Obituaries in 1920

ALEXANDER, MR. HENRY ROBERT TAYLER, who died in London on February 11, aged 78, was a member of the Harrow Elevens of 1860 and 1861, being captain the latter year. In his two matches against Eton he was not very successful, scoring only 21 runs with an average of seven and taking five wickets for 131 runs. He was contemporary with Messrs. R. D. and I. D. Walker, A. W. T. Danie, C. F. Buller, and W. F. Maitland. He was a capital round-armed bowler, and was unfortunate in injuring his arm just before the Lord's match in 1861. For 55 years (1865-1920) he was a member of the M.C.C.

ALLSOPP, CAPT. THE HON. HERBERT TONGUE, born at Foremark Hall, Derbyshire, on December 5, 1855, died on January 31. He was a member of the Cheltenham Elevens of 1872 and 1873, and in 1876 obtained his Blue for Cambridge. On his only appearance against Oxford he scored 21 and took one wicket for eight runs, Cambridge winning by nine wickets. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1877.

ANTHONY, MR. ALBERT, who was born in London on March 26, 1886, died at Montreal on March 2. For some years he played with the Clydesdale C.C. of Glasgow and, upon settling in Canada, assisted the Montreal and Westmount Clubs. He was a good batsman.

BARTON, THE RT. HON. SIR EDMUND, P.C., G.C.M.G., etc., the first Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia, was born at Glebe, Sydney, on January 18, 1849 and died at Mellow Bath in January, 1920. He was educated at the Public School (Fort St. Sydney), Sydney Grammar School, and Sydney University. As a member of the University Eleven he played against Melbourne University, and occasionally he umpired in inter-State matches.

BATE, THE REV. THOMAS PERCIVAL, born in London on February 20, 1866, died at Newark, New Jersey, on January 11. He was considered a good batsman and fast bowler, and played much club cricket in Canada.

BEAUMONT, JOHN died in South London on the 1st of May. He was born at Armitage Bridge, near Huddersfield, on September 16, 1855. Jack Beaumont, as he was always called, appeared in his young days for Yorkshire, but failed to make a name for himself in his native county. He played once for Yorkshire in 1877 and four times in 1878. Still, he must have been a promising bowler, as when playing for a local team against the Australians--I think it was in 1880--he greatly impressed Blackham. He was practically unknown when, having duly qualified by two years` residence, he came out for Surrey in 1885. He met with immediate success, causing quite a sensation in May in his first match, he and George Lohmann getting Middlesex out on a slow pitch for a total of 25. Beaumont's record was six wickets for 11 runs. This performance made his place in the eleven secure for the rest of the season and he fairly divided honours with Lohmann, taking in all matches for Surrey 123 wickets with an average of 15.26. Beaumont kept up his form for the next four seasons and, though completely over-shadowed by Lohmann in 1887, had some share in winning back for Surrey--after an interval of twenty-three years--the first place among the counties. However, he lost his bowling in 1890 and in 1891 he dropped out of the team, playing in only one match. At his best Beaumont was a first-rate bowler, very accurate and apt even on the best wickets to get up to a nasty height. He was quite individual in style, walking up to the crease to deliver the ball. His action was high, and, without being exceptionally fast, he could keep up a fine pace for any reasonable length of time. A big, powerful man, Beaumont retained to the end of his life all his Yorkshire characteristics. Residence in London did not in the least affect his way of speaking.--S.H.P.

BELCHER, MR. SAMUEL HARBORNE, who died at Garroorigang, Goulburn, on August 22, aged 85, played for New South Wales v. Victoria, at Sydney, in December, 1866.

BERNARD, DR. DAVID, who died at Bristol on July 14, aged 78, played for the old West Gloucestershire C.C. He was brother-in-law of Dr. W. G. Grace, having married the Champion`s sister, Miss Alice Grace.

BISCOE, GENERAL WILLIAM WALTERS, C.B., who died at St. Remo on April 27, aged 78, was in the Winchester XI's of 1858 and 1859. Against Eton he obtained spectacles in the former year and seven in each innings in the latter. He was a capital wicket-keeper and a better batsman than the scores mentioned would suggest.

BOWDEN, THE REV. FATHER HENRY GEORGE SEBASTIAN, who died at Brompton Oratory on September 26, aged 84, was a member of the Eton XI of 1852, when he was described as a steady bat and a first-rate long-stop. While still at Eton he obtained the Royal Humane Society`s Medal for saving life.

BRUCE, THE HON. FREDERICK JOHN, who died at Broomhall, Dunfermline, on January 25, aged 66, was in the Eton XI in 1871 and two following years, being captain in 1873. He was born on September 16, 1854. He was a steady, painstaking batsman, and in his eight innings against Harrow and Winchester made 209 runs, his highest score being 83 against Winchester in 1872.

