Obituaries, 1944

ASPINALL, MR. GEOFFREY, who died at Tiverton on September 23, aged 60, was in the 1903 Eton XI.

BELOE, MR. GERALD HARRY, who died at Clifton, Bristol, on October 1, aged 66, was a useful batsman in the Marlborough XI, being captain in 1895, his fourth year. He appeared occasionally for Gloucestershire towards the end of the last century.

BENSON, REV. PREBENDARY JOHN PETER, died at Witheridge, Devon, on March 12, in his 90th year. He played for Winchester in 1873 and for Exeter College, Oxford.

BEZER, ARTHUR, groundsman and professional to Bath Cricket Club, died in hospital on July 11 after an accidental fall. A good all-round player, he appeared once for Somerset, but he was best known for skill in tending turf and coaching young players. He taught two sons to play cricket; both were serving in Italy at the time of their father's death, aged 68.

BILBROUGH, MR. JAMES GORDON PRIESTLEY, who was fatally gassed on November 5, while engaged on rescue work during a mining accident, was a member of the Eastern Province team in the series of inter-provincial matches played as trials prior to the selection of the 1929 South African team which visited England. He was 34 years of age.

BOMPAS, MR. HUGH STEELE, who died on July 19, aged 63, did well at Westminster School and was tried for Cambridge University. He scored 109 and 59 in the 1901 Freshmen's match, but did not maintain that form and was never in the running for a Blue, though a useful wicket-keeper.

CAHN, SIR JULIEN, Bart., who died on September 26 at his home, Stanford Hall, Loughborough, Leicestershire, aged 62, was a great supporter of cricket. The eleven which he captained played good matches each season at his West Bridgford ground, and he took teams on many tours, including Jamaica, 1929, Argentine, 1930, Denmark and Jutland, 1932, Canada, U.S.A. and Bermuda, 1933, Ceylon and Singapore, 1937 and New Zealand, 1939. Twice he was President of the Nottinghamshire club and defrayed the cost of building new stands at Trent Bridge; he also provided a covered practice shed so that the county players could keep in training throughout the winter. He represented Leicestershire for some years on the Advisory County Cricket Committee and attended the meetings at Lord's dealing with the post-war plans. Keenly interested in hunting, he was at different times Master of the Burton Woodland, Pytchley and Fernie Hunts. Sir Julien inherited a fortune from his father and, apart from business interests, devoted his life to sport and philanthropy.

CAIRNS, MR. A. S., who died on September 26, was one of the finest all-round cricketers Scotland ever produced. For over thirty years he was highly successful both as batsman and bowler, and his long career has, perhaps, never been surpassed in Scottish cricket. He made 28 centuries, and in 1894, probably his best season, he scored in all matches 1,023 runs and took 108 wickets. A real sportsman in every way, with cricket his first love, Cairns became President of the Scottish Cricket Union in 1925.

CAMPBELL, MAJOR RAWDON CLAVERING, Hon. Secretary of the Minor Counties Cricket Association, died at Dawlish on December 19, aged 67. After being Hon. Secretary of Devonshire County Club from 1926, he retires in 1935 in order to devote all his attention to the Minor Counties secretaryship. He accompanied the 1911-12 M.C.C. team to Australia and scored in some matches.

CARR, FLIGHT LIEUT. WALTER COPLEY, died on May 16, aged 36. He played for Clifton 1924-26. His twin brother, Flt. Lieut. H. L. Carr, died in August. Both were awarded golf Blues at Cambridge and gained the unique distinction of four consecutive appearances against Oxford, Walter playing from 1928 to 1931. He played for England in the Boys International 1923-25 and won the German Amateur Open Championship in 1932.

CHRISTOPHERSON, MR. DOUGLAS, C.B.E., who died on March 5, was one of ten brothers who, with their father, played often as a team at Blackheath from 1877 to 1880. The best known, Stanley Chirstopherson, the fast bowler who played for Kent from 1883 to 1890, and for England against Australia at Lord's in 1884, had been President of the M.C.C. throughout the present war years. Percy Christopherson, a younger brother, appeared for Kent in 1888 and for Oxford without getting his Blue, but was in the Oxford Rugby XV 1886-87, became captain of Blackheath and Kent, besides playing for England in 1891. He was a fine three-quarter back.

COLE, MR. TERENCE GEORGE OWEN, who died on December 15 at Stoke Court, Taunton, aged 67, scarcely fulfilled the promise he showed when at Harrow. A good bat and clever left-hand slow bowler, he was in the school eleven for three seasons, excelling against Eton in 1897 with 36 and 142. In the two previous seasons he met with curious experiences. Going in last, he was not out 11 and 0; then in 1896, when opening the innings, he was twice run out for 6 and 23. Altogether in these matches he took only five wickets, and, after being the most destructive bowler for Harrow in two seasons, he headed the batting averages with 37.50. Going up to Cambridge, he made a good 46 in the Freshmen's match, but could not find his form with either bat or ball when tried in the eleven. For his college, Trinity Hall, he made 252 against St. John's in 1899, W. P. Robertson, 185, taking part with Cole in an unbroken opening partnership of 346, the runs actually being scored in two hours and a half. For Liverpool against his old University he scored 88 and 61, and 62 and 116 in consecutive years, his average in 1903 being 68.50. In succession he played for Lancashire, Denbighshire and Derbyshire with but moderate results, but he continued a free scorer with Somerset Stragglers. He toured West Indies with Lord Brackley's team in 1904-5. In the 1914-18 war he was Captain in the Denbighshire Yeomanry.

