Supplementary obituaries in 1930-31

Particulars of the following Deaths were received too late for publication in WISDEN'S CRICKETERS' ALMANACK of 1932:--

ADAMSON, MR. JOHN, died at Neville's Cross, Durham, on December 29, 1931, at the age of 86. He played for Durham County from 1883 to 1888, acting as captain of the County XI and of the Durham City Club. For a quarter of a century he was hon. treas. of the County Club.

AGNEW, MR. CHARLES MOSLAND, died at Croxley Green, Herts., on May 23, 1931, aged 75. He secured a place in the Rugby School XI of 1874 and proceeding to Cambridge figured two years (1875 and 1876) in the Rugby fifteen.

BURGESS, MR. GEORGE FREDERIC, who died at Radipole, Weymouth, on January 12, 1931, aged 76, was in the team at Blackheath Proprietary School. He played for Hertfordshire and the Epsom C.C., rowed No. 6 for Oxford in the Boat race of 1878 and put the weight against Cambridge in 1877.

BURNETT, MR. ERNEST WILDMAN, died at Oxford on December 22, 1931, in his 88th year. He was in the Harrow XI from 1861 to 1863 and on his first appearance against Eton, though batting last, made the top score for his side (36). In the match in the following July he secured analyses of four for 27 and four for 33 and in 1803 (under I. D. Walker) three for 44.

CHAPMAN, MR. WALTER W., who died on November 23, 1931, aged 51, was partner with Victor Trumper in many rapid-scoring feats for Paddington in Sydney cricket. The two men put together 330 for the first wicket v. Redfern at Hampden Oval in 110 minutes in 1905, Trumper scoring 215 in all and Chapman 146. Chapman's best score in grade cricket was 259 (not out).

CHATER, MR. LEATHLEY, died at Littlehampton on May 4, 1931, after a brief illness, aged 72. He was in the Harrow XI of 1875 and, against Eton at Lord's in a drawn game, made 30 and 35--both not out innings.

FINCH-HATTON, HON. DENYS GEORGE was killed while flying in East Africa on May 14, 1931. He played in the Eton XI's of 1905 and 1906, scoring 41 (not out) against Winchester in the first year and 37 in the second. He was also a useful bowler.

FORMAN, MR. JAMES died at Nottingham, June 20, 1931, aged 76. At Rugby he figured in the XI of 1873 and at Oxford represented his University twice against Cambridge at Rugby football.

FREEMAN, MR. GEORGE, died on November 22, 1931, aged 77. A vigorous right-hand bat and fast left-handed bowler, he hailed from Ordsall, near Retford, where he was born on September 12, 1854. He appeared for the Colts of England at Lord's and first played for Notts in 1876. At one time he coached at Eton College.

GOODWYN, CANON FREDERICK WILDMAN, was born on January 20, 1850, and died at St. Leonards-on-Sea on April 23, 1931, in his 82nd year. He was in the Clifton College XI 1866-68 and afterwards assisted Gloucestershire occasionally.

GURDON, HIS HONOUR JUDGE CHARLES, who died in London June 26, 1931, in his 76th year, was for four summers in the Haileybury XI. (1871-4), acting as captain in his last season. On proceeding to Cambridge he devoted his attention to Rugby football and rowing, participating in the Boat Races 1876 to 1879 and being President of the C.U.B.C. in 1878. He figured in the Rugby fifteen in 1877-8, was with his elder brother, E. T., one of the mainstays of the Richmond F.C. pack and was capped for England on fourteen occasions between 1880 and 1886.

HUBBARD, MR. GEORGE CAIRNS, who died suddenly at Eltham on December 18, 1931, aged 64, was a member of the Tonbridge cricket XI. in 1884 and following year and played three times for Kent in 1895. The mainstay of the Blackheath Cricket and Football Clubs for many years, he secured, like his son J. C., England International honours at Rugby football.

MACLEOD, MR. WILLIAM MACKINTOSH, died in London on June 30, 1931, at the age of 70. He was in the Fettes XI. and at Cambridge appeared twice in the Rugby XV. against Oxford. He also played for Scotland against both Wales and Ireland in 1885-6.

MALTHOUSE, SAMUEL, who died on February 7, 1931, was born at Whitwell, Derbyshire, on October 13, 1859. He played for Derbyshire between 1890 and 1895 and scored 74 (not out) v. Leicestershire at Derby in the first-mentioned year. He was a free hitting left-handed batsman and medium-paced bowler.

MATHEWS, MR. ERNEST, born in London on May 17, 1847, died on November 25, 1930. He was a member of the victorious Harrow School XI. of 1866 and figured in the Oxford team at Lord's in 1868 and 1869. The only survivors now of the 1868 side are A. C. Bartholomew and W. Evetts. A slow round-arm bowler with considerable spin he was also quite a useful bat.

MAUL, REV. JOHN BROUGHTON, who died at Banbury, November 5, 1931, at the age of 74, was a member of the Uppingham School team from 1874 to 1877 and captain in his last two years.