CAMPBELL, Mr. DONALD, who died at Chatswood on March 17, played much cricket in Sydney with the Burwood, Western Suburbs and Gordon Clubs. In 1897-8 he visited Queensland as a member of the New South Wales Juniors team.

CARTER, MR. ALFRED S., a veteran member of the East Melbourne C.C., died on June 7. For the Club he made 9,801 runs, with an average of 29.22 and took 285 wickets at a cost of 17.15 runs each. He was also a brilliant fieldsman and a useful wicket-keeper. In 1896 he won the Amateur Championship of Victoria at skittles, and a year later visited America as a member of Frank Laver`s team of Australian baseballers.

COLAHAN, MR. J. BARRY, jun., who died in Philadelphia on March 6, aged 72, was for many years President of the Belmont C.C., and had also been President of the Associated Clubs of Philadelphia.

COLES, MR. PERCIVAL, born on May 2, 1865, died on February 24 at St. Leonards-on-Sea. Although best remembered as captain of the Oxford Rugby XV, in 1886, and for a few seasons secretary of the Rugby Union, he was a very useful cricketer. As a member of the Eleven while at Rugby, he played twice against Marlborough at Lord's, scoring 54 and 4 in 1883 and 9 and 18 a year later. He did not obtain his blue for cricket at Oxford, but appeared on a few occasions for the University in 1885. The same season he assisted Sussex in four matches. For Devonshire Park against G. W. Morrison`s XI., at Eastbourne, in 1892, he scored 247 not out and Mr. S. Colman 209, the pair making 472 together for the first wicket.

CORNELL, MR. P. P., born on February 13, 1874, died of consumption on April 9. He was a good all-round player and kept wicket for Suffolk and the Felixstowe and East Suffolk C.C. He succeeded Mr. H. A. Groom as honorary secretary of the County Club.

CRICHTON, MR. WILLIAM, who died at Toronto on June 15, aged 65, played with the Parkdale and Rosedale Clubs of Toronto as an underhand bowler.

DALY, THE HON. SIR MALACHY BOWES, K.C.M.G., died on April 26, in his 85th Year, at Halifax, Nova Scotia, of which place he was Lieut.-Governor from 1890 to 1900. He had been a cricketer of some repute in Canada and as far back as 1858 played an innings of 106 for Halifax against St. George at Halifax. He was born in Quebec on February 6, 1836.

DOUGLAS, MR. CHARLES NOEL, who died in Brooklyn (U.S.A) on November 13, aged 56, was a former member of the King`s County C.C. XI., of Brooklyn. Spinal trouble had caused him to be bedridden for thirty years.

DUGDALE, MR. JOHN STRATFORD, K.C., Recorder of Birmingham , died at Barford, Warwickshire, on October 27, aged 85. He had played for the Free Foresters and Warwickshire.

EDWARDS, MR. W. H., official scorer to the Sussex County C.C. from 1895 to 1914, died at Norbury on August 19, aged 73.

EVANS, MR. HARRY, who died at Spondon on July 30, aged 63, played occasionally for Derbyshire in 1878, 1881 and 1882. He was a straight, fast bowler, a useful batsman and an excellent field. In the course of a week in 1881 he took six wickets for 60 runs v. Sussex at Brighton, performing the hat-trick, and seven for 47 v. Kent at Maidstone.

EYER, MR. JOHN HENRY, who died at Toronto on February 5, aged 63, was a lob bowler and played with the Parkdale C.C., of Toronto. He was born near Richmond Hill, Yorks., on February 27, 1856.

FOLJAMBE, LIEUT.-COL. GEORGE SAVILE, C.B., V.D., who died in London on September 13, aged 63, played for Notts five times in 1879 and twice in 1881. He was not in the Eleven at either Eton or Oxford but was a good free hitter, and in 1881 played an innings of 99 for M. C. C. and Ground v. Oxford University at Oxford.

FORD, MR. FREDERICK WORMALD JUSTICE, a member of the well-known brotherhood, born on October 14, 1854, died at Brighton on September 11. He was in the Repton Eleven in 1871 and 1872, during which seasons he scored 76 runs for the School with an average of 5.11 and took thirteen wickets. He was described as A fair bat with great hitting powers; with a little more energy would make a very good long-leg; a straight but unsuccessful bowler.

FORD, MR. PERCY H., born on July 5, 1880, died at Gloucester in November, after an illness of three days, septic pneumonia following scarlet fever. For many seasons he played with Gloucester City and occasionally for the County. As a fast bowler he was very useful, making the most of his height (6ft. 7ins.), but unfortunately for Gloucestershire he was not often available. At Cheltenham in 1906 he and Dennett bowled unchanged through both innings of Sussex, Mr. Ford's figures being five for 29 and six for 84. Against Somerset at Bristol the same year he took nine wickets for 67 runs.