COLLIN, MR. EDWARD WOODFIELD, who died in London on February 20 in his 89th year, played for Eton in 1873 and for King's College, Cambridge.

CORBETT, PERCIVAL THOMAS, a licensee at West Malvern, who died on June 26, aged 44, played a little for Worcestershire in 1922 and 1923, and afterwards was a professional at Liverpool.

DORLING, COLONEL FRANCIS, who died on February 6, aged 94, played for Charterhouse in 1865 and 1866. He was stated to be the only survivor of the eleven who played against Rugby at Lord's in 1865.

ELLESMERE, THE 4TH EARL OF, best known in cricket as Lord Brackley, died in September, aged 71. A useful cricketer, he took many touring sides abroad. In 1920 he was President of M.C.C., and for many years was a Vice-President of Lancashire County Club after being President in 1917-18.

FOWLER, SIR RALPH HOWARD, O.B.E., F.R.S., died at Trumpington, Cambridge, on July 28, aged 55. He was in the Winchester XI of 1908 and, going up to Trinity College, Cambridge, he appeared in trials. At times he showed good form as wicket-keeper for Norfolk, and in 1909 his 53 against Lincolnshire was the highest score for the side. In 1912 he played golf for Cambridge against Oxford. His father, Howard Fowler, was an Oxford cricket Blue 1877, 1879 and 1880, and also a Rugby football Blue.

FRANCOIS, AIR SERGT. CYRIL MATTHEW, was killed in a motor accident near Pretoria on May 26. A hard-hitting batsman and right-arm fast-medium bowler, he was a regular member of Griqualand West teams from 1920 to 1928. In Currie Cup matches he scored 610 runs, average 17.94, and took 76 wickets at 25.98 each. He came into prominence in the 1922-23 season with seven wickets for 114 runs for Griqualand West against the M.C.C. team and played in all five Test matches. Selected as a bowler, he took only six wickets in the series, three of these for 23 runs in England's first innings in the first Test match, but he batted consistently well, scoring 252 runs at an average of 31.50, including scores of 72, 43 and 41. He was unlucky not to be selected to tour England in 1924 with the South African team, but he played in one of the unofficial Test matches against the English team led by the Hon. L. H. Tennyson the following season, scoring 0 and 35. His last two appearances in first-class cricket were in the 1927-28 season, when he scored 54 v. M.C.C. and 97 and 54 against Orange Free State. In all first-class games he scored 1,232 runs, average 22.81, and took 101 wickets at 28.44 apiece. Born in London on June 20, 1897, Francois, who went to South Africa when very young, was 46 at the time of his death.

FRIEND, MAJOR GENERAL THE RIGHT HON. SIR LOVICK BRANSBY, K.B.E.C.B., died in a London nursing home on November 19, aged 88. He showed good batting form at Cheltenham without getting into the eleven, and nearly sixty years ago he played three times for Kent. In 1885 he made 198 for Royal Engineers against Band of Brothers, and ten years later he and Captain Johnson put on 200 in an hour for Southern District against Connaught Rangers, but his best performance was in 1897, when he hit up 208 for United Services (Portsmouth) against Aldershot Division. He was a good wicket-keeper and sometimes fielded at cover-point.

GEDGE, THE REV. HENRY THEODORE SYDNEY, died at Seamer on December 5 in his 75th year. After playing for Loretto from 1887 to 1890, when he was captain, he went to Keble College, Oxford, and won the Inter-University Sports hurdles in 1893. A Rugby football Blue in 1893, he played five times for Scotland between 1894-99.

GRABURN, MR. WILLIAM TURBETT, well known in connection with the Surrey County Club, died on December 13 at his home at East Molesey, aged 79. Born at Filey in Yorkshire, he was in the Repton XI of 1884, and three years later appeared in London playing for Scarborough at Lord's against M.C.C., as told in Scores and Biographies. He captained the Yorkshire Colts in 1886 and played for Yorkshire Gentlemen before being chosen from many candidates to be instructor to the young players at the Oval, where he was called Teacher. Besides his work as coach, he regularly led Surrey Club and Ground sides, and he played once for the county in 1894. A sound bat, he made plenty of runs in club cricket, mostly for Thames Ditton, and was a member of East Molesey for many years. He could bowl slows with effect and set a good example by his smart fielding.

GREENSTOCK, MR. WILLIAM, who died at Dogmersfield, Basingstoke, on November 13 in his 80th year, was four years in the Fettes XI, being captain in 1883 and 1884. Tried for Cambridge University in 1886 and 1887, he did not get his Blue. He was a master at Malvern for many years.

HAIG-BROWN, MR. CLARENCE WILLIAM, who died on March 28 at Godalming, aged 85, bowled left-handed for Eton in 1875 with marked success against Winchester, taking eleven wickets for 80 runs, and helping largely in a victory by five wickets. He did less well at Lord's, where Harrow followed-on but easily avoided defeat. After being house-surgeon at St. Thomas's Hospital, Haig-Brown became Medical Officer at Charterhouse, where his father was a housemaster.