PARRY, MR. EDWARD HAGARTY, who died early in August, 1931, at the age of 76, was in the Charterhouse Cricket XI.'s of 1871 to 1874. He attained more prominence at Association football, playing in the Oxford University Eleven from 1875 to 1877 (when captain) and leading Old Carthusians when they won the F.A. Cup in the season 1880-81. He was the recipient of English International honours against both Scotland and Wales.

PEARSON, MR. ALEXANDER, who died at Locarno, Switzerland, on January 23, 1931, was born in Edinburgh on January 21, 1856. He gained a place in the eleven at Loretto, and in that at Rugby (1873-75) being captain in his last year, while in 1876 and 1877 he was in the Oxford team. He also played for Scotland. He was a capital batsman, a medium-paced bowler and an active field either at long-on or in the slips. A younger brother of T. S. Pearson (Pearson-Gregory).

RAIKES, MR, ERNEST BARKLEY, K.C., passed away on December 7, 1931, in his 69th year, having been born near Wymondham Norfolk on November 18, 1863. He played in the Haileybury XI.'s of 1881 and 1882. He assisted his native county from 1882 and in the match with Hertfordshire at Norwich 1888 he took with his slows, seventeen wickets for 91 runs--eight for 47 and nine for 44. An elder brother of the Rev. G. B. Raikes, he was at one time on the staff of Lord Harris at Poona.

RIMINGTON, MR. GEORGE ARTHUR, died at Penrith on March 7, 1931, aged 75. He played cricket for Cumberland County and the M. C. C., and Rugby football for the Gipsies and Middlesex.

SAINSBURY, MR. EDWARD, died suddenly at Weston-super-Mare on October 28, 1930, in his 80th year, having been born at Bath on July 5, 1851. He was in the Sherborne Cricket XI. of 1866 and became captain of Somerset in 1886, appearing for Gloucestershire by residence for the first time in 1891. He played many fine innings for the Lansdown Club, Bath.

SPARKES, MR. JOHN BURTT, at the time of his death was the oldest member of the Sunderland C.C. for which he played against the first Australian team in 1878. He died at Sunderland on March 21, 1931, aged 76.

TERRY MR. HAROLD FRANK, died at Beechwood, Guernsey, on February 5, 1931, at the age of fifty-two. He was in the Uppingham XI from 1895 to 1898, being captain in the last two years. He was a member of the Dark Blue XV in 1900 and 1901.

THOMAS, MR. PERCY FRANCIS, who wrote about cricket during the last forty years as H.P.T. and Hippo-Pott-Thomas died at Cricklewood on October 13, 1931. Born on May 27, 1866, at Woolwich, he was the author of several booklets, the best known being a series on Early Cricket, which already rank as classics. He was a learned student of cricket lore and a man of much humour.

WADE, SAUL, was born on February 8, 1858, and died in November, 1931, in his seventy-fourth year. A valuable member of the Yorkshire County team between 1886 and 1890, he figured in ninety-two matches for the county, scoring 2,029 runs with an average 17 and a highest of 103 (not out) against Leicestershire in 1889 and taking 207 wickets at a cost of 16 runs apiece. In the match against the Australians at Bramall Lane, Sheffield he was, with 19 wanted to win, punished by the tourists' captain, H. J. H. Scott, to the extent of 22 in the over of four balls, viz., 6, 4, 6, and 6. Wade, who bowled very slowly, with a big break from the off, had to use wet ball on that occasion.

WALTER, REV. HENRY MAJOR, died at Wokingham on January 31, 1931, aged 81. For thirty-five years Rector of St. Paul's, Wokingham, he appeared in the Eton XI.'s of 1866 and two following seasons, making scores of 37 (not out) and 56 against Winchester. Very useful with the ball, he secured in the 1868 match against, Winchester six wickets for 39.

WELMAN, MR. F. T., died at South Ascot on December 30, 1931. Born on February 19, 1849, he assisted in turn Somerset and Middlesex. As a batsman he was not particularly successful but he was quite a high-class wicket-keeper--one of a brilliant sequence associated with the western county.

WHITING, MR. ALGERNON OSWALD, died in London on January 23, 1931. Born at Kensington on April 23, 1861, he was educated at Sherborne where he played in the XI. ( 1878-80) and, going up to Oxford, gained his Blue in 1881 and 1882. He became a tea planter in Ceylon and took a prominent part in the game in that island.

WILSON, CAPT. D'ARCY BRUCE, who died at Seacroft Hall, Leeds, on January 5, 1931, at the age of 79, played in the Rugby School XI. of 1870 and for the Yorkshire Gentlemen.

WILSON, MR. JOHN, died at Sheffield in November, 1931, in his 74th year, having been born at Pitsmoor, Sheffield, on June 20, 1858. An excellent lob bowler, he played for Yorkshire in eight matches between 1887 and 1893, his best scores being 62 v. Warwickshire, at Edgbaston, and 70 v. Cheshire, at Stockport--both in 1877. He had a batting average of 15 and took twenty-four wickets for 12 runs each.

[The longer biographies have, in most cases, been taken from notices which appeared in THE TIMES.]

© John Wisden & Co