GALLOWAY, 11th EARL (RANDOLPH HENRY STEWART), born at Galloway House on October 14, 1836, died at Cumlodew, Newton Stewart, on February 7. He was a member of the Harrow elevens of 1853 and 1854, when he scored 4, 3, 8 and 12 v. Eton and 0, 17, 0 and 11 v. Winchester, and obtained 13 wickets against each school. He was contemporary with Mr. V. E. Walker, and his brother, Lord Garlies, later the 10th Earl, was also in the elevens. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1855.

GEESON, FRED, who was born at Redmile, in Leicestershire, on August 23, 1862, died in Johannesburg on May 4th. He will be best remembered as a medium-paced bowler, but he was, too, a very useful batsman. After his action had been condemned by the County Captains at Lord's in December, 1900, he cultivated leg-breaks and with such success that in the following season he obtained as many as 125 wickets at a cost of 26.64. In 1902, however, he showed such a decline--his record showed only 17 wickets for 47.23 runs each--that he lost his place in the Leicestershire team. Among his best feats may be mentioned 13 wickets for 102 runs for Leicestershire v. Derbyshire at Leicester in 1898, eight in an innings for 110 for M. C. C. and Ground v. Cambridge University at Lord's in 1900, five for 17 for Leicestershire v. Hampshire at Southampton in 1900 and seven for 33 for Leicestershire v. South Africans at Leicester in 1901. For his county against Derbyshire at Glossop in the last-mentioned year he carried out his bat for 104 and obtained a dozen wickets. In a small match at Grantham in September, 1902--for XVI of Grantham v. A. Priestley's XI--he took all ten wickets in an innings for 69 runs. Geeson joined the ground-staff at Lord's in 1891, and was a member of it for twenty-eight seasons.

GIBSON, MR. ARCHIBALD HOPE, born at Hamilton, Ontario, on March 8, 1888, died there on February 12. He was an excellent all-round athlete, and had played at cricket for Canada v. United States and for a combined team of the two countries against the Australians. In 1910 he visited England as a member of the Toronto Zingari team, for which his highest score was 75 v. Folkestone. For Toronto, Hamilton, and Toronto Zingari he rendered excellent service.

GRESSON, MR. CHARLES RICHARD HAYGARTH, who was born on September 4, 1869, died on September 24th. He was a member of the Lancing Eleven in 1885 and three following years, being captain in 1888, when he had a batting average of 29.55. Subsequently he played with success for Bucks., making many large scores. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1899.

HAFFENDEN, MR. MYLES RATCLIFFE, who was born in London in 1856, died in New Jersey on January 23. He was a useful player with the Amateur League, New Jersey Athletic Club, and Staten Island C.C.

HARBORD, THE REV. HARRY, who died suddenly of heart failure at Colwood Park, Bolney, Sussex, on May 10, was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1862 and 1863. He was described as A useful hitter, driving well on both sides. A slow round-hand bowler, and on his day very puzzling. A good long-leg.

HATHORN, MR. MAITLAND, who was born at Pietermaritzburg on April 7, 1878, died in Johannesburg on May 17. At his best he was a good and sound batsman and during his first two visits to this country was very successful.It was on the recommendation of Lohmann that he was included in the 1901 team, for which he scored 103 on his first appearance and headed the averages.

HAYWOOD, WILLIAM THOMAS, who died in Middlesex Hospital, on July 27, aged 65, was for eight years superintendent of the Southgate ground under the late Mr. I. D. Walker, and subsequently for many years was engaged at Harrow.

HENDERSON, DR. THOMAS BONHOTE, F.R.C.S., M.B., who died at Harnham Hills, Salisbury, on April 19, aged 45, was in the Winchester XI of 1893, being contemporary with J. R. Mason. For the College that season he had a batting average of 26.00 and headed the bowling with sixteen wickets for 14 runs each. He was a free and stylish batsman, a fast bowler and a keen fieldsman. At Oxford he played a few times in the Eleven in 1897, but did not obtain his Blue.

HYSLOP, MR. HECTOR HARRY, who died by his own hand at Cosham, near Portsmouth, on September 11, was born in Australia on December 13, 1840. He was a useful batsman and wicket-keeper, and appeared for Hampshire in 1876 and for the Australians in a few of their matches in 1878. Always devoted to cricket he was a great enthusiast. He had close friends among the members of the earlier Australian teams in England.

JERVIS, COL. WILLIAM SWYNFEN, an old Warwickshire player died on April 3, aged 80. In 1871 and 1872 he captained the Aldershot Division.

JONES, MR. HENRY VINCENT, who died suddenly on August 21, had long been a familiar figure on all cricket grounds. He was for many years on the staff of the Cricket Reporting Agency and at the time of his death he was on the staff of The Sportsman. His chief interest was Rugby football. Devoted to the game, he wrote about it with the authority born of thorough knowledge. In his young days he played for Gloucester. He was 58 years of age.