HARDINGE, LORD, OF PENSHURST, K.G., P.C., I.S.O., a former Viceroy of India, died at Penshurst, Kent, on August 2 in his 87th year. He played for Harrow in 1876 and for Trinity College, Cambridge.

HAWDEN, EDWARD, died early in the year, aged 82, as the result of a fall when returning from a football match at Hunslet, where he attended regularly as a spectator for the last sixty years. Played one game of minor importance for Yorkshire in 1889, scoring 66. Was connected with the Middleton Park C.C. as player, coach, umpire and groundsman.

HESELTINE, LIEUT. COLONEL CHRISTOPHER, O.B.E., D.L., J.P., President of Hampshire County Club and in several years a member of the M.C.C. Committee, died on June 13, at Lymington, aged 74. He failed to get a place in the Eton eleven and, going up to Trinity Hall, did not find favour at Cambridge in the cricket field, but played in the Association football eleven against Oxford in the winter of 1891. He began county cricket when Hampshire were second-class, and was 27 years old before making a name as a fast bowler in the best company. Fully utilising his height, he brought the ball over at the extreme extent of his arm with deadly effect at times, but he was inconsistent and required careful nursing because apt to tire. He showed to most advantage in 1897 when he took 41 wickets at 17.12 apiece, his best performance being in a drawn game with Surrey at Southampton, nine wickets falling to him for 61 runs. Among his victims was Robert Abel without scoring in each innings. In July next year at Portsmouth, Heseltine again dismissed Abel for nought, the famous Surrey professional thus failing three times in succession when facing the Hampshire express. He went to India, South Africa and West Indies with teams captained by Lord Hawke. Joining the Imperial Yeomanry, he saw active service in the South African campaign, and in the last European war, when in the Royal Fusiliers, he was twice mentioned in dispatches.

HICKSON, MR. OSWALD SQUIRE, who died on January 9, played in his youth for Northamptonshire.

JELF, COMMANDER H. F. D., R.N., who played for Derbyshire occasionally in the 1910 and 1911 seasons, died at Southport on April 18.

JOHN, GEORGE, who died at Port of Spain, Trinidad, on January 14, was a prominent fast bowler in the West Indies. He toured England in 1923, and came out with the best average in all matches played by the touring team--90 wickets at 14.68 each. But G. N. Francis, a bowler of still more pace, did much better work in the first-class matches. This was five years before West Indies were accorded Test match status by playing England three times in this country.

The chief feature of the 1923 season was the batting of G. Challenor. Thanks to him, with an aggregate of 221 without being dismissed, and the bowling of Francis, Surrey were beaten by ten wickets, and in the last match John helped Francis to cause a panic among a strong batting side at Scarborough, six wickets falling for 19 runs before John Douglas and P. G. H. Fender enabled H. D. G. Leveson Gower's team to scramble home by four wickets when set no more than 28 runs to get in the last innings.

KELLY, MR. F. FITZMAURICE, a leading organiser of cricket in America for many years, died in Staten Island on June 5, aged 81. A left-hand bowler of medium pace, he often played for New York against touring teams, and as Secretary of the Metropolitan League, of the New York and New Jersey Cricket Association for 25 years until 1935, and then for five years of the Metropolitan District Cricket Association, he was well known to English, Australian and Canadian cricketers. For very many years he contributed to Wisden and also The Cricketer.

KINCH, MR. TOM, who died on June 22 at Leeds, played cricket for West Hartlepool and Durham County from 1906 to 1926. He captained the county side with distinction from 1920 to 1923, and also Durham County Pilgrims. In all matches for the county he scored 2,843 runs, average 24.30. In 1919 he made 105 against the Australian Imperial Forces team, a specially fine performance because only five centuries were scored against the Australians during their successful tour. A brilliant cover-point, he played in several matches for M.C.C., of which he was a member. In 1919 he was in the Minor Counties XI against M.C.C. at Lord's. A very fine golfer, he played for Seaton Carew Club and Durham County.

KING, MR. G. L., who played a little for Sussex some sixty years ago after being three years in the Rugby eleven, died at Brighton in July, aged 87. A good bat in club cricket, he retained a close interest in Sussex. Sir Home Gordon mentioned in The Cricketer that King's father played for Sussex at Brighton in 1842 when the county beat England by six runs. G. L. King was a cousin of Mr. A. Miller-Hallett, President of the Sussex club.

LAGDEN, MR. REGINALD BOUSFIELD, O.B.E., M.C., was killed in an aeroplane accident while returning to India from England late in October. After representing Marlborough at cricket, Rugby football, rackets and hockey, he went up to Pembroke College and gained his cricket Blue, besides playing hockey for Cambridge. Three times he played against Oxford, twice helping in victory at Lord's after hard fights, and being on the losing side in 1914. He began by scoring 61 and 6 and taking four wickets, so having a large share in beating by three wickets an Oxford eleven which included his elder brother, R. O. Lagden, by whom he was bowled in the second innings. Cambridge won in 1913 by four wickets, R. B. Lagden again being conspicuous with 71 and 45; and he finished his cricket career at Cambridge with 20 and 19 and taking one wicket, Oxford being successful by 194 runs. So his six innings in these matches realised 222 runs, an average of 37.

