money. Almost his only successor was Jephson.

© John Wisden & Co