KELSON, MR. GEORGE MORTIMER, died on the 29th of March in his 85th year. He was born on December 8, 1835. Mr. Kelson retired from first-class cricket so long ago that to the present generation he was not even a name, but in his day he held a prominent place, being at one time beyond question the best bat in the Kent eleven. Kent cricket in the'60's was in a very depressed condition, but Mr. Kelson took part in many a hard-fought game side by side with Willsher and George Bennett. The irony of the position at the end of the'60's was that Kent, with their full strength in the field, would have had about the strongest batting side in England. Some of the amateurs avoided county matches, but were seen during the Canterbury Week. Mr. Kelson played his first match for Kent in 1859 and his last in 1873. He was at his best in the seasons of 1863-64-65. In 1863 he played at Kennington Oval the innings of his life--122 against Surrey. He was on the losing side in an extraordinary match, Surrey with 192 to get in the last innings hitting off the runs for one wicket. To the best of my knowledge the feat was, at that time, without parallel in first-class cricket. H. H. Stephenson made 78 not out, and Jupp, then just coming to the front, 74 not out. There used to be a little harmless betting on cricket in those days and the task looked so formidable that Caffyn who had backed Surrey hedged all his money. Mr. Kelson did not do a great deal outside Kent cricket, but he was picked for Gentlemen against Players at the Oval in 1864 and 1866, and when, after 1862, the notorious schism kept Hayward, Carpenter, and George Parr away from the Oval he played two or three times for England against Surrey, scoring 26 and 40 in 1864 and 40 in 1865, Appearing for the Gentlemen in 1866 when, for a very strong side, he was put in last, he had the satisfaction of taking part in a game in which the Players were beaten at the Oval for the first time, the match dating from 1857. I cannot recall Mr. Kelson's batting, though I saw him play, but from all accounts he was a fine punishing player with a free attractive style. Mr. Kelson was a great fisherman and wrote much on the gentle art, being at one time fishing editor of Land and Water.--S.H.P.

KENDLE, THE REV. WILLIAM JAMES, died on January 30, aged 73, at Woodsford, Dorset, of which place he had been Rector for 33 years. A very useful batsman, he had been in the Eleven at Sherborne, and had appeared occasionally for Hampshire. In 1867 he took part in the Freshmen's match at Cambridge, but did not obtain his Blue.

KENNARD, THE RIGHT REV. MONSIGNORE CHARLES HENRY, Roman Catholic Cannon of Clipton, born in 1840, died at Burnham-on-Sea on August 6. While at Oxford he was a member of the University College Eleven; he also played against Cambridge at rackets three years in succession, and was holder of the gold racket in 1861. He was a member of the Harlequins and Perambulators. He was described as A very neat bat, with fair defence; sometimes useful for a change with his slow round-arm bowling.

KING, SIR HENRY CLARK, who died at Hove on July 23, aged 63, was in the Marlborough XI in 1874 and 1875, being a useful all-round player. Later he played for Madras Presidency. He had also played for the Midland Counties Rugby XV.

LINDSEY, MR. GEORGE GOLDWIN SMITH, who was born in Toronto on March 19, 1860, died there on May 27. He was in the Upper Canada College XI in 1877, and ten years later organised the Canadian Team which visited England and described the tour in Cricket Across the Seas.

LITTLE, THE REV. JOSEPH RUSSELL, who died at Chichester in May, aged 88, was in the Uppingham XI in 1850 and 1851.

LOGAN, THE HON. J. D., an enthusiastic supporter of South African Cricket, died in August. It was owing to his generosity that the South African team of 1901 visited us. He was the Laird of Matjesfontein, where he had a private ground, and a member of the Cape Parliament.

MACKINNON, MR. ALAN, who died in London on April 3rd, was for long associated with the Old Stagers in the Canterbury Festival.

MADDISON, THE REV. CANON WILLIAM, who died on July 8, aged 67, was captain of the Eleven whilst at Durham School.

MATURIN, DR. HENRY, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., who was born at Clondevaddock, Co. Donegal on April 5, 1842, died at Hartley Wintney, in Hampshire, on February 24. He played for Middlesex in 1863 and later for Hampshire, being a good batsman and field and a useful fast round-armed bowler. His career in great matches was short, but he kept up his cricket in village games until well past seventy, often obtaining wickets. He played for Fourteen of Hampshire at the Oval in the only match lost by Surrey in the season of 1864.

MAY, LT.-COL. JOHN, V.D., who died at Southsea on March 17, was a most liberal supporter of the game in North Hampshire. For many years he was President of the Basingstoke C.C., whose ground he saved from the builders and, in July, 1905, handed over to certain trustees on behalf of the Basingstoke and North Hants. C.C. Lt.-Col. May was editor of Cricket in North Hants, a very interesting volume of records and reminiscences which was published in 1906.