A very good half-back, R. B. Lagden played hockey for Cambridge, finishing captain in 1914, and he became an international. After serving with distinction in the last war he went on business to Bengal, where he played cricket and hockey for many years, giving valuable help in increasing the popularity of both games. Aged 51, R. B. Lagden left a widow and six children living at Guildford.

LANGDON, THOMAS, who played for Gloucestershire from 1900 to 1914 scoring 10,729 runs with an average of 21.24, died on November 30, aged 65. Despite steady improvement from a modest start, he lost his form so completely in 1906 that he was dropped from the side, but, strangely enough, next year proved his best. Only G. L. Jessop, his captain, scored more runs, and his 1,219 in the County Championship came as the result of consistent, if rugged, cricket, his highest innings being 97 and average 29.02. He accomplished one performance unequalled that season. In the match with the strong South African side--particularly good in bowling--he and Board hit up 95 in an hour at the start of the match, the most valuable first-wicket stand against the touring team. Otherwise the batting was so poor that the county began their second innings 189 behind. Then Langdon, giving another admirable display, set up a personal record by carrying his bat for 78 in a total of 151, the next best effort being 20 by Jessop. In playing through the innings and remaining unbeaten Langdon accomplished what no other batsman did against that South African team. In this match he showed his ability both as a free scorer and patient defensive player without forsaking his skill in making strokes of all kinds. He exceeded the thousand in two subsequent seasons and made 824 runs, average 20.09 in 1914, the war finishing his first-class career. An occasional bowler, left-hand medium pace, he took two wickets for eight runs against Middlesex in 1907, but altogether is credited with only 19 at 43.94 apiece by Sir Home Gordon, who also has 197 catches to Langdon's credit in Cricket Form at a Glance.

LATTER, MR. A., headmaster of King's School, Canterbury, from 1916 to 1927, died on January 23, aged 73. He played in the King's School XI from 1884 to 1889, actually captaining the side for three seasons. He subsequently captained the St. Lawrence club, excelling as a batsman. At Rugby football he earned high honours as a three-quarter, getting his Oxford Blue in 1892 and playing for Blackheath, Kent and South of England.

LEAF, MR. FREDERICK WALTON, who died in London on March 27, aged 85, was in the 1878 Harrow XI.

LUBBOCK, MR. ALFRED BASIL, died at Seaford on September 3, aged 68. He was in the Eton XI 1894 and 1895.

LUPTON, MAJOR ARTHUR WILLIAM, died suddenly at Carlton Manor, Yeadon, near Leeds, on April 14. The unusual experience fell to him of captaining a county for the first time when 46 years of age, and he celebrated the notable choice of the Yorkshire club by leading them in 1925 to their fourth consecutive Championship. He retained the office for two more years and altogether scored 668 runs with an average of 10.27, but did not take a wicket. Yorkshire were not champions again until 1931. Lupton was a fast bowler and free left-handed batsman at Sedbergh School and he played once for the county in 1908. Born on February 23, 1879, he died in his 66th year.

LUXMOORE, THE RIGHT HON. LORD JUSTICE, died in a London hospital on September 25 after a heart attack. Educated at King's School, Canterbury, and Jesus College, Cambridge, Sir Arthur Fairfax Charles Coryndon Luxmoore took a prominent part in games. Excelling at Rugby football, he got his Blue, playing at Queen's Club against Oxford in 1896 and 1897 while in 1900 he played for England against Scotland, and next year against Wales. His cricket interest centred chiefly in the Kent county club, of which he was President in 1933 when they finished third in the championship competition.

MCCUBBIN, MAJOR GEORGE REYNOLDS, who died at Johannesburg on May 9, aged 46, took part in two first-class matches, both for Transvaal against Rhodesia in March 1923. In the second of these, at Bulawayo, batting No. 10, he scored 97, adding 221 for the ninth wicket with N. V. Lindsay (160 not out), a South African record for that wicket which still stands. A pilot in the R.F.C. in the last war, he was awarded the D.S.O., and won fame in June 1916 when he shot down the famous German ace, Max Immelmann. He served with the South African Air Force in North Africa in the present war, but had to retire owing to ill-health.

MARTINEAU, SIR PHILIP HUBERT, who died at Wentworth, Surrey, on October 7 in his 83rd year, played for Harrow in 1880 and 1881.

MORTIMER, MR. LEONARD, who died at Holmwood, Surrey, on January 20, aged 72, was in the Clifton XI in 1889 and appeared in Oxford trial matches in 1892 and 1893 without obtaining his Blue, but played Rugby football against Cambridge in 1892. He played for the Streatham Cricket Club.