MEEK, MR. HENRY EDGAR, who was born at Devizes, in Wiltshire, on October 8, 1857, died at Gullane, East Lothian, on June 23rd. For four seasons, commencing in 1874, he was in the Harrow Eleven, being captain in 1876 and 1877. In his four matches against Eton he scored 143 runs with an average of 17.87, and took 13 wickets for 14 runs each. In his last season he made 58 and 27, and whilst making the latter score not another run was obtained. During that innings he drove a ball over the old pavilion. He was one of the hardest hitters ever turned out by Harrow, a good fast bowler and an excellent field at mid-off. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1878.

MORRISON, MR. GEORGE N., who was born in Glasgow on January 21, 1860, died in Toronto on May 6. He played for the Toronto C.C. and for Canada v. United States in 1882, 1883, and 1884. For Toronto v. Past and Present of Trinity College, at Port Hope, Toronto, on July 14, 1882, he went in last and carried out his bat for 133, he and A. G. Brown scoring 198 in partnership for the last wicket.

NARAYAN SINGH, PRINCE KUMAR HITENDRA, who died of influenza at Darjeeling on November 7, aged 30, was brother of the Maharajah of Cooch Behar, and was educated at Eton and Cambridge and played a few times for Somerset. He was a good batsman and in 1908 made several large scores for Somerset Stragglers, among them 104 and 103 not out v. Devon Dumplings at Taunton and 99 and 91 v. Incogniti on the same ground.

OLIVER, MR. CHARLES NICHOLSON JEWEL, C.M.G., born in 1848, died in June. A useful batsman in his time, he appeared in three matches for New South Wales against Victoria, scoring 6 not out and 29 at Melbourne in 1865-6, 3 and 0 on the same ground in 1869-70, and 6 and 10 at Sydney in 1872-3. He also played for the State against W. G. Grace's team in 1873-4. Later he became chairman of the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust.

PAIRANDEAU, MR. LEON E., who died on August 19, at Brooklyn (N.Y.), aged 69, was born in Demerara. At one time he was a prominent member of the Georgetown C.C., and at the time of his death was a member of the New York Veterans' Cricket Association.

PARKES, CAPT. HOWARD RODERICK, who died at Studland, Dorset, on May 28, from the effects of gas-poisoning contracted on active service in France while with the R.G.A., was in the Uppingham XI in 1894 and two following years. He was a capital batsman and in his last season played a good not out innings of 130 v. Incogniti. At Oxford he played for the Freshmen and Seniors and in Trial games, but did not obtain his Blue. In 1900 he assisted London County. From 1897 to 1900 he represented Oxford in the hurdles against Cambridge.

PEARSON, MR. RALPH LINCOLN, born at Philadelphia on November 16, 1883, died on February 7. He was in the Haverford College XI in 1902 and three following years, being captain in 1905. He played successfully with the side when it visited England in 1904, and in the match with Cheltenham scored 73 and 38 not out. In 1903 he made 131 not out for the College v. Philadelphia, and seven years later 103 for Germantown against the same club.

PEPYS, CAPT. ARTHUR, who died at Budleign Salterton on March 17, aged 73, was in Eton XI in 1863, when he scored 1 and 28 in the drawn match with Harrow and 21 v. Winchester. He was a good batsman, but quite overshadowed by Messrs. Alfred Lubbock and E. W. Tritton. He had been a member of the M.C.C. for exactly fifty years.

PLUNKET, THE 5TH BARON (WILLIAM LEE PLUNKET), who was born on December 19, 1864, died in London on January 24th. Whilst Governor of New Zealand, 1904-10, he presented a Shield bearing his name, which is competed for annually by the chief cricket associations of the Dominion.

PRITCHETT, MR. G. E. B., who died in London on November 27, aged 53, was formerly a well-known member of the Hertfordshire Eleven. He had been a member of the M.C.C. for twenty-five years, and also played for Incogniti. He was born on March 13, 1867.

RALSTON, LT.-COL. FRANCIS WILLIAM, born at Philadelphia on June 7, 1867, died at Charleston on October 7. He was educated at Pennsylvania University and visited England as a member of the Philadelphia team of 1897. He was a very good wicket-keeper and useful batsman, and played for United States against Canada in 1893 and three following years.

RAMSHAW, MR. THOMAS, of Durham, who died on May 27th aged 88, was the last surviving member of the XXII of Durham, which played The England Eleven in May, 1849. A print was published showing the match in progress.

RAWNSLEY, CANON HARDWICK DRUMMOND, who died at Grasmere on May 28, aged 69, was in the Uppingham XI in 1870, when he was useful as batsman and longstop.

RENNY-TAILYOUR, COLONEL HENRY WAUGH, born in Missouri North-West Provinces, on October 9, 1849, died at Newmanswell, Montrose, on June 15. He was in the Cheltenham XI in 1867 and played in 19 matches for Kent between 1873 and 1883, making 694 runs (average 23.93) with 124 v. Lancashire at Maidstone in 1874 as his highest score. He was an excellent all-round player, and could hit very hard, but was not seen in great matches as frequently as his skill entitled him. In 1873 and two following years, however, he assisted the Gentlemen against the Players at Prince's. In minor matches his scoring was very heavy. For Royal Engineers v. Civil Service at Chatham in 1880 he scored 331 not out (out of 498 made whilst in) in 330 minutes, hitting an 8, a 7, two 6's, four 5's, and twenty-one 4's. At Chatham, in 1875, he made 285 not out for Royal Engineers v. Royal Artillery, and in 1882 at Thornton (Scotland) 240 for Strathmore v. St. Lawrence, in the latter match adding 370 for the second wicket with J. M. Ramsay (142). For I Zingari v. Gentlemen of Kent at Canterbury in 1873 he bowled 40 balls for 5 runs and 5 wickets, and in the corresponding match of the following year took 4 wickets for 12 runs. When in Scotland he played occasionally for Aberdeenshire. As an Association footballer he obtained great distinction, representing Scotland against England in 1872-3 and being one of the forward line when the Royal Engineers won the F.A. Cup in 1874-5.

RICHARDSON, MR. ALEXANDER, born at Fife on September 5, 1864, died in New York on March 16. A good fast bowler, he was associated with many clubs in America, including Victoria, New York, Columbia Oval, Manhatten Thistles, and New York Veterans.

ROUND, MR. FRANCIS RICHARD, born January 22, 1845, died at Whitham on November 24. He was not in the eleven whilst at Marlborough, but captained the Balliol team at Oxford in 1868. He was brother of Mr. J. Round.

ROUPELL, MR. JOHN HARVEY TORRENS, who was born in Madras on July 15, 1845, died at Hurst, Berks, on May 15. He was educated at Harrow and Uppingham, and was in the latter XI in 1863. He was a tremendous hitter, a very fast round-armed bowler and a good field at long-on. In an innings of 97 for Trinity Hall v. Emmanuel College in June, 1865, he made clear hits for 10, 9, and 8, without any overthrows. The tenner travelled about 240 yards.

RYDER-RICHARDSON, MR. WILLIAM, who died suddenly at Dover on July 30, aged 59, was a member of the Oxford University Authentics and Free Foresters. He was educated at Manchester Grammar School and played Rugby football for England against Ireland.

SCOBELL, MR. GEORGE BARTON, who died on April 20, aged 44, had captained the Exeter College team at Oxford and the Lansdown C.C., of Bath. He was a useful all-round player.

SCOTT, DR. WILLIAM JERNAN, who died at Windsor on July 19, aged 56, played in three matches for Middlesex in 1894 and 1895, but made only 12 runs in five innings. For the second eleven of the county, however, he did better, scoring 56 v. Kent 2nd XI at Lord's in 1894 and 68 in the corresponding match of the following year. He had played successfully for Kensington Park, M.C.C., Incogniti, and Windsor Home Park, his best performance being an innings of 107 for M.C.C. v. Warwickshire at Lord's in 1895.

SMITH, MR. WILLIAM BYNÆ, who was born in Barbados on September 9, 1877, died in New York on January 25. After playing for several years in British Guiana he identified himself with the Columbia Oval C.C. and captained their B team in 1918. He was a useful bowler.

SMITH, MR. CHARLES R., who died at Willington (N.Z.), in May, aged 56, was one of the founders of the New Zealand Cricket Council and its first Honorary Secretary. For some years, too, he was Treasurer of the Canterbury Cricket Association.

SPENCER-SMITH, THE REV. ORLANDO, born at Brooklands Hants., on December 17, 1843, died at Swanwick Glen, Southampton, on November 23. He was in the Eton eleven of 1861 and obtained his blue for Oxford five years later, when his batting--he scored 30 in Oxford's second innings--contributed to the Cambridge defeat by 12 runs. On his only appearance against Harrow he scored 21 and 44 and took six wickets for 64, his bowling being slow round-arm. He played for Hampshire in 1864 and 1866.

STEPHEN, SIR MATTHEW HENRY, born on December 5, 1828, died in Sydney on April 1. For a brief period he was Hon. Treasurer of the New South Wales Cricket Association.

THESIGER, CAPT. THE HON. WILFRED GILBERT, D.S.O., who died suddenly at Brighton on January 31, aged 49, was in the Cheltenham XI in 1888 and two following years, being captain in 1890. He was a pretty bat with many scoring strokes.

THEWLIS, HERBERT, born on August 31, 1865, died at Lascelles Hall on November 22. In 1888 he played occasionally for Yorkshire, scoring 78 runs with an average of 11.14. In League cricket he made many large scores, playing successfully with Holbeck Eagley in the Bolton League, and finally with his old club, Lascelles Hall, in the Huddersfield League.