MYERS, HUBERT, an old Yorkshire professional, died at Hobart, Tasmania, on June 12, aged 67. First tried for the strongest of our counties in 1901 when 24 years old, Myers played intermittently until the end of the 1910 season, when he was dropped in company with Rothery and Wilkinson. A very useful all-round player, Myers would have been welcome in many counties, but Yorkshire could not find room for all the talent available, and Myers, like others, suffered from being in such high-class cricket. During his ten years connection with county cricket Yorkshire were champions four times, Myers helping to the extent of 282 wickets at 25.15 apiece and averaging 18.31 an innings for 4,450 runs. After some experience as coach he settled down with the Tasmanian Cricket Association, played in many representative matches, and won the Association batting averages.. His medium-paced bowling remained good, if not difficult, on extra easy pitches, and Mr. E. A. Eltham, brother of Lieutenant W. Keith Eltham--killed in France in 1916--describes how well Myers batted against New South Wales. Also how Myers had a fleeting return to the stage when captaining Tasmania against Arthur Gilligan's side at Hobart in January 1925. As recorded in Wisden, he top-scored for the locals (40). I can still picture his gratification when the English players, out on the ground prior to the commencement of the match, were recognising his old faded `White Rose' cap and fraternising with him.

NEEDHAM, SIR CHRISTOPHER, President of the Lancashire County Club in 1941 and 1942 and a Vice-President for many years, died on April 29, aged 77.

NOTTINGHAM, FREDERICK, who died at York on January 23, aged 53, was official scorer for Yorkshire after the last war until 1923. He played for the York and Harrogate clubs.

PEEBLES, MR. HOWARD MAXWELL, who died at Hove on November 15, aged 72, played for Harrow in 1889 and 1890.

RAITT, LIEUT. COLONEL FRANCIS JOLLIFFE, a member of I Zingari and Free Foresters, died in an Edinburgh nursing home on September 29, aged 84. Very well known at Lord's, he, perhaps, was most popular in Yorkshire, his annual cricket week at Howsham Hall being one of the social events of the season. During many years he took part in Yorkshire Gentlemen matches, country house and regimental cricket, besides appearing occasionally for Hampshire. A senior member of York Race Committee, he acted as steward at many race meetings in the North.

SALMON, MR. HARRY, J.P., of West Hartlepool, died on January 17, aged 67. Standing about six feet three inches tall, he was prominent in the best local club cricket as a powerful hitter and fast bowler. He played one specially brilliant innings of over 200 at Redcar. Good at most games, he often appeared in the Durham County hockey eleven and was captain of the Seaton Carew golf club.

SANDERSON, SIR LANCELOT, a member of M.C.C. since 1884, who served on the Committee from 1933 to 1937, and was an auditor of the club at the time of his death, passed away on March 11, aged 80. Six feet tall and well built, he bowled slow with marked effect for Harrow against Eton at Lord's in 1882, taking seven wickets in the match for 66 runs. Next year at Cambridge he scored 37 not out for Hon. M. B. Hawke's side in the Freshmen's match, but was never in the running for a Blue. Very good at rackets, he played for the University against Oxford in 1885.

SCOTT, MR. WILLIAM MARTIN, who died on February 26, aged 73, went from Craigmount School in Scotland to Cambridge University, where he played in the Freshmen's match of 1889 and twice in Seniors' matches, captaining one side in 1891. A good batsman and useful bowler, he took part in other University trials, but in very strong company failed to get his Blue. Among his contemporaries were F. S. Jackson, S. M. J. Woods, C. M. Wells, F. G. J. Ford and Gregor MacGregor. A fine Rugby half-back, he played against Oxford in 1889; injuries handicapped him in other seasons, but he played for England and his native county Northumberland. He was the youngest son of the late Sir Walter Scott, Bart., of Newcastle.

SIMPSON, MR. EDWARD THORNHILL BECKETT, an Oxford Blue in 1888, whose best effort was 82 against Gentlemen of England, died on March 20 at Wakefield, aged 77. He failed to get into the Harrow XI, but the Blue was recommendation enough for him to play a little for Yorkshire during the seasons 1889 to 1891--fine fielding helped him to find favour; he did little with the bat.

SOMERS, LIEUT. COLONEL LORD, K.C.M.G., D.S.O., M.C., who kept closely in touch with cricket from his Charterhouse days, died on July 14, when 57 years old, at Eastnor Castle, Herefordshire. In 1904 he scored 115 not out for Charterhouse, helping to beat Westminster at Godalming and showing himself a determined batsman at a crisis. He also made 95 and 28 against Haverford College. Poor health handicapped him then, but he averaged 68.50 in six innings. He appeared occasionally in the seasons 1923 to 1925 for Worcestershire, making 42 against Derbyshire; he could not give much time to cricket in the field but was a Vice-President of the county club and President of M.C.C. in 1936. Besides his Army activities in the First Life Guards, with whom he distinguished himself in the 1914-18 war, he succeeded Lord Baden-Powell as Chief Scout. After gaining popularity as Governor of Victoria, he was Acting Governor-General of Australia, and when visiting Melbourne he was received enthusiastically by the large crowd at a Test match.

STEVENSON-MOORE, MR. NORMAN STUART, who died at Banstead, Surrey, on November 6, in his 45th year, was in the Winchester XI of 1916 and 1917.