THRING, MR. JOHN GALE, who died on January 25, aged 65, was a member of the Uppingham XI in 1873 and 1874. He was a son of Edward Thring, for so long Head-Master, and was himself a master at the School for 29 years.

TOZER, DR. C. J., who died in Sydney on December 21, was one of the best of the younger generation of Australian batsmen. For New South Wales Colts against those of Victoria in 1912-13 he scored 83, 80 and 63, and in the same season made 78 not out v. Queensland and 54 v. West Australia. In the season before his death he scored 51 and 103 for New South Wales against Queensland at Brisbane.

TUCK, MR. GEORGE HUSTLER died on December 13. Born at Norwich on April 28, 1843, he was in his 78th year. Mr. Tuck was in the Eton eleven in 1861 and 1862 and in the Cambridge eleven in 1863-4-5-6. His first match at Lord's in 1861 was memorable as it introduced to the ground Alfred Lubbock and C. F. Buller--then boys of fifteen, Lubbock being the older by a few months. Mr. Tuck did little in the match, which was left drawn, but in 1862 when Eton won by 54 runs he scored 43 in his second innings. Against Oxford at Lord's he never had the good fortune to be on the winning side, Cambridge being beaten in all four years. In 1866, however, Oxford only won, after a desperate fight, by 12 runs, the fast bowling of E. L. Fellowes deciding the game. Mr. Tuck was captain in 1865. He was a good bat, sometimes going in first, but his best score in the four matches was 19. Between 1864 and 1872 he played for Norfolk.

VENABLES, MR. ROLAND GEORGE, who was born at Truro on January 18, 1846, died suddenly at Oswestry on March 9. He was in the Rugby XI in 1863 and two following years, and in his three matches against Marlborough obtained 36 wickets. In 1865, when he was captain, he bowled 4,516 balls in 32 innings for 160 wickets. Against Marlborough at Lord's that year he took thirteen wickets--eight in the first innings and five in the second. Few public school bowlers have had such records as his. His bowling was left-hand medium-pace. For some years he was a prominent Free Forester.

WARD, THE RT. REV. MONSIGNOR BERNARD, Roman Catholic Bishop of Brentwood, was born on February 4, 1857, and died on January 21. He was a grandson of the famous Mr. William Ward, and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1874. He was President of St. Edmund's College, Old Hall, Ware.

WARRE, THE REV. DR. EDMOND, who died at Eton on January 22, was born in London on February 12, 1837. He was twenty-one years Head-master and nine years Provost of Eton, and always took great interest in the cricket at the College. In 1857 and two following years he was in the Oxford boat.

WATSON, THE REV. ARTHUR, who died at Cowes on March 31, aged 84, had led the Caius Eleven whilst at Cambridge. In 1858 he was tried for the University but did not obtain his Blue. He was described as A capital bowler, but rather too high.

WEST, JOHN EDWARD, born at Stepney on November 18, 1861, died in London on March 14. He was a useful medium-paced bowler, could hit hard and fielded well, and for a few seasons kept wicket. Between 1885 and 1896 he scored 1,092 runs for Middlesex with an average of 11.37 and took 76 wickets for 24.29 runs each; as wicket-keeper he caught 34 and stumped 30. His highest scores were 83 v. Gloucestershire at Lord's in 1888 and 67 against the same county in 1885. In the match with Kent at Lord's in 1886 he took six wickets for 31 runs in the first innings and three for 27 in the second. For over twenty seasons he was a member of the ground-staff at Lord's and for several years umpired in first-class matches.

WHARMBY, JOHN, who died at Coalville in March, aged 82, has been a prominent local cricketer in Leicestershire. He worked in a coal mine for more than sixty years.

WHARTON, MR. JOSEPH FREDERICK, who was born at Crewe, died at Plainfield, New Jersey, on May 26, aged 62. He was a useful all-round player of the Bound Brook C.C., of New Jersey.

WHITE, ARCHIBALD A., for many years one of the best-known umpires in first-class cricket, died in February.

WILSON, MR. GEORGE LINDSAY, who was born at Melbourne on April 27, 1868, died at his native place on March 9. He was educated at the Scotch College, Melbourne, and Brighton College, Sussex, being in the latter eleven in 1884 and three following years. He headed the batting averages in 1886 and 1887 with 59.63 and 54.06 respectively, and was captain in his last year. Between 1887 and 1895 he appeared in 54 matches for Sussex, scoring 2,042 runs with an average of 21.95 and taking 27 wickets for 59.11 runs each. His chief scores were 105 v. Gloucestershire at Brighton in 1893, 117 and 92 in the return at Bristol, and 174 v. Oxford University at Brighton in 1895. In making the last-mentioned score, he and Marlow (130) obtained 303 together for the first wicket. In 1890 Mr. Wilson secured his Blue for Oxford and in his matches against Cambridge made 0 and 20 in his first year and 0 and 53 in 1891. Possessed of good height, he hit well all round the wicket and was an excellent field.

WOOD, MR. GEORGE ALEXANDER, who was born in Galt (Ontario) on January 7, 1871, died at Perry on April 20. He was a useful member of the Galt and Gordon Mackay Clubs of Toronto.

Particulars of the following Deaths were not received in time for WISDEN'S ALMANACK for 1920.

BLACKBURN, THE REV. WILLIAM, who died at St. Columba's College, Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin, on November 17, 1919, aged 42, was a member of the Repton XI of 1897. At Cambridge he played for the Freshmen in 1899 and the Seniors in 1900, but did not obtain his Blue. He appeared against Oxford at Association football, however, in both years, and was a prominent Corinthian.

BRISTOW, MR. MICHAEL GEORGE, born in Somerset in 1870, died at Ottawa on December 8th, 1817. For years he led the Ottawa C.C., for which he was successful both as batsman and bowler. His highest innings was 128 for Ottawa v. McGill University in 1910.

FORBES, MR. JOHN, who was born at Brechin, Forfarshire, on July 26, 1856, died in Jersey City (N.J.) on March 11th, 1918. He was a sound and painstaking batsman and played chiefly for the New Jersey Athletic Club, which he captained in 1901.

HARRY, JOHN, of Victoria, Australia, was born on August 1, 1857, and died at Canterbury (Victoria), October 27, 1919. At his best he was an excellent all-round cricketer, being well above the average as a batsman, a useful change bowler, a good wicket-keeper, and a brilliant fieldsman at mid-off. Several times he was nearly chosen as reserve wicket-keeper to tour England, and in 1896 was actually selected, but at the last moment was discarded owing to an injury to his knee which it was considered would hamper his play. He thereupon proceeded to England on his own responsibility and joined the ground-staff at Lord's but was only fairly successful, his best performance being an innings of 56 for M.C.C. against the University at Oxford. For Victoria he made many good scores, the chief being 114 v. Western Australia at Melbourne in 1892-3 and 107 v. South Australia at Adelaide in 1895-6. He generally did well at Adelaide, and in March 1894 made 82 and 50 in the inter-State match there. In club cricket he scored 6,970 runs for East Melbourne with an average of 37.15 and took 107 wickets for 16.17. For Bendigo he made 4,308 runs and took 143 wickets, his respective averages being 28.15 and 14.42. In the inter-State match at Adelaide in 1891-2 he had the unusual experience of bowling both left and right hand. At Easter, 1919, a match played at Bendigo for his benefit realised over £200. Harry was also a capital skittles player and gained inter-State honours at Baseball.

PATRICK, MR. C. W., died at Coogee on November 29, 1919. He played for New South Wales v. Queensland at Sydney in March, 1894, making 12 and 1, and was later identified with the game in the latter State, which he represented several times.

SMITH, THE HON. SIR EDWIN THOMAS, K.C.M.G., who was born at Walsall on April 6, 1830, died at Marryatville, South Australia, in December, 1919. He was a most liberal patron of the game and had been for 22 years President of the South Australian Cricket Association. He was five times Mayor of Adelaide between 1880 and 1888.

SPRAGGE, DR. EDWARD WILLIAM, born at Toronto on September 5, 1843, died there on December 31, 1919. He was for long a member of the Toronto C.C., and played against many touring sides, including R. A. Fitzgerald's, Daft's, and the Australians.

THORNTON, MR. JOHN, who died at Myrtoon, Camperdown, on December 15, 1919, aged 85, played for Victoria against New South Wales at Sydney in 1858-9 and in Melbourne a year later. He was a good long-stop. He joined the Melbourne C.C. in 1858 and was the oldest member of the Club.

THURSTON, MR. HENRY PRIVETT, born on July 22, 1858, died suddenly at Thornbury, in Gloucestershire, on November 7, 1918. For many years he was a member of the famous Thornbury team, led by the late Dr. E. M. Grace, and made many good scores for the Club.

TWYMAN, MR. GEORGE, born at Canterbury on November 15, 1862, died at Godalming in 1919. He made many large scores for the St. Lawrence C.C. and played in one match for Kent in 1887. He was a steady batsman and generally fielded at mid-off.

VERNOU, COL. CHARLES ALEXANDER, born at Philadelphia on June 16, 1843, died at Ann Arbor, Michigan, on October 22, 1919. In his younger days he was a good round-arm bowler, a fine field at slip and a batsman with sound defence and punishing power. He played much in Philadelphia and had appeared for the United States against Canada, and in matches against the early teams from England.

WOODS, MR. EDWARD MONTAGUE NELSON, born at Victoria (B.C.) in 1862, died there on November 22, 1919. He was a useful all-round cricketer, and played for Victoria, Vancouver and Brockton Point Clubs.

© John Wisden & Co