STOGDON, MR. JOHN HUBERT, who played for Harrow, Cambridge University and Middlesex, died on December 17, aged 68. In 1894 against Eton he made the highest score in each innings (32 and 19), and next year, when captain, he played a brilliant innings of 124, the third highest hit in the big Schools match at headquarters. Stogdon never showed his best form at Lord's against Oxford, and he met with only small success when appearing occasionally in county cricket, but he possessed splendid style, using his height to the full extent in playing forward and driving. Almost as a coincidence, T. G. O. Cole, who first played for Harrow when J. H. Stogdon was captain, died on December 15. Very good at rackets, Stogdon, with A. S. Crawley, won the Public Schools Cup in 1895, while he and E. Garnett won the rackets doubles for Cambridge against Oxford in 1897. A son of J. H. Stogdon, J. W. Stogdon, played for Harrow in 1928 and 1929.

STONES, HENRY, who died at Castleford in September, aged 72, played for Castleford club and for Yorkshire Colts in 1894; also in a Surrey Colts match at the Oval.

STOPS, MR. JOHN FAULKNER, who died at Northampton on June 4, aged 68, showed to advantage at cricket, golf, lawn tennis and especially Rugby football, at which he appeared for East Midlands, while he played hockey for Northants and Midland Counties. After getting his cricket and Association football colours at Wellingborough School, he played in the county cricket eleven.

STORK, MR. J. B., who died on August 26, aged 77, played for Northamptonshire when a second-class county. A good fast bowler, he did well in the Sedbergh School XI in 1883 and 1884.

STUDD, SIR JOHN EDWARD KYNASTON, Bart., O.B.E., the eldest but the last of three brothers who captained Cambridge in consecutive seasons, gained high renown in other walks of life before passing on at the age of 85 on January 14. Altogether six brothers Studd played in the Eton XI, those besides the three Cambridge captains, being A. H., H. W. and R. A., and the youngest of them, R. A., got his Blue at Cambridge in 1895, while an elder half-brother, E. J. C., played for Cheltenham in 1866. G. B. captained Cambridge in 1882, and now of the three he alone survives, C. T., most famous in the cricket world, having died in 1931. All three were in the Cambridge eleven of 1881 when Oxford won by 135 runs, and the next year they helped in a revenge victory by seven wickets with G. B. in command, a result exactly repeated under C. T. in 1883; but strange to relate Oxford turned the tables by the same margin when J. E. K. led the Light Blues.

At Eton J. E. K. Studd was never on the losing side in the big School matches with Harrow and Winchester, but in these seasons his best score was 52 against Winchester in 1877. After two years in business J. E. K. went up to Cambridge and was four years in the eleven without doing much in the University match, his aggregate for eight innings reaching only 100, but in 1882 he and his brothers took a large share in defeating by six wickets the great Australian side who later in the season beat England at Kennington Oval by seven runs. J. E. K. scored 6 and 66, G. B. 42 and 48, C. T. 118 and 17 not out. When Cambridge batted a second time requiring 165 runs for victory, the two elder brothers put up 106, the first appearance of three figures on the telegraph board against an Australian side in England without a wicket falling.

After leaving Cambridge, J. E. K. Studd played occasionally for Middlesex, but gave his time to business and the Polytechnic, of which he was President from 1903 until his death. Knighted in 1923, Sir Kynaston became Lord Mayor of London in 1928 and was created Baronet at the end of his official year. When President of M.C.C. in September 1930 he gave a banquet at Merchant Taylors' Hall to the Australian team captained by W. M. Woodfull.

Canon F. H. Gillingham, the old Dulwich College and Essex batsman, in his address at the Memorial Service in St. Paul's Cathedral, said that after coming down from Cambridge Kynaston Studd realised that games were but a preparation for sterner duties, and in his presence it was easier for men to be good and harder to be bad. He made such rapid progress in the life of the City that he became the leading citizen of this Empire. Everything he touched he lifted up.

As a Merchant Taylor and Fruiterer and a high officer in the Masonic world, Sir Kynaston exercised his splendid influence in the quietest manner, with benevolence a leading feature in his character.

SWAYNE, MR. JOHN MONTAGUE, who died at Salisbury on September 18, aged 79, played for Winchester 1882-84, and for Wiltshire. He was three times Mayor of Wilton.

THACKRAY, MR. RICHARD, who was killed in an accident at a mine near Johannesburg on May 18, aged 38, played several times for Griqualand West in the Currie Cup tournament of 1926-27 and against the M.C.C. team during the following season.

TILLARD, MR. CHARLES, who was in the Repton XI from 1866 to 1870, played twice for Cambridge in matches which Oxford won, and who appeared occasionally for Norfolk from 1868 and Surrey from 1874, died at Bathford, near Bath, on March 10, aged nearly 93. Bowling fast round-arm and very straight, as noted in Scores and Biographies, he did some remarkable performances. In 1870 for Repton he took 17 Uppingham wickets--15 bowled; and in 1873 at Lord's, when Cambridge lost by three wickets, he accounted for all seven Oxford batsmen who fell in the last innings, bowling six and catching the other. In a match at Kennington Oval in June 1874 between University players and other Gentlemen of England not Blues he clean bowled the most notable pair of opening batsmen of that time-- W. G. Grace and A. N. Hornby. He was a hard hitter and fielded well, generally at cover-point. Born at Wimbledon on April 18, 1851, Charles Tillard was the oldest surviving University Blue except F. A. MacKinnon, who played in the 1870 match. After leaving Cambridge he became a master at Cheltenham College.

TREW, CAPTAIN VICTOR PHILIP, M.C., late 4th Hussars, who died in London on July 19 in his 50th year, played for Harrow in 1911.

TRUMBLE, MR. JOHN WILLIAM, who played for Victoria and Australia, died in Melbourne after a long illness on August 17, aged 80. By comparison with his famous brother Hugh, John Trumble accomplished little, but he was a useful all-round player. In seven Test matches against England he scored 243 runs with an average of 20.2 and took ten wickets at 22.2 apiece. He first played for Victoria in 1884, and for them made 486 runs and took 52 wickets. He bowled with a good high delivery and was noted for accurate length. He came to England with the team captained by H. J. H. Scott in 1886, but never showed form up to the standard of his colleagues. England were superior in every way that season and won all three Test matches, two of them very easily by an innings with many runs to spare. A solicitor by profession, he retained a close connection with cricket and was one of the oldest members of the Melbourne Club.

A letter from him on Cricket Reform to The Times was reprinted in Wisden, 1927. It dealt specially with the over-preparation of pitches, particularly in Australia.

TURNER, MR. J. R. F., the founder of the Oxford scheme for coaching elementary schoolboys in the art of cricket, died at Burton-on-Trent in April, aged 77.

TUTT, ALFRED JOSEPH, groundman at Hastings for 55 years, died at Ilfracombe on February 23, aged 72. He retired in the autumn of 1940 after maintaining the good condition of the Central Ground with assiduous care since being in control after Mr. Manwaring handed him the reins. For many years he showed useful all-round form for the Alexandra Club and for Hastings, but his fame rested on the splendid state of the wicket on which the leading batsmen often revealed their best form--notably C. B. Fry with 159 and K. S. Ranjitsinhji with 287 not out against Surrey in 1902 in the Sussex record total of 705 for 8 wickets. Abel, 179, and Hayward, 144, made 246 for Surrey's first wicket; Captain H. S. Bush followed with a brilliant 137. Altogether this draw yielded 1,427 runs, then a record for a first-class match in England, and only 21 wickets fell.

WARNER, MR. ROBERT STEWART, AUCHER, K.C., who captained the first West Indies team that visited England in 1900, died at Nynehead Court, Taunton, on December 1, aged 85. A very useful batsman, he unfortunately contracted malarial fever when getting accustomed to cricket in England. He played a very good innings of 53 not out at Trent Bridge without revealing the form associated with his brother, Sir Pelham Warner--fourteen years his junior. In fact at 41 he was rather old to undergo the fatigue of continuous cricket, but he will remain in history as a keen lover and supporter of the game in West Indies. To quote The Times, he was a direct descendant of Sir Thomas Warner, who founded the first English colony, St. Kitts, in West Indies. Aucher Warner left Trinidad in 1922, but retained his close connection with the colony by writing in 1934 a book, Sir Thomas Warner, a Chronicle of his Family, and also by founding the Trinidad Cocoa Planters Association. Educated in Trinidad and at Oriel College, Oxford, he was called to the Bar, Inner Temple, in 1882, and he followed in the steps of his father as Solicitor-General and Attorney-General of Trinidad.

WATSON, REV. THOMAS HERMAN, who died on February 15, aged 63, at Singleton, near Blackpool, where he was vicar for 24 years, played in Freshmen and Seniors matches at Cambridge, but only once for the University--in 1903. In the Freshmen's Match in 1901 he took six wickets for 74 runs in an innings. In 1904 he appeared once for Warwickshire, but did not fulfil his early promise shown when at St. Bees School, Cumberland.

WEIGALL, MR. GERALD JOHN VILLIERS, one of the best-known personalities connected with the game, died on May 17, aged 73. Troubled by illness from the outbreak of war, he passed away in a Dublin hospital.

After three years in the Wellington College eleven Gerry Weigall--his pet name from early years--received his Cambridge Blue from Gregor MacGregor in 1891, and next season under F. S. Jackson kept his place in the batting order as number three, scored 63 not out when his side collapsed and 25 in the follow-on against Oxford, who won by five wickets.

A very smart field at cover point, he was always welcome in the Kent eleven from 1891 to 1903. In his first county match he played a good innings of 73 against Warwickshire at Edgbaston. A stubborn defender with good cutting power, he usually batted low on the list after his University days and often pulled the game round. His best score for Kent was 138 not out at Maidstone in 1897 against the Philadelphians; at Cambridge for Emmanuel College against Peterhouse in 1891 he made 265--the highest innings he ever played. He was in the Gentlemen's XI at Scarborough in 1900.

Altogether in first-class cricket he scored 6,212 runs, with an average of nearly 20. For some years from 1923 he coached the young players at Tonbridge and captained Kent Second XI; he also coached Yorkshire Colts for a time. He went to America with Kent in 1903, and in Argentine for an M.C.C. side in 1926 he averaged 26.29. With Free Foresters he visited Germany in 1920.

A stickler for orthodox batting, Gerry Weigall used to amuse and delight all comers in the Pavilion at Lord's with his portrayal of the correct follow through in the off-drive and of his stylish cut with a borrowed bat, stick or umbrella. Seldom did he miss a Kent match, and at Canterbury Gerry Weigall could be described as part of the Festival.

He represented Cambridge against Oxford at rackets after being champion at Wellington, and took a prominent part in popularising squash--excelling in that very hard game until approaching seventy years of age.

WENYON, MR. H. J., who played occasionally for Middlesex from 1921 to 1923, died in July. His one innings of note was 51 not out against Warwickshire in the first county match at Lord's in 1922; strangely enough he did not appear again for Middlesex that season.

WHITBREAD, MR. SAMUEL HOWARD, C.B., who died on July 29, aged 86, was for 44 years associated with the Bedfordshire County Club, first as Vice-President, and for 25 years as the devoted President.

A member of the M.C.C., he was a familiar figure at the Eton and Harrow matches during most of his long life.

WHITEHEAD, HARRY, a very good bat for Leicestershire from 1898 to 1922, died on September 16, within three days of completing 69 years. If rather cramped in style, a symptom of weakness in many of his county colleagues, he was when set difficult to dismiss, as many bowlers discovered with some surprise. Statistics in Sir Home Gordon's Form at a Glance show that he averaged 23.07 for an aggregate of 15,112 runs--no mean figures for a man accustomed to face adversity with one of the least successful counties. As an opening batsman Whitehead earned considerable renown, notably in 1906 at Worcester, when he and C. J. B. Wood hit up 380, establishing for Leicestershire a first-wicket record still unbeaten, and making the way for their county's highest total, 701 for four wickets. In the return at Leicester he again excelled with 139 in a total of 382 which brought his county an innings victory--a 6 and twenty-one 4's showed that he could punish bowlers when master of the situation. But he was apt to fail, and in that season he totalled no more than 776, average 26.75. Three times in a season his aggregate reached four figures, the highest being 1,116, average 29.36, in 1913, when he was 38 years of age. In 1919, when county cricket was resumed, he played comparatively little but showed consistent form with an average of 35.50 for 426 runs.

WHITTINGTON, MR. THOMAS AUBREY L., died on July 17, aged 63. A very good bat, he headed the Glamorgan averages with 44.23 in 1908, and in 1911 did still better with 45.88, while his consistent form was shown in 1910 when he scored most runs for the county, 600, and averaged 42.85. When Glamorgan received first-class status in 1921, Whittington found run-getting less easy, but he captained the side for two seasons before being succeeded in 1924 by Mr. J. C. Clay. Prior to 1915 Mr. Whittington acted as honorary secretary for several years.

WILSON, THE REV. CLEMENT EUSTACE MACRO, Prebendary of Bishopshull in Lichfield Cathedral, who died on February 8, aged 68, at Colverhall, Shropshire, of which he was Vicar, stood out supreme in the Uppingham XI some fifty years ago. After a moderate start in 1891, he profited so much from the supervision of H. H. Stephenson, most famous of coaches, that in 1893 he scored 722 runs, including 117, 145 and 183 not out consecutively. In the last effort against Repton he carried his bat through the innings. He averaged 90.25 that season and 44.2 when captain. He also headed the bowling averages in 1893. Gaining his Cambridge Blue as a freshman, he finished four years in the eleven as captain. He progressed in excellence, 35, 80, 77 and 115 being his best efforts in the four successive matches against Oxford at Lord's. It is interesting to recall that E. Rockley Wilson scored a hundred (118) in the 1901 University match, the only instance of two brothers accomplishing this for Cambridge, while H. K. Foster, with 121 in 1895, and R. E. Foster, 171 in 1900, set up a similar record for Oxford--all four innings being played in the course of seven years. From 1896 to 1899 Clem Wilson played a little for Yorkshire, averaging 25.60 for ten completed innings, his best score being 91 not out against Kent at Canterbury in 1897, the highest innings in the match. The calls of Church prevented him continuing first-class cricket. He toured South Africa with a team captained by Lord Hawke in the winter of 1898. Besides his ability as a batsman, Clem Wilson bowled medium pace and possessed the exceptional craft of being able to use with effect either arm. In 1895 at the Oval Abel and Holland mastered the Cambridge attack, and Wilson ended a stand of 306 for the third wicket by holding a return catch when bowling left-hand.

WILSON, MR. LESLIE, died on April 17, aged 85. While at school at Tonbridge, like so many other noted Kent batsmen, he learned the brightest and most graceful way of making runs, with the natural result that he was welcome in the county eleven whenever business permitted from 1883 to 1897. Cuts and drives to either side of the wicket made by perfect timing marked every innings of any length that he played. Always looking for runs, he sometimes erred in rashness or he might have reached higher prominence in the cricket world. As it was, he scored 3,507 runs--average 20.47--and seldom failed. In 1889 he came first in the Kent averages with 36--a high figure in those days--for an aggregate of 360, and the highest score of his first-class career, 132 at Canterbury against Gloucestershire.

YEOMAN, MR. WILLIAM FARQUHAR, who died at Cape Town on February 2, aged 58, was one of South Africa's earliest Rhodes scholars. He appeared in the Oxford Freshmen's match in 1905, but was not tried for the University side. On returning to South Africa he played for Western Province in three Currie Cup tournaments, scoring 457 runs with an average of 26.88, his highest score being 86 against Transvaal at Durban in March 1911. An arm wound in the Great War ended his active cricket, but he was for some years one of the Western Province Selection Committee.

© John Wisden